Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Anyone Have Experience With Weight Training While Doing Keto?

Love both on their own but struggling while doing them together. My trainer says I need carbs but eating them is a slippery slope since I struggle moderating them.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 3:21 PM

you might find it easier to moderate with rice cakes, matzo crackers, anything cardboard tasting.

now, do you do cutting and bulking cycles?

use supplements?

use questionably legal supplements or chemical compounds?

Everything's quite variable... your routine, goals, diet, health, meds, whatever.

you can simplify that shit by getting a nutritionist.. ideally, one that's also a np or md. so, you've got a go between with your trainer and doctor to refine your goals.

But most do the research themselves

Some switch between keto and other lifestyle diets. . . as needed.

Even with carb loading, you can still eat 'clean' (the right ingredients) but you increase your intake as necessary.. there's more than a few calculator types but I've included the link of a basic free one I found on a general search but there is variety of specialty calculators for various diets, bodybuilding, bulding cycles, desired outcomes, etc

also many forums. I'm partial to t-nation, myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 2:31 PM

oh, what do you know bb made theirs available without signup.

a bit better than the calc above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 2:34 PM

Try looking up Tim Ferris's book the four hour body. In it he has a diet which is mosty Keto but uses high fiber carbs added in to satiate the carb craving. It is pretty simple to follow, fairly inexpensive and produces good results. The whole book is a good read even though I suspect Tim in a Trumpster.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 2:52 PM

R1, R2 Thank you for all that. I am researching carb cycling, which sounds ideal. From what I understand I would have healthy carbs during certain hours one or two days of the week while maintaining keto for the rest. When I calculate my macros for weight loss on a sedentary setting my net carbs are between 18-20. I’m looking forward to playing around with the calculators above.

My goal is weight loss while sculpting. I need to lose about 25 lbs, at least. I take a multivitamin, B-12, Vitamin D, and before working out I have a pre-workout boost drink. After hard workouts I will drink some BCAAs.

My trainer is pushing the clean eating with moderation routine of chicken/spinach/rice/ eggs until the weekend where you can “eat what you want”. but cheat day for me turns into cheat life and I keep failing at that approach. I know you can’t have it both ways and one must sacrifice when committing to something like this, its just A) I am never satiated with this method of eating and B) I grew up with terrible habits that led me to binge and emotional eating off and on for most of my adult life. People who haven’t experienced this don’t understand how difficult it is to just “eat clean” when food has been a form of medication in the past. I am in therapy and working on those bad habits.

When I did keto several years back I felt amazing. My skin, mood, energy, eating habits were all thriving. My mood had never been better and I was never hungry and enjoyed the variety of food that lifestyle offered. I want to get back to that.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 3:03 PM

R3 Thank you, it sounds helpful!

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 3:04 PM

Food fetishes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 3:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!