Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dunkin Donuts Has Discontinued Lemon

No, not lemon flavored donuts. Lemon, as in lemon for tea, or iced tea. Fresh slices as well as juice packets. My local Dunkin employees say that all their tea drinkers have been outraged and it will only get worse in warmer weather when iced tea season arrives. This is not a mistake or a local situation the entire franchise has discontinued lemon. This has got to be one of the stupidest decisions ever.

by Anonymousreply 70March 6, 2022 11:31 PM

They also discontinued Dunkin Donuts over the past two decades, cutting costs and quality in order to finance expansion,. In 10 years it will be a dying chain like Pizza Hut, another once high quality brand with a great product that systematically demolished their product.

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2022 9:33 AM

The whores who run these corporations always think quantity over quality and it kills them every time.

They are just economic size queens

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2022 9:42 AM

Just dunk a lemon donut in your tea.

The answers in the name of the place.

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2022 10:05 AM

Dunkin Donuts is charging 2,30 Euro for a donut in Europe. They can keep their overpriced crap. This is insane. Do you guys also pay $2.60 for a fucking donut in the US?

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2022 10:26 AM

Wow no its currently $1.49 but they've raised prices continuously in the past few years. It went from .99 to 1.09 to 1.29 and now $1.49. To me, $1.29 was annoying but doable, but $1.49 is too much. $2.60 is absolutely ridiculous for a donut. Do people pay it?

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2022 10:34 AM

Aren’t these franchises?

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2022 10:40 AM

I haven't been to a DD in over 30 years, since the day I bought 15 gigantic bear claws on the way into work for the coffee room. The first one was cut in half and the inside was nothing but raw dough. Others were cut open and they had the same problem. It pissed me off so much I got back in the car and took them back. The Pakistanis who had just bought the franchise had either been poorly trained or were stupid, but had no idea how to fry pastries and I told them they obviously had the oil too hot and that was why the outside was cooked and the inside was raw. They looked at me like I was from Mars. Got my money back and did the smart thing and started going a little out of my way to Krispy Kreme for office pastries.

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2022 10:40 AM

They are franchises but corporate makes the decisions

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2022 10:47 AM

Can’t give anything away for free. They might “lose” ,005 cent per customer.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2022 10:53 AM

instead they will lose the actual entire customers

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2022 11:16 AM

Single Donut is 2.50 Euro in Berlin. That's $2.79. 6er Box is $12.30 (€11)and 12er Box is $22,30 (€19,90). I love the apple cinnamon Donuts, but $2.80 for a donut is just too much. Btw, 6er was 6.99 and 12er 9.90 Euro only 3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2022 11:17 AM

I'm assuming donuts aren't as ubiquitous in Europe so maybe theyre gouging since you guys have no options. Almost 3 bucks for a donut, sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2022 11:20 AM

Those prices are outlandish R11. A single donut at DD in the US is .99 or a dozen for $9.99.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2022 11:20 AM

someone talk Ben off the ledge

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2022 11:23 AM

its $1.49 here

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2022 11:45 AM

#Bringbacklemon

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2022 12:09 PM

Lemon in restaurants and fast food eateries are known to be swimming with microbes. Makes sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2022 12:25 PM

Who cares about microbes, we want our lemon. It hasn't hurt us yet!

Besides, they also offered hermetically sealed packets of lemon juice which are microbe free and are also discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2022 12:39 PM

The article is basically clickbait. At the end , it states

"there haven't been any illness outbreaks traced back to contaminated lemons in drinks"

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2022 12:41 PM

Lemon for tea is kind of like milk or cream for coffee, it cuts through any harshness or bitterness and makes it more palatable

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2022 12:46 AM

Dunkin has been circling the drain for the past several years. Have you seen their new green milk Shamrock Macchiato? All of their new stuff looks disgusting and I always wonder who the hell is buying that garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2022 12:49 AM

Disappointed to find out that their doughnuts are premade.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2022 5:26 PM

Seems like a sensible move. Fresh produce has been in short supply since the pandemic set in and prices this year are getting outrageous. If you’re that particular about your tea why are you getting it at a doughnut shop?

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2022 5:33 PM

Domino's doesn't give out red pepper flakes packets nor parmesan cheese packets for free anymore. They charge a buck something for a little container of them products.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2022 5:49 PM

If only CNN could do the same.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2022 5:55 PM

[quote] Disappointed to find out that their doughnuts are premade.

It’s a corporate chain. You expect quality?

