Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sean Penn Says He’s Glad He’s Old and Won’t Have to “Deal” with Where the World is Heading

The post Sean Penn Says He’s Glad He’s Old and Won’t Have to “Deal” with Where the World is Heading appeared first on Consequence.

Growing old is more-or-less a sin in Hollywood, but 61-year-old Sean Penn isn’t mad about it. In a recent interview with the Toronto Sun, the actor said he was happy to grow old so he won’t have to deal with the world’s increasingly apocalyptic future.

“I’m a little frustrated with the world,” Penn said. “I’m glad I’m old and won’t be having to deal with where this stuff is going.”

Penn’s misanthropic comments seemed to be inspired by so-called cancel culture, as he went on to denounce those who pick and choose issues to be upset about.

“We give too much of a shit about what we are going to be accused of by people who want to be self-righteous because they can get a quick reward,” Penn said. “And they’re self-righteous hypocritically — they damn this, but don’t worry about why kids are being bombed in Yemen, because it’s not getting them into a club right away.”

Penn has never been shy about his political beliefs. Back in July, he refused to resume shooting the Starz series Gaslit until every cast and crew member was vaccinated against COVID-19. Before that, he chided the “salacious” #MeToo movement because it “divides men and women.”

More recently, he directed the film Flag Day, a drama based on Jennifer Vogel’s 2004 memoir Flim-Flam Man: A True Family History. Starring Penn and his daughter Dylan, the film tells the story of Vogel’s charming father, the bank robber and conman John Vogel. In keeping with the film’s father-daughter theme, its soundtrack features contributions from Eddie Vedder and his daughter Olivia, as well as Cat Power and Glen Hansard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 26, 2022 4:25 PM

Had this same thought…for myself, 40 years from now.

He’s right.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 1:24 AM

. “And they’re self-righteous hypocritically — they damn this, but don’t worry about why kids are being bombed in Yemen, because it’s not getting them into a club right away.”

He's right on this point.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 1:24 AM

I agree bur breeders don’t have any right to say shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 1:25 AM

This sounds like post divorce depression talking?

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 1:26 AM

Every old narcissist I know is convinced the world is ending. And over. And ruined.

Because it simply can't exist without them.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 1:26 AM

R3 You proved his point

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 1:27 AM

When does his limited series with Julia premiere?

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 1:28 AM

I'm 40 years old and I envy my elders for this very same reason.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 1:31 AM

It’ll calm down once this country becomes the Weimar Republic. Nobody is going tolerate trans, “queer”, or that “LTBTQ” garbage. Nobody. You will get your head blown clean off.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 1:33 AM

R8 you don't need to envy your elders because you'll be there in the blink of an eye yourself.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 5:52 AM

Who does Penn think he is? Maurice Chevalier?

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 5:55 AM

I don't usually like him but... he's right.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 6:01 AM

Didn't he just direct some terrible movie with his daughter that was shot by his BFF Julia Roberts's husband?

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 6:01 AM

Yet he chose to bring kids into the world to deal with it…

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 6:03 AM

R5, the future is bleak

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 6:04 AM

I love how this dude is so outspoken yet every friend he has is an A list elite in every way possible. So brave.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 6:07 AM

r16

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 6:13 AM

[quote]“I’m a little frustrated with the world,” Penn said. “I’m glad I’m old and won’t be having to deal with where this stuff is going.”

It’s exactly how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 6:29 AM

I thought he married some 21 year old

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 6:33 AM

r18 You know, you don't have to wait for the creation of Futurama's Suicide Booth. For decades, the younger generations have asked their elders to hurry up and die in order to save Democracy/the environment/social justice and get some much needed relief from your drain on the tax system, so they can finally get universal healthcare and student loan relief. After 30, your life is pretty much over, anyway. So, what say you? Go Green and end world hunger today!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2022 6:36 AM

[quote] I thought he married some 21 year old

He did. He married Leila George (Vincent D'Onofrios daughter) in 2020.

They got divorced in 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2022 7:09 AM

[quote]"We give too much of a shit about what we are going to be accused of by people who want to be self-righteous because they can get a quick reward"

While I do agree with this, he's also someone who's known to beat women. That may have something to do with what he's so worried about.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 7:29 AM

Madonna better not hear this. She believes she’s going to live forever.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 7:40 AM

This is why Madonna doesn’t hang around nor date people her own age. It’s too much of a wake up call for her.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2022 7:40 AM

[Quote]“We give too much of a shit about what we are going to be accused of by people who want to be self-righteous because they can get a quick reward,” Penn said.

