Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Frank Lloyd Wright’s iconic Ennis House is listed for a mere $23 million

One of the most impressive homes in America has surfaced on the market after a nearly $17,000,000 restoration. Now, it's looking for a new buyer.

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built by his son in 1924 for retailer Charles Ennis and his wife, Mabel, the 6,200-square-foot residence has been featured dozens of times in film and television—including Rush Hour, Twin Peaks, Mullholland Drive, and most famously, in the 1982 film Blade Runner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 28, 2022 11:01 PM

I'll have my girl call your girl :) Breathtaking!

by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2022 10:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2022 10:23 PM

You couldn't list Karate Kid Part 3 OP?

by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2022 10:23 PM

Concrete in LA with no lawn. Wright was up his own arse.

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2022 10:28 PM

Hideous.

Even Frank Lloyd Wright made mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2022 10:36 PM

More famous for the original House On Haunted Hill with Vincent Price.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2022 10:36 PM

Spectacular house and view, so much nicer then the contemporary white shoeboxes that litter LA

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2022 10:38 PM

Very Mesoamerican decapitation chic.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2022 10:56 PM

It’s cool, but I thought the owners were donating to the city?

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2022 11:07 PM

Who would want it? It;s falling apart because the concrete tiles were made wrong. You can't tear it down because it's an historical landmark, and you can't alter it in any way!

The neighbors hate the riff raff who are trying to get pics of it, too!

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2022 11:11 PM

I would absolutely love to live in a Frank Lloyd Wright house, but this one probably wouldn't be my first choice.

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2022 11:13 PM

I admire some of Wright's designs (not so much this one), but his interiors are almost always unappealing to me (especially the furniture he designed). Imagine actually living in these rooms....

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2022 11:18 PM

I actually quite like this, its not my style, but its grown on me as I look at it. As R7 says, so much nicer than all the shitty white boxes

R10 All those issues have been fixed - at a cost of $17 million

by Anonymousreply 13February 3, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote] Concrete in LA with no lawn. Wright was up his own arse.

You know CA is in a drought right? Not having a lawn is currently a plus.

by Anonymousreply 14February 3, 2022 1:33 AM

Did Frank design it with Legos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 3, 2022 1:38 AM

The house works better as a museum rather than a place to live.

by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2022 2:10 AM

^ All Frank Lloyd Wright houses are museums these days. Most owners think of themselves as curators of classic works of art rather than homeowners. Having a FLW house is not for the faint of heart, but if I were wealthy it would be at the top of my list

by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2022 2:18 AM

My grandparents had a Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian house in suburban Chicago. Growing up and going to their house was always a treat. Even as a kid I knew I was in something special that no one else had. Even though it was small it had soaring ceilings, a massive fireplace and radiant heat in the floor. Their floors were toasty warm in the winter and we were aloud to run around barefoot even in January

by Anonymousreply 18February 3, 2022 2:26 AM

Much more shocking is USC is trying to offload a FLW house they were donated and which they’ve been incredible bad stewards of leaving it ramshackled and in a more ruinous state then when they received it. I guess they still have lots of ongoing scandalous lawsuits that they’re trying to settle and want to raise cash for payouts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 3, 2022 2:51 AM

^ That one's in rough shape, but oh what a great location. Looks like it sold for $3.25 Million

by Anonymousreply 20February 3, 2022 2:58 AM

Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller asked FLW to design a simple country house for Miller's property in Connecticut. Wright instead designed this structure which was eventually built at a golf course in Hawaii.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 3, 2022 3:03 AM

Am I the only person who does not like FLW? Never have like any of his houses nor any of that mid-century austere crap.

It had a moment, and I might have appreciated the aesthetic more of had stayed in the past.

