Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

***The OFFICIAL 94th ACADEMY AWARDS NOMINATIONS Thread*** PART 2

Hahahahaha at GaGa being snubbed. Good. She was terrible! But the film did get a bunch of Razzie nods!

Serves her right though. You know you’re doing too much when even your fans are getting turned off by how hardcore you’re campaigning.

Stewart was terrible.

Chastain and Cruz are the best in that category.

I wish Mike Faist got nominated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205February 28, 2022 11:14 PM

Hi, I cant post threads anymore. I am still here.

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2022 10:16 PM

Breaking News!! DL Fave, Legend and Icon GermanGayGuy bravely battles CANCER amid brutal Covid Wave! OPERATION, CHEMOTHERAPY, HAIR LOSS!!

Please send your well-wishes here. Or money if you are so inclined.

At least be kind for once.

I am TOO YOUNG to die of cancer! I haven't even found love!

No, you can't have my stuff and I don't own an Ipad, so don't even start.

Also my collapse is not complete, because I am a tough old broad!

No raw fruits, vegetables or loads allowed, because of all the germs.

Some of the doctors are quite nice-looking, but they wear masks all the time.

I am thankful for my German healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2022 10:18 PM

This is what I wanted to post in a separate thread, but DL wont let me.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2022 10:19 PM

Don't get the love for Being the Ricardos with 3 acting nominations (Kidman, Bardem, Simmons) none of whom are outstanding and the whole project is meh!

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2022 10:20 PM

Simmons nomination is a major joke

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2022 10:24 PM

I liked Being the Ricardos but dont get the nom for Simmons. He doesnt do much besides a few mildly funny quips.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2022 10:24 PM

Mike Faist deserved to be nominated over Simmons or Plemmons

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2022 10:25 PM

I also liked Stewart's performance besides her voice being overall too whispery. The movie has a weird tone but isnt as bad as some on DL make it out to be.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2022 10:29 PM

Gucci puchi!

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote]If left with their own devices, the Academy will always nominate shit like Being The Ricardos.

I like "Being The Ricardos." alot and it was more entertaining than the abysmal 2004 winner, the CGI crapfest "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2022 11:33 PM

I'm THRILLED that Sorkin didn't get any nominations, especially after that ABYSMAL characterization of DL icon Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2022 12:33 AM

This is Bradley Cooper's ninth nomination, he produced "Nightmare Alley", "The Joker" & "American Sniper" He is a real producer. Token producer credits aren't included in Best Picture producer list.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2022 12:42 AM

They love nominating people repeatedly because it confirms that their past nominations and/or wins were valid. It's a total circle jerk.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2022 12:45 AM

The reason nobody from Mass got nominated is because they were all put up for Supporting and that’s category fraud. The Academy obviously did an “oh no you don’t” with that bullshit. Is Alicia Vikander’s obvious lead role in The Danish Girl the last time category fraud was tolerated?

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2022 12:46 AM

[quote]Madonna would love to have her movie career, but Lady Gaga would kill to have Madonna’s music career.

Next season on Feud:

Reductive: Material Girl vs. Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2022 2:10 AM

[quote]Oh no, Sunset Boulevard has been removed from Glenn's IMDB.

It's still listed on her page in IMDb Pro, but the status is "In Turnaround" so it's pretty much dead in the water. At this point Glenn needs to sign away her right-of-first-refusal contractual provision and let the film be developed with a more age-appropriate actress. Or not. I can't see SB being a hit film today.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2022 2:13 AM

I certainly don’t want either one to win but let it be Chastain over that scary monster Nicole as Lucille Ball. I couldn’t even watch either of the films. At least Spencer and Gucci half held my attention. I couldn’t watch Colman either wtf. I’m rooting for Penelope.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2022 2:52 AM

Penelope would be my choice oo

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2022 2:53 AM

omg that Spencer was a shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2022 3:13 AM

Agreed, r4. Total "but they're serious actors" noms.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2022 3:19 AM

Penelope Cruz sucks

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2022 3:25 AM

[quote]Penelope Cruz sucks

Quite well, I might add

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2022 3:26 AM

I haven't seen the Ricardos, yet. But, I have never seen Kidman in anything in which I haven't enjoyed her. I will say visually I think she is perhaps the only one who could play a serious Lucille Ball of the I Love Lucy era. Lucy was stunningly beautiful. It was part of her appeal, she was a glamour girl who didn't mind a pie to the face. Kidman is one of only a handful of current stars whom I would call stunningly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2022 3:28 AM

I guarantee, r23, you won't be thatvimpressed by the movie, and you won't be that impressed---not Oscar-impressed---by Kidman.

You definitely will wonder why the nomination for Simmons!

I mean, the film was okay. Bardem on the Conga drum was sexy, but one scene wasn't enough.

The scenes of going over a script; seeing Lucille show she knew her oats when it came to audience perceptions and what slight changes made the difference between laughter and none; learning she was as business savvy, and also Desi-savvy, as she was funny; I found it all....interesting.

But I don't believe you (or any other viewer) will feel emotion coming from the screen, nor going towards it.

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2022 3:42 AM

^ It was a made for TV movie about TV.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2022 3:46 AM

I do feel that Sorkin did nothing to elevate his production to the level of a cinematic movie, instead it came off as throughly television and thus there was no need to honor anything about his contributions because he failed to capture that ability.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2022 3:54 AM

[quote] You must be a Gen Z or someone who never saw Tammy Faye in real time.

Wait, was she a real person?

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2022 4:18 AM

R27 She was real and she was spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2022 4:26 AM

R23 You’re kidding, right?

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2022 4:45 AM

I'm pulling for Jessica Shitstain. Hope she wins.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2022 4:48 AM

I just don't get Jesse Plemmons. He's a boring actor who's always playing boring people. He didn't deserve a nomination. It should have gone to Mike Faist and J.K.'s nomination belonged to Robin de Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2022 4:53 AM

Being the Ricardos is an ugly film. It’s shot in an ugly blurry brown shade to hide Nicole’s hideous face.

