Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Death on the Nile (1978)

I love this film!

After the success of Murder on the Orient Express (1974) Lord John Brabourne and Richard B. Goodwin decided to go to Egypt.

The two hired John Guillermin (Guns at Batasi, The Towering Inferno, King Kong) to direct.

Music by the legendary Italian composer Nino Rota (The Godfather, Romeo & Juliet, Waterloo).

Costumes by Anthony Powell

Screenplay by English playwright Anthony Shaffer

Peter Ustinov plays Poirot and leads an all star international cast of Jane Birkin, Lois Chiles, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, John Hurt, Olivia Hussey, I.S. Johar, George Kennedy, Angela Lansbury, Simon McCorkindale, David Niven, Maggie Smith, and Jack Warden.

Even Harry Andrews and Sam Wanamaker make a brief appearance.

Anthony Powell won the Academy Award for Best Costumes.

Peter Ustinov, Maggie Smith, and Angela Lansbury were nominated for BAFTA's, along with Anthony Powell (who won again).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2022 1:50 PM

When murder victim leaves the restaurant to the time she is shot only about 10 minutes has passed (at the most).

However, she has removed her makeup, changed then gone to sleep.

How is this possible?

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2022 2:02 AM

Why would you commit a crime in Egypt where you run the risk of a third-world justice system and third-world jails? But I guess the murderers were going for broke given the way things turned out.

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2022 2:04 AM

I also loved this movie! I watched it after the Murder on the Orient Express film, and I much preferred Death on the Nile. I also greatly enjoyed the other Peter Ustinov Poirot film, Evil under the Sun. I wish he had made more Poirot films because he cracks me up. Ustinov is definitely my favorite Poirot!

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2022 2:07 AM

We're waiting for the Buttocks Fan to present this for the seventh time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2022 2:10 AM

R3 Interesting. Murder on the Orient Express (1974) is my favorite. It is the best made and best acted. However, Death on the Nile is a much more enjoyable film. Evil Under the Sun is the most entertaining for sure.

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2022 2:10 AM

The director, a Frenchman named Yvon Jean Guillermin made such an odd variety of movies that I can't categorise them as good or bad, capable or boring.

There must be some camp sensibility in having some some of the particular hams in the cast (Maggie, Bette and Angela) but I guess that camp sensibility comes from the script by Anthony Shaffer whose playwriting career was going downhill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2022 2:19 AM

[quote]I also loved this movie! I watched it after the Murder on the Orient Express film,

Sorry, I meant to say that I watched it after the Murder on the Orient Express thread. I love DL film threads. I've discovered so many great things that way. A bit of a derail, but last year I started a thread asking for recommendations for old movies and watched a whole bunch of them. Witness for the Prosecution was my favorite. Charles Laughton was so funny!

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2022 2:22 AM

I LOVE this movie, especially the clothes

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2022 9:51 AM

The Nile is so flat.

Was that steamer steaming southwards or northwards?

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2022 1:50 AM

Angela Lansbury swanning around drunk and dancing with Hercules Parrot.

The look on Bette's face when the Egyptian children on the bank of the Nile moon her

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2022 2:00 AM

"There are two things I can't abide. Heat and heathens."

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2022 2:06 AM

R3

[quote] I wish he had made more Poirot films because he cracks me up. Ustinov is definitely my favorite Poirot!

He did make others as TV movies:

Thirteen at Dinner (1985). With Faye Dunaway. And David Suchet plays Inspector Japp.

Dead Man's Folly (1986). With Jean Stapleton as Ariadne Oliver.

Murder in Three Acts (1986). With Tony Curtis and Emma Samms.

Appointment With Death (1988). With Lauren Bacall, Carrie Fisher, John Gielgud, Piper Laurie, and Hayley Mills.

They are OK, but nowhere near as good as "Death on the NIle" and "Evil Under The Sun".

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2022 2:19 AM

Great film

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 3:31 PM

I saw it in Germany (yes, yes I know) and at the time I’d heard about different edits for different markets, ie nudity in a European version but in underwear in the US one. I’ve never seen it since but I remember a really gruesome scene when one of the characters is shot in the head. It was replayed a couple more times as Poirot went through the various scenarios. It was very realistic, gore and all. I can watch a lot of movie violence in Hollywood blockbuster movies, usually it’s somewhat removed, but this shocked me at the time.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 3:44 PM

R14 was it Lois Chiles or Angela Lansbury?

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 3:45 PM

It must’ve been Lois Chiles. Sleeping, her head was on a pillow and turned over when she was shot.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2022 10:12 AM

This played endlessly on HBO back in the early 80s and I watched it pretty much every time. I didn’t quite understand the feelings at the time but was in adolescent lust with Simon MacCorkindale. The Branagh version was so boring and Armie Hammer didn’t have an ounce of Mac’s sexiness

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2022 10:53 AM

Ustinov's Poirot absolutely sucks. Great cast though.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2022 1:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!