Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays: Explain/Discuss "Mama" Cass Elliot

Aside from the band name, why would they market a woman in her late 20s as "Mama" anything?

From what I've been told, Cass Elliot was a talented singer and a colorful person who was surely wounded by the constant fat jokes. She tried to headline a show in Vegas in 1968, but it was a bomb. Then she died at the age of 32, and spawned decades of cruel urban legends about the cause of her death.

She seems lovely to me, and someone The Gays should speak of more often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 10, 2023 11:03 PM

Loved her in PufNStuf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 7:54 PM

A ham sandwich ate her, and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 7:56 PM

She had an awesome voice

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 7:57 PM

She did seem like a lovely person from all accounts.

She was a single mom with a daughter of 6 or 7 when she died. Her daughter later wrote the liner notes to a compilation CD.

Link below is to a piece of "special material" in which she reclaims her identity; she's not a Mama anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 8:03 PM

Reportedly, she was a great hostess and held frequent parties at her house in Laurel Canyon. Her guests were many of the up and coming music stars of the late 1960s as well as some of the young actors of the day.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 8:03 PM

Despite Michelle Phillips being the hot girl in the group, Mama Cass was most definitely the star of The Mamas and The Papas and with the biggest voice and charming personality. After the group split up she made a few solo albums that are quite good but are less countercultural than the Mamas and Papas and a little more in line with the singer songwriter scene of the early 70’s, singing songs by the likes of Randy Newman, Laura Nyro, etc. She even did a television special in 1973 that had songs from Pippin, a cover of Wings’ My Love, and a few assorted torch songs/show tunes. She also was a guest on the Julie Andrews Show and Carol Burnett. She was managed by the late great Allan Carr in the early 70’s; if you don’t know who he is, he was a flamboyant caftan wearing elder gay responsible for producing Grease and Can’t Stop The Music. Bruce Vilanch said that Cass and Allan were like sisters together, so she was absolutely a friend of the gays.

Another fun fact, Cass was considered for the role of Miss Marmelstein in I Can Get It For You Wholesale in the early 60’s but the role ended up going to another up and coming talent named Barbra Joan Streisand. But that goes to show that Cass was a versatile singing talent who was comfortable doing Broadway and rock and roll. Her death was truly tragic, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 8:04 PM

Tales of times past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 8:04 PM

I same this without any jest: I would love Chissy Metz to play her in a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 8:05 PM

Reportedly, she was a great hostess

Hostess?

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 8:05 PM

I've said it before, I say it again: It's SO sad she died so young, because she was meant to be a talk-show host. A good one, because she was smart.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 8:12 PM

Didn't she host some of the wildest parties at her Hollywood Hills home during the '60s?

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 8:16 PM

David Crosby brought Joni Mitchell to a party at Cass Elliott's house in Laurel Canyon in 1968. There, Eric Clapton met Joni for the first time. Photographer Henry Diltz captured that moment.

That's Mama Cass' baby daughter in the foreground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 8:18 PM

Whatta song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 8:18 PM

She was SPOOKED by the Manson murders, before they knew it was Manson. A drug dealer was living with her, known to have dealt up at Ciello many, many times. And also dealt at Cass' parties. In the days following the murders, this dealer was considered a prime suspect. He was questioned many times by the police, and Cass was worried sick he might tell of dealing drugs out of her house, and to her, and that the press would get hold of it, and she'd be arrested.

The tapes of this dealer being I interviewed by the police are fascinating. He DOES spill the beans, talks about providing drugs to Cass, and her giving them to friends. But, it's clear the police don't care, and are well aware this goes on everywhere in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 8:27 PM

The wonderful gay coming-of-age comedy BEAUTIFUL THING uses Mama Cass songs as its soundtrack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 8:31 PM

[quote]Aside from the band name, why would they market a woman in her late 20s as "Mama" anything?

The group was the MAMA'S and the PAPA's. He was called Papa John, and Mama Michelle and Papa Denny, and Mama Cass in the trade papers. When Michelle was booted out briefly they reported a NEW MAMA called Mama Jill Gibson, the one month mama

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 8:49 PM

She was a real pioneer. She even posed nude fat as she was. A movie about her life would be fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote]The group was the MAMA'S and the PAPA's.

