Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Parents of worker killed in tornado that hit Amazon facility are suing the company for wrongful death

(CNN)The parents of Austin McEwen, one of the six victims killed after a tornado pummeled an Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville, Illinois, last month, said Monday during a press conference that they are suing Amazon over the alleged wrongful death of their son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 10:05 AM

Every time a tech company is sued, an angel gets its wings.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 11:57 PM

Not that I have any love lost for Amazon, but are they blaming Jeff Bezos not turning on his machine that controls the weather?

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 11:58 PM

R2, workers were not allowed to leave despite storm warnings.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 12:00 AM

I think the real issue is those flimsy trailers that they house the workers and products in. Talk about cost cutting.

The truth is that Amazon knew those “structures” could not withstand tornados. So they made a calculation. The cost of being sued (not to mention dead employees) is cheaper than building safe structures.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 12:04 AM

So in other words, judgment for the plaintiff!

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 12:04 AM

I was a desk clerk at a hotel in college. I went through several tornado warnings while standing at my post. I was the only person who could directly communicate with our guests. I know I was lucky, but my home was hit by a tornado when I was fourteen years old, so I was a bit immune from the scare.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 12:57 AM

What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 9:26 AM

I have to tell you, at first the information we had was that they had an above-ground safety area that the employees went to, and I thought that maybe for once Amazon didn't do anything strictly wrong.

Then we found out that the drivers were barely able to get back in time and I had to wonder why, and a few days later we see all the texts from supervisors telling drivers they had to keep delivering, that the main Amazon authority wouldn't allow drivers to stop their routes during a tornado and seek shelter.

Then we found out those safety areas were just bathrooms, and the people who were killed were drivers who had barely gotten back to the warehouse and who ran into a bathroom for safety, just as they had been told to do.

I say they should sue Amazon into fucking oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 9:41 AM

[quote]workers were not allowed to leave despite storm warnings

You're not supposed to leave a building and go driving around when there's a tornado on the way. That's stupid. I'm sorry people here who have never lived in tornado country don't know that, but leaving the building and getting into your car isn't smart.

You can't say "the drivers should have been allowed to stop delivering and seek shelter" AND say "the employees should have been allowed to leave the building and go drive around." That's contradictory.

The problem is that the warehouse didn't actually have a safe room like they claimed, they just told people to hide in the bathrooms. IL doesn't require underground tornado shelters in workplaces so Amazon didn't strictly break the law in that detail, but I can't figure out if IL requires an interior safe room in warehouses. Even if IL doesn't require that, I would bet anything that those buildings were not up to code, they were INCREDIBLY flimsy. Plus they didn't allow drivers to stop delivering.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 9:47 AM

“You can't say "the drivers should have been allowed to stop delivering and seek shelter" AND say "the employees should have been allowed to leave the building and go drive around." That's contradictory.”

These were two different sets of people, you stupid moron.

At two different times in the storyline.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 9:59 AM

Get that money!!

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 10:00 AM

R9 is too dumb to be on the jury.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 10:02 AM

[quote]These were two different sets of people, you stupid moron.

No, they were all Amazon employees. Employees in the warehouse weren't allowed to leave, as someone already mentioned, but the drivers who were out delivering packages weren't allowed to come back.

You're trying too hard to start a fight. Go find someone else to alleviate your boredom.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2022 10:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!