Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 155

Most of my adult life I weighed in at around 140, but I admit that about two years ago my weight crept up to 160. Last summer I went on Weight Watchers and got my weight down to 145. Sadly, it crept up again and no matter what I do I can't seem to keep the last 10 pounds off. I don't eat junk, I exercise, I eat healthy most of the time and I rarely drink.

Should I accept my new weight or keep trying? Is this just normal as you age?

Male, 5'6, 46.

by Anonymousreply 115April 24, 2022 11:02 PM

Oh, and I [italic] usually [/italic] have a slim build. Usually.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 11:15 AM

Oh, honey, it's called "middle-aged spread". Welcome to the new you

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 11:21 AM

I lost 80 lbs over two years. Slim now. In 60s. Holding. Can be done.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 11:23 AM

You're getting older OP. It's just a fact of life.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 11:24 AM

Can't you just go back on Weight Watchers again? Seems like it helped the first time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 11:28 AM

If you gain weight after 40 your body resets its internal goal weight and tries to keep you at the new number.

It’s a sad situation, especially if you have a fabulous pair of Marc Jacobs slacks you bought at Loehmanns so many years s ago that used to be loose on you and now you can barely fit in and can’t bare to part with.

Welcome to middle age OP.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 11:34 AM

I like guys your size, OP.

If you’re being rough on yourself, just keep your shoulders broader than your waist - six pack not necessary, and do squats to firm up that luscious round ass.

Add a bit of V to your back with some lats.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 11:41 AM

I'm 6'0" and weigh 155. I'm 48. But, my body has changed over the years in subtle ways. In just the last three months, I've noticed I can't eat what I want without more noticeable consequences. I went up to 162, which was weird. I was that weight before, but it was muscle (back when I had a trainer). And, then, I couldn't get back down to155 so easily. I finally managed to do it. But, I've also accepted to some degree that my body can't look a certain way (even if I hire a trainer). But, my main thing is how I feel. As long as feel light on my feet and not heavy, that's all that matters. I do a lot of walking (work days I try to do at least 6km; and then once a week I try to do a massive bushwalk, like 20 - 35km).

I ate a whole pizza yesterday (I was out with friends and too much food was ordered, it was really good, and I didn't want it to go to waste, so I let it go to my waist!). Today, I wasn't really hungry from all that cheese and bread crust. I drank 1.5 litres of water in the AM and didn't eat my lunch salad until about 1 PM (I wasn't hungry). I snacked on some grapes and pistachios when I got home (and chocolate). Oh, and I had some dessert wine that was a gift. Tomorrow, another salad. And then the day after that, etc. More snacking on grapes and carrots. Friday, out with friends again (who knows what I'll eat!). It's a balancing act. I say you shoot for feeling light on your feet. But, if that's not your bag, shoot for 150, instead of 145. Try to eat earlier in the day and not after 6 PM. Drink more water. Snack on veggies. Eat a lot of nuts and avocados. Cook with coconut oil. Eat a lot of salads. Avoid pasta and cheese. That's my advice. I hope you can use something out of it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 11:44 AM

Ketogenic diet.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 11:45 AM

R6 hit the nail on the head! I'm 41, 5'6", and have crept up to 195 lbs. (I went right above 200 lbs during lockdown and freaked out.) The weight hits differently for us petite guys. Would I like to be 125 lbs soaking wet again? Sure, and I was 125 just x4 years ago. If I put my mind and diet to it, I could make it happen. I'd be happy with 160 or so at this point, though. I've never lied about my age or height on the apps (shocker!), and so that narrows down the playing field of interested gentleman callers.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 11:46 AM

Try intermittent fasting. Only eat between noon and 8 pm. It really works and you get quite used to it.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 11:49 AM

I agree R11 and it has health and anti-aging benefits that go far beyond weight loss, but remember that most DLers are in the "melba toast. cottage cheese and grapefruit, avoid fat" mindset of the 1970s or 80s.

As for you Petit OP, I wouldn't worry that much about what your scale says but more practical matters: are your clothes too tight? Do you feel unhappy when you look in the mirror?

If yes, then you should try and lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 11:57 AM

My wife has done intermittent fasting for the past 25 years (three days a week less than 800 calorie days with no dinner) and it has worked very well for her.