Oh, dear! The Mama's and the Papa's what?

The group was the Mamas and the Papas.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 9:06 PM

She would be considered just about "average" size in today's world.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 9:20 PM

[quote]Oh, dear! The Mama's and the Papa's what?

In Southern California, there's a Big Mama's and Papa's Pizzeria chain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 9:24 PM

The ham sandwich was innocent. She died of heart failure.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 10:13 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 10:35 PM

And this too:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 10:36 PM

Just don't let Beanie F. play her in the Ryan Murphy miniseries.

FUCK. That means of course she will. I blame myself for putting the idea out there.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 2:25 PM

About a year ago, I went on a Mamas & Papas and papas kick.

Watched YouTube clips, bought their greatest hits, read a lot of stuff. The whole group was fascinating. But, Cass was the most fascinating.

She was a wonderful talk show host and was very smart. She used a lot of uppers to keep her weight in check, which I wonder what caused the fatal heart attack .

My favorite songs are Twelve Thirty (used perfected in “Once upon a time” ). and Creeque Alley.

And I believed all of Hollywood was spooked by the Manson murders. Two great documentaries are on Epix: Laurel Canyon and Helter Shelter: an American Myth about that time in America

I was just a child doing this time (late 60s), but find that time period in America fascinating

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 2:40 PM

Aidy Bryant, I mean Come On!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 14, 2022 7:25 AM

She was reputed to be sexually voracious.

by Anonymousreply 27February 14, 2022 7:29 AM

That sandwich wouldn't stand a chance with me.

by Anonymousreply 28February 14, 2022 7:34 AM

GOALS!

by Anonymousreply 29February 14, 2022 7:41 AM

How could a show in vegas bomb? Those showrooms were tiny. Probably only a few hundred seats back then....

by Anonymousreply 30February 14, 2022 8:04 AM

I think she was best utilised in a group setting. Her nasality could get overbearing.

by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2022 8:05 AM

[Quote] How could a show in vegas bomb?

How big was the orchestra? How many dancing boys?

by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2022 8:06 AM

r25: Do you know the multi-episode "Charles Manson's Hollywood" on the You Must Remember This podcast?

It's essential and thoroughly gripping listening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2022 8:36 AM

In that R23 clip big mistake giving Carol the lead singing. And poor Cass does not look well.

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2022 8:42 AM

If Cass Elliot had only given that ham sandwich to Karen Carpenter they'd both be alive today...

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2022 8:52 AM

R33 The host of that podcast is an insufferable cunt. I know this firsthand.

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2022 8:55 AM

r36: How is she insufferable?

She may be a horror, but her podcast is very good. Her season devoted to "Six Degrees of 'Song of the South'" is probably the best of them.

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2022 9:00 AM

This is a great song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2022 9:13 AM

I KNEW I ALWAYS LOVED YOU GUYS! Even as an elder gay (58), I wish I could go back in time and be in the same room as Mama Cass. She wouldn’t have to sign anything or even sing, but I’d take in a deep breath in believing that I’d just enjoyed the most rarified air. Mama Cass was so earthy and sensuous! If I were a straight male at the time, I might have even been a chubby chaser. Imagine that!

by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2022 9:37 AM

^ "If I were a straight male at the time, I might have even been a chubby chaser. Imagine that! "

I'd rather not... ew

by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2022 9:43 AM

She wouldn’t have to SING! Fucking autocorrect. FUCKITY FUCK FUCK it.

by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2022 9:50 AM

R35, my best friend in the whole world says that line all the time, and it made me smile reading you saying it and being reminded of him.

Listening to "Creeque Alley" always makes me think: "Geez, she's a good sport about all those fat references!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 14, 2022 10:25 AM

Mmm... A sandwich!

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2022 10:28 AM

[quote] I was just a child doing this time (late 60s),

What’d ya get locked up for?