Welcome to "adulthood" Mr. Penn. Did it really take you 61 years to come to the realizations most people reach at least by their early 30s? I guess flying into violent privileged fuel temper tantrums doesn't leave a lot of time for self-reflection. Better late than never.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2022 10:53 AM

President Bob Newhart describes it best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2022 10:59 AM

R21 excuse me, she’s MY daughter too!

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2022 11:31 AM

He’s not wrong, alas.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 11:47 AM

Divorce is pending.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 11:54 AM

Ok, Boomers.

Man. The devil is getting his due when all you whiners get to hell in the next decade. You're gonna look up and see that in fact things carry on without you, just as they did after every global war and pandemic over the past millennia, every holocaust and genocide we've endured, and you're really gonna pitch a fit down there.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 11:54 AM

^ Just for that, you get NOTHING... For reasons well know to you

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2022 12:00 PM

I don’t like how this younger generation doesn’t allow for redemption. But I understand how angry they are.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2022 12:12 PM

[quote] I love how this dude is so outspoken yet every friend he has is an A list elite in every way possible.

Goodness poppet: you’ve gone through every entry in his address book to compile that post? Or perhaps not. In which case: how very very target-the-messenger vs debate-the-issue Gen Woke of you.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 12:23 PM

R30, things will only “carry on” for a few more decades at best. If you truly don’t believe that climate change will ultimately destroy this planet, you’re not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 3:22 PM

I sort of agree with the sentiment.

It's going to be a sci fi movie nightmare 50 years from now - it's going to be one dystopia or another (though probably several of them).

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 3:36 PM

[quote] We give too much of a shit about what we are going to be accused of by people who want to be self-righteous because they can get a quick reward…

The most ironic statement ever…

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 4:46 PM

[quote]I don’t like how this younger generation doesn’t allow for redemption. But I understand how angry they are.

Yeah, I think this accurately sums up how I feel too.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 5:52 PM

I am glad sean penn is in his sixties, wish he was in his ninties and seeing his dead relatives

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 6:09 PM

Madonna just doesn't want to be reminded that she's old.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 6:15 PM

R39, she must’ve removed her mirrors from her house.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 8:24 PM

Scroll down to listen to what assholes Penn and Robert Duvall were on the set of COLORS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 8:48 PM

Sean had a boner when he had to carry my limp corpse out of that building at the end of "Taps." We did seven takes, and he had wood in every one of them.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 8:56 PM

He's just mad because he can't hit Madonna anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 9:11 PM

The world is ending, the planet is dying. The future is bleak!

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 9:21 PM

This is the attitude of the entire Baby Boom generation:

1. Inherit pristine, thriving world.

2. Fuck it up beyond all recognition.

3. Throw up hands and say "I'm glad I don't have to live in this messed up world much longer."

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 9:24 PM

R45 you pretty much nailed the situation EXACTLY as it is.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 9:31 PM

R41 I always knew Sean Penn was problematic, from previous commentary and beating up media, but I was unfamiliar with this story.

An ignorant trashy old ass overrated actor (who ran around like a douchebag most of his life) now complaining about the fucked up state of the country is like a chef saying that the only reason customers didn't like his food was because the waiter didn't smile at them.

Sean contributed richly to the current fucked up state of affairs including raising his own little racist homophobe who was comfortable enough to show his ass while WITH Sean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2022 2:19 PM

He didn’t raise his kids worth a damn. And isn’t his daughter Dylan dating some druggie musician or something? Sean is a fucked up dude. I’m surprised that Robin Wright didn’t leave skid marks when she left his ass.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2022 3:17 PM

Oh, r45, how you do go on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2022 3:22 PM

I don’t think 61 is old enough to escape some really bad consequences. If he was eighty, maybe. He’s rich and he may not be even be able to escape it.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2022 3:37 PM

and did all stupid liberals who bought Jussie Smollett's fraud worry and agonize over the children being shot left and right in the very same city of Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2022 3:41 PM

I wish some dumb entertainment reporter would repeat his quote to madonna and ask if she feels the same!

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2022 10:08 AM

Tied her to a chair and beat her up, R44.

Such a prince of a fellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2022 10:22 AM

I don’t think Penn is wrong with parts of his argument, but I hate when people say not to worry about X because Y is more important.

