Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Anyone Still Take Baby Aspirin Every Day?

That was a big medical fad back in the day. People took baby aspirin to prevent blood clots/heart attacks. I think people did it for about 20 or30 years.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2022 4:58 AM

No, we have special expensive pharmaceuticals for all that, now.

My mother was a nurse and claimed that if aspirin were discovered today, it would be prescription only. It’s “old-fashioned” but effective, like Epsom salts and milk of magnesia.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 8:49 PM

If you have known coronary artery disease, and you want to add some years to your life, you will take a baby aspirin a day, as studies have shown the benefits in reducing myocardial infarction. Of course, there are some contraindications and aspirin is not appropriate for all.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 8:49 PM

Daily aspirin regimen is no longer broadly recommended, as it can cause bleeding problems. In certain cases it is still recommended, but you shouldn't just start taking a baby aspirin every day just because you turned 50.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 8:49 PM

It’s bad for the tummy.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 8:51 PM

This was a big thing in the 1980s along with “doctors” warning that eating eggs caused cholesterol and was bad for you.

I always wondered if taking an aspirin a day would cause the body to eventually build up a tolerance to it and it would no longer be effective.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 8:55 PM

I have enough baby aspirin stocked up to last a life time, so yeah I am still taking it. Of course I am old so a lifetime isn't that much.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 8:58 PM

What does Epsom salts do besides go in a garden?

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 8:58 PM

After triple bypass surgery I was told to take 81 mg Aspirin daily (I guess that's the dosage of "baby aspirin"). I've been taking one, semi-religiously since November 2017. I like to believe I'm taking my "pirin" tablets (fans of "The Birdcage" will appreciate the reference).

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 9:04 PM

I'm still doing it. Am I supposed to stop? Doctor hasn't told me to. And my father died of a heart attack when he was 60.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 9:06 PM

My cardiologist told me to take a baby aspirin every day since I had a double bypass in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 9:07 PM

Why would you take medicine from a baby?

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 9:10 PM

A couple baby aspirins in a Red Bull can give you a nice buzz.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 9:12 PM

It is recommended for those with plaque in the arteries of the heart, as it has been shown in clinical trials to reduce the risk of heart attacks and death.

It is not a former "trend", it is a clinical fact that those with CAD who take aspirin will live longer than those who don't.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 9:17 PM

81 mg enteric coated every day for maybe the past 20 yrs. I read long ago it's best to take it before bed as blood thickens at night and while we sleep and strokes and heart attacks often happen in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 9:19 PM

I take epsom salt baths and I think it helps with aches

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 9:20 PM

Low-dose aspirin can apparently also help prevent blood clots in the lungs, a dangerous symptom of Covid...

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote] What does Epsom salts do besides go in a garden?’

In the old days, people used to soak their feet in Epsom salts and warm water. It helped bring down swelling.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 9:25 PM

From USA Today 10/12/21: People over the age of 60 should no longer consider taking a daily low-dose or baby aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or stroke, according to a draft recommendation issued by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Tuesday.

The announcement marks a change in the 2016 Task Force guidance that recommended aspirin therapy in certain men and women to lower cardiovascular risk. But more recent evidence suggests it also could cause harm, including bleeding in the stomach, intestines, and brain – a risk that increases with age and can be life-threatening.

The task force said people ages 40 to 59 who are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease should decide with their clinician whether to start taking aspirin. Once they turn 60, they should not start taking it because the risk of bleeding cancels the benefits of preventing heart disease.

The new recommendation only applies to people who are not already taking a daily aspirin. Doctors have long recommended daily low-dose aspirin for many patients who have had a heart attack or stroke. The task force guidance does not change that advice.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 9:27 PM

I've heard baby aspirin should be taken only if you have had a heart attack. In the past it was pretty much anyone over 50.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 9:28 PM

You should not be taking it every day.

The latest recommendation is that one baby aspirin (81mg) is too be taken every OTHER day or three times a week.

Studies show taking more, doesn't help and increases risk of bleeding in the stomach.

Studies also show taking it has NO EFFECT if you have not had a heart attack or have serious cardiovascular issues. This is WHY doctors stopped recommending it. It is only to be used after a heart attack or serious cardiovascular disease is diagnosed.

Baby aspirin should be kept by everyone because if you think you are having a heart attack, take three baby aspirins and call 911 (or your emergency number)

One baby aspirin is 81mg. One regular aspirin is 325mg. So you could buy aspirin and split it three ways to approximate a baby aspirin.

Aspirin may be taken with acetaminophen (Tylenol), but you cannot take it with NSAIDS (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). NSAIDS available over the counter are ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve) and Orudis (Canada and others). NSAIDS will interfere with the aspirin. If you take NSAIDS you should take your aspirin ONE HALF HOUR BEFORE and NSAID or wait EIGHT HOURS AFTER you take an NSAID. Aspirin is an NSAID but its mechanism is different, than orudis, naproxen or ibuprofen. There are also other NSAIDS available but those are prescription only

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 9:29 PM

My Dad was told to take low-dose aspirin after his bypass surgery.

I, however, am on high-strength warfarin as I was born with a heart defect and have metal valves and a metal aortic sleeve. Warfarin is far riskier, but I don't have a choice!

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 9:30 PM

Well, if USA Today says so…

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 9:32 PM

We used to tel people to get pigs valves instead of metal, so they wouldn’t have to go on Coumadin for the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 9:32 PM

My old boss used to repair heart valves.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 9:33 PM

Baby aspirin should be kept by everyone because if you think you are having a heart attack, take three baby aspirins and call 911 (or your emergency number)

Except most people take enteric coats baby aspirin which takes hours to take effect, so it’s pretty useless if you’re having a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 9:34 PM

They still offer that R23, but I'm in my early 30s - a pig valve will need replacing after a decade, whereas my metal valves should see me through to a natural death (fingers crossed!).

