Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Person with BPD caused emergency services to be summoned so often they sent her a letter

She's posted the last page of it to Twitter and is now basking in the attention of people telling her that her feelings and mental health matter more than some letter!

(not sure if BPD refers to Borderline Personality Disorder or Bipolar Personality Disorder, perhaps someone else can clarify).

The letter mentions some incidents where she has been loitering near bridges and overpasses in a way that caused her friends to be concerned, multiple times apparently, as well as calling emergency services, both her and her friends, because she is feeling suicidal or is acting in a concerning manner.

Is she in the right here or does it seem like she's mainly doing it for attention, and then hiding behind the mental illness diagnosis (not sure if self-diagnosed or other) and the support of others like her on Twitter? A quick glance at her Twitter shows a person who spends the majority of their time talking/venting about their mental illness.

Is she blameless in this because of her mental illness, or does she bear some responsibility?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2022 10:09 PM

The quote tweets on it has a lot of people talking about "SIM" and "ACAB" (All cops are bastards), even though this is in the UK and I think a lot of the people posting ACAB are American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 12:36 PM

Here's the direct link to the last page of the letter (curious what the first page says)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 12:38 PM

BPD is borderline personality disorder. Being suicidal or attention-seeking doesn't mean she has that illness though.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 12:39 PM

I looked up SIM too, apparently it's something called "Serenity Integrated Monitoring":

"The SIM model is designed for people who are very unwell, and who most often come into contact with emergency services. Despite being at very high risk of self-harm and suicide, the SIM model instructs services that usually provide care in an emergency not to treat these people. This includes A&E, ambulance services, mental health services and the police. This also affects people under the SIM model if they want to access a diagnosis or treatment for physical health conditions. For example, they can be denied care for a chest X-ray, even if people with the same physical symptoms would usually be offered one.

SIM justifies this with the argument that these people’s behaviour is “attention seeking”, and places an “unnecessary financial burden” on the NHS. They claim that when service users under SIM receive care or treatment from the NHS, “high risk behaviours” (including self-harm and suicide) are “‘positively reinforced’ by 999 teams (meaning that it would encourage the patient to repeat the high risk behaviour).”

A key part of SIM is the police being a part of community mental health teams. These police officers are called “High Intensity Officers” (HIOs) and they are given NHS contracts. SIM documents state that HIOs receive 3 days of initial classroom training, which is “facilitated and led by Paul Jennings” (who is not a mental health professional), and ‘understanding of mental health provision and services’ is not an essential job requirement. HIOs have full access to service users’ medical records, and are also able to share police records with medical staff.

High Intensity Officers are repeatedly described in SIM documents as “coercive”, this means using force or threats to make someone do what you want them to do. The role of HIOs is to apply pressure on people under the SIM model until they stop “demonstrating intensive patterns of demand”, this means until they stop contacting services such as 999, A&E, mental health services and the police. One threat which is used to pressure individuals is legal action, such as the use of Community Behaviour Orders (for example, as a consequence of calling 999 when feeling suicidal) which can result in up to 5 years in prison."

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 12:40 PM

R3 I mention BPD because she says she has it in a lot of her tweets.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 12:41 PM

(the text in r4 is from a website called "stopsim" so it's a fairly biased source).

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 12:42 PM

She deserves to be told to stop wasting resources that could be used to help others. The mentally ill fucking love Twitter and the faux empathy and instant celebrity it affords them.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 12:46 PM

I don’t have any charitable thoughts about this person. Because I’m trying to stop being a cunt online, I won’t post them. But other cunts know what I’m talking about.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 12:48 PM

I she wanted to, she would.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 12:50 PM

R4 undoubtedly lives for 12 step programs and is so tender to the touch.

Grow up!

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 12:51 PM

Didn't they used to call this VagueBooking on Facebook, or something like that? FB is/used to be FULL of this shit. Apparently, they've all moved to Twitter now. Next up, Instagram!

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 12:52 PM

People like this need to GET THE FUCK OFF SOCIAL MEDIA.

It's as addictive and pernicious as any drug.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 12:56 PM

When nut jobs use emergency services as a dating app. Many of those fire and ambulance workers are hot hot hot.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 12:58 PM

I know someone like this. They call ambulance for false alarms (heart attack that wasn't real, fake food poisoning) and then it turns out there's nothing wrong with them once they get to the hospital and are examined. I assume they skip out on the ambulance bill since this person has no assets.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 1:00 PM

I don't know exactly what R10 means but it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 1:01 PM

Why are people on DL so enamored and concerned with all this psycho babble therapy shit all the time?!!! It is a constant barrage of BPD NPD etc. Is everyone in therapy all their lives? It's like an obsession you people have.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 1:11 PM

Having a BPD relative I can assure you until they’re treated with cognitive therapy, they will never end the cycle of attention seeking and abusive behavior toward others they deem “out to get them”. This cunt is using the emergency number for her own selfishness. Start charging her for faux calls, she’ll end that and go onto another attention seeking Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 1:15 PM

I’m on the fence on this issue, in general. Specific to this case, she is definitely borderline and selfish. Without knowing the entire story, it sounds as if she is calling for an ambulance enough to generate this kind of response but hasn’t been hospitalized subsequent to these calls. So, the EMTs continually waste their time checking on her. If someone’s granny was having a stroke, she could die for want of an ambulance.

