Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gwyneth Paltrow gets too much hate as an actress

Her Oscar winning performance is better than Jennifer Lawrence’s and Emma Stone’s. She was great in The Talented Mr. Ripley and Two Lovers.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2022 6:25 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow gets the right amount of hate as a person.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 6:48 AM

I agree OP. Gwyneth is a fine actress. The naysayers are tasteless, dizzy-queens.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 6:48 AM

She wasn’t better than Jennifer Lawrence for fuck’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 7:07 AM

I think her life has slide into a real life Sliding Doors and she’s obviously if it’s type good one or the bad one.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 7:16 AM

I think she’s not a very exciting leading lady, she seems better as a supporting player. There’s nothing very compelling about her when she is the lead. Did anybody see “possession”? It was god awful and her English accent that at first got a lot of praise, for earlier movies, seems really off in that one.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 7:18 AM

She was considered quite a good actress in the 90s. Her Oscar win seemed deserved and it wasn't a shock as people like to say now.

THEN

She got odd with goop and naming the kid apple and her off screen capers overshadowed her being thought of as a serious actress.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 7:25 AM

Agreed, OP. She's been in 50 or so films, many of them interesting projects and I don't think I've seen a film where she falls beneath the range of 'More Than Adequate' to 'Rather Good.' And I've been pleasantly surprised by her at times.

Gwyneth Paltrow is to many others what actresses like Nicole Kidman and Reese WItherspoon are to me: names that make me wince and think, "best avoid that film, then." Though either performs almost adequately in some interesting projects, their presence is inescapable that I'll generally make a point to avoid seeing them. Paltrow is much better than those two to my eye, and there is maybe potential to do something really interesting, particularly as she ages.

As for Gwyneth Paltrow the person, she's that outwardly awful friend you had in college that you didn't toss away because, well, she was always there, or always with some other friends, but over time you came to see that there is something, occasionally kind, or insightful, or a bit of substance that wasn't wrapped in haughtiness or other armor. She's ridiculous half the time, but you learn to shrug it off the way you do with some people.

I've no idea if she's wacky or wise or just doesn't care, about trekking around Spain with the now disgraced Mario Batali and his crocs, or developing lifestyle "products" (and candles), or marrying emo but somehow hot Chris Martin, or playing at the daddy's little girl thing for too long (when she seems more like her mother's prickly film characters.) She seems harmless to me, and her foibles are more interesting than upbraiding a traffic cop for not knowing who she is (I'm sure she would do it with more aplomb than Reese W.)

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 8:13 AM

I think she is a good actress, with limited range. She is very good playing the same ice-queen upper middle class to really rich woman role.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 8:28 AM

My issue is how she appeared when she won that Oscar. It's like she was going for a Grace Kelly look but was too thin to pull it off. The dress, hairstyle and necklace were a terrible combination and made her look far too thin. The crying didn't help either.

I've just started listening to HG Tudor roast her on YouTube. He rips her for the jade vaginal eggs and the vaginal steaming, among many other things she endorses on the Goop platform.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 9:47 AM

Reese Witherspoon disappointed me ages ago, r7. To start out in Freeway and end up in so much smushy crap so quickly. Such a waste.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 9:53 AM

Because people with at least average intelligence hate a snake oil salesman and that's what she is. Even if she stopped now and apologized, I'd still dislike her. I feel the same about Joe Rogan or any other self appointed wellness nut. Keep your shit to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 9:55 AM

It’s true r11 anybody who treats others like idiots to make money off of us untrustworthy to me. She’ll find out if she’s ever sick how useless all her potions and wellness crap is. I just wonder if she’s so stupid that she got taken in by it all and believes it or is just making money off of it and realises the futility of it.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 10:11 AM

She would be doing local theatre if it weren’t for her parents’ connections.

She acted in about a dozen Harvey Weinstein produced movies. How much female actress abuse could she have prevented in the past twenty years if she had come forward about him in the late 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 10:19 AM

OP is Gwyneth's press agent.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 10:31 AM

She was the queen of the late 90's in my opinion. However, her choices suffered in the 2000's.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 10:38 AM

I feel sorry for her hawking diet fads and organic teas on Goop. The 90’s bitch version of herself would roll her eyes and sigh at this person.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2022 10:42 AM

R16, GOOP is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and everyone from Reese Witherspoon to Cameron Diaz jumped on her bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 10:50 AM

She gave amazing performances in several movies

PTA's first movie Hard Eight, which is also my favorite PTA movie. Goop played a hooker. The scenes she had with Philip Baker Hall where he tells her that she should have learned in hooker school that you always get the money upfront. And she yells at him he should fuck off.

The most amazing thing was that there was nothing of Gwyneth Paltrow in that character. She completely disappeared into the role.

Proof was a great movie too and likewise she absolutely nailed the character, same with the movie where she played Sylvia Plath.

I love that scene in Iron Man where she fixes Tony Stark's reactor in his chest. So funny the chemistry between Downey Jr and Goop.