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 9:36 PM

I had a stroke 15 years ago from high blood pressure because I was a fat pig. For 14 of those years I had to take a strong blood thinner, not as strong as warfarin, but close.

Last year I talked my doctor into something less. His answer was to take two 81 mg aspirins a day. Much better. I don't bleed anymore when my parrot walks across my arm with sharp nails.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 9:38 PM

Epsom salt baths are great for sore muscles and also can lower blood pressure supposedly. For me, Epsom salt baths were the only cure for between the legs Big Sur poison oak a few years back. My dog likes to run between my legs when we play catch, so that's how that happened.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 9:39 PM

R22, would you prefer to hear it from The Washington Post, citing the same source on the same day?

After years of recommending that middle-aged and older Americans consider taking low-dose aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or stroke, an influential medical task force is planning to overhaul its guidelines, based on new studies that show that the risks may greatly reduce or cancel out the benefits.

“Our message … is if you don’t have a history of heart attack and stroke, you shouldn’t be starting on aspirin just because you reach a certain age,” said Chien-Wen Tseng, a member of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), an independent panel composed of experts in disease prevention and evidence-based medicine whose recommendations can influence medical practices and insurance coverage related to preventive measures.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 9:40 PM

Perhaps just taking your doctor’s advice is better than the University of Facebook Medical School.

Just sayin’

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote] What does Epsom salts do besides go in a garden?

People soak their feet in it. I think some people put it in their bath water. Anorexics drink it, because it's supposed to clean out your system. Maria River said her mother Marlene Dietrich would drink "gallons" it (not all at the same time)) as a weight loss aid.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 9:44 PM

I’m already on Plavix. Adding a low-dose aspirin would increase bleeding risk.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 10:18 PM

After some heart issues about 10 years ago (I was in my late 30's) I was told to take a baby aspirin every day. I believe it was not a mere "fad", there as some science behind it. But about a year or so ago my current doctor told me to stop taking it, saying there was newer research that showed it was not needed in my case.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 12:47 AM

Baby aspirin is a low dose COX-2 inhibitor, effective to prophylactically thin out your blood to prevent clots if you have a history of high blood pressure/cholesterol.

If you doctor advised you to not take it, this means you don't need it, not that the drug itself if ineffective.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 1:10 AM

Aspirin gives me nose bleeds and I don't have a clotting disorder so I gave it up. The nose bleeds just weren't worth the benefits.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 1:14 AM

I'd prefer dying in my sleep to dying while awake.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 1:20 AM

[quote]I’m already on Plavix. Adding a low-dose aspirin would increase bleeding risk.

This is what killed my Mother. Her doctor put her on Plavix and she was also taking an adult aspirin a day; it was to prevent a stroke. She wasn't at risk of a stroke, she had low blood pressure, weighed 105 pounds and had no family history of strokes. She became so anemic she fainted and was rushed to the hospital. They gave her 4 pints of blood and 2 pints of plasma. The transfusion caused a fatal heart attack. She died while still in the hospital. The only health problem she had was a low thyroid.

I will always research any medications my doctor wants to put me on. So far they have only suggested a statin, but when I looked into it and questioned the doctor she backed down and said if I developed cardiovascular problems later in life I could come back and potentially sue. So it was basically a CYA. Meanwhile, statins have side effects.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 1:35 AM

Wow, r37, why on earth would a doctor put someone on Plavix who didn’t need it? That’s a hard core blood thinner. Couple that with an adult aspirin and you have negligence. I say in all seriousness, you should sue.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 1:47 AM

I take baby aspirin just so those damn babies can't have it

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 2:02 AM

I take it on the advice of my PCP, since around 2010. It's an enteric-coated 81 mg, and it's among my night pills.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 5:05 AM

R37 I didn't know a blood transfusion could cause a heart attack. Was she given the wrong type?

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 7:20 AM

[quote]Except most people take enteric coats baby aspirin which takes hours to take effect, so it’s pretty useless if you’re having a heart attack.

Excellent point, I can't believe someone else on Datalounge can think well..

Keep one bottle of baby aspirin the kind that is chewable, on hand

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 8:23 PM

I used to love eating the St. Joseph’s baby aspirin when I was a kid. The artificial orange flavor with a hint of butter aftertaste.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 8:49 PM

^^ bitter

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 8:49 PM

We had St. Joseph's baby aspirin when I was a kid, in the pretty glass bottle, and I thought it was made by God.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 9:02 PM

We had Flinstone chewables or Chocks in a glass bottle.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 9:09 PM

R5 I remember the eggs are bad for you thing. I also remember when everyone was told that LSD ruins your chromosomes. They were so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 9:20 PM

My mother does, but ot was her doctor who recommended it to her, she also went through a heart surgery some years ago.

This is for people who have thick blood and need some blood thinning, not for the population in general.

You should never start daily drugging yourself with medicines just because you want to be "healthy".

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 9:24 PM

How could your mother not notice she was bleeding if she needed 4 units of blood? That’s massive blood loss. How often did she have blood work done? I get blood work every 3 months when I get my medications renewed. Where was she bleeding from?

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2022 1:32 AM

[quote] Excellent point, I can't believe someone else on Datalounge can think well.. Keep one bottle of baby aspirin the kind that is chewable, on hand

R42, in an emergency, one can chew the enteric tablet for instant results - I've had to do that before, on a couple of occasions - but it tastes really bitter.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2022 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!