1. You don’t get to decide what’s more important to another person.

2. People can also care about one thing that’s happening here and another thing that’s happening in Yemen. It’s like walking and chewing gum at the same time, and people do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2022 10:34 AM

I'm a similar age and I feel the same. Very worried about where the world is heading. I'm afraid western democracy is not surviving. To many nasty dictatorships are sawing on the legs of western democracy. China is a big threat and they are teaming up with Russia.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2022 10:42 AM

*Too

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2022 11:12 AM

I am 46 and I agree with him completely. There is a great divide between people who were teens, young adults, when the internet hit and people who grew up with it. Those of us of the former know the world as we knew it is dying and won't be around much longer. But that doesn't necessarily mean an end to all things. It just means and end to what we know the world to be. It will evolve into something else. Most likely generation z and their spawn becoming cogs in some meta universe.

I DO remember being a kid and a teen and the future was something exciting to look forward to. Kids today definitely don't seem too excited about anything coming down the pipeline. And I don't think it's fair to say boomers were handed a perfect world and ruined it. The name alone, Boomer, comes from the baby boom after a World War when soldiers returned home. It was hardly a perfect world. My parents lived through segregation, seeing their friends drafted and sent off to Vietnam to die, the assassination of a president and just about every important political leader - a lot of pressure from the outside world closing in on them. They hardly inherited la dolce vita. And to me, the problems most kids today are facing are self-inflicted, self-indulgent (they will never know the terror of a draft or live with families destroyed by one) and for the most part avoidable for anyone with discipline. I never once blamed my parents for the problems facing me in the world.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2022 12:14 PM

And it blows my mind to think that Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin were all creating the music they were at 25 years old, music that has lasted generations and is still sampled heavily today. I would defy anyone making music today, at that age, to create anything that will be listened to 40, 50 years from now. And those Boomers... faced the terrors of a country actually being torn apart by the world left to them and were destroyed by it. Yet they created something meaningful from it. They didn't stop at lamenting their woes, that's where they started. So yes, I'm so glad I don't have any children and only have to care about the remaining years ahead of me. Because the current culture with all of its self-righteous indignation and the negation of anything that came before it really rings false and is full of nothing but a bunch of emptiness. Good luck kiddies.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2022 6:37 PM

[quote]And I don't think it's fair to say boomers were handed a perfect world and ruined it.

They weren't handed a perfect world, but they were given a society where you could make it on the bare minimum. Where having a HS Diploma could get you a good job. Where you didn't have to worry about going into debt to have a decent life.

All of that got shot to shit starting in the 80's with the Reagan administration. The destruction of unions, outsourcing of important jobs to other countries, the ending of US factories and produced goods. The slashing of benefits at many jobs. A minimum wage that never increased. Many full-time jobs becoming part time jobs where a standard set of hours were no longer guaranteed each week.

I'm not a millennial by any means, but the damage that has been inflicted upon the middle class and poor over the last forty years has become too big to ignore.

In fact, I don't understand how anyone who isn't a Republican can not be furious at what has happened.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2022 7:00 PM

And Sean Penn, like Alec Baldwin, is a toxic asshole who has been given A TON of passes because of the political views he espouses.

Neither of them is fit to appoint themselves ambassadors of social issues.

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2022 7:02 PM

Hate to have someone like him on the side of the left.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2022 7:33 PM

This malignant narcissist. The world is turning apocalyptic, but 'cancel culture' (as they call it, more like getting their just desserts) is the least of our concerns. Especially for someone who has the money to ride out the rest of his years in comfort.

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2022 8:41 PM

Hopefully his day is coming...he could use some humbling.

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote] If you truly don’t believe that climate change will ultimately destroy this planet, you’re not paying attention.

Oh, give me a break. All you climate people talking about what's going to happen in 2100.

We'll be out of fucking gasoline and nat gas and every kind of fuel except nuclear, waterpower, wind, solar, and thermodynamic by 2060. All those lovely suburbs in America are going to turn into ghost towns when people can't get anywhere. The panic and starvation that will happen when we don't have fertilizer any more for crops for our massive industrial farms (comes from petrochemicals) and when the machines that do farmwork have no fuel.

The future is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2022 10:01 PM

It's no use, R64. People won't believe it until it hits them square in the nose. Or, they think it will only impact the next generation. It is all steeply downhill for everyone except the most wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2022 10:54 PM

What is he bitching about now?

