Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roxane Gay has SPOKEN on Andre Leon Talley

Never mind Anna Wintour's statement. The world was waiting to hear what Roxane said.

As usual, she is AGGRIEVED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2023 10:11 AM

Nuclear Wintour's statement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 5:47 PM

I know that Ms. Gay exhausts us all, but to be fair... she does have a good point about your job never loving you back. More people need to realize that.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 5:58 PM

True, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 6:09 PM

Roxane and Andre were twins.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 6:14 PM

Roxane is absolutely correct in this case, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 6:15 PM

Miss OP is obsessed 🙄

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 6:18 PM

Ms. Gay (1) was wrong about Vogue's comment and (2) never will admit it.

She's a job, and she's right about it never loving one back.

Ffffffft.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 6:21 PM

Does Vogue tweet about anyone's death?

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 6:23 PM

Anyone else notice that Vogue dug up an old article about "getting rid of bad vibes" and posted it minutes after Andre's death was announced?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 6:24 PM

Meh - a PERSONAL statement by a Conde Nast VIP takes a few hours to pull together. It didn't take days. This is silly outrage. Plus those two were estranged friends. If Anna tweeted gushing condolences with a few poor chosen words, it would backfire as well.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 6:25 PM

Gay is a spoiled brat but she is completely on point here.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 6:26 PM

except his job *did* love him back, he was kept on the payroll *long* past his prime (i.e. the late 1980s) as an "editor-at-large" for not doing all that much. Anna Wintour tried to get him help for his obvious eating disorder(s) but he refused. How does he repay her? By writing a lousy tell-all that only revealed what a warped sense of self he has. You can't complain about the fashion/publishing industry being elitist and fickle when those are the exact qualities that you perpetuated while at Vogue. When you act like a bitchy 14-year old girl to everyone that behavior will eventually come back to you. He relied on friends like the Manolo Blahnik guys but then screwed them over because of his irresponsible financial decisions. Andre made choices and lived his life in a certain way that had myriad negative consequences. It's not Wintour or Conde Nast's fault that he refused to get help to move past his various difficulties/childhood traumas and instead continued to live with the attitude of a shallow teenager.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 6:36 PM

Can I have his caftans?

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote]but to be fair... she does have a good point about your job never loving you back. More people need to realize that.

But then after saying that, she bitches that it's "foul business" Vogue did not love him back.

That's so like her.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 6:55 PM

You know what else is never going to love Mz Gay back? Food.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 6:58 PM

Roxane Gay could have been the next bell hooks after the huge success of her book of essays [italic]Bad Feminist,[/italic] but she spent all her capital with progressives by wanting to stay at home and bitch to twitter about everything in the universe, large or small, mostly centering on popular culture and her twitter respondents (who never say anything that pleases her unless it's 100% laudatory and supportive).

Maybe that's what she most wanted to do with her life (she clearly enjoys the bitching), but she will never have the kind of influence hooks had in academia because she's so querulous and so shallow.

No one loves a petty crank.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2022 7:00 PM

R13, "Can I have his caftans?"

Roxane, they'd be too small for you.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 7:02 PM

It's afternoon now and the pressure is building. I wish she'd get up for just a few minutes!

Though poor Toilet has to bear the brunt of that if she does.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 7:47 PM

How is she "on point" or "correct" when Vogue DID tweet Wintour's personal message????

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 7:50 PM

Why are you freepers so obsessed with Roxane Gay? Get a life

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 7:51 PM

R19 She tweeted that last night - it was today that Vogue finally released a statement and acknowledged his passing on their website and on social media.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 7:51 PM

Being fascinated by this perpetual attention whore does not make one a "freeper."

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 7:53 PM

I guess Vogue doesn't operate to Gay's personal schedule.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 7:53 PM

Maybe she doesn't understand that not everyone spends 24/7 Tweeting like her and the social media and PR folks needed to wait til the Vogue office opened up today.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 7:57 PM

R19 and R23, I think that the implication here is that Gay's tweet actually forced Vogue to post that item the following morning.

Look at the timestamps.

Not necessarily agreeing that Vogue does things based on angry tweets lobbed at them, but that appears to be a possibility here.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 7:59 PM

When was his death announced? Wasn't last evening?

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote] Why are you freepers so obsessed with Roxane Gay? Get a life

Datalounge loves making fun of fat women.

Roxane Gay, Chrissy Metz, Lizzo, etc.

Considering that most gay men have stunted maturity, and have the mentality of teenage girls, this is not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2022 8:12 PM

R27- You said Datalounge loves making fun of fat woman- you forgot to mention Andre Leon Talley.

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2022 8:14 PM

Roxane Gay is feeling AMBITIOUS

She's gonna attempt to finish TWO dozen donuts in one sitting instead of ONE dozen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2022 8:20 PM

What’s has become of our world that we judge people by how quickly they tweet their condolences?

If Roxane got called out over a delay in publicly acknowledging someone’s death, she would respond savagely.

Frankly, that’s performative. Better they reach out to loved ones of the deceased with personal support (though in this case I do realize he had no survivors).

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2022 9:05 PM

I see the concern fraus and gossip frauettes have joined the chat.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2022 9:39 PM

Who are these people? Geez.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2022 9:59 PM

Damn those tweets are bitchy and OTT. Who ARE these people? Selfish and demanding. Vogue actually pulled together a real tribute to this man about who I still know little. I particularly don' t know what the hell he did. Everyone seems so very vague about it all. Did he actually do work or was he just a gadfly who flitted about telling people they looked fabulous in purple this season?

Why all the fuss about some diva who seems to have contributed little to the world of any substance? I'm sorry he had emotional issues but welcome to the universe.

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2022 3:26 AM

R33 he did design some clothing but it was, well different. but wealthy celebrities bought and wore it even though it looked silly to me and it just shows how they have no common sense and too much money to throw away. I feel bad for him as he was gay, sort of closeted, and had to put up with wealthy and snobby designers and celebrities who were racist towards him. It's interesting now, how after his death heterosexual black society, social media, Gayle King Oprah's GF, even the news media are all fawning over him saying how he was an icon, etc. when they did not do any of this for the decades he was alive at all. ALT was narcissistic and like most narcissistic types he was cut off or people had boundaries.

In the below article he later claimed LouLou was not racist to him at all and that he was angry at the author of the article for writing an honest article about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2022 7:39 PM

R16's post is on point!

[quote]If Roxane got called out over a delay in publicly acknowledging someone’s death, she would respond savagely.

Boy, would she ever. I think that's what bugs people about her, she's very: "You all need to do everything I say, but me? I don't have to live by the rules I've set for you."

I don't disagree with everything she says at all, it's just she's so unpleasant with the way she speaks to people. It sucks when you see some adoring fan say something like: "This is so cool, Roxane! I love that recipe too, you should try adding a bit of mustard sometimes, I always do and I love it!" and Roxane snap back: "I KNOW this! Do you think I don't know this? SMH at these white people trying to teach me about spices".

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2022 10:57 PM

Twitter of Color is exhausting

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2022 11:25 PM

Andre Leon Talley was problematic.

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2022 11:31 PM

OP- The title of your thread - you make RG sound like the GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2022 11:33 PM

I read the article in r34…how dehumanizing it must’ve been for ALT. If he had slapped LouLou, she would’ve totally been deserving of it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2023 10:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!