Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Destroy this faux-castle in balmy Jacksonville, Florida

The dump has a name: "Arbor Abbey." I love how even the archways have silk drapes, and the crapper probably plays "Greensleeves" when flushed. And there's So. Much. Paneling!

No one in Florida, not even rich weirdos with a Lancelot fetish, lives like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2022 10:49 AM

The weirdo built a sleeping porch for their pet gooes.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 1:12 PM

I could live there. It would need an annual spring visit from the cement contractor for tuckpointing.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 1:17 PM

I like the kitchen but the green wallpaper in the bathroom screws up my depth perception. I would verify the tapestries are included in the price. I've known people who have taken their custom blinds even though they can't use them in their next home.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 1:35 PM

Ooh, a medieval theme restaurant, just what I always wanted...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 1:40 PM

Beautiful on the outside, and you'll need to rent a few dumpsters and empty EVERYTHING from inside.

Having said that, although the San Marco neighborhood is beautiful, you DO NOT want to live in Jacksonville. I've lived there. No amount of income or any incredible residence would ever be worth it.

If you must - say, for work which is how we ended up there for a while - stick to San Marco, Riverside, or Avondale. I hated Jacksonville with the heat of a thousand suns, but even I have to admit that those neighborhoods are beautiful. Park-like with some outstanding architecture.

FYI - The gays, such as they are, tend to live in Riverside and Avondale.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 2:07 PM

You have to love someone who has paneling installed on their dishwasher and refrigerator.

Hasn't that trend long since died out in classy decorating? People seem to like the look of their bare, stainless steel appliances. Also, it gives them a chance to show off how much things cost.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 2:10 PM

R1 is familiar with all internet traditions.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 2:11 PM

R1 That's an odd place to put it. I like to put all my goo in a butt. Or a few hours later, in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 2:13 PM

If it had been built in 2008, it would be awful. But the over the top details and flourishes aren’t so bad in a solidly constructed older home. There are similar homes in Westchester, although it’s not typical. It is more MORE.

It looks to be well-maintained, even if the kitchen and bathrooms are dated. It would be a comfortable home with the window treatments and half the furniture removed.

R6, I think people still panel the dishwashers and refrigerators, especially if it’s a kitchen in an older home that is more traditional/transitional than modern. What’s changed is that the newer fuller integrated sub-zeros (and similar) don’t have any exposed parts, so they look like pantries. And instead of one big unit, people get separate refrigerator and freezer columns. And then maybe an under counter beverage fridge.

I’m surprised at the price. I didn’t realize Jacksonville was that expensive. You wouldn’t save any money selling a house in the NYC burbs and moving down there, you might even be out of pocket. Taxes are probably half, though.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 2:29 PM

Excluded from dining room chandelier and powder room mirror. Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 3:38 PM

Curious is there a way to tone it down?

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 11:47 PM

3 mil. for that trainwreck?

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2022 4:13 AM

Jesus, lottery winners.

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2022 4:17 AM

take down all the attached decorations, there's a word... and it would be cool.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2022 4:24 AM

Completely out of place for Florida.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2022 4:32 AM

I don't hate it as much as I probably should. I always admire commitment to principle.

Half of the contents and all the window treatments need to go, unless you're planning on renting it out as medieval-themed AirBnB (which might work -- god knows there's not much else to do for fun in that area).

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2022 7:59 AM

R15

It's a style very common in some northern Florida cities. It isn't until you get out of Jacksonville to the surrounding beach towns that you find the "typical" Florida house and layout, that is prevalent across mid and southern Florida. And the cement cinder block style of house common to Florida tends to be in the more remote and poorer areas.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2022 10:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!