Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nora Ephron and Carrie Fisher: Did they know each other?

I just watched the new HBO Documentary about Nora Ephron. I'm a huge fan and have read almost all of her books. It was a good documentary.

I had watched the HBO Documentary about Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, and also read a recent biography of Carrie, along with most of her books.

Now, you would think they probably encountered each other along the way, starting with 1950s Hollywood when they both grew up in Beverly Hills. They were both big media stars in the 1970s and 1980s, and ran in some of the same circles in Hollywood and New York. So, why did I never read of any encounter between them?

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2022 7:07 PM

Ephron was homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 7:19 PM

They almost certainly knew each other, having grown up in the same circle and having worked together on a few pictures over the years.

Considering how low-key cunty they both were to most people, it's hard to guess if they were good friends or saucy rivals/frenemies. The genius and frustration of women like Carrie Fisher, Nora Ephron, Kim Cattrall, Debra Winger, and a few others is that they were always "on." They were always sharp-tongued, tired, and bitchy, even with their friends.

Beverly D'Angelo claims to have been best friends with Carrie Fisher, bonding over mutual exes and their sloppy careers.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 7:22 PM

R1

Does her son know?

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 7:30 PM

Her son is not Zac Efron, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 7:33 PM

The Ephron sisters were talentless hacks who made unfunny shit movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 7:38 PM

Unless you are being funny, her son Jacob Bernstein, a writer, is gay.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 7:38 PM

R5 The only saving grace of that movie was Madeline Kahn. But she stole every film she ever made.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 7:40 PM

Nora Ephron helped write When Harry Met Sally, which Carrie Fisher co-starred in as the best friend, so they had to have met through that, at least.

Carrie’s character has a lot of very Nora lines, my favorite being: “the right man for you might be out there right now, and if you don’t grab him, someone else will, and you’ll have to spend the rest of your life knowing someone else is married to YOUR husband!”

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 7:48 PM

“She [Ephron] was f–in’ alert; she was on her game. She was on mine, too; she was on everybody’s game. She was alert to everything you were saying and what you weren’t saying. She believed in herself. She knew what was funny. She knew the bottom line of stuff. Her writing was clear; there was no gristle. She wasn’t really fun, like, ‘Let’s go, Skippy.’ She was someone who said what she meant. That’s fun for me but not everybody. It’s exhausting. But you’d want to meet her in a restaurant in New York, and when she’d speak with you, you’d lean in like it was a fire, to warm yourself by the fire of her personality.” — Carrie Fisher

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 7:54 PM

R9 Meanwhile, the rest of us learned early on never to "lean in" when YOU were speaking, unless we wanted to be sprayed with B-52 droplets and bits of Percodan!

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 7:57 PM

Carrie Fisher was in Nora Ephron's directorial debut This is My Life with Julie Kavner and Samantha Mathis.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 7:58 PM

Nora didn’t exactly spend her life feeding the poor. She mostly just lived a bougie life and complained about things. Her whole schtick is dated.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 7:59 PM

She was the definition of bougie, but I still find her writing hilarious. The recipes she included in Heartburn are also excellent. Post-coital spaghetti carbonara is just perfect.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 8:01 PM

Who cares if it was bougie? Talented writers can find the comedy in almost anything. Ephron had her niche and she was very successful at it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 8:10 PM

Bravo to OP - this is a fresh take on these subjects that I don't recall ever seeing before.

I was thinking they could have had a bit of professional competitiveness. Both were great writers. I know Carrie was more of a "script doctor".

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 8:24 PM

Was Carrie known for being competitive with anyone? Even as a coke whore, she wasn't comptetitive with John Belushi.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 8:31 PM

Thanks for reminding me that they worked together.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2022 11:52 AM

R13, do you happen to have a link? I got a copy of Heartburn to browse through but there are no recipes, and I can't find anyone online who has posted it, either.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2022 12:04 PM

R18, this question sent me on a deep dive a few years back. Spaghetti carbonara isn’t one of the recipes featured in the book, but it’s mentioned and shown (memorably) in the film. What I could find through Google at the time was that Nora was partial to Marcella Hazan’s recipe for carbonara - which I highly recommend. It’s a little unusual because she has you deglaze the pork with white wine, but it makes the dish superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2022 12:27 PM

Yes, we know each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2022 12:32 PM

Thank you r19, I really appreciate it. The carbonara wasn't in the recipe index at the back of the book so I thought maybe Nora had talked about it in an interview or something and I just couldn't find it. I'm going to try Marcella's recipe this weekend!

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2022 12:37 PM

Enjoy! Get ready to whip those egg yolks with the hot pasta!

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2022 12:42 PM

When Streep was honored by the AFI, they both talked about being played by her onscreen.

Here's Ephron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2022 2:19 PM

And here's Fisher/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2022 2:20 PM

R8 that’s my favorite Carrie Fisher role. Love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2022 2:23 PM

A DL poster, in another thread, mentioned "I Remember Nothing." I just borrowed the audio book from the library and, so far, really enjoying it.

Don't let the beginning part of the book put you off. (Beginning part sounds like she's going to talk about her fall into Alzheimer's.) She actually seems to remember quite a bit. Not sure if she had journals to work from.

She died in 2012, so, some of it is dated. However, she's complaining about all kinds of petty things, like what's done on DL.

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2022 7:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!