Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Chariots of Fire

It won the 1982 Oscar for Best Picture, but seems to be completely forgotten today. Did you see it? Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 10:20 PM

It's fun, definitely worth seeing. The Vangelis score seems dated now, but lots of talent in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2022 4:32 AM

No, I did not see it, but the theme score had a life of it's own and was on the radio for years. You couldn't escape, even in the elevators.

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2022 4:35 AM

[quote] ou couldn't escape, even in the elevators.

Especially in the elevators.

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2022 4:37 AM

It's a decent film with good performances. And there's a lot of male eye candy, too (bonus!)

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2022 4:38 AM

Very beautiful and moving in spots. Wonderful costumes by legendary Milena Canonero.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2022 4:39 AM

I'd rather forget.

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2022 4:45 AM

It's a good movie, but very British - understated, full of noble characters, sophisticated production values, but lacks an emotional connection. It was a surprise winner for the Best Picture Oscar. Reds was the favorite to win, but I never thought it was deserving. I would have chosen Raiders of the Lost Ark.

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2022 5:02 AM

Just watched it recently. It's a very well -made film, but its values wouldn't be valued today. It would be released in March, make $1.2 million, and get solid but nonrapturous reviews.

I'm with r7 that Raiders of the Lost Ark was the best choice of those 5 (Chariots of Fire is neck-and-neck with Reds and Atlantic City for well-made films who've aged well but for old but not looked at as classics in a modern way). On Golden Pond does not hold up well, though the acting is quite effective (which leads to a sidebar about Kate Hepburn's surprise Oscar win here preventing them from giving it to Meryl for a really hammy performance in French Lieutenant's Woman, or a second Lead Oscar for Diane Keaton. Susan Sarandon probably finished last, but hers was the most interesting performance of the lot for Atlantic City).

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2022 5:14 AM

It was smail and tasteful.

It told a story in which I had no interest.

It featured a young blond actor named Ian Charleson who died from Aids very soon afterwards.

It also contained a small featured role to bring in the American viewers featuring that ham-faced performer named Brad Davis.

There was also that annoying pipsqueak psycho named Ian Holm.

The pretty sets, cinematography and crazily-anachronistic soundtrack made it seem more of a 90 minute commercial than a serious movie.

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2022 5:29 AM

I saw it as a teen and thought both Ian Charleson and Ben Cross were cute and shapely in their running shorts. I bought the soundtrack LP, but didn't end up playing it much. I was never really into sports or the Olympics, so I found the story a bit boring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2022 5:42 AM

It had an ensemble cast.

There was no particular hero.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2022 5:48 AM

Ian Charleson played Hamlet at the National Threatre, played Brick in 'Cat', was nude briefly in that ugly thing called 'Jubilee', and had Aids between 1986 and 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2022 6:22 AM

The REAL Chariot of Fire:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2022 6:27 AM

I liked the running more in Gallipoli, greater heartbreak, less music.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2022 6:28 AM

It’s a nice little movie, based on a true story. I enjoyed it. I found Reds to be boring and too long.

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2022 6:32 AM

[quote] Reds

Pretentious, pompously portentous and he didn't even give us a nude scene!

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2022 6:35 AM

'Chariots of Fire' introduced us to glorious short 'career' of Dodi Fayed.(You know who) David Puttnam had to have him removed from the set because he was blatently throwing cocaine around.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2022 6:56 AM

For those of you who missed the original reference:

Jerusalem By William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains green: And was the holy Lamb of God, On England's pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine, Shine forth upon our clouded hills? And was Jerusalem builded here, Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold: Bring me my arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight, Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem, In England's green & pleasant Land.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2022 7:00 AM

Boring horrid garbage. What were the Academy thinking?

I think that awful score by Vangelis elevated the film for many. I hated the score the most.

Notice that director Hugh Hudson went on to have a pretty much nothing career. Greystoke had it's admirers and I like his 'directors cut' of the much mangled Revolution.

Was was shocked when it won best film at the Oscars. You could have knocked me over with a feather but it retrospect I sort of get it's win now.

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2022 7:03 AM

I watched it over the holidays and enjoyed it very much, although I kind of wish Ian and Ben's characters had a running match.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2022 7:06 AM

If you love how I took down Salieri for his tepid musical piece in the movie about my life, you would have loved how I would have taken down Vangelis for his very repetitive score.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2022 7:08 AM

THIS should have won the Oscar for Best Original Score in 1982:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2022 8:03 AM

There was music in On Golden Pond? I only remember the loons?

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2022 12:57 PM

I do remember the surprise that this won—and the slo-mo running on the beach to Vangelis quickly became parodied. Raiders would have been a more worthy winner—it’s a classic, but Atlantic City is the movie that has stayed with me more over the years.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2023 9:35 PM

I don't dislike the Vangelis score, but agree it is very limited.

His work for Blade Runner on the other hand, is one of the all-time science fiction greats.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2023 10:16 PM

R25 = Barbara Thorndyke

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 10:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!