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2022 11:37 AM

She was a real pioneer, one of the first celebs to have a child out of wedlock. Plus posing nude fat as she was took guts.

by Anonymousreply 45February 14, 2022 12:14 PM

Was Joan Crawford not single when she adopted?

by Anonymousreply 46February 14, 2022 12:20 PM

^ Joan didn't fuck out of wedlock to get her kids. Big difference

by Anonymousreply 47February 14, 2022 12:25 PM

I went through a hardcore Cass Elliot/M&P stage and read much about her and the group’s history. I even went by the building where she died in Mayfair in London. No there’s not a plaque or shrine ad ai didn’t leave a ha, sandwich. As much as I love Cass, the more I listened to the Mamas & the Papas, the more I realised Denny Doherty was equally if not more talented, yet he is most under appreciated member of the group. He has lead vocals in both ‘California Dreamin’ and’ Monday, Monday’, and Cass had unrequited love for him for years. Most people can’t even name him though. My fave songs are ‘Twelve Thirty’ with its great harmonies and ‘Creeque Alley’. Cass didn’t really plan to go to Swarthmore though, it just rhymed for the song.

by Anonymousreply 48February 14, 2022 12:38 PM

Self oh dear, Mary, etc. ‘and I didn’t leave a ham sandwich.’

by Anonymousreply 49February 14, 2022 12:41 PM

Keith Moon died in the same apartment that she did.

by Anonymousreply 50February 14, 2022 12:54 PM

^Ham sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 51February 14, 2022 1:03 PM

Wasn't it homophobe Harry Nilsson's place?

by Anonymousreply 52February 14, 2022 1:07 PM

She was very jealous of how talented Janis Joplin was.

by Anonymousreply 53February 14, 2022 1:08 PM

"Keith Moon died in the same apartment that she did. "

"^Ham sandwich? "

No, Moon Pie

by Anonymousreply 54February 14, 2022 1:41 PM

R52, was Nilsson a homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 55February 14, 2022 1:43 PM

If you go Google street views and search 1 Curzon Square, London W1J, you can see the place where she died. It had a different address then because the main building entrance has been changed from what I read.

by Anonymousreply 56February 14, 2022 2:05 PM

She wore beautiful custom made caftans and died from extreme dieting. She was described as the Gertrude Stein of Laurel Canyon, she was very warm, intelligent, supportive and great company. I love you, mama cass!

by Anonymousreply 57February 14, 2022 2:21 PM

She does work better in the group than solo. And she could blow Michelle Philips off stage vocally any day. Jesus, *I* could blow Michelle Philips off stage and I can't sing to save my life.

R13 has already posted my favourite solo Cass song - California Earthquake - one of the finest records ever made.

by Anonymousreply 58February 14, 2022 2:29 PM

I love her "Make Your Own Kind of Music." It is like the anthem of being yourself. I've always thought it would've made a great tv theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 14, 2022 2:40 PM

So... Cass and Michelle came up with the name "The Mamas & the Papas" after they saw a bunch of motorcyclists who referred to themselves as the Papas. But though each of them were indeed called "Papa John," "Mama Michelle," and "Papa Denny," "Mama Cass" stuck much more with her because of her weight. She grew to dislike it when she was breaking off from the rest of the band, and asked after she left she be referred to professionally only as "Cass Elliot."

Equally, she disliked having to sing "Creeque Alley" because of the "No one's getting fat except Mama Cass." Originally she bought John's explanation that by the end of the song, "EVERYONE'S getting fat except Mama Cass," but she still had to humiliate herself every time they sang the song in public, and she grew really unhappy having to sing it.

What was even harder for her was that the writers for her TV appearances on variety shows like Carol Burnett wanted her to do endless jokes about her eating and her fatness. She would try to push back but they would accuse her of being difficult, so usually she just gave in. One time she did not was for her scene in "H.R. Pufnstuf" and she's on the phone with Witchiepoo, and she's in a bathtub filled with fruit--originally the writers wanted it filled with candy, and she didn't want to do it that way, so she asked if they could substitute fruit instead.

It was a completely different era regarding how people talked about obesity.

by Anonymousreply 60February 14, 2022 2:53 PM

R36 Do tell! I know her boyfriend is that Rian Johnson. While I enjoy her podcast, I recognize that her woke, SJW perspective can get tiring. You can't put the standards of today on the behaviors of the past.

by Anonymousreply 61February 14, 2022 3:03 PM

I've been a Cass Elliot fan my whole life. She had a tremendous voice, and could sing in any style. On talk shows she was funny and intelligent, and very down to earth. Generation after generation rediscovers her, and her music. Has she lived longer she would surely be up there in the Pantheon of all-time greats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 14, 2022 3:14 PM

She also made an appearance in Scooby Doo - owning a sweet factory or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2022 4:13 PM

Cass did bomb in Vegas, but made a triumphant return in 1972 at the Flamingo Hotel. I was there.