Cate Blanchett is now the actress that has appeared in the most BP nominated films with 9. Meryl has 8.

Someone mentioned Bradley Cooper is a “real” producer. Do you actually believe that?

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2022 4:57 AM

R31 I will say he was not an actor from Friday Night Lights that I expected to go on to such a career.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2022 4:58 AM

The first nomination for a singular actress of both stunning effervescence and doom, ms kiki dunst. And her old man, meth Damon was very warm and sweet in his role, he didn’t have to say or do a lot and glad he was nominated. Glad the Irish bitch with the unpronounceable name was ignored? It’s not like she’d anyway. Jessie Buckley is very ugly, she must be a serious actress. Tell me, what is it about her that’s good? She seems intelligent? Mmm I’m here for the ridiculous Jessica Chastain nomination as she’s been desperate for a third. I like her and she tries so hard I’d like her so the enchantress Penelope to win it. IMO Kristen Stewart can be an exquisite actress (minus twilight U shit heads) but this Spencer was a freak show and she looked bedraggled like a scarecrow running into the walls! Feasting on her cakes or not eating at all and oh, all that whispering! Shit, at least it held my attention. I’m so disappointed Nicole is here and for this part. She’s around -every- year but this is not the one she’s owed something again! For an Amazon movie that made two times at the box office?! God, this is not a staggering achievement or undeniable film. Embarrassing! And will smith well it will appease that gay cunt, Jada. She can show up looking like a smug, sanctimonious little baby dyke that she is. Kodi shit mcphee! Well why not. He was the best. Why do men acting winners have to be old as dirt? Or so damned seasoned?

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2022 5:00 AM

Who the fuck are Mike Faist and Robin de Jesus?

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2022 5:00 AM

That Spencer thing looks craptastic

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2022 5:06 AM

Is it true that Nicole’s joyless performance as Lucille Ball is the frontrunner? She seemed completely miscast.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2022 5:35 AM

the kidman fiasco is enema inducing.....

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2022 5:38 AM

I don't keep up with this stuff. Are you all seriously telling me that someone has made a movie about Lucille Ball?

How creatively bankrupt do you have to be? Who's next, Jo Ann Worley?

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2022 5:45 AM

[quote]Who's next, Jo Ann Worley?

Beanie Feldstein IS Jo Anne Worley!

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2022 5:53 AM

Again I haven't seen the movie, so I don't have an opinion on it, but a film about Lucille Ball is not creatively bankrupt. She is still an icon. She worked her way from hat model to owning the studio lot that she was a contract player on. She dated mobsters and was wild. Her marriage, which was to her best remembered costar, was turbulent. She was one of the few people to be named a Communist, with actual evidence, to not be blacklisted. Her image is known the world over. Her shows are still playing somewhere in the world every min. Her studio was responsible for many of the greatest shows of the 50's and 60s. Even if Desilu didn't produce all of them, many were shot on her soundstages, her backlot, with her cameras, and produced by her friends. Without her there might not have been Star Trek or Mission Impossible. They put the Comedy Hall of Fame in her hometown because of her. So yes there is plenty of good material in the life of Lucille Ball.

Now, if they filmed an "I Love Lucy," "The Lucy Show," or "Here's Lucy" movie, that would be creatively bankrupt.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2022 5:57 AM

R41 see the movie and you'll understand 'creatively bankrupt'

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2022 5:59 AM

R37, Kidman has been the front runner for months. Film Twitter never believed it because they went all in on Kristen Stewart, and DL never believed it because posters here are convinced the movie doesn’t do justice to Vivian Vance (that’s an exaggeration of the opinion here, but only a slight one), but once most people accepted Kidman playing Lucy, she’s been the obvious choice.

I don’t know why people are so surprised. Rami Malek’s win should have been the proof that it’s impossible to make Oscar voters hate what they clearly enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2022 6:21 AM

The actors from Mass were not leads. It was an ensemble where no one character was more important that or focused on than the other. They all truly supported each other and would have legitimately fit into that category. It's the biggest shame of this year's awards that they were snubbed (well, everyone but Reed Birney, who was the weak link).

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2022 6:26 AM

[quote]The actors from Mass were not leads. It was an ensemble where no one character was more important that or focused on than the other.

Which actually makes them all leads. You can't have all supporting roles in a movie and no lead roles.

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2022 6:35 AM

Of course you can. It's called ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2022 6:39 AM

Yes, you can. Friends was all supporting,

by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2022 6:39 AM

Sex and the City was 4 supporting players with no lead.

by Anonymousreply 48February 9, 2022 6:41 AM

Trust, the Lucy movie sucked bad, reallly bad.

by Anonymousreply 49February 9, 2022 6:43 AM

I was convinced Timothee Chalamet would get a best actor nomination for Dune.

by Anonymousreply 50February 9, 2022 6:43 AM

Why didn’t he? It’s a real travelocity Timothee wasn’t nominated.

by Anonymousreply 51February 9, 2022 6:53 AM

I am glad Denzel Washington was nominated again for Best Actor, the film "The Tragedy of Macbeth" was largely ignored but he was really good in it, and this is his 10th Oscar acting nominations!

by Anonymousreply 52February 9, 2022 6:54 AM

Denzel got his second Oscar the night they honored Sidney Poitier. Will they give him a third in the year when Poitier might be the final name of the In Memoriam segment?

by Anonymousreply 53February 9, 2022 6:58 AM

R51 What the hell is a “travelocity”? I think his performance was to fragmented and he felt like just a part of a large ensemble cast as opposed to a lead performance.

by Anonymousreply 54February 9, 2022 7:09 AM

R53 it will go to another black man, trust me

by Anonymousreply 55February 9, 2022 7:15 AM

Mass was deeply contrived. Actors using grief and the premise of a school shooting to show off. The premise had no credibility or reason to exist, other than that.

by Anonymousreply 56February 9, 2022 7:57 AM

R56, that may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

by Anonymousreply 57February 9, 2022 8:15 AM

Read somewhere, was it here? that the problem is 14% or so of voters live abroad and have no clue whts what....voting on sentiment or some bullshit. they have changed the nomination laws alot evidently.

by Anonymousreply 58February 9, 2022 8:47 AM

[quote]You definitely will wonder why the nomination for Simmons!