It reminds me of nuclear war.

by Anonymousreply 22February 3, 2022 3:04 AM

I've always jokingly sad that FLW knew his houses would end up as tourist attractions because he built a gift shop into each one of them.

by Anonymousreply 23February 3, 2022 3:11 AM

I love the Mayan Revival bits of Ennis House, but I'd rather live in Fallingwater. When I visited it, I fell in love immediately. That being said, I'm glad it was entrusted to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, as opposed to being sold privately. I can't own it, and neither can anyone else. Thankfully, I can visit it...and usually do once or twice a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2022 3:21 AM

^ I've been in a lot of FLW houses, but Falling Water is still one of my favorites

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2022 3:24 AM

Stunning. I was enthralled until I got to the loggia which gave me prison vibes. Too severe. Even so the house is a work of art.

by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2022 3:27 AM

I appreciate his ideas. But his LA houses are mostly misses. Falling water works in theory - if not practically. Some of his designs would be interesting to build today with better engineering and less dark interiors.

by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2022 3:28 AM

Very mausoleum like but at the same time peaceful. Maybe that was what he was going for.

by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote] "I've been in a lot of FLW houses, but Falling Water is still one of my favorites"

There's so much to love about Fallingwater! I've only visited Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, unfortunately. That being said, the life and work of FLW is one of my favorite subjects, so I'm fairly well-versed. This will have to do until I can get myself to more of the publicly-available buildings/homes. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2022 3:33 AM

I live near Taliesin in Wisconsin. The school tours are great. There are so many of his houses around here and in Chicago that there is always some kind of tour going on

by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2022 3:42 AM

Ennis is a name that really, really bugs me. And that house looks like a brick shithouse.

by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2022 3:45 AM

Ennis del Marr bugs me even more.

by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2022 3:47 AM

The tour here is great...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2022 3:48 AM

Is it me? It kind of looks like Lego blocks ?

by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2022 3:50 AM

The SC Johnson campus in Racine is a great tour. He didn't just build houses. Those desks go for a fortune if you can get your hands on one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 3, 2022 3:59 AM

you have to realize a "frank Lloyd Wright House" includes the interior decor and furniture! You cant change anything, even though the general public has no access to the interior of the house unless the owner allows tours! Da'fuq????

by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2022 4:56 AM

This house is wonderfully covered in Thom Anderson’s “Los Angeles Plays Itself” — there’s a segment on it appearing in films, Latin American mudjiv videos, etc, and then it’s mentioned now and again in the rest of the doc.

I hate the house but understand why some people love it, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2022 5:13 AM

music ^^^

by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2022 5:14 AM

The FLW designed house in Florence, Alabama is lovely and more suitable for everyday living. I love all the wood and windows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 3, 2022 5:25 AM

Wright's Aztec period scares me, it's very dark and lacks warmth and humanity, perhaps the product of a troubled mind. I'm a Usonian kind of fellow.

by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2022 5:29 AM

He sure was a busy fellow.

by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2022 6:44 AM

It has AMAZING views and so many beautiful angles and height! Without seeming like a mausoleum. Aztec is practically Egyptian. It looks like Cher's house without plants. Or Isabella Rossellini's characters home in Death Becomes Her.

The outside is ugly of course. But there's a price to pay for such gorgeous use of space and the natural landscape. There may be no lawn but from every window there is vast amounts of nature and green. Who doesn't want the Griffith Conservatory for a neighbor?

The house does look a bit troubled. A spacious place for a night living hermit. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 42August 28, 2022 8:42 PM

Since someone bumped this thread, I will admit that the view is pretty spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 43August 28, 2022 9:12 PM

I think it would be difficult to live in full time, but if I had the money for this I'd have other more livable houses. This would be my LA party house 😜

by Anonymousreply 44August 28, 2022 9:27 PM

When Jack Warner bought the screen rights to The Fountainhead, he asked FLW to do the set design and production design. Wright was interested but when he submitted his projected fee, Warner told him to forget it and assigned everything to the studio's art department.

by Anonymousreply 45August 28, 2022 9:52 PM

It's so sad that Jack didn't get to move in after Ennis built it.

by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2022 10:01 PM

Why, R31? Ennis seems an inoffensive name to me. It’s a town in Co. Clare in the west of Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 47August 28, 2022 10:04 PM

^ It's the name of the man who built the house. His house, his name

by Anonymousreply 48August 28, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote]The SC Johnson campus in Racine is a great tour. He didn't just build houses.

Florida Southern College in Lakeland has the only FLW designed planetarium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 28, 2022 10:34 PM

One of the conditions of buying the house is that you have to allow tours one day a year (maybe month ?...I dont remember)

by Anonymousreply 50August 28, 2022 10:49 PM

Love this house.

by Anonymousreply 51August 28, 2022 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!