Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hawaii to require travelers have COVID booster shot to be 'fully vaccinated'

Hawaii will require visitors to the state to have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster if they want to skip quarantine.

Currently, under the rules of the state's "Safe Travels" program, travelers who don't want to quarantine for five days must either be fully vaccinated -- meaning two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine or one shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine -- or have a negative COVID-19 test within one day of travel

However, the program is changing the definition of "fully vaccinated" to include booster shots, Gov. David Ige announced at a news conference last week.

This means fully vaccinated travelers who haven't received a booster shot will have to quarantine in Hawaii for five days.

Ige said changes to the program will not occur for at least two weeks so people traveling to Hawaii can adjust their plans accordingly.

"We know that the community needs time to react to that, so we would have to provide at least two weeks for those who may not be up-to-date to go to have the opportunity to go and get vaccinated if they need to," he said, according to Hawaii News Now.

During the news conference, Ige also said he was speaking with mayors and other local leaders about requiring booster shots to dine in restaurants and participate in other activities and events. However, he said he will leave that decision up to individual counties.

Last month, Maui Mayor Michael Victorino revealed booster shots would be required for locals to be considered fully vaccinated.

The rule was supposed to go into effect on Jan. 8 but was delayed until Jan. 24 so people have time to schedule booster shots, reported KHON 2.

This move comes as the Hawaii Tourism Authority announced the Safe Travels program would be undergoing several changes, including reducing the mandatory quarantine period for unvaccinated travelers without a negative COVID-19 test from 10 days to five days, in accordance with updated Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

Additionally, visitors will no longer be required to fill out an online questionnaire 24 hours before arrival to receive a QR code.

The governor's office did not immediately reply to ABC News' request for comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 4:48 AM

That’s dumb. How many people caught Covid before they were even eligible to get boosted? I know several.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 12:22 AM

The rest of the world is loosening restrictions and trying to live with Covid.

Meanwhile, Hawaii is tightening restrictions.

That's idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 12:27 AM

Funny, how right-wing anti-vaxxers now have an issue with state and local officials making decisions?

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 12:31 AM

r2 Islands, tourist destination... if ships are getting this much of flak, a state that heavily relies on tourism isn't going to be pushing it. if you want to view the opposition, you'll need a fb account. trigger warning: indigenous people in everyday clothes rather than fetishized regalia for publicity photos.

r3 funny how leftwing now comply despite the POTUS has failed to deliver on his promises to them instead employing law enforcement and the national guard to deal with protesters. . because nothing matters to either side but team colours and blind tribalism

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 12:37 AM

Great idea.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 12:39 AM

The best recommendation I can provide for those that are anti-vaxers, Q-anons, Militia types, Trumpistas, Proud Boys, etcetcetc is to STAY THE FUCK HOME in beautiful Bama, Texass, Ima-Ho, and every other crack hole state that grows these types of fuckheads.

When covid was at its height and people were scared shitless to get on a flight, it was the best of times for locals in Hawaii. We didn't miss you. We won't miss you. Stay in your own shithole states. Thank you, fuck you, and of course, aloha.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 12:49 AM

Good

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 12:51 AM

Funny that the anti-vax MAGA crowd in search of a tropical vacation will all go to Mexico now.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 1:38 AM

Mexico is closer, cheaper and more fun any way, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 1:39 AM

Yes, please listen to R9. Mexico. It's a fun place to get raped, robbed, and murdered. Enjoy those Mexican beaches y'all. Be sure and wear those MAGAt hats so you don't get burned. Oh, and enjoy those state-of-the-art COVID medical facilities. Aloha!

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 3:18 AM

This is just getting ridiculous. I got the first two shots, but I’m not getting a 3rd shot, and then soon it will be a 4th shot and then a 5th shot, etc. This is getting carried away.

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 3:20 AM

Hawai'i residents breathe a sigh of relief R9.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 3:21 AM

Hawaii survives off tourism. This is a stupid idea on their part.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 3:35 AM

Is there huge unemployment there now? Tourism seems like their main job source.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2022 3:59 AM

They will be just fine. Makes me want to go now!

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2022 4:12 AM

Are the locals required to be vaccinated? Because that would be great to require everyone on the islands and all the travelers as well. I would def spend money to visit. As it is now I haven't taken any vacations because there is not safe place to visit.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2022 4:34 AM

*No*

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2022 4:35 AM

Hmph. I can go.

But I don't want to.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2022 4:43 AM

good

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2022 4:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!