I wish it were something I could do, but I’d get far too hangry for it to be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 12:01 PM

If you can do the 16-8 thing for about a month ElderLez (eat during an 8-hour window) your body will adapt--may take even less time.

Caffeine helps and just having lots of beverages -- herbal tea (both iced and hot) and water or flavored seltzer.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 12:06 PM

Oh honey, I'd be more concerned by your dwarfism.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 12:08 PM

Thanks R14! I’d only need to give up breakfast in that case which isn’t much and honestly I’m not that hungry in the morning. Maybe the slacks can stay.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 12:34 PM

Where’s my shake?!

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 12:56 PM

[quote]water or flavored seltzer.

The flavored seltzer has helped me a lot with the intermittent fasting. It's almost like having a Sprite.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 1:01 PM

I'm old now, the weight thing is diabolical. Thin my whole life, now I have to constantly restrict to stay adequately slim (which would once have been my "fat" weight back in the day). I often muse about the days of not thinking about what I ate. Today I find the key is to avoid alcohol - alas.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 1:23 PM

R14 A friend of mine has had great success with that approach fwiw. I don't think I could do it, I get up too early and I like breakfast too much.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 1:24 PM

You could do it the other way R20 -- eat from say 7am to 3pm.

That would be hard if you are social and often go out to dinner/dinner parties, but if you are working from home most days, it could work.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 1:29 PM

R21 I usually eat dinner around 5, and then I'm done. I find it helps with sleep. It's hard in social situations though, most people like to eat much later.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 1:33 PM

The next step from IF is OMAD, or One Meal A Day--you basically eat in a two-hour window.

I've tried it a few times and in some ways it is easier than IF in that you know you have two hours to eat and so I wind up getting very full and then not hungry the rest of the day. (I've done it from 1-3pm) Trick is to eat healthy but filling foods, so nuts, eggs, brussels sprouts, broccoli, meat. What I would do is have breakfast food during hour one and then lunch/dinner good hour two.

The problem of course is that it's easy enough to do something like that during lockdown when you are not going out or even going to the office. Much harder and impractical when you are back to your normal routine

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 1:38 PM

There is always the Ann Miller Six Egg Diet.

Jokes aside, 155 is a reasonably healthy weight for your height.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 1:47 PM

Its more difficult to maintain a weight as a smaller person. 5 pounds is a big deal on my frame, when you compare to a taller person who probably would notice little change. I have realized that I can can only eat half of what a guy who is 6'0 or above can eat if I don't want to gain weight. Most portions of American food are too big by default as well. I don't want to live on Kelly Ripa diet, fasting works better for me.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 2:02 PM

Healthy Keto is your answer.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 5:34 PM

155 is NOT a reasonably healthy weight for someone 5'6". 175 is the borderline of overweight for someone who is 5'10".

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 5:43 PM

Thanks guys. I'll keep working, but somehow I doubt I'll be able to maintain 140 again.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 8:02 PM

Check out Dr Eric Berg on how the Ketogenic Diet works

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 8:08 PM

How hard is Keto for vegetarians?

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 8:10 PM

The next step would obviously be weight loss surgery, OP

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 8:12 PM

OP Keto diet can work for you as a vegan so long term if you follow a "heath keto". For example avocado is considered a healthy fat, and you need to learn which nuts to eat and which to avoid.. I was a vegan who went keto in 2021 and decided to add healthy fish to my diet, such as salmon, to get better nutrition and healthy fats (omega 3) and avoid the bad fats (omega 6) that come from seed and nut oils. I lost 23 pounds in 6 months. Dr Berg has literally dozens of videos the educate yourself with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 8:21 PM

To clarify R32

onsider avoiding the following plant oils due to their high omega-6 contents:

soybean oil

corn oil

cottonseed oil

sunflower oil

peanut oil

sesame oil

rice bran oil

TL;DR - Use olive oil or avocado oil

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 9:06 PM

Thank you, R33.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 11:25 PM

R29 Freaking love the keto diet. I want to do it again so badly but I started weight training with a trainer and it really does make a difference when you aren’t eating carbohydrates. I think I am going to give it another go as it is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 2:03 AM

OP, dear. You're aging.