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2022 7:53 PM

R26 - back in the day each shop made their own donuts — I don’t think they switched to selling pre-made until the early 00s.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2022 8:00 PM

Yes, but we live in the 20s. Everything corporate is crap nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2022 8:21 PM

I've never understood the fascination with Dunkin Donuts. I can get better coffee at most convenience stores for 1/2 the price. Ditto for Starbucks. Maybe I don't have taste?

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2022 9:12 PM

Yeah any local hole in the wall donut shop will have better product than Dunkin Donuts. I haven’t had one since the 90s and I still remember how disappointing it was.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2022 9:51 PM

Dunkin Donuts coffee doesn't make you want to poop. Very important for subway riders.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2022 9:53 PM

This reminds me of when Wendy's stopped carrying Sanka packets. I always requested one to stir into my Frosty. So good (and it oughtta be, because Sanka is worthless otherwise).

Oh, and I've never been big on Dunkin' Donuts.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2022 10:02 PM

R29, I think some of us remember when Dunkin' Donuts was good. It had reliably good coffee and fresh doughnuts. It was good at the basics, long before the most recent coffee-shop epidemic. I assume they've fancied up the menu in response to market research, so I don't think they'll go back to the original style.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2022 1:38 AM

They were my client in the 90s in Boston during their transition away from coffee and donuts. I was on the PR team that had to fire Fred the Baker!

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2022 3:35 AM

r23 wanting lemon in your tea is not being "particular", its pretty much standard practice.

"85 percent of the tea consumed in the U.S. is iced tea. 46 percent of tea drinkers use sugar (includes artificial sweeteners). 4 percent use honey. 70 percent add lemon."

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2022 4:56 AM

Former bar / restaurant worker here.

Lemon slices are kind of a pain in the butt to keep in supply. Once they're sliced, they are very perishable. They get slimy. Also: hot tea drinkers are the worst customers. (We had a thread about alcoholic drinks and I did my breakdown of different drinks corresponding with different personalities.)

Also, just as a home consumer, lemons are expensive and you have to use them pretty quickly, even before you cut them.

Finally, donuts go with coffee, not iced tea.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2022 5:08 AM

Its not about what is easiest and most convenient for the restaurant, its about serving what the customers want. As the article above states, 70 percent of people drink their tea (hot or iced) with lemon. It's like saying milk and cream goes bad too fast and has to be refrigerated carefully so lets not offer it for coffee. That's your job! Its about the customer. Starbucks, McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King and countless other franchises and restaurants easily manage to stock fresh lemon for tea and iced tea.

And why would one automatically assume that just because one is getting a drink at Dunkin they are having a donut with it? They are now on par with Starbucks, their biggest sellers by far are beverages and they offer a whole menu of food items besides donuts.

by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2022 6:28 AM

a mom and pop chain in Phoenix AZ has moved in and taken the opportunity DD has opened up,.. all donuts made on site. BoSa Donuts, 1.50 a donut, but what a difference ... don't know about the lemon!

by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2022 7:46 AM

Wake me up when CNN discontinues Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 39March 2, 2022 7:48 AM

Hack: when storing lemons in the fridge, keep them in water. They stay fresher longer.

by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2022 1:12 PM

R27, I worked at a Dunkin Donuts as a high school summer job in the late 80s. My particular store (in a mall food court ugh) had donuts brought in from another store (free-standing) that the owner ran. He had a particularly lucrative store in a commuter railroad station. They were naked, and we would fill them and frost them on-site. Twice a day, they were fresh as hell. And we had to toss them at closing.

I used to double-fill a few for my friends and favorite customers.

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2022 1:34 PM

Dunkin Donuts in Manhattan are now owned/staffed by Pakistani or Bangladeshi people now. The employees are surly and slow and there’s a significant language barrier.

I’ll go to the Kristy Kreme.

by Anonymousreply 42March 2, 2022 1:39 PM

How barbaric.

OTOH, getting donuts from Dunkin (or KK--they taste like fried corn syrup) is a good way to show you lack "quiet good taste" or good taste of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2022 1:46 PM

"all their tea drinkers"? Why would you go to Dunkin Donuts for tea? Why would you go there for anything? All these threads about shitty chain stores changing hours or reducing their stock are so tiresome. Where do you even need tea outside of your home or your office? Open your own tea house if you can't deal with it or start drinking coffee, we're not in England or one of its former colonial dependencies.

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2022 1:47 PM

On top of that, it's a damn teabag. It's not like they're putting loose tea into a teapot and steeping, etc. What is really lost by discontinuing tea?