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2022 10:59 PM

R43 - I think Madonna is still in love with him. He’s the only man who made her happy. He asserted himself and he dominated her. He didn’t tolerate her nonsense. It’s just my opinion, I’m not sure if it’s true or not.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2022 11:03 PM

In the review of Truth or Dare by Todd in the Shadows he shows the clip of Madonna being asked who the love of her whole life has been, and her response of "Sean" and just says: "Holy damn! That poor woman." which about sums it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2022 11:06 PM

R67 I think they loved each other but loved themselves more. Hollywood marriages rarely last between actors because the egos are enormous.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2022 11:06 PM

They are both deeply fond of South American dictators.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2022 11:43 PM

I think Guy was the love of her life.

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2022 1:22 AM

Does Madge do anal? Or you think she's tried it? I would think she has since that pussy has to be mush by now.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2022 1:24 AM

Don’t all old people say this?

But I understand where he’s coming from. Between pollution, global warming, authoritarianism rising, viruses, guns, etc., it’s hard to imagine a bright future.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2022 1:29 AM

Not if you get reincarnated, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2022 2:07 AM

The "salacious" #MeToo movement "divides men and women." I love it when members of the group that have been doing the abusing and oppressing claim that holding them accountable is being divisive. It's like when white people say black people are being divisive when they talk about racism. All those generations of men in Hollywood groping and coercing and raping women weren't divisive; they were bringing men and women together. It's all these women finally speaking up about the abuse that are the problem. All those centuries of white people restricting and discriminating against and literally separating black people weren't divisive; they were GREAT for race relations. It's when black people say "ahem, excuse me, some injustices need righting before we go forward" that is the problem. Unbelievable, the sociopathic nerve.

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2022 2:29 AM

He's just depressed because he doesn't have a wife in the house to beat right now.

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2022 2:33 AM

I say the same thing all the time.

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2022 2:46 AM

Ugh! Has he been lip syncing to the Barnum cast album again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2022 3:22 AM

R67, read the link at R53. He terrorized her.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2022 11:11 AM

R59 Reagan ISN't a Boomer. The Boomer's would have been the next generation. Clinton was the first Boomer President.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2022 2:25 PM

"Before that, he chided the “salacious” #MeToo movement because it “divides men and women."

What a moron.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2022 2:32 PM

R16. I loved that movie, Team America. I watched it with a bunch of friends who worked on many films, and they howled in joy when the repulsive asshole Tim Robbins got blown up. That creep has treated film crew like shit for years.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2022 2:49 PM

Yes, most people naturally can't wait for all the horrible Boomers to die.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2022 2:52 PM

He really is a hypocritical narcissistic asshole isn't he? Imagine a woman beater like Sean chiding the metoo movement, as if everyone and their dog doesn't have his number by now. And ugly as sin too. He is the worst stereotype of a straight man.

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2022 8:38 PM

I saw him in some science fiction series that got cancelled. He had ROCKING body for 59 at the time. The face although exhibits a "hard" 61 from that pic. He would have some rejuvenation procedures.!!!!

by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2022 8:57 PM

I wonder why his recent marriage failed?

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2022 9:01 PM

What did Charlize see in him? He's ugly, full of himself and looks like he is always smelling something bad...what a miserable motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 87January 25, 2022 1:27 AM

Charlize seems like a psycho too, she has the coldest deadest eyes and demeanor, zero warmth. She is better looking than him, guess she couldn't find a hot psycho.

by Anonymousreply 88January 25, 2022 6:05 AM

Maybe I'm alone, but I kind of want to be alive to experience the end of mankind! How exciting would that be to know you were the last generation up in this bitch!

by Anonymousreply 89January 25, 2022 9:52 AM

“I wonder why his recent marriage failed?”

Are you insane? She was young enough to be his granddaughter- do you think a young woman enjoys fucking an old man? He is so ugly.

by Anonymousreply 90January 25, 2022 2:31 PM

Have fun R89. I think it'll be downright terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 91January 25, 2022 2:34 PM

r89, for now. How many societies have risen and fallen over the course of time? Who knows how many times the earth has started over again? We are just making it unlivable for us. The Earth will still be spinning around the sun for millions of years after we've gone. Who knows what will crawl out of the water onto land to begin the process all over again 30 million years later, if it starts that way the next time. All until the Sun implodes. Just saying we could be the 10th generation, there may be 30 to go.

by Anonymousreply 92January 25, 2022 4:32 PM

My neighborhood is supposedly going to be ten feet underwater in fifty years.

by Anonymousreply 93January 26, 2022 4:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!