Exercise more, eat less, and look like an emphysemic wraith, or embrace your widening and keep healthy.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 2:07 AM

The quality of the food you eat is just as important as what you eat. If you eat clean, nutritious food you will be less hungry. Avoid processed food, always read the ingredients on a package, try to buy organic or at least Non-GMO whenever possible.

You biggest meals of the day should be breakfast and lunch. Dinner should be a light snack. Avoid any sugars. Buy organic Stevia or Monkfruit to use as sweetener in you coffee.

Change your bread for starters. Never eat white or even whole wheat bread, they are super processed and they have to add synthetic vitamins to enrich it so that it's not completely devoid of nutrients . Eat only whole grain bread that is lower carbs and higher in fiber count. Dave's Killer Bread for instance is one of the best breads out there (PowerSeed or 21 Whole Grains your the best options).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 2:28 AM

Does the extra weight help fill out wrinkles on your face? If so, I’d not lose too much because you might look more aged in the face.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 2:32 AM

The majority of DL residents, who are rocking 300 lbs, can hardly comprehend your weight issue, OP.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 2:42 AM

R37, I rarely eat bread, I may buy a loaf of bread once every few months, and I never buy white or whole wheat.

My typical breakfast includes a coffee, some fruit, and a small bowl of yogurt. Lunch is water, a salad with a low cal vinaigrette dressing, coffee, perhaps some raw vegetables like carrots or snap peas. I eat dinner early most of time and is often homemade vegetarian curry or stir-fry, zucchini or spaghetti squash noodles with spices instead of sauce etc... Once in awhile I'll have on something like a veggie burger, always without a bun and pair it with something like roasted brussels sprouts or asparagus. I do allow myself to have the odd indulgence on less healthy things like samosas or falafels, but that's rare - maybe once or twice a month. I never drink soft drinks, and booze is a handful of times a year. For a mid-evening snack I'll have something such as a bowl of oatmeal, almonds, or fruit and/or raw vegetables if I have to use some up.

I really don't know what else I can cut since I eat fairly clean already. I could cut out veggie burgers and samosas, but are they really affecting me that much since I don't have junk food like that often?

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 2:51 AM

have you tried lifts in your shoes

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 2:53 AM

Eat three almonds and three lettuce leaves a day like we do!

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 2:59 AM

OP/R40, I am going to give you some unwanted advice that might make you even heavier, but you’ll be healthier.

Please use regular vinaigrette on your salad at lunch. So many nutrients are fat soluble and by eating them without fat you aren’t absorbing them. Better to be a little heavier and well nourished than skinny and malnourished.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 10:01 AM

OP What oils do you use for stir-fry? Peanut, sunflower? Use Avocado oil. Be sure it's pure and not a blend. Eat your dinner as early as possible. Do not engage in mid evening snacks, that alone can sabotage your ability to lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 10:26 AM

R27, actually 155 is within the healthy weight range for 5’6 - it’s just at the high end of it. Having done the diet and fasting route when I was in a similar situation, I’d say beware the rebound effect/becoming heavier after your diet than you were before you started. If OP isn’t eating much already, the best solution is to increase exercise and build muscle. There’s no medical need to lose weight, just to keep it from increasing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 10:37 AM

OP-- I am not seeing a whole lot of protein in your diet? Do you eat fish? chicken? eggs?

Where do you get your protein from?

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 12:37 PM

LOL

"Ideal body weight" is one of the most meaningless stats as it does not take into account muscle.

Someone who is 180 lbs with a muscular build and little body fat is going to look very different than someone who is pure flab at that same height and weight.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 12:40 PM

Hmm I know someone about same height who weighs about 140 and he is always complaining about being skinny. He does look quite tiny. He got up to the mid-150s during the pandemic and looked really “solid,” but was aghast that it was mostly fat and lost it. He’d look great with 20 or 30 pounds of muscle, but 170 on the scale would mean he’s “fat”?

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 1:06 PM

I'm considered obese at my height of 5'9/5'10 and 225 pounds. However, I do have a good percentage of muscle, it's not all fat...

Accordingly, I'm suppose to be around 175 or so for my height? IF I lost 50 pounds I would be dead! These charts never ever take into bone structure, body frame and muscle mass.

SO I think ditch the scale and use your mirror instead.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 1:24 PM

I used to eat whatever I wanted, OP, and I was naturally thin. My metabolism