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2022 4:42 PM

Once and for all...The ham sandwich story is a cruel joke and not true. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2022 5:12 PM

^ Just sayin'...

"Death was ruled accidental at a coroner’s hearing the next day; the post-mortem showed that she died as a result of choking on a sandwich while in bed and from inhaling her own vomit. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2022 5:38 PM

Equal time...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2022 5:39 PM

Her obesity directly contributed to her death...

"One of Britain’s leading forensic pathologists at that time said that the autopsy showed Elliot ” …had a heart problem leading to heart failure; there was no sandwich or any other item lodged in her throat or trachea; and she had had very little to eat the day before she died”. A routine drug screening showed no drugs were in her system. The official cause of death was: “Heart failure due to fatty myocardial degeneration due to obesity”.

So, although that one ham sandwich didn't kill her too many over a lifetime did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2022 5:47 PM

She was before my time but my mom loved her, and The Mamas & The Papas. I did grow to like one song by her after I saw the British film Beautiful Thing. There's a lovely scene of two young gay boys are discovering their newfound love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 14, 2022 5:52 PM

One of my all-time favorite duets, with a great “get out the vote” message.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 14, 2022 5:55 PM

One of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 14, 2022 6:10 PM

Cass bombed in Las Vegas because she was under the influence and having a reaction, maybe an overdose.

They may have been marketed as Papa John etc, but the ONLY member people used it for was Cass - "Mama Cass." The others were called Deny, John and Michelle. By people I mean the average teen fan.

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2022 6:15 PM

Who was her babydaddy?

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2022 6:21 PM

Always loved her, and I liked this song from the trashy 1971 film, “Doctors’ Wives”. YouTube claims it’s from the original soundtrack, but I recall a different version in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2022 6:31 PM

Terrific R59.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2022 6:33 PM

Besides her numerous variety show appearances, she also guested on late-60/early-70s perennial, “Love American Style”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2022 6:34 PM

I like this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2022 6:42 PM

She seemed to have a beautiful spirit and LOVED to partay !

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2022 6:51 PM

Love the clips of the mamas and the papas performing California freakin’ at the Monterey festival with I think Nico and Brian Jones dancing in the audience. Like a time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2022 7:04 PM

California dreamin*

by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2022 7:04 PM

The constant yo-yo dieting and drug abuse damaged her heart and likely caused her death. No wonder she was obsessed over her weight considering how much shit she took for it. John Phillips, in particular, was incredibly cruel to her. He never wanted her in his group to begin with and never let up with the nasty comments. He really was a shitty human being.

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2022 7:11 PM

R81 Didn't he rape his daughter for years? Or was that a different Phillips?

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2022 7:16 PM

I adore her voice. It's a shame she died so young, she would have had so much fun as she aged and made aging more fun for others around her.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2022 7:30 PM

Didn't she die suckin' on a ham hock bone or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2022 7:37 PM

Another great song from the most fantastic lady of the "now" sound, the inimitable Miss Mama Cass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2022 7:38 PM

I didn't until recent years that Dream a Little Dream of Me was first recorded in the '30s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 14, 2022 7:41 PM

^know

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2022 8:21 PM

She was a fat.

by Anonymousreply 88February 14, 2022 8:40 PM

R82 That is what his daughter claimed.

by Anonymousreply 89February 14, 2022 8:51 PM

R82 it was consensual.

by Anonymousreply 90February 14, 2022 9:23 PM

R26 Aidy Bryant has none of the charm or talent that Mama Cass had

Zilch, nada, zero

by Anonymousreply 91February 14, 2022 9:43 PM

This version is pretty phenomenal as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 14, 2022 10:26 PM

I know it's a function of being an eldergay, but I really do miss the variety shows wherein vocalists would just sing -- no pyrotechnics, no drama, no flair, no pointless production values that add nothing. Pure, drama-free singing by people who have the chops and can sell a song. Perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 14, 2022 10:43 PM

