Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1960s Movie Musicals

While the first half of 1960s delivered West Side Story, Gypsy, The Music Man, Bye Bye Birdie, My Fair Lady, and The Sound of Music, the second half of the decade saw Hollywood struggling to keep the musical relevant…often through the use of various camera techniques/gimmicks and more frenetic editing. Which 1960s movie musical was your favorite?

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2022 5:58 PM

Is it cheating to say "Yellow Submarine". (1968)? It broke the mold!

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2022 4:51 AM

Sad to be all alone in the world.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2022 5:15 AM

This year is the centenary of the setting for Thoroughly Modern Millie (remember in the song, "This is 1922!").

Raspberries!

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2022 7:52 AM

Two of the most successful movie musicals of the '60s were from the latter part of the decade: "Funny Girl" and "Oliver!" were both released in 1968, with the latter winning the Oscar as Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2022 8:06 AM

"Funny Girl" is dreadfully boring and tedious as a movie though. In fact I'd much rather watch the miscast Babs, the ugly crank Matthau and the annoying idiot Michael Crawford in "Hell, No! Dolly!" again than sit through "Funny Girl" and all the tired Babs schtick.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2022 8:31 AM

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg!

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2022 10:27 AM

Was "Star!" the beginning of Julie's decline into being a has-been before "Victor Victoria" briefly reignited her career?

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2022 10:32 AM

R7 “Star” was one of those “too big to fail” productions. And yes, she did not surface much until Blake showcased her breasts in S.O.B., then came Victor/Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2022 1:23 PM

Lest we forget Paint Your Wagon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2022 1:30 PM

Funny Girl and Oliver are the only two that might be called good on your list. And I prefer Oliver as a film (although Streisand’s talent is on full display). What about Good Bye Mr Chips and Hello Dolly. Both received so so reviews but hold up well (as does Oliver).

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2022 2:36 PM

How to Succeed..... is pretty much a filmed stage show and not a movie version and that’s why I love it. Same with Pajama Game.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2022 2:42 PM

R1 - if you're going to mention Yellow Submarine, then I'm in for A Hard Day's Night.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2022 2:43 PM

When I was a child, I adored Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and—especially—Doctor Doolittle.

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2022 6:09 PM

Does Valley of the Dolls count?

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote]Does Valley of the Dolls count?

Hello! I'm right here planting my own tree!

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2022 7:28 PM

Goodbye, Mr. Chips has aged gracefully. Surprisingly, Pet Clark holds her own against the classically trained O'Toole.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2022 7:40 PM

Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2022 7:48 PM

R9 Such an absurd movie, didn't they make Lee Marvin up to be older for whatever reason? It actually made a ton of money, but failed to earn back its massive budget. Jean Seberg was radiant. I find her to be one of the most beautiful young actresses of the 1960s/1970s.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2022 7:58 PM

The fact that the OP left "Hello, Dolly" off his poll list is a travesty and renders the poll invalid.

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2022 8:13 PM

Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2022 8:20 PM

Don't forget me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2022 8:34 PM

I loathe Funny Girl. Thoroughly Modern Millie is a delight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2022 12:48 AM

Thoroughly Modern Millie, because of Carol Channing alone.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 4:46 PM

Can Millie be seen anywhere today? Friends made me watch it on DVD like 15 years ago and I was weirded out by it, but I have looked for it since and can't find it streaming or on DVD. I'm kind of guessing it was softly banned because of the extreme racism, but I'd like to rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 4:48 PM

Hello, Dolly?

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 4:49 PM

I can't believe no one has even mentioned The Sound of Music!?

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 4:50 PM

R24, it’s easily available on Amazon for $8.49 on dvd or $15 on Blu-Ray. I have the Blu-ray, it’s a gorgeous transfer.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2022 4:54 PM

Not late 1960’s, but my favorite 60’s movie musical:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2022 5:03 PM

Unsinkable Molly Brown. Not the greatest musical, but fun to watch. Belly up to the bar boys!

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2022 5:11 PM

Yes the bluray of Millie is fabulous and if you like the movie at all it's worth getting. Other late 60s musicals I like are Hello Dolly(despite some really bad things in it) Sweet Charity, Goodbye Mister Chips and Paint Your Wagon. I hated Wagon after I saw it on TV but got to see a 70mm print with 6track stereo and found it enormous fun. I don't even know why I went but I'm glad I did.

Even Half a Sixpence and Finian's Rainbow have wonderful musical moments.

I have to say the ones I find really awful are Chitty, Dr. Dolittle and Star! And then Julie followed it up with the even worse Lili.

It's worth getting a 4k player for My Fair Lady. Even young guy home theater geeks who have youtube channels and are into action and horror films were reviewing it and saying how great it is. And these are the kind of guys who I would think had never even heard of My Fair Lady at all. One guy was saying it was the 4k release of the year. I found that amazing as so many newer popular films are released regularly in 4k.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2022 5:58 PM

Watching Sweet Charity for the first time. I may have to change my vote from Thoroughly Modern Millie to Sweet Charity on the poll. This is a total delight so far. Fosse was a genius and Shirley is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2022 5:25 PM

Nothing is real.

There's only one way to go out: singing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2022 5:39 PM

A Hard Day's Night

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2022 5:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!