Simmons was nominated for teh scene behind teh scenes where Lucy and Vivian are sitting on a bench and he gives a great speech.

[quote]Someone mentioned Bradley Cooper is a “real” producer. Do you actually believe that?

Ah yeah. He is a member of the Producers Guild. As per The Wrap....Coopers/ company, 22nd & Indiana Pictures, signed a two-year development deal with Warner Bros in 2012 and immediately acquired “American Sniper,” Clint Eastwood‘s next movie that Cooper will produce and star in. It has several more projects in development.

He was nominated for Best Picture for "American Sniper. Producers get Oscar noms not vanity executive producer credits. That's why Brad Pitt won for producing "12 Years A Slave". His production company was in charge.

by Anonymousreply 59February 9, 2022 9:14 AM

The only good thing about Spencer is the score. The film itself is a single cringefest.

by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2022 10:36 AM

[quote]Yes, you can. Friends was all supporting.

Initially, they all were considered supporting by the Emmys for the first 7 seasons:

1994-1995: David Schwimmer (Supporting Actor) & Lisa Kudrow (Supporting Actress)

1997-1998: Lisa Kudrow (Supporting Actress )

1999-2000: Jennifer Aniston (Supporting Actress) & Lisa Kudrow (Supporting Actress)

2000-2001: Jennifer Aniston (Supporting Actress) & Lisa Kudrow (Supporting Actress)

2001-2002: Jennifer Aniston (Leading Actress ) & Matt LeBlanc (Leading Actor) & Matthew Perry (Leading Actor)

2002-2003: Jennifer Aniston (Leading Actress) & Matt LeBlanc (Leading Actor)

2003-2004: Jennifer Aniston (Leading Actress) & Matt LeBlanc (Leading Actor)

What changed? Also, Courteney Cox was the only one of the main cast never to be nominated (both Aniston & Kudrow even won once) I wonder if she ever felt slighted?

by Anonymousreply 61February 9, 2022 11:40 AM

They nominated Denzel so they'd have someone to lead the standing O when Will's name is called.

by Anonymousreply 62February 9, 2022 3:06 PM

It doesn't matter what category they were nominated in - that's hardly the barometer. Category fraud has existed since award shows have existed. If all 6 actors in Friends were supporting, then who was the lead? It is non-sensical to say there were no leads because it was an ensemble. That actually supports the argument that they were all leads (which they were, BTW.) The toggling back and forth between Lead and Supporting nominations on Friends has more to do with whose storylines were more prevalent in a given season. But it doesn't change the fact that Friends had 6 lead actors.

A supporting actor is an actor who performs a role in a play or film below that of the leading actor, and above that of a bit part. If there are no leading actors to "play below" then they can't be supporting, notwithstanding the fact that there are dozens and dozens of inappropriate category nominations and wins.

by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2022 3:23 PM

Mike Faist was completely robbed. He was more effective than 3 or 4 of those nominated. Only the kid from The Power of the Dog comes close.

by Anonymousreply 64February 9, 2022 3:25 PM

Glad to see Kiki get her nomination, there was someone in all the prior prognostication threads crowing that it would never happen. Don't know if she'll pull off the win, DeBose put on a strong performance and has a strong narrative behind her. Glad to see Buckley sneak into that category as well.

Sadly I believe we'll see Will Smith take home the Leading Actor statue this year, for a mediocre biopic. Sad only because I thought Cumberbatch did an astonishing job in TPoTD, which overall was a beautifully told story shot against a perfect backdrop.

I will stand and shout if Ciaran Hinds pulls off the win in his category. Such a wonderful actor and screen presence. Long shot possibly, I think Smit-McPhee is favored but he and Plemons may split the vote since they're up in the same category for the same film.

If Jane Campion doesn't take home the Director's trophy then it really can be said to be an unpredictable year.

by Anonymousreply 65February 9, 2022 3:54 PM

[quote]Mike Faist was completely robbed.

At least BAFTA recognized his performance, although he probably won't win.

by Anonymousreply 66February 9, 2022 4:08 PM

If Will loses we may see Jada run on the stage and cut the bitch whose name is called.

by Anonymousreply 67February 9, 2022 4:11 PM

If they'd released WSS to streaming earlier, it likely would've had a LOT more buzz around it which can influence voters.

It's theatrical release was seen as something of a flop and they did nothing to turn that around. When you see how well BTRs did from streaming, it obviously hurt WSS not to have the support of audiences behind it.

by Anonymousreply 68February 9, 2022 4:27 PM

Where can one even watch WSS right now? I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 69February 9, 2022 4:49 PM

Nowhere. But at least as of March 2nd it will be somewhere. See what I just did just now? Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 70February 9, 2022 6:05 PM

There’s a place for it on streaming…

by Anonymousreply 71February 9, 2022 6:53 PM

And you actually think Bradley does all the complex duties expected of a professional producer? Okay.

by Anonymousreply 72February 9, 2022 7:08 PM

I started to watch tick..tick..Boom, but ended up stopping. I just thought Andrew Garfield was too unattractive singing.

by Anonymousreply 73February 9, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote] If Will loses we may see Jada run on the stage and cut the bitch whose name is called.

Jada is the main reason I hope Will loses.

by Anonymousreply 74February 9, 2022 7:21 PM

Here she is. The woman who says she is triggered by white women with blonde hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 9, 2022 7:23 PM

R41, Would that you had advised on the script. Not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 76February 9, 2022 7:30 PM

It seems like they have to vote for Will no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 77February 9, 2022 7:40 PM

R43, Rami Malek as Freddie displayed a range of emotions totally unavailable to Nicole Kidman, at least as LB.

Moreover, he starred in a movie of scope: in time; in space (arenas, e.g..); in Freddie's personal and professional lives.

In addition, "BR" is an ebullient movie in spite of the shadow of Death. Music, color, love, camaraderie triumph over the negative.