That shorter shag hairdo does her no favors.

by Anonymousreply 94February 14, 2022 10:48 PM

Oddly enough, this popped up on my YouTube today. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 15, 2022 3:11 AM

R95, there's nothing odd about it. Your every keystroke is monitored and merched.

by Anonymousreply 96February 15, 2022 3:49 AM

I made it to exactly four seconds of that youtube piece of shite before I closed the screen. The hostess cupcake is past her expiry date and belongs in a central Chinese landfill.

by Anonymousreply 97February 15, 2022 3:51 AM

Cass told [italic]Rolling Stone[/italic] what is now acknowledged as a all tale regarding how she joined the group. . She claimed that John Phillips resisted bringing her on board because he didn't think she had enough vocal range. Then, after she supposedly suffered a concussion in a freak accident, she miraculously gained the ability to hit notes that she couldn't hit before.

The real story, however, was that Phillips didn't want her in the group because he thought she was too fat. To let Cass save face and keep him from looking like an asshole, they agreed on the concussion story as the "official" explanation for how she finally got in.

by Anonymousreply 98February 15, 2022 3:56 AM

I'll watch the video at R95 later, but does anyone know if Mama Cass' daughter also sings or got into music at all? Obviously, Chynna Phillips did, but I didn't realize Cass had a daughter around the same age as her.

by Anonymousreply 99February 15, 2022 3:57 AM

There are two clips on YouTube of her singing with Wilson Phillips. She's good, but clearly doesn't like the limelight.

by Anonymousreply 100February 15, 2022 4:08 AM

I preferred Cass's folk song era. The lady's voice had power

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 15, 2022 4:34 AM

Too bad Chynna Phillips mutated into sort of an annoying God-botherer, but consider her parents and upbringing. I enjoyed seeing Cass's daughter Owen in R95's clip, though. Her speaking voice sure sounds like her mom's.

by Anonymousreply 102February 15, 2022 7:36 AM

Cass's sister, Leah Kunkel, did a lot of session vocals.

by Anonymousreply 103February 15, 2022 10:29 AM

Leah was one of the Coyote Sisters...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 15, 2022 3:36 PM

Did Leah Kunkel always sing in that deadpan style?

by Anonymousreply 105February 15, 2022 3:43 PM

Coyote Sister Renee Armand sang the movie version of "The Morning After."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 15, 2022 3:46 PM

When I was just a gayling, I got to see Cass perform her nightclub act at Mister Kelly's in Chicago (the act that was recorded for the "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore" LP). Even though she had recently taken a spill and was hobbling around on a cane, she put on a hell of a show. She was charming, self-effacing and funny, with material that ranged from her hits to 40s numbers to more rock-styled material. She had an instant rapport with the audience, even with the drunken businessmen who were there on their expense accounts. She kindly autographed an album I brought (the self-titled one with the George Hurrell cover photo). I still have it, and treasure it.

by Anonymousreply 107February 15, 2022 3:52 PM

The good times are coming...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 15, 2022 4:39 PM

DL favorite Julia Phillips who wrote "You Will Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again" wrote that she loved her some Cass even though Julia claimed to have a natural aversion to fat people. She wrote about the two of them looking to find their friends, Jennifer Salt and her roommate Margot Kidder (according to Julia a sex beast.) on a beach somewhere and they spotted them in the distance and started to walk towards them all the while yelling hello at them. Apparently, Margot and Jennifer yelled back and called them out by their names, even though they were still quite a distance away. Julia writes that Cass turned to her and deadpanned: "Gee, I wonder how they knew it was us!"

