Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Name the Biggest Eyesore in this Lovely Old Dallas Home

Is it the overdone Americana? The non-vintage vintage stove? The Malaise-era sticky countertops? Or the Stoplight Red bedspread that seems to shout "PUT AWAY YOUR GENITALS IN THIS HOUSE!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 1:33 AM

I used to like the color red...not after view this.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 7:43 PM

I can't pick one thing. I just have the urge to sweep my arm over every surface and break lots of red junk.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 7:45 PM

For me its the downlight in the laundry that has come loose from the ceiling and is making a bid for freedom... the countertops in the kitchen are pretty .... special though, in fact that whole kitchen appears to date from around 1982. The shrine to Coca-Cola in the living room also does not appeal, but that like all the other stuff in that house is the previous owners stuff and will be gone when they go.

It'd be interesting to see what this place looks like empty. The house itself looks quite pleasant, and the roof and gaslines have recently been done, so I'd imagine its mostly cosmetic work thats needed apart from the kitchen, which I could live with

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 7:46 PM

Oh man, this house is smack dab in the middle of Swiss Ave/Munger Place. One of the worst crime ridden areas in Dallas. It's too bad that area is so awful, because there are a lot of nice old mansions there. Dallas real estate is expensive these days, and for that house to be at that listing price tells you all you need to know. It's been on the market for a while, because anyone who has live here long enough, can tell you to avoid that area like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 7:49 PM

Those Flintstones chunky piers supporting the front porch?

The hideous compressed oval glass panel in the front door?

The faded salmon-orange wall-to-wall carpet?

The speckled monkey shit Formica countertops in the kitchen?

The criminally low ceilings?

The Lowe's 2 for $79 ceiling fan/lights?

The enchanting Karen Black doll collection?

No. My vote is for the shittiest open floor plan I've seen in a long time, a big square donut of ugliness around a stair and a kitchen, walls removed everywhere (the scars hidden by that salmon-orange carpet.) You could stand in one spot and in a slow rotation count 8, 10,maybe 2 or more window shapes and sizes all in one big ugly as fuck room.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 7:50 PM

The neighborhood was tony back in the 40s, but now it's all taco stands and "Supermercado" stores, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 7:51 PM

R5 Call yourself "Lee Harvey and the CIA," because you just killed in Dallas!

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 7:54 PM

Needs more 'Murican flags. Yeeeee Haaawww!! Pew pew!

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote]One of the worst crime ridden areas in Dallas.

Oh. Forget it then, fuck that noise. Shame because in a decent area it'd be worth fixing

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 8:47 PM

R9 There are a lot of "active shooter on foot" and "street racing" calls on the police scanner for that area.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 8:56 PM

R10 the "street racing" I could live with, might provide some fun night time entertainment. And I used to indulge in a bit of that myself when I was younger, so I wouldnt be completely put off. "Active shooters on foot" though, hell no!

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 10:38 PM

There has to be a MAGA hat in there somewhere, but who the hell could see it with all that red?

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 10:43 PM

Is the kitchen… carpeted?!

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 10:54 PM

Why are the ceilings so low ??? Was that just the photographer ? So many things seem off scale . I hate Texas so thats a deal breaker anyway,but that house is fucked up due to remodeling over and over.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 11:35 PM

Pretty much everything is consistently bland, perhaps the most offensive is the red bathroom countertop.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 11:40 PM

Blech. Where do you start? The dreadful clutter? The mish-mash of boring furniture? The horrid stuff on the walls that is supposed to pass for artwork?

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 11:58 PM

Pfft. Not even one Texan flag.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 12:07 AM

I’ll see all of the above, and raise you the supremely irritating white-person-southwestern watercolors in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 12:18 AM

Many of the houses on Swiss Avenue and adjacent streets are lovely (this one needs work) but they are surrounded by a truly dire neighborhood. It’s a shame.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 12:23 AM

Do the bongo drums come with the house?

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 12:26 AM

Even through the 1980s, Swiss Avenue (not so much any adjacent streets) was considered one of THE streets to live on for successful, aspirational Dallasites. But the neighborhood was changing by then. Sad to hear of its current state.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 12:34 AM

That pink bathroom is pretty awful. But I think they should be put in jail for their use of the American flag. Clearly the people who live here are trash

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 1:24 AM

I always wondered who decorated their house like a Cracker Barrel

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 1:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!