There is no joy in the Mudville that is "BtR." For a movie about an iconic comedic actress, there's no FUN in this stupid Andy Hardy "Hey, gang! Let's make a movie confined to reading a script for one unfunny scene from a TV sit-com! We can call it, 'Where's Ricky Gone Now?' Who's with me?!"

But what "BR" and Rami have that "BtR" and Nicole do not is ultimately this: Nobody is going to watch "Being the Ricardos" twice.

by Anonymousreply 78February 9, 2022 7:50 PM

Twice? I couldn’t even get through it once

by Anonymousreply 79February 9, 2022 7:54 PM

Yeah, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY being a smash hit is what got Rami the win in the end. Many people were expecting/hoping the film to flop, because of the trailer/previews. And then it opened and became a world wide phenomenon. Rami quickly became the frontrunner after that.

by Anonymousreply 80February 9, 2022 8:02 PM

R62 won't Jada be there?

by Anonymousreply 81February 9, 2022 8:26 PM

[quote] They nominated Denzel so they'd have someone to lead the standing O when Will's name is called.

Lead the standing O? WTF? Do you even know grumpy face Denzel. He will sit there and seethe and frown when he doesn’t win.

by Anonymousreply 82February 9, 2022 8:53 PM

R80 and what is Rami up to now? Will he be the next Adrian Brody?

by Anonymousreply 83February 9, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote]I will stand and shout if Ciaran Hinds pulls off the win in his category.

It's his and Branagh will get original screenplay for his life story. Dog will get supporting actress and her "partner" will go home carrying hers.

by Anonymousreply 84February 9, 2022 9:28 PM

R82 he ended up standing up for Affleck when he beat him, but he WAS pissed he lost. The look on his face was priceless. He’s friends with Smith I believe, so he will probably be first out his seat. MacBeth didn’t do that well in the nominations, so Washington is third I believe now behind Will and Benedict.

by Anonymousreply 85February 9, 2022 9:32 PM

Go Ben Cucumber!

by Anonymousreply 86February 9, 2022 9:50 PM

R83 ummm he was in a movie with Denzel in 2020 and the latest Bond blockbuster…

by Anonymousreply 87February 9, 2022 9:51 PM

Smith isn’t going to win. That bizarre book tour he did last year didn’t exactly fly by unnoticed.

by Anonymousreply 88February 9, 2022 9:53 PM

Smith was wonderful in King Richard, and I’m no fan of his.

by Anonymousreply 89February 9, 2022 9:58 PM

I disagree. He’s no character actor which that role required. Louis Gossett Jr would have been the one to play that sort of character a few decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 90February 9, 2022 10:00 PM

Well it wasn’t made decades ago because what takes place in the movie was happening decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 91February 9, 2022 10:02 PM

[quote]the film "The Tragedy of Macbeth" was largely ignored

That's no surprise to director Joel Coen's brother Ethan, who says the film is lacking a certain element that elevated Joel's first 18 films. Namely, Ethan's involvement. This is a pretty funny review.

"Macbeth is Joel Coen’s shittiest movie by several billion light years. If all the elephants in all the world crapped into the same canyon for 100 years, you would still not have a pile of shit half a large as Joel Coen’s dumb-as-a-dog-dick rendering of this classic tale. One can’t watch Macbeth without getting the sense that something is missing; some inspired element that gave Mr. Coen’s earlier work an aura of ebullient genius is absent this time. The wit, verve, and undeniable rugged machismo that characterized the other 18 films in which he happened to be involved are nowhere to be found here. Ultimately, one must conclude that what’s lacking is talent itself."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 9, 2022 10:26 PM

"Macbleeeech" is a quintessential "MAD" magazine snark!

by Anonymousreply 93February 10, 2022 12:13 AM

If Nicole wins she will have won for two movies without her natural face. She has a prosthetic nose in The Hours and a completely surgically altered face in Being the Ricardo’s. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 94February 10, 2022 1:12 AM

R94 What do you mean? No ones knows what her true face is since the 90s. It’s all a guessing game what she may look like in any given project.

by Anonymousreply 95February 10, 2022 5:44 AM

Actors where all kinds of masks.

by Anonymousreply 96February 10, 2022 6:20 AM

Did Ethan have a falling out with his brother? Why drag him in public like that?

by Anonymousreply 97February 10, 2022 7:23 AM

Bless your heart, R97.

by Anonymousreply 98February 10, 2022 11:33 AM

I just watched "King Richard." While Will Smith's performance was ok, I didn't think it was Oscarworthy. This is just another mediocre socially conscious film about somebody overcoming something or doing something good - just like Erin Brokovich, Green Book, or The Blind Side. At this point I just feel like biographical movies released right before the Oscars are just patronizing "feel good" fodder made for the masses who don't understand or care anything about film as an artform.

by Anonymousreply 99February 10, 2022 2:12 PM

R99, look for the Whitney Houston biopic to be released in December and the Peggy Lee and Leonard Bernstein biopics to be released in late 2023.

by Anonymousreply 100February 10, 2022 2:29 PM

So given the lack of a nomination for Bradley Cooper for either Nightmare Alley (a long shot) or Licorice Pizza (slightly more plausible), prognosticators have stated that it’s official: the Academy doesn’t like Bradley Cooper. Apparently it has to do with the way he campaigned for A Star Is Born in 2018 - but what did he do? Is this related to the Taffy Brodesser-Akner profile that appeared in the NYTs? Or is there more to it than that? Anyone remember?

by Anonymousreply 101February 10, 2022 3:13 PM

R100 The Academy loves Rich Little performances.

by Anonymousreply 102February 10, 2022 3:42 PM

Every time I watch a Will Smith movie I feel like I'm being lectured to.

by Anonymousreply 103February 10, 2022 3:44 PM

They'll give it to Smith this year so they'll never have to give him anything ever again.

by Anonymousreply 104February 10, 2022 3:53 PM

R101, I don't think Bradley Cooper missed out this year because of his 2018 campaign, and in fact it's presumptuous for pundits to believe that voters follow press coverage so closely that an article from years ago would sway Academy voters right now. I don't think it even mattered that much then; he lost Actor because voters went crazy for Bohemian Rhapsody, and his snub for Director is clearly attributable to that branch becoming both more international and more elitist.