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2022 5:37 PM

I prefer the tea from Datalounge…spilled, of course.

by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2022 12:18 AM

R7 Never saw bear claws in Dunkin Donuts.

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2022 12:47 AM

Lemon-filled donuts are my favorite - just so long as they don't discontinue those.

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2022 1:05 AM

Bring your own lemon. BYOL.

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2022 1:33 AM

r44 is either a parody post, a triggered queen off her meds or simply a horrible person

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2022 7:15 AM

There was one in my town - it used to have a pink neon sign, in script. It was in Massachusetts, I used to go with my dad to pick up a dozen donuts on Sunday morning. One morning we saw Rocky Marciano in there. Anyway I'm amazed they've gone global, but too bad their donuts aren't what they used to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 5, 2022 5:27 PM

Don Lemon? I understand.

by Anonymousreply 52March 5, 2022 5:28 PM

The only thing I like at Dunkin is the maple frosted doughnut. If I want any other doughnut I go to Krispy Kreme. And, if I had a Tim Horton's near me, I'd probably go there all the time and be 500lbs.

by Anonymousreply 53March 5, 2022 5:42 PM

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But nobody has said what you're supposed to do when life takes away your lemons.

by Anonymousreply 54March 5, 2022 6:15 PM

This reminds me of when Taco Bell stopped putting green onions on their cheesy fiesta potatoes. I heard they got sued over a salmonella outbreak from them.

Back in the 90's when I waited tabled at TGI Friday's we had to garnish all the iced tea's with fresh mint. Nobody ever did it, and the mint was stale and spoiled anyway. The only time we did it was when we had corporate come in for a review.

by Anonymousreply 55March 5, 2022 6:30 PM

This is an emergency of international proportions. Our nation should go to high alert immediately. A lack of lemon will not be tolerated in the civilized world.

by Anonymousreply 56March 5, 2022 9:19 PM

My local store barely keeps the lobby open anymore. Drive-through only some days.

by Anonymousreply 57March 5, 2022 10:05 PM

r54=Shannon Beador

r

by Anonymousreply 58March 6, 2022 1:46 PM

R1 yeah Dunkin and Pizza Hut have both been shit for about 25 years now… and both were once quite good.

by Anonymousreply 59March 6, 2022 1:47 PM

Dunkin was ok, but Pizza Hut was never very good. You must live some place with no Italian-Americans.

by Anonymousreply 60March 6, 2022 2:37 PM

Even the mom and pop pizzerias near me use premade pizza dough and canned sauce.

by Anonymousreply 61March 6, 2022 4:24 PM

I've only been there twice, the first time I got a muffin, the second time I got hash-browns. The menu neglected to mention that their hash-browns have onions in them, I gave them to a co-worker.

by Anonymousreply 62March 6, 2022 7:11 PM

R1 R2 You both nailed it. I go into DD a lot because I like their coffee, once in a great while I’d give into temptation and get a donut or an apple fritter. The fritters used to be fantastic. Most of the time I’d sit their and congratulate myself on my discipline and satisfy myself with the smell and the sight of some really gorgeous pastry. Now, I’m not even tempted. The stuff tastes so ordinary and they don’t even look good, they look like plastic. Krispy Kreme is building a huge place across the street. Do they make their donuts fresh or do they ship them in like DD?

by Anonymousreply 63March 6, 2022 7:24 PM

Their egg, sausage cheese on croissants are like crack.

Gimme a medium coffee, regular!

by Anonymousreply 64March 6, 2022 8:02 PM

[quote] My local store barely keeps the lobby open anymore. Drive-through only some days.

Oh honey no. That's for liability reasons. They don't want one of their 350 lb regulars to drop dead of a heart attack by having to actually walk into the store.

by Anonymousreply 65March 6, 2022 8:04 PM

FAT WHORES RECOIL!

by Anonymousreply 66March 6, 2022 8:06 PM

They have the most vile coffee and vile food ever, and anyone who eats it has had all of the taste buds burned from their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 67March 6, 2022 8:08 PM

Infidels! Lemon is the best flavor.

by Anonymousreply 68March 6, 2022 8:10 PM

Try lemon in your coffee it's GOOOOOOD

by Anonymousreply 69March 6, 2022 8:15 PM

R63 If it is a large location they will probably all be made fresh in house. If it is a smaller location sometimes they bring some or all of them in from the larger location in that area, but they will still have been made fresh that day. They also tend to make the ones available in the supermarket at those large locations and then deliver them to the supermarket. Or, that is the way Krispy Kreme used to work, I guess they still do it the same.

by Anonymousreply 70March 6, 2022 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!