Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bette Davis did not care for Miss Faye Dunaway!

On Johnny Carson. At the 10 minute mark, Bette let's it be known that she wouldn't work with Miss Dunaway again for a million dollars!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 4:28 PM

I will never stop loving this clip.

"I don't think we have time to go into all the reasons."

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 7:23 PM

What does champagne make him? I couldn't hear it.

And why on earth would they have shown that picture of her in Blackface? Sorry, but in 1988 we knew it was wrong.

This is a powerful statement:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 7:50 PM

R2 Wrong thread?

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 8:21 PM

Sorry, R3. I thoroughly enjoyed Bette Davis relate how Faye Dunaway was completely unprofessional and would never work with her again. Watching the interview in its entirety, it surprised me that Johnny Carson showed a picture of her in Blackface for her 70th birthday. The interview was in 1988, when she was then 79. Carson referenced her in Blackface and the audience laughed. It demonstrates that what was then deeply offensive to Black people was still laughed at by a predominantly white audience. . So, I linked to that episode of "Gimme A Break" from several years before to show that if people were listening in 1988, we knew Blackface was wrong.

I'm a huge fan of Bette Davis. Seeing her in Blackface disappoints me.

I was also struck by how horrible she looked. She was only 79 and looked twenty years older!

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 2:20 PM

R4 Well, she had suffered a massive stroke, so that accounted for her appearance.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 2:33 PM

Actually5 years earlier she'd had breast cancer, a radical mastectomy, and within 2 weeks she had 4 strokes. The strokes damaged her entire left side from the face down and slurred her speech. Intensive physical therapy helped but never returned her to her former level of function.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 2:39 PM

I think this has to be maybe the 20th thread about this clip.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 2:46 PM

OP just took this from the current (and highly recommended) Faye Dunaway thread. There are only a few dozen real DLers on here, there's no need to try to dilute the discussion by splitting the topic up into multiple threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2022 2:46 PM

I know, r7, DL is just the same things repeated over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2022 2:52 PM

R4, Bette wore all black and painted herself black in “mourning” for turning 70 years old. She also hung a black wreath on her door when party guests arrived. It had nothing to do with race.

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2022 3:04 PM

One million dollars!

by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2022 3:59 PM

R10, thanks

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2022 4:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!