This year, I think it just makes sense that Cooper was never going to get nominated for Nightmare Alley based on that film's lukewarm reception, while earning a nomination for a five minute role in Licorice Pizza probably depended on voters going crazy for that film. Its low nomination total shows that they just did not.

Out of the many reasons why Bradley Cooper doesn't have an Oscar, Taffy Brodesser-Akner probably wouldn't even make the top hundred.

by Anonymousreply 105February 10, 2022 3:54 PM

Bradley has an Oscar for being “Shallow”

by Anonymousreply 106February 10, 2022 4:26 PM

Grammy for ASIB but he is Oscarless like Glenn and Amy

by Anonymousreply 107February 10, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote]Apparently it has to do with the way he campaigned for A Star Is Born in 2018 - but what did he do?

Are you sure it wasn't how ridiculous he acted playing that phony sniper guy? Wearing the dead dude's boots to every awards show, etc...

by Anonymousreply 108February 10, 2022 4:41 PM

R105, you completely missed the point of the post.

by Anonymousreply 109February 10, 2022 5:47 PM

R87 you mean The Little Things? And a Bond film where he wasn't the lead obviously. Like I said he's going the Adrian Brody route. Thanks, I never would have known.

by Anonymousreply 110February 10, 2022 7:34 PM

So Bradley Cooper has 9 Oscar nominations without a win. That has to hurt.

by Anonymousreply 111February 10, 2022 7:56 PM

R103 if you think his movies are bad wait until his acceptance speech if he wins this year.

by Anonymousreply 112February 10, 2022 10:25 PM

When Smith loses, and he will to either Cumberbatch or Garfield, I expect Jada to jump up and start shouting at the top of her lungs how racist the Academy is even before the winner takes the stage.

by Anonymousreply 113February 10, 2022 10:29 PM

All these mentions of B Coop reminded me when he went along with Gags' charade of falling in love with him on the set of 'ASiB'. Bitch kept that up until she had the Oscar in hand, and then admitted they had "pretended to be in love." Academy voters don't go for being made a fool of twice.

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2022 2:30 AM

Bradley Cooper is now America’s Father

by Anonymousreply 115February 11, 2022 3:37 AM

Not while I’m still around.

by Anonymousreply 116February 11, 2022 3:25 PM

Do you mean Gay Father?

by Anonymousreply 117February 11, 2022 4:07 PM

r116 yea, but you're not, didnt you just die?

by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2022 8:03 PM

Sure, after bCoop hit him in the head with a mini-fridge.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2022 8:38 PM

Just rewatched Belfast. Good film. Catriona Balfe is gorgeous and an extremely good actress but I think she, the kid and Jamie Dornan are the leads. Dame Judi deserves to be in the Supporting category, not Balfe.

by Anonymousreply 120February 12, 2022 12:12 AM

WE BOW ON BENDED KNEE THAT WILL SMITH LOSES.

by Anonymousreply 121February 13, 2022 3:50 AM

agreed, macbeth was a pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 122February 13, 2022 3:53 AM

I watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye tonight. While I thought it was a pretty bad movie, mostly because it was just so fucking DULL, I also thought Chastain did a terrific job. She carried the movie and you can't remember anyone else after it's over. But ugh, what a whole bunch of gross disgusting humans, those evangelicals and their idiot followers.

by Anonymousreply 123February 13, 2022 4:08 AM

[quote]So given the lack of a nomination for Bradley Cooper for either Nightmare Alley (a long shot) or Licorice Pizza (slightly more plausible), prognosticators have stated that it’s official: the Academy doesn’t like Bradley Cooper.

Dude, he is nominated this year for Best Picture for "Nightmare Alley" He has nine Oscar nominations, can you imagine if the Academy actually liked him.

by Anonymousreply 124February 13, 2022 11:42 AM

That crappy Macbeth is like watching a 90 minute Calvin Klein commercial.

by Anonymousreply 125February 13, 2022 3:51 PM

R121 It will be like waiting for the outcome of a trial verdict. I wonder if the Academy will increase security in anticipation of Jada's wrath.

by Anonymousreply 126February 13, 2022 5:24 PM

R123, If you think "TEoTF" is "dull," stay far away from "Being the Ricardos"!

Moreover, "King Richard" and "HoG" aren't exactly barn-burners (maybe why the latter was snubbed!).

by Anonymousreply 127February 13, 2022 6:30 PM

R123, Thank you for being honest in assessing Jessica Chastain's performance, even though you disliked the movie.

She IS "terrific," but if I were a betting person, and I am, I would bet on the far weaker Nicole Kidman for the Best Actress Oscar, alas.

And Benedict Cumberbatch as Best Actor.

I'm so dismayed by the apparently lousy rendition of "Macbeth" this latest seems to be. The play was a huge part of my teaching life once upon a time. But we'll always have McKellen and Dench!

by Anonymousreply 128February 13, 2022 6:37 PM

It seems like Nicole could win simply for being the most popular. The Ricardos is not a good film.

by Anonymousreply 129February 13, 2022 6:39 PM

I watched Parallel Mothers yesterday and having seen all of the Best Actress nominees (sans Chastain), I have to say that hers is the finest performance. She's definitely a dark horse in the category and if voters actually watch the film - which is very good - she could be the surprise winner here. The thing about Parallel Mothers is that it's actually a very fine film. And not a prosthetic in sight. (Because Rossy De Palma is all REAL.) Colman has that going for her too but I don't know if voters will think it's too soon to award her again or not.

