Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Healthcare of the Future or Just a Gimmick?

I saw a commercial for this "new" healthcare provider. They try to focus more on preventative measures and monitoring (from what I can tell), but what had me skeptical was all the "Star Trek" like tech they show off in the ad along with LED mood lighting.....

I know marketing and it comes off as too gimmicky to me, but perhaps I'm wrong. Has anyone had any experience with Forward healthcare?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 9:42 PM

Whenever a for profit healh care organization touts "preventative measures and monitoring" they're talking about some cheesy bonus points scheme.

Players are rewarded for not using any services that cost money, for completing lifestyle questionnaires, making hollow pledges to cut out harmful foods and sharing information that may be used against their own interests, given a 5% discount at the fitness center group the company owns, and for going through the motions of being proactive about their health. It's all a distraction from higher health care premiums, higher deductibles, greater restrictions in coverage, and reduced benefits.

Preventive health measures can of course be of enormous value to one's health, if they are well considered and well implemented, but a showy display of "take charge of your own health" boosterism is not a substitute for health care. Insurers have been replacing critical health insurance coverage with "well baby programs" and reminders to go to Pilates class and 1-800-numbers to call if you're feeling sad or are too lazy to go the Mayoclinic.com Symptom Checker like the non-medically trained "health program assistant" will do (if they are halfway competent.)

"Control your own health" translates as let the insurers control their profits and fuck over their customers.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 7:34 PM

Looks straight out of "Idiocracy."

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 7:35 PM

Thanks R1 for the information! It confirms what I was thinking about it. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of people will fall for the slick tech show that shows your vitals on an OLED screen vs a piece of paper and think somehow it's better.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 7:46 PM

Pure bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 8:50 PM

R4 is the succinct version of R1.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 8:51 PM

Theranos anyone?

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 9:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!