Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tamar Hodel - Mama Michelle's mentor, her dad killed Black Dahlia, Faye's Chinatown was based on her

She should be a DL icon.

Here's what Michelle Phillips said about her:

"She looked like a young Brigitte Bardot. As soon as I set eyes on her, I thought she was the most fabulous, glamorous girl I had ever met. She had a wonderful lavender-colored room, with lavender pillows and curtains, lavender lead-glass ashtrays, all of that. I thought it was just great. She had just acquired a new pink and lavender Rambler, buying it on time.

Tamar was the epitome of glamour. She was someone who never got out of bed until two p.m., and she looked it. It was late afternoon, and she was dressed in a beautiful lavender suit with her hair in a beehive. It was all so so exotic!

She hung out with a very hip Bohemian crowd—Josh White, Dick Gregory, Odetta, Bud and Travis. Tamar was incredible. She gave me my first fake ID, my first amphetamines (“uppers” to help me stay awake in 8th grade class after late nights). This was a girl after my own heart, and we became very close . . . and now she was my idol."

Her father, Dr. George Hodel, is said to have been the killer of the Black Dahlia. He raped Tamar at age 11, and she went to the police. Hodel was tried and acquitted after his high priced lawyer painted Tamar as a troublemaker. Tamar also clamed that John Houston nearly raped her, and that her father would have underage orgies with Man Ray. This all went down in the famous Sowden/Franklin house, which has been used in many in films, including Blade Runner.

She dated Jack Nicholson, and told him her whole story. Much of it made it's way into Robert Towne's brilliant Chinatown script. For which John Huston was cast in the role of her father. Kinda sick, really.

A very fascinating figure. Look her up. It's an insane rabbit hole of LA noir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2022 6:45 AM

I saw her daughter Fauna on Ghost Adventures, filmed shortly before she died. Chris Pine & India Eisley (Olivia Hussey’s gorge daughter) did a mini-series on Fauna’s life a couple years back; she was raised in a black family, only to learn years later she wasn’t black, & was the daughter (and granddaughter) of George, the #1 Dahlia suspect.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2022 6:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!