I would love to see Penelope Cruz pull out a win. She's a singular presence in this category.

by Anonymousreply 130February 13, 2022 8:03 PM

Penelope Cruz and Andrew Garfied winning would be OK with me.

by Anonymousreply 131February 13, 2022 8:36 PM

Where is Parallel Mothers available to screen?

by Anonymousreply 132February 13, 2022 9:59 PM

Only in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 133February 13, 2022 11:35 PM

Regina Hall, Amy Poehler and Wanda Sykes might be the co-hosts. How deliciously woke of them. And at least half the viewers will think it’s Regina King who’s co-hosting.

by Anonymousreply 134February 14, 2022 7:49 PM

It must be exhausting, R134, to constantly be on alert for "wokeness".

by Anonymousreply 135February 14, 2022 8:07 PM

It must be exhausting, R135, to constantly be on the alert for truth-telling.

by Anonymousreply 136February 14, 2022 8:20 PM

Are they trying to drive down ratings?

by Anonymousreply 137February 14, 2022 8:36 PM

R134, are you saying that a person of color can't be selected to host a show based on their abilities? They can only be selected for anything like that because the people in control are just virtue signaling their "wokeness"? That's pretty insulting to Regina Hall and Wanda Sykes, if not bordering on racist. I guess in your mind, black people can't be qualified for the job and are selected only to send a message.

by Anonymousreply 138February 14, 2022 11:06 PM

R138, you don’t know me for shit. I loved Regina King at last year’s Oscars. I loved Whoopi when she hosted. If you fail to see the cynical wokeness which ends up wity two out of three of a selected trio of hosts being Black then that’s YOUR problem.

by Anonymousreply 139February 14, 2022 11:17 PM

R139 the fact you are so obsessed with 2 out of 3 hosts being black proves their point.

by Anonymousreply 140February 14, 2022 11:23 PM

If the entire hosting team was black, I would just assume they were the best people for the job. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they were chosen ONLY because they were black. That's the kind of thing a racist does.

by Anonymousreply 141February 14, 2022 11:30 PM

R141, do you really think Regina Hall and Wanda Sykes are “the best for the job”? Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 142February 14, 2022 11:39 PM

Oh, I don't know, r134; Wanda Sykes can be very funny as well as fearless.

I await her ripping on the movie titles (I'm predicting), nominees and snubbed ones.

by Anonymousreply 143February 14, 2022 11:44 PM

I don't know. I'm not privy to the exact qualifications for the job and who all was interested and/or considered. Since you seem to know who is qualified and who isn't, how do they not measure up? Unless you think the black candidates for the job are innately less qualified than a white candidate. I mean, that seems like the kind of thing a racist would think.

by Anonymousreply 144February 14, 2022 11:47 PM

Whether you think she is funny or not Sykes is a comedian and that is who is usually picked for this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 145February 14, 2022 11:48 PM

And Hall is not. She’s not known as a host or talk show person either.

Sykes I get, Hall is admittedly an odd choice.

by Anonymousreply 146February 14, 2022 11:52 PM

They're not going to be interviewing anyone. They're going to come on stage, read some lame joke from the teleprompter and then announce the next presenters. How much qualification does one need to do that? I mean, if James Franco and Anne Hathaway can do it, even poorly, I don't see how anyone else can be less qualified.

by Anonymousreply 147February 15, 2022 12:03 AM

You answered your own question r147– Franco and Hathaway were unqualified and proved to be terrible.

by Anonymousreply 148February 15, 2022 12:05 AM

They were wierd picks though. They arent even known for comedy. I guess Franco has done some Seth Rogen stuff but as himself hes kind of "serious". How about you all wait to see how they do before judging? Oh wait that would be too much for you.

by Anonymousreply 149February 15, 2022 12:14 AM

R130 it’s been 13 years since Cruz has won, so it wouldn’t be too soon. I think the only way Cruz would win is if there was a split vote. Plus foreign language performances rarely take it home. I think Kidman has the inside track, playing a beloved TV icon in a film that most voters will see more than the others. Not the only the performance, but Kidman and her standing in the industry. Chastain maybe a close second. Voters may think on the third nomination it’s time to give it to her. Colman mayyyyybe could win a second, considering she’s on a roll now. I don’t see Stewart winning it or coming close.

by Anonymousreply 150February 15, 2022 12:31 AM

It's pretty horrifying when you have to choose the least of five evils in order to bestow an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 151February 15, 2022 6:27 AM

Bring back Billy Crystal

by Anonymousreply 152February 15, 2022 3:00 PM

Not Nicole. Her face doesn't move.

by Anonymousreply 153February 15, 2022 4:00 PM

R149 I judge the future by the past and past experience indicates . . .shitstorm brewing!

by Anonymousreply 154February 15, 2022 4:02 PM

Amy "cunt" Schumer just commented she needs to catch up and watch some movies. Ya think, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 155February 15, 2022 4:18 PM

How sweet. Amy's husband will have attended two Oscar ceremonies. The first one was in 2006 when he was Jake's date but the Brokeback PR people put a woman in the seat next to him so it wouldn't look like Jake was on a date with a, HUSH!!, guy. And then it turns out Amy's hubby Chris is also autistic, so who knows how long his love affair with Jake had been going on. Since childhood, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 156February 15, 2022 4:45 PM

OK, so Regina Hall got the gig because one of the producers of the Oscars also did Hall’s film Girls Trip. And Schumer got the gig because she has an upcoming series on Hulu which happens to be an ABC/Disney adjunct. As for Wanda Sykes she’s a black lesbian so that ticks a few boxes. At least she can be funny. I predict the other two will be a disaster. And ratings will hit a new low. They’ll never learn.

by Anonymousreply 157February 15, 2022 5:47 PM

Amy Schumer's mouth is quite small.

by Anonymousreply 158February 15, 2022 7:46 PM

Fortunately, so is her husband's dick R158

by Anonymousreply 159February 15, 2022 8:57 PM

R159-It's ok. Jake is versatile. He can play top.

by Anonymousreply 160February 15, 2022 9:08 PM

Not all 5 are "evils," as it were, r151.