On the other hand, mental illness is real and I hope this woman finally gets the care she clearly needs. On the third hand, she sounds annoying as fuck. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 1:24 PM

R17 Yes, my husband’s ex was BPD. I actually still Google Ex every so often for protection and it’s been close to 25 years. We had to see a lawyer for one situation about 10 years ago that ended up winding down naturally, but there were suicide threats, intense neediness, etc., before I came along. It’s infuriating and incredibly irritating.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 1:27 PM

I don't think the authorities are in the wrong. She's clearly abusing resources. I understand she's unwell and she deserves support, but frankly she should be institutionalized if she's that unable to cope with the world around her.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 1:38 PM

Do or do not. There is no try.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 1:45 PM

Not okay to monopolize limited and precious resources for your own gratification. Assholes like this also weaponize the judicial system, taking out restraining orders. They LOVE those things.

We have an elderly neighbor down the hall. She had some sort of mental crisis. SHE had been calling 911 because a friend of hers stopped responding to her craziness and her family told the sick woman to stop. She said they were holding her hostage and she was probably dead. Then people called 911 on the sick lady. It’s a long story.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 1:47 PM

I have very mixed feelings about cops - am not an ACAB person but believe we have good cops and more bad cops than we knew about, and some are very badly trained.

However, the one part where I cut cops slack is that too many of them are dealing with the public's mental illness cases. And this is where I agree it should be dealt with a different way. Not that we should defund but reform and reorganize, and take, what, 15 percent of the budget and hire mental health officers. Similar things have worked elsewhere.

It sounds like even with that approach, this Gollum looking bitch would still be overtaxing the resources.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 1:51 PM

What medications treat BPD?

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2022 2:28 PM

Too bad that MAOIs have all but been retired. I think they'd help treat those with BPD.

MAOIs work better than SSRIs at treating depression with atypical features, and a key component of that type of depression is sensitivity to interpersonal rejection. People with BPD struggle with this a lot.

It's just a hunch.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2022 2:31 PM

If those are her dogs in her Twitter profile pic, they need a better home asap.

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2022 2:45 PM

But MAOIs are so dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2022 2:48 PM

So is BPD, r27

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 2:49 PM

During the 10 years I worked as a nurse on locked psych units, the best example of a case like this was a woman who claimed she was unable to walk. She actually dragged herself around the unit, using only her arms. She had a history of going to ER’s and sitting on the pavement in the ambulance arrival bay, stating she was paralyzed. She kept trying to refuse psychotropic medication, insisting her problem was medical.

One day, her sister came to visit, and stood at the nursing station as the patient pulled herself along the floor to meet her. Seeing this, the sister told her sternly to stand the fuck up. The patient meekly stood, but, after her sister later departed, she reverted to crawling around again.

Her next strategy was to refuse all food and drink, stating she was no longer able. After a day or so of this, she was transferred to a more high acuity psych hospital, and I never saw her again.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 2:59 PM

r29 sounds like a factitious disorder (a diagnosis that has long fascinated me, after a friendship with someone who seemed to have it)

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 3:03 PM

While mental illness is real and people have benefited from the de-stigmatization of some forms of the illness, I'm fairly fed up with everyone using BPD, "anxiety," and depression as excuses for absurd behavior.

Also, being an attention whore is not a mental illness.

Finally, if you are the cause of multiple emergency services responses, you SHOULD have to pay for it.

If you truly are that desperate, get the right kind of attention from a trained professional in an institution.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2022 3:03 PM

R30 What did your friend make up?

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2022 3:06 PM

Cancer, heart attacks, epilepsy, traumatic brain injury, and many other little ailments and misfortunes. Also, she suffered from pseudologia fantastica (which I know isn't a diagnosis) and would tell wild tales about herself and her life.

I never really determined if she was truly delusional or if she had a factitious disorder. I went back and forth on that question.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 3:10 PM

Here's an example off the top of my head from r33: One day over coffee, she said with a straight face, "Last night, I came home and found DEA agents raiding my house! Then they drove me out into the desert and left me there!"

That example made me think she was delusional -- that sounds like a delusion rather than a lie she honestly expected me to believe.

Who knows. Once I realized to take little of what she said seriously, it was easy to distance myself. But delusional or not, she was difficult to be friends with and the whole situation left me rather unsettled. Something about her clearly was not right.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 3:23 PM

I will handle this for r8.

