Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m going to see Patti LuPone in “Company” tonight!

We’ve been watching clips of the original Broadway cast, so I’m prepared for crushing disappointment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2022 3:49 AM

You've been watching OBC clips but decided to link to a non OBC clip. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2022 11:17 PM

Wrong!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2022 11:22 PM

Take some photos and post them for us. I'm sure Patti won't mind.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2022 11:43 PM

She made fun of me!

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2022 11:46 PM

She’s a braying cunt. Enjoy listening to her shit all over Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2022 11:47 PM

I'm with r3. If you take some photos of Patti with your cell phone while she performs, I can promise you you will not be bored.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2022 12:12 AM

You’ve been Patti LuPWNd!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2022 12:19 AM

I don’t get her, all she does is shriek.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2022 12:21 AM

OP’s performance of Ladies Who Lunch is sublime…

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2022 12:22 AM

Here's an idea, OP -- if you're that concerned, DON'T GO. I doubt Miss LuPone or anyone else in the world would give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2022 12:41 AM

No. It would be a BETRAYAL!

by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2022 12:43 AM

It was pretty good. “Ladies Who Lunch” was really restrained and well done.

The audience was like an episode of “Good Times”: thunderous applause after every song and sassing back when Patti did something (or anything).

And the ladies next to us raised their cocktails and tried to stand up at “I’d like to propose a toast”.

It must’ve been something to see in the 70s, before it became a religious service.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2022 3:56 AM

Her performance here is so lame. She's like a lamp post with a siren as a head.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2022 4:34 AM

She's still alive? Seriously; I thought she died a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2022 4:36 AM

Has this foul-mouthed woman had a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2022 4:44 AM

Yes, R15 a stroke of luck. She's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2022 4:50 AM

And I'll bury every one of you pointless bitches!

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2022 4:55 AM

Company is a pointless show

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2022 6:29 AM

That’s sort of the point. R18.

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2022 6:37 AM

Given what a nasty, abrasive, shrill and petty bitch LuPony has always been I am surprised she has never been run over by someone or had a Mafia contract out on her.

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2022 7:12 AM

[quote]We’ve been watching clips of the original Broadway cast, so I’m prepared for crushing disappointment!

There aren't any clips of the original Broadway cast, other than the Pennebaker documentary about the recording of the cast album. Not even any B roll, which didn't exist back then.

All we have of the original staging is a very blurry, grainy, B&W boot of the last stop of the original national tour in DC. The tour at that point had abandoned the original hydraulic sets and had been through many cast changes.

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2022 7:55 AM

There used to be a few clips from that national tour boot on youtube but that was several years ago and I have no idea whether they are still there. To paraphrase Dorothy, things come and go so quickly there.

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2022 8:16 AM

Was Stritch bitter about not having won a Tony for her most remembered performance?

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2022 8:40 AM

Were they selling t-shirts in the lobby that read, "I Went to See Patti LuPone in Company and all I Got was COVID", OP?

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2022 1:30 PM

What do we say, is she a shoe in for Best Supporting for the Tony this year?

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2022 4:52 PM

"If you toss flowers on stage, do not aim them at Miss LuPone's head."

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2022 4:58 PM

Hope you have hearing impaired headphones. It's the only way you'll understand a word of what this bitch sings.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2022 5:00 PM

[quote]And the ladies next to us raised their cocktails and tried to stand up at “I’d like to propose a toast”.

What is this, dinner theater?

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2022 5:13 PM

There are home movies of Broadway shows as far as we know going back to the original Pal Joey. We even have Follies! It really is terrible that we have nothing of the original Broadway Company. It was a great production and it's too bad nobody shot any of it with a home movie camera. Even in '81 the original Merrily on video looks a million times worse than Pal Joey. And I'm not speaking of the quality of the show but the quality of the image.

By the way I didn't know it existed but Money to Burn from the original Broadway production of Sixpence is on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2022 9:16 PM

[quote] It really is terrible that we have nothing of the original Broadway Company.

We have the documentary of the recording of the cast album. We also have the original cast doing the concert version.

The Library of Performing Arts also has the 1972 national tour filmed in Washington DC, albeit only Donna McKechnie from the original cast. But it does include Joy Franz and Julie Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2022 9:50 PM

Was Company ever planned for the big screen? Dean Jones left early but I doubt he would have turned down a movie and he had the profile for one at that time. Stritch would have been replaced of course.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2022 3:22 PM

You need to read the Hello Dolly thread, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2022 5:40 PM

Who would have done Joanne in the movie. Anne Bancroft?

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2022 1:00 AM

There would never have been a movie since musicals were out.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2022 1:05 AM

I, yes I'm old, saw the original B'way production. This one is like watching a Kindergarten play in comparison.

LuPone plays Lupone in everything I"ve ever seen her in, even an old episode of Fraiser.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2022 1:09 AM

I always remember the Datalounge poster who said her performance of "An Old-Fashioned Wedding" with Peter Gallagher on some daytime TV show made it sound like she was singing, "I want a wedding that's HONK HONK with HONK HONK and HONK HONK!"

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2022 1:11 AM

I saw a 2010 version on Broadway that NEEDED a star like Patti LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2022 1:13 AM

r37, was that the version with Raul Esparza?

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2022 3:22 AM

Does the show have senior citizen discounts?

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2022 3:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!