I hope Olivia Colman doesn't win. Her "Moi?! Little old MOI?!" act is maddening.

by Anonymousreply 161February 15, 2022 10:07 PM

Olivia does not deserve recognition in The Lost Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 162February 15, 2022 10:42 PM

Neither does Nicole. Hoping it goes to Penelope or Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 163February 16, 2022 3:21 AM

Hasn't anyone mentioned the lack of nomination for Simon Rex?

by Anonymousreply 164February 16, 2022 5:20 AM

No, because he didn't deserve one.

by Anonymousreply 165February 16, 2022 5:53 AM

R165 he won the Best Actor award from the LA Film Critics Association for Red Rocket. Benedict Cumberbatch was runner-up. Did Javier Bardem deserve his nomination for Being the Ricardos?

by Anonymousreply 166February 16, 2022 6:21 AM

The LA Film Critics awards always has stupid picks. Rex was undeserving, as was Bardem. As was Cumberbatch, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 167February 16, 2022 6:24 AM

I think that fifth spot in Best Actor could have gone to anyone, including Simon Rex. Bardem just happened to benefit from the strength of Kidman’s performance.

by Anonymousreply 168February 16, 2022 1:01 PM

Daniel Craig on Broadway vs. Denzel on the big screen:

Who plays Macbeth better?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 16, 2022 5:59 PM

Female Black General Banquo? "Non-binary" "they/them" Malcolm?

I get it: Shakespeare's plays are adaptable and universal movable feasts. I mean, Patrick Stewart's "Macbeth" on Broadway was set in a modern war-time hospital, and I loved it! But at least then there was a real purpose to the setting and costumes as symbolic of (Eastern) European Fascism.

I'll be passing on this "Woke" rendition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170February 16, 2022 6:22 PM

IM SICK OF BOTH REGINAS AND THEYR DAM COMMERCIALS FOR COSMETICS AND SHIT...

THE RICARDOS WAS GHASTLY, ALSO THE MACBETH FIASCO.

by Anonymousreply 171February 17, 2022 3:55 AM

R171, dial it back a notch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 17, 2022 3:59 AM

Highly recommed simon rexs movie Red Rocket....damn good!

by Anonymousreply 173February 17, 2022 4:09 AM

I thought I recognized the music over the credits at the end of Being The Ricardos. It just came to me and I checked it out. It's the same tune from the film, Missing, with Jack Lemmon. Do composers often lift other people's music for movie scores and call it their own?

by Anonymousreply 174February 20, 2022 5:39 PM

Good catch, R174! It's not a direct copy, but it's very close in style and melody. Yes, composers will often copy music from another film. Usually because the director will use music from another film during the editing process as a temporary score. Then the director tells the composer that he wants something similar to that during this scene. Often the composer will create a variation on that and call it a day. They probably didn't think anyone would recognize some obscure Vangelis theme from a 40-year old movie.

This video talks about temp scores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 20, 2022 6:11 PM

Here's another video talking about temp music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 20, 2022 6:41 PM

Ok, I've finally watched Being the Ricardos, and I don't hate Nicole Kidman's performance, but I don't love it either. Between Jessica Chastain as Tammy Faye and Nicole Kidman as Lucille Ball, Chastain should win.

Some of the references do not work. For instance, Judy Holiday was not a star when Ball made The Big Street. Also, she didn't go from RKO down to radio, she fell up to MGM which they barely touched on. The Big Street came out in 1942 she didn't start My Favorite Husband until 1948. There was so many better ways to write this story. Lucille Ball is one of the most fascinating people in entertainment history. There is so much to the story than this film even touched upon. Lucy should be a fucking feminist hero. A story perfect for this time in history. Was Aaron Sorkin sober when writing this? If so, he should no longer write scripts if he doesn't have a mountain of coke in front of him. And, honestly the tone of this film would have been better if it was built around their last show together.

Also, a new rule for Hollywood, you can't cast Tony Hale and Alia Shawkat as costars in a "serious" film. Also, even if it is a serious film, if the subject of the film is one of the funniest icons of all time there needs to be some humor in the script.

by Anonymousreply 177February 22, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote]if the subject of the film is one of the funniest icons of all time there needs to be some humor in the script.

Have you no decency Sir? The story is when that icon is being accused of being a Communist in the scariest history in our country. They were terrified of losing everything.

by Anonymousreply 178February 22, 2022 2:25 AM

I like Ball and Henry Fonda, but they are both at their very worst in "The Big Street", which is worthy of a Carol Burnett parody.

by Anonymousreply 179February 22, 2022 2:31 AM

R178 But, there is no real drama about that either. It is a movie devoid of humor or drama, so what exactly is it?

by Anonymousreply 180February 22, 2022 2:46 AM

R178, The Communist accusation was not the focus of much of the first half of the movie. And even when it was the focus, the dry telling and boring truth of "I signed a document--I was told to sign a document--Okay, I knew what I was signing" blah de blah did not, to me, read "scariest time" or "terrified."

Coincidentally, both "BtR" and "TEoTF" involve female TV performers (with, it might be added, egotistical philandering husbands). But between Tammy Faye and Lucy, only one is shown exuding true happiness in entertaining an audience, and it ain't the comedienne. (And only one is shown struggling with her husband's infidelity. Guess. We see Lucille cleverly trick Desi with a lipstick-stained handkerchief, and that's it. The credits tell us about her filing for divorce. I can get that from Google.)