Put her near a ledge, then give a swift shove.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 3:23 PM

Ambulance abuse happens all the time, and not just for factitious disorders. People who really are sick but use the ambulance instead of driving because they love the attention.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 3:54 PM

Jonathan "Jessica" Wax My Balls Yaniv has pulled similar stunts in his area. If I remember right, he got something similar and flipped out. He kept calling 911 when he was in the bathtub naked..

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 4:37 PM

BPD is Borderline Personality Disorder - bipolar is not a personality disorder

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 6:10 PM

This reminds me of the documentary The Bridge. I can't imagine watching someone jump from a bridge or overpass.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 9:58 PM

R39 it sounds like she was "loitering" near a bridge to make her friend nervous.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 11:49 PM

That's very manipulative r40

Most of the suicides in The Bridge jumped right off without much hesitation

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2022 12:04 AM

Yeah when you read the examples given in the letter from the police it sounds like she did that sort of thing multiple times.

I can't imagine them writing a letter like that if it hadn't happened enough times to stand out. How many, a dozen? More?

The thing I find wild is all the people on Twitter who are just performatively denouncing the cops and praising this woman.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2022 12:11 AM

Borderline, antisocial and low-functioning narcissism are probably the worst to deal with and even worse if its a family member or significant other. Bipolar, anxiety, depression, ADHD, OCD and high-functioning narcissists if treated at least can live normal lives and interact well with others to a point.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2022 12:19 AM

r33/r34 here. However, there was evidence she was factitious and not delusional. One day I dropped by her house. She was on her way to a doctor's appointment and had her Merck Manual with her.

That thing was dogeared and annotated like you wouldn't believe. Dozens of post-it notes marked different pages. That's a factitious thing: researching different disorders and diseases so you can more easily manipulate medical professionals and present with plausible symptoms.

A psychologist friend speculated she was obsessed with being sick to the point it became a delusion.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2022 12:32 AM

r38 for much of the world, BPD is accepted as borderline personality disorder, though parts of the UK they use it to mean bipolar disorder and refer to borderline by an older term of UEPD. Though with the NHS uses bpd as borderline and holding the purse strings for many, the rest are starting to come into line. But given the standards (not including personal biases) are quite more conservative for diagnoses, it has slowed that change somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2022 12:41 AM

Fascinating r45

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2022 2:49 PM

r46 The UK system for mental health is really quite interesting. It's held up as an international topic point for public health and frequently serves as a barometer for the rest of the world. Mostly born out of trying to rectify it's notorious history of abuse and the complications that arise when public guilt/conscience is left to direct the system. Spoiler: There's perhaps more has more abuse allegations now than in the past. in both the lack of public resources, adequate diagnoses and abuse. But even in these troubles, they also lead the way as an example of public integration and educational mainstreaming programs.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2022 10:42 PM

r47 even if people make fun of it quite a bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2022 10:47 PM

My son is a firefighter in a rather small town. There was a 600 lb woman who kept falling out of bed. They would request assistance from two other departments. The city finally sent her a letter that she was going to have to pay for this service. She was also encouraged to get a DNR because she was so large they really couldn’t do anything for her in a medical crisis.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2022 11:32 PM

She is ill but emergency services is correct to tell her that they aren't the ones to call. It is like someone who suffers from Munchausen syndrome. Clearly they are mentally ill but it would not be helpful or appropriate to pander to the Munchausen illness and run a bunch of tests and given treatments they don't need- they need a different type of help. Along the same lines- pandering to a BPD who is constantly calling emergency services for attention seeking behavior doesn't help, she needs a different type of help. I think boundaries BIG ONES- WALLS- with a BPD is the best thing.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2022 11:54 PM

I wonder if old-school, years-long institutionalization would benefit society in cases like this

by Anonymousreply 51January 20, 2022 7:20 PM

My brother has had a lot of help from the NHS mental health teams, so we've seen the good (and not so good) work the different teams do.

The psychiatric hospital, while daunting for those of us with a sound mind (I met a man who thought he was the Queen!), was where he made the quickest recovery. The doctors and nurses there were lovely - not that my brother appreciated it in his state. The team who supported him when he first came home was excellent, too. Very knowledgeable, well-trained and patient.

Things started falling apart when he was moved to the local government social care team. They were absolutely shit - incompetent, not particularly bothered and poorly trained. We lodged formal complaints against two of his 'support workers', but it never went anywhere. His mental health collapsed again and he ended up back in hospital to start the process all over again.

If the only help - if any - this woman is receiving is from social care, she's never going to get better.

by Anonymousreply 52January 20, 2022 7:44 PM

FFS, she should just do bong hits.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2022 7:57 PM

I'm so exhausted from my BPD and loitering beside bridges and busy roadways, I don't have time to do bong hits!

by Anonymousreply 54January 20, 2022 8:28 PM

[QUOTE] I met a man who thought he was the Queen!

That describes every other poster on DL, toots.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2022 9:06 PM

[R16], I'm concerned with your incorrect use of enamoured. It's always 'enamoured of.' Get it right after your mouth stops foaming, dear.

by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2022 10:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!