Cass had a blank wall in her home that guests would write little things on during a party. The first thing written that started the whole writing on the wall thing was: "Who is Chuck Barris and why is he saying all those things about me?" (Or something like that.)

by Anonymousreply 109February 15, 2022 5:09 PM

[quote] who was surely wounded by the constant fat jokes

As long as it didn't keep her from getting lots of hot young dick...

by Anonymousreply 110February 15, 2022 5:18 PM

Her solo music is mostly a miss.

by Anonymousreply 111February 15, 2022 10:15 PM

R109, Barris produced her TV special and the story was that she once wrote "When is Chuck Barris coming" when he stood her up for a date. Barris is a liar but I believe him when he says he thought he was in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 112February 15, 2022 11:02 PM

R112 Barris was fucking crazy, but I could see him or anyone falling in love with her. I think we've all known a heavy person who is just so fucking fun that their personality allows them access to sex with people who normally wouldn't look twice at them. The problem is that isn't true of every or maybe even most fat people.

by Anonymousreply 113February 15, 2022 11:46 PM

A mystery guest on the syndicated WML.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 15, 2022 11:49 PM

She's my best friend in my head even though we weren't even on this planet at the same time. I just know we'd have gotten along famously!

by Anonymousreply 115February 16, 2022 12:09 AM

PS. I hope to meet her in heaven, even though I don't believe in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 116February 16, 2022 12:11 AM

Miss Elliott, your appointment with R115 is at 3:30.

by Anonymousreply 117February 16, 2022 12:15 AM

OP she was very big in the 60s

by Anonymousreply 118February 16, 2022 12:17 AM

That was fun, R114, thanks for sharing! Was a kick to see Mama Cass on “What’s My Line” — and Anita Gillette was cute, too!

by Anonymousreply 119February 16, 2022 1:34 AM

She looks like Divine.

by Anonymousreply 120February 16, 2022 2:26 AM

I'm watching Beautiful Thing right now thanks to this thread! This thread altered the course of my life!

by Anonymousreply 121February 16, 2022 4:46 AM

Was surprised that Arlene Francis didn’t trot out her usual question about being in “the legitimate theater”!

by Anonymousreply 122February 16, 2022 11:49 AM

Good article!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 16, 2022 12:59 PM

Cass Elliot is a great example of how fame can be the worst thing that happens to a person.

Recommended reading:

Dream a Little Dream of Me: The Life of Cass Elliot by Eddi Fiegel

Go Where You Wanna Go: The Oral History of The Mamas and The Papas by Matthew Greenwald

by Anonymousreply 124February 17, 2022 1:37 PM

She lived more life in those 32 years than most ever will.

by Anonymousreply 125February 17, 2022 1:47 PM

Worst thing how? She was fat before she was famous.

by Anonymousreply 126February 17, 2022 1:55 PM

If she’d lived she would’ve gone the route of Adele Cadaver, sickly and unhealthy thin with a ton of maquillage.

by Anonymousreply 127February 17, 2022 1:59 PM

sang this song as a kid in choir, never knew she started it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 17, 2022 2:08 PM

Wall E used Make Your Own Kind of Music popular again and Lost also used it.

by Anonymousreply 129February 17, 2022 4:07 PM

Cass Elliot is on this episode of “Match Game”, otherwise known for Brett Somer’s charming use of “Fag” as an answer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130February 17, 2022 6:51 PM

[quote] I went through a hardcore Cass Elliot/M&P stage and read much about her and the group’s history.

Any book recommendations? I love biographies.

And thank you, Recommended Reading Troll. Your work does not go unnoticed.

by Anonymousreply 131February 23, 2022 5:11 PM

R130 Dig that porno guitar music!

by Anonymousreply 132February 23, 2022 7:16 PM

It's been said she had an IQ of 160. Having seen her in interviews, color me dubious. She does seem to have had above average intelligence, but not in that range.

by Anonymousreply 133February 23, 2022 8:48 PM

She'd be considered quite slim by todays standards.

by Anonymousreply 134February 25, 2022 7:41 AM

Cass got a star on the walk of fame this week. Michelle Phillips gave a speech. Michelle looked good, ironically she’d put on some weight in recent years, but now looks nice and slim again. Some photos here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 5, 2022 2:27 AM

That’s awesome, but I can’t believe they included Mama on it. She didn’t like being called that.

by Anonymousreply 136October 5, 2022 3:18 AM

They put mama in quotes. I would hope they consulted with daughter Owen and the family and friends about it.

by Anonymousreply 137October 5, 2022 3:22 AM

So Mackenzie is back in the fold? She looks like an older Emma Stone in the photo,

by Anonymousreply 138October 5, 2022 4:31 AM

R23 Why didn't Carol Burnett have a friend who could tell her she had a terrible singing voice?

by Anonymousreply 139October 5, 2022 4:45 AM

Her life would make a good mini series. Who would DL nominate to play her?

by Anonymousreply 140October 5, 2022 5:35 AM

IS that MacKenzie? If so, I'm happy they've mended fences. I know it was painful for her.

by Anonymousreply 141October 5, 2022 7:15 AM

[quote]Oh, dear! The Mama's and the Papa's what? The group was the Mamas and the Papas.

