Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Buy Nothing Project

So there's this little movement called Buy Nothing, and the idea is to create a 'gift economy' where within the group, things are only given for free and taken, and there is no commerce.

It relies on Facebook groups to function. You go to the Buy Nothing website and entire your zip code, and you'll be given a Facebook group to join in your neighborhood. Each "Buy Nothing Group" on Facebook then operates pretty much independently, with the help of rotating volunteer moderators from the group.

Then, members can post 3 different types of posts:

1. GIVE - A "give" post is just that. You are offering an item completely for free. There is no expectation that the item be of a certain quality, but generally speaking, people offer items that are in working order and in decent reusable shape - otherwise what's the point. Most people simply leave the item on their porch to be picked up within a certain window of time.

2. ASK - if there's something you need, you can simply ask for it. Post that you need a single 60 watt old-school light bulb and someone will definitely have one or something very close. Post that you need old sheets for a craft project, and you'll get old sheets in spades. There aren't quite as many of the "ask" posts as there are gives.

3. GRATITUDE - you can post to thank someone for a great "give" or something else they did for you. These are much more rare, but they are allowed.

I highly recommend it. I've gotten a fantastic almost-new microwave when I would've gone out and bought one, an area rug that I absolutely love, and a little chopper thing I use in the kitchen all the time. I've given away much more because there are people in need in every neighborhood, and it feels great to give a specific thing to someone who can use it. I see women giving away fabulous bags and accessories and such. Car batteries. Cute vintage lawn chairs. You name it.

There are threads all the time about saving money and making things go further, etc. Try Buy Nothing as a way to bypass the Big Box/Amazon economy when you can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote] Post that you need old sheets for a craft project, and you'll get old sheets in spades.

4. GET: bedbugs.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2022 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!