Yeah, we get it: Real life is different from TV life. But if the reality is dull, please, just let the show be all.

by Anonymousreply 181February 22, 2022 2:56 AM

R181 They didn't even use the famous line Desi really said that night, “I want you to meet my favorite wife – my favorite redhead – in fact, that’s the only thing red about her, and even that’s not legitimate – Lucille Ball!”

by Anonymousreply 182February 22, 2022 3:05 AM

The problem with Being the Ricardos is that Sorkin tried to cram too much into the movie:

Desi's infidelities

Lucy's rise and fall in the movies

The pregnancy

Desi's business acumen

Lucy's comic genius

The communism accusation

The behind-the-scenes of "I Love Lucy"

If he had just focused on two or three of these, it might have made for a better movie.

by Anonymousreply 183February 22, 2022 3:07 AM

R183 Yes, there was no focus. It was like if he tried to take a whole season of The West Wing and condense it into one movie. It was like three good movies combined into one mediocre one.

by Anonymousreply 184February 22, 2022 3:11 AM

I think if he had focused on the communism accusation, the behind-the-scenes of how that affected the cast and crew that week, and Desi's fight to save Lucy and the show, it would have been more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 185February 22, 2022 3:20 AM

The Eyes of Tammy Faye and Chastain’s performance are both better. Chastain win (and should) win.

by Anonymousreply 186February 22, 2022 11:58 AM

It'll be Kidman and Smith for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 187February 22, 2022 4:52 PM

A Kidman win might send Jada over the edge. I'm not even sure a Penelope Cruz win would satisfy Jada.

by Anonymousreply 188February 22, 2022 4:57 PM

Fuck Jada. Isn't she doing network tv now?

by Anonymousreply 189February 22, 2022 5:05 PM

Years from now "Being the Ricardos" will be one of those biographical films that makes the "worst films ever" list.

by Anonymousreply 190February 22, 2022 5:46 PM

R185 I never thought anything related to TV's queen of comedy could be so utterly boring.

by Anonymousreply 191February 22, 2022 5:50 PM

I saw an interview with Sorkin when he was promoting the movie. Here's what I think was a big problem: unlike most Americans of a certain age, he did not grow up watching ILL reruns. It was barely in his radar. He discovered it late and life, did a little research (it sounded like he wikipedia-ed like everybody else), (He says, paraphrasing), "Did you know Lucy was outed as a communist. I don't know that. Or about their fight to get her pregnancy in".

And he thought it would make a great movie. But without the history being imbedded in his knowledge of American pop culture, he portrays it without any sense of timeline or nuance. Like he's writing a 10-page essay for his history class and notes "The End" at the bottom of Page10.

by Anonymousreply 192February 22, 2022 6:00 PM

R192 Did he say in an interview if he had a thing for Judy Holliday? Because, his mentions of her in the script made no fucking sense. NOBODY knew who she was when Lucy made The Big Street. RKO wasn't wanting anyone to loan her to them. Lucy might've only been "Queen of the B's" at the time but Holliday was a nobody. She made her film debut in 1944, two years after The Big Street was made. She became a Broadway star in 1946 with Born Yesterday, and then a movie star with her performance in 1949's Adam's Rib. That was a simple thing, that just totally ruined the film for me, because if he couldn't get that accurate, I knew I couldn't trust anything else he had to say.

Also, the ending sucked. In real life Desi made a rather famous quotable speech that night. Why, did Sorkin make J. Edger, fucking, Hoover into Lucy's white knight? That phone call never happened. Hollywood has gone out of its way for years to cast Hoover as a villain, why the sudden change? The only thing I can think of is that currently it is the Left who says to trust the head of the FBI so he had to make the head of the FBI into a hero.

It is the same problem I have with The Crown, I can understand creating possible conversations using dramatic licence, but the timeline and participants are part of history and shouldn't be messed with to create drama, when we are talking about real events.

Lucy's story deserves to be told, fully, and I hope that some day it will get the treatment it deserves because this film was not it. Coal Miner's Daughter is considered one of the best biopics of all time, but this was more like the Patsy and Lorretta film that Lifetime made a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 193February 22, 2022 11:58 PM

Relax, it's just a movie.

by Anonymousreply 194February 24, 2022 9:01 AM

You guys are really serious about this stuff. Amazing

by Anonymousreply 195February 24, 2022 11:03 AM

Hard to believe Sorkin made such a pile of warm pop poop.

by Anonymousreply 196February 25, 2022 10:16 AM

Please jesus, deny kidman and smith oscars !

by Anonymousreply 197February 25, 2022 10:17 AM

Just saw The Power of The Dog.

The film was lyrical, though a bit hard to watch: a bit of a thriller.....you know it is building to a crescendo and some rabbit will be pulled out of a hat. [No intentional play on words there.]

The entire cast was stellar. The directing must have been brilliant. Not a particular fan of Cumberbatch, but wow. And even Kirsten Dunst (who I know of very, very loosely and because of this, do not warm to her), found her performance impressive.

Even Jesse and Kodi were good.

The cinematography was stunning and harkens back to an age of nuance and the natural world to speak with subtle cues.

Can understand that it is not a film for everyone, but having seen all the Oscar-nominated films, believe this to be the best. And while I am as surprised as anyone to be advocating this, think Cumberbatch played his role beautifully for an Oscar worthy role.

by Anonymousreply 198February 26, 2022 2:48 AM

Plemons is just so boring. He and Dunst are the perfect couple.

by Anonymousreply 199February 26, 2022 4:06 PM

Cannot wait for the Oscars. I'm rolling out the red carpet now.

by Anonymousreply 200February 27, 2022 4:27 PM

SAGs are tonight.

by Anonymousreply 201February 27, 2022 6:36 PM

My girl Jessica Chastain just won the SAG. I'm telling you she will win the Oscar. Her performance as Tammy Faye was absolutely amazing!

by Anonymousreply 202February 28, 2022 5:13 AM

Wow, R202, what a bold prediction. Don't tell too many people how clairvoyant you are. You'll be hounded by the press for sure!

by Anonymousreply 203February 28, 2022 5:51 AM

[quote]My girl Jessica Chastain just won the SAG. I'm telling you she will win the Oscar. Her performance as Tammy Faye was absolutely amazing!

I will admit it . I shuddered at the idea. I scoffed at the trailer and I delayed my viewing but after the first ten minutes she had me. She has my blessing to win the Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 204February 28, 2022 10:42 PM

R204 I felt the same way. I thought it would be like an over long SNL skit. But, she did an amazing job turning an icon into a real human being. Normally I love Kidman, but compared to Chastain her performance was horrible. Chastain really found the heart of the character, but Kidman never did. Though, to be fair I place a majority of the problems with Being the Ricardos on Sorkin.

by Anonymousreply 205February 28, 2022 11:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!