I really don't care for her Goop stuff, but she is a very fine actress. Too bad, most people only know the Shakespeare movie and the Ripley one, which I never cared for.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 10:50 AM

I don’t think it is worth “hundreds of millions” at all. 140 employee have quit Goop recently including C level executives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 10:58 AM

I saw a little of that over-achieving Glee performance and it was as if she was screaming "Look how cute I am for a 39-year-old. My body is great, isn't it? And I can sing and dance although I never get credit for it."

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 11:55 AM

Who cares? She's a vapid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 12:27 PM

I remember she got great reviews for a Meg Ryan film Flesh and Bone and that seemed to start her ascent as an actress.

Anyone see that film? I think it was the followup film for the guy who made The Fabulous Baker Boys but it bombed.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2022 4:28 AM

She was good in Flesh and Bone. People need to distinguish between the actress and the person. She's a very capable and versatile actress who can carry complex characters. I would love to see her in something interesting again.

I acknowledge that Susan Sarandon is a very good actress although I hate her with a passion.

Not that Paltrow is as repulsive and disgusting as Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2022 4:34 AM

What kind of character does she play in Flesh and Bone? Isn't it a drifter/hitchhiker type. Not her usual patrician style.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2022 4:36 AM

Ahem, R15 excuse me? You must be Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2022 4:39 AM

She's annoying pretty much most of her movies but she was really good in Sydney/Hard 8. I guess good directors can wrangle great performances of mediocre actors.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2022 4:45 AM

I liked her as Sylvia Plath, especially when she put her head in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2022 4:47 AM

GOOP was great in Two Lovers & The Talented Mr. Ripley. She was fine for what she had to work with in her other films.

I prefer her to most actresses currently working in cinema.

I remember when Flesh & Bone (1993) opened and was largely panned critics singled GOOP out as someone to watch - she stole the film from Denis Quaid and Meg Ryan (I know that's not hard but still).

I think she could have had a better career if she really wanted to but appearing in a lot of those third rate Harvey films didn't help and I really don't think she was hungry enough.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2022 4:52 AM

She plays a hard boiled drifter in Flesh and Bone and she pulls it off.

Her performance in Hard Eight wasn't just a one off good performance R26. Her character in Proof was very different from the one she played in Hard Eight and she absolutely nailed it. The movie is very good too. The only weak element is Jake Gyllenhaal who never impresses me as an actor.

Anthony Hopkins, Hope Davis and Paltrow, all gave excellent performances.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2022 4:56 AM

Not impressed with her acting history.

When she plays herself - for example in The Talented Mr. Ripley - she isn’t bad, but otherwise she’s just not good.

The whole GOOP thing is a complete scan.

As someone said above, she’d be doing community theatre if it weren’t for her parents.

She’s a snob. And very cruel.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2022 4:57 AM

She is a good actress. Even J. Lo is a competent actress. Still monsters.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2022 5:10 AM

Nah. I think she deserves much more, and I believe we all have more hate to give.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2022 7:30 AM

she doesn't get enough hate

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2022 7:49 AM

I try never to hate anyone. It's bad for the soul. So in the case of Paltrow I'll just have to settle with contempt.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2022 7:54 AM

She was good in several films. It was the vagina steaming that did it. That has to be the most ludicrous example of a person who is totally up herself.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2022 7:54 AM

Everyone liked her dying first from Covid in Contagion. She was the only actress for the part.

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2022 5:26 AM

Thanks to this cunt, I can appreciate really good art created by assholes.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2022 5:45 AM

I sat through "A Perfect Murder" on local television with six minutes of programming and four minutes of commercials. I was spellbound by her performance. She was sensational in Mr. Ripley as well. I made it through 90 seconds of "Shakespeare" before I realized I was dying of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2022 6:40 AM

Margot Tenenbaum: an iconic character, beautifully portrayed. GP has real talent

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2022 6:42 AM

Contagion is my favorite film because it fulfills a wish of mine: to watch Gwyneth Paltrow die.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2022 7:11 AM

Hey Winona r40 I miss you!!

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2022 7:52 AM

I thought she was good in her heyday. She should’ve just stuck to acting and never started the Goop stuff. One movie she never seems to get much credit for is Emma. It was a fun little film and she was perfect in it. Toni Colette was also good as the somewhat unfortunate Harriet Smith. If you haven’t ever seen it and you’re a Jane Austin fan, you’re in for a treat.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2022 8:42 AM

I think she was getting hate even before goop. She was saying things in interviews that were coming across pompous and unaware.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2022 9:10 AM

Yeah she got in trouble around 9/11 for some comments she made. Forget what she said but it was something like Americans needed to get over it like the British did. (or I may be completely wrong. She said something though that offended people.)

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2022 3:30 AM

She's excellent in Sylvia and Proof. In both, she plays a mentally ill person/character (in Sylvia, she played Sylvia Plath). Most actors go over-the-top when they play someone mentally ill, but in both cases Paltrow underplays and creates very realistic and empathetic characters.