On some album covers, yes. But at least one had the group's name with apostrophes on it. It's the one where they're all sitting in the bathtub. It's seen in Echo in the Canyon while Michelle talks about how she was boning Danny, then John wrote "Go Where You Wanna Go" about her.

by Anonymousreply 142October 5, 2022 7:30 AM

[quote]OP she was very big in the 60s

She was very big for most of her life.

by Anonymousreply 143October 5, 2022 7:33 AM

r136, everyone at the Hollywood Walk of fame ceremony was calling her "Mama" Cass.

by Anonymousreply 144October 5, 2022 9:15 AM

Love love love TMATP and love Cass. This is a favorite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 5, 2022 1:47 PM

Bump for original thread.

by Anonymousreply 146September 9, 2023 9:02 PM

Was she a great big fat person?

by Anonymousreply 147September 9, 2023 9:06 PM

R147 = Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb

by Anonymousreply 148September 9, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote] Reportedly, she thought Hostess was great

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 149September 9, 2023 9:18 PM

Thanks for starting the thread OP. Looking forward to what others have to say.

by Anonymousreply 150September 9, 2023 9:53 PM

Her boyfriend Pic Dawson was an international drug dealer. He was related to someone in the state Department, so he couldn’t get/stay arrested in the US. The Mamas and Papas were busted in the UK when their ship docked in Southampton. The US & UK were hoping they could catch Dawson with drugs outside of US territor6 but alas, it didn’t work out.

Her career really wasn’t that great after Mamas and Papas because Cass Elliot was always a musical theater girl and musical theater was dying. So she joined the roster of famous females who were acceded by middle class housewives. Carol Burnett, Cher, Julie Andrews…they’d all had their day. Cass was trying to become one of them but the musical variety show was also dying.

Cass had lucked out becoming a counterculture star but more than anything she wanted to be a middle of-the-road tv star.

by Anonymousreply 151September 9, 2023 10:48 PM

acceded

accepted

by Anonymousreply 152September 9, 2023 10:51 PM

I've watched a few of her interviews (Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas, etc) and she seemed like a very intelligent person with a great personality. Gone too soon.

by Anonymousreply 153September 9, 2023 10:52 PM

Pic Dawson was briefly a suspect in the Tate murders as “PIG” was written in Tate’s blood on the front door of Cielo Drive and one theory was that it wasn’t “PIG” but “PIC” - not easy getting your penmanship right when writing in blood.

by Anonymousreply 154September 9, 2023 11:05 PM

Was it Pic and his Canadian drug dealer partner who were sodomized by Sebring and Frykowski at the Tate house? It was filmed. Another thing Bugliosi toned down so much in Helter Skelter that it barely registered.

by Anonymousreply 155September 9, 2023 11:24 PM

It was Billy Doyle who got sodomized..

I didn’t know Bijou Philips was taken away from her parents because they were whacked out on drugs and she was sent to live in NY. Now she’s married to a rapist. Oh god…

by Anonymousreply 156September 9, 2023 11:57 PM

Interesting thread. She was known to be heavy into food and drugs. The Chuck Barris story referenced above was told in his autobiography (not the one where he called himself a CIA agent). He said when he produced her TV special, he thought he was in love with her. He said she was always right by his side fighting for everything. He said she was also sweat really badly. He would have his arm around her waist and it would be totally wet. She asked him if he would have loved her if she was skinny. After the pilot was finished, she gave him some laced brownies and he passed out on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 157September 9, 2023 11:58 PM

In case R70's link doesn't work, here's what he was talking about. Great duet of John Denver and Cass Elliot singing "Leaving on a Jet Plane," with a "get out and vote" message beforehand.

I think I would have loved living in the1960s and '70s when things were changing for good instead of the other way around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 10, 2023 12:36 AM

Chuck Barris was no gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 159September 10, 2023 11:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!