Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Discuss Cheers!

Cheers premiered almost 40 years ago on September 30,1982. What are your favorite moments from this iconic show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 11:36 PM

So I am going take a controversial position. I preferred Rebecca to Diane. Diane wore on me after awhile, because it was always the same thing. Shelley Long was great at it. And maybe they dumbed the writing down when Alley arrived but I found Rebecca's calamitous loserdom hilarious. She was a fucking mess and she knew it but was constitutionally unable to do anything about it. Rebecca's comedy was broader than Diane's, which was cleverly written and well played, but it seemed one note to me past a certain point.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 9:38 PM

A really good review and analysis of the series that I just watched yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 9:39 PM

I still laugh at Lilith taking the mic in the karaoke episode.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 9:40 PM

I liked any episode involving Gary's Olde Town Tavern (rivalry with Cheers).

Preferred Diane to Rebecca.

Hate to say it, but much preferred Woody to Coach.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 9:43 PM

It was bold of them to tackle homophobia in 1983.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 9:44 PM

I hated that Gary was played by at least three different actors.

And the episode with Coach's daughter beats any 5 episodes with Woody.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 9:44 PM

The Cheers vs. Gary's episodes were hilarious! The Cheers gang finally won when Harry the Hat tricked Gary into demolishing his own bar.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 9:45 PM

Always leave them wanting more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 9:46 PM

Sam and Diane's slap fight that degenerates into nose pinching... "THERE'S NO DEGRADATION LEFT!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 9:46 PM

Nick Collasanto's acting in this scene when he realizes how much Lisa looks like her mother is a master class in acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 9:46 PM

The “Woody’s wedding” episode was brilliant — the entire episode took place in one room.

Also loved Emma Thompson as Nanny Gee.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 9:58 PM

Bowling episode.

Cheers vs. Gary's Olde Towne Tavern.

The Cheers gang finds out that Woody has bowling talent, but Woody has undisclosed bowling trauma and chokes (freezes into a bowling crouch) at the lanes.

Gary becomes insufferable.

Diane can take no more of Gary and gets down to bowling, herself. (The Cheers gang is sworn to secrecy re: Diane's plebeian bowling talent.)

Cheers finally wins vs. GOOT, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 10:02 PM

GOTT, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 10:02 PM

Call me Mary! but the final scene between Sam and Diane makes me tear up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 10:04 PM

Diane acting like a chicken (Ode to a Cornish Hen). She thinks the gang is playing a trick on her, but she is really being televised, acting like a chicken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 10:07 PM

Who would have believed that Woody Harrelson would be the break out star? I was discussing Harrelson's career with a Gen Z co-worker. They knew him from The Hunger Games and Venom but had never heard of Cheers 😮.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 10:16 PM

I vividly remember a few instances where Woody wears tight white jeans🤤

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 10:19 PM

I'll always love Cheers, though aspects of it have not aged well. Some of Sam's behavior towards women, played for laughs, feels really cringe-y now. It's like oh, withering sexual harassment -- har har!

It's also a classic example of a series that went too long, as it got more and more broad and the characters increasingly all seemed to hate each other. Should have shut it down at the end of Season 9 when Bebe Neuwirth decided to leave the full-time cast.

I find I still like to watch an episode or two of the Diane years, but have little interest anymore in revisiting the Rebecca years.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 10:32 PM

I remember Woody pre-Cheers when he and Glenn Close had an affair.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 10:35 PM

"I vividly remember a few instances where Woody wears tight white jeans"

Yes!!

Young Woody Harrelson had a nice ass!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 11:21 PM

Woody and Glenn were briefly indeed briefly an item, r19, but it wasn’t pre-Cheers. It was in the early ‘90s.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 11:31 PM

It’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing milkbone underwear

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2022 12:54 AM

Woody notoriously does not wear underwear. Which makes this cast picture intriguing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2022 12:16 PM

I ❤️ Diane Chambers.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2022 12:25 PM

^ Said no mug ever.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2022 4:40 PM

"I have to make him fall in love with me before he realizes how crazy I am."

Rebeccas' line about Tom Berringers' character.

And yes, I've used it.

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote]Woody notoriously does not wear underwear.

R23 Kelsey also enjoyed going commando on Cheers and Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2022 10:24 PM

Im more interested in Woody's dong than Kelsey's.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 10:26 PM

The Thanksgiving episode with the food fight is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 10:28 PM

Frasier was better.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2022 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!