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2022 3:42 AM

As others have said, she has a big ego and limited range. As an actress, she would have been better off sticking to off beat comedies where she's not pressured to take it seriously and her talents stick out primarily when she has a stronger lead but most of the cast are beneath her. She could have taken the Sandler route and mass produce crappy vid after crappy vid with a solid career and income. But women in Hollywood rather take those routes that bank on staying forever young and selling it to the plebs. Not to say, of course, that males aren't as emotionally arrested as women are, but they're a sight better in having a destination. Still, we can give her credit as shrewd businesswoman. But, yes, like Kidman, she requires firm direction that doesn't falter under the weight of her celebrity and better suited to supporting roles to better actors/actresses. She has a one niche (neurotic & uppity) which she does quite well but her body of films aren't that memorable for her performance, and she could easily be replaced. It's just her aesthetics and character niche works well in certain roles better than others.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2022 3:57 AM

She's perfectly adequate but lacks the ability to rise above the material.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2022 4:09 AM

What's the T regarding what really happened between her and Winona Ryder?

About her Oscar, it should have gone to that aging Brazilian actress (Fernanda Montenegro).

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2022 5:50 AM

remember when it somehow was revealed she had the lowest bone density it's possible to have

I picture her just crumbling someday like in Death Becomes Her

(and her mother used to endorse a pill for low bone density!)

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2022 6:42 AM

Not enough hate IMHO. For that vadge candle alone…

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2022 7:37 AM

I think of her as a fairly good actress, though not stellar. But there's enough hate for her as a vapid lifestyle guru/snake oil saleswoman that it's hard to keep it from spilling over to her acting career.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2022 8:07 AM

Doesn’t she owe her Oscar success to sexual predator Harvey Weinstein? I wonder what the price of that was?

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2022 8:17 AM

[quote]Her Oscar winning performance is better than Jennifer Lawrence’s and Emma Stone’s.

Not better than Melanie Griffith in Working Girl, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, Nicole Kidman in To Die For, or Saoirse Ronan in Lady Bird (all 20-somethings during filming who also won the C/M Globe like the aforementioned three).

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2022 9:08 AM

People hardly ever get the Oscar for the performance that would justify it. I think I saw that Shakespeare movie once and to me it was mediocre and boring. Goop was fine, but def not an Oscar winning performance, but the movie was successful at the box office and that got her the Oscar and since she actually did several Oscar worthy performances in previous films that hardly got any attention unless you're a movie buff, they gave it to her for Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2022 11:02 AM

I agree with R9, her Oscar win was the turning point. I saw an actress in a dress that didn’t fit and looked like she’d bought it off the rack at a strip mall bridal store, but the next day it was getting raves in the press. Her PR team went way too far and all of a sudden she was a spoiled goody-two shoes who benefited from nepotism and got treated way too well by the press (relative to other celebrities).

I think now she gets her fair share of ridicule, but during the height of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, when other women were admitting that they’d had to deal with his bullshit (and it became obvious that a LOT of actresses had gone along with it to get roles), her story was that she never did anything and her handsome husband Brad Pitt threatened him. So she made herself (a woman who was protected by family connections) look like a precious untainted princess.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2022 11:42 AM

Say what you will, she was by far the best guest stars and character overall on Glee. A little Gwyneth goes a long way, small doses are her best bet.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2022 12:23 PM

Frankly she doesn’t get enough hate. She’s an entitled, fake, Karen who got her life though nepotism. She isn’t a guru but plays one to the white women who left the cult of Oprah. She’s a mean girl with flap jack tits and questionable talent. Vagina candle? And people defend this cunt?

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2022 12:54 PM

It's our day's Marie Antoinette, vapid out of touch cunt.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2022 1:07 PM

Ripley is one of my favorite films, and she was exactly right for the part. I can’t think of anything she’s done in the past 12 years other than those Marvel movies. If she’s better than Kidman and Reese (as stated by a poster above), then why isn’t she getting those roles? She should have been Lucy? She would have been better than them in their roles in BigLittle Lies? No. People don’t like her because she’s plain, insipid with bad posture and she seems to think her beauty is on par with 18 year old Elizabeth Taylor. She literally has said over and over that people don’t like her because they are so “jealous of her beauty”. There are more beautiful girls working at the grocery store where I live.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2022 1:59 PM

Her Oscar is explainable. First the film was popular (won Best Picture and other awards.)

Cate Blanchett wasn't Cate Blanchett yet. She was a little known Aussie actress in her first high profile role in a historical drama that was a bit dull.

Fernanda Montenagra was pretty much unknown in the US and I doubt people watched the foreign film.

M was nominated for One True Thing, one of her lesser roles.

and Emily Watson was up for Hillary and Jackie another film with kind of a low profile.

Gwyneth was on a roll with Flesh and Bone, Seven, Hard Eight and Emma. It seemed like she'd go on to greatness as an actress not that crazy goop stuff.

(It's like when Cher worked so hard to get credibility then threw it all away with that hair care infomercial and the narcissistic look at my ass Turn Back Time video.)

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2022 5:14 AM

She was so good as a caricature of herself in The Politician. But you have to put up with Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2022 6:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!