Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dead Motels

I’m obsessed with this Instagram account documenting the before and after of 1950s and 1960s midcentury modern motels throughout the United States.

What’s your favorite memory of motels of yesteryear?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 12:14 PM

There was a HoJo about 20 miles from my house. It's gone now

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 3:15 AM

I remember that Dead Motels site or one like it from 20 years ago! Wow, still around. Not dead like the motels. I just find it the worst kind of nostalgia that is depressing and grim - to see corpses.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2022 3:30 AM

Wow! Our country had gotten really scuzzy

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2022 3:31 AM

I remember seeing this place in South Dakota many years ago and thought the sign was so cool looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2022 3:34 AM

When they redo something modest and pleasant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2022 3:38 AM

into something ugly and soul killing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2022 3:38 AM

I’ve told this before. Almost 40 or so years ago, I was staying at the Parliament House in Orlando. I met a guy in the bar and we went to my room. Turned out he was Batman at Sea World and I had been there that day. Anyway, we tried the “magic fingers” bed. But it would not shut off! We could not even unplug it. We laughed and had great sex all night. I still laugh about it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2022 4:01 AM

My family spent a summer in the 1970s on a cross country trip and stayed in a lot of motels. My dad would announce the town we would be stopping at and we would search the AAA guidebook to pick out a motel. It had to have a pool and A/C. I remember one Best Western that had royal blue satin bedspreads that I thought was the most elegant thing I ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 4:12 AM

Ive always had a fascination for tawdry motels but I've never had sex in one. I like the idea of a guy pulling up in his pickup, parking it right outside my motel room, and then coming in and fucking my brains out.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 7:42 AM

Ive always had a fascination for tawdry motels but I've never had sex in one. I like the idea of a guy pulling up in his pickup, parking it right outside my motel room, and then coming in and fucking my brains out.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2022 7:42 AM

For R10 What a pity. Are you too old to realize your fantasy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2022 10:21 AM

Twenty years ago there were a string of motels on PCH between Redondo Beach and Long Beach that were utterly fascinating, I doubt many of them exist anymore. I did photograph a few, but wish I would have documented them better.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2022 11:10 AM

living the fantasy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2022 11:28 AM

Wildwood owns this thread

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2022 11:52 AM

Traveling by car and checking into roadside motels was a very dicey proposition in the late 1950s. You simply didn't know what to expect in terms of cleanliness and sanitation. Holiday Inns changed that, and travelers could be assured that the Holiday Inn in Amarillo, Texas had the same standards as the one in Flagstaff, AZ.

We traveled every summer from 1958 to 1966, and Holiday Inns were great. But my dad had a $20/night cut off point, and if the Holiday Inn exceeded that limit, he'd go elsewhere. There was no shortage of competitors, either, as Ramada Inns, Rodeway Inns, Travelodge and HoJo's were all going after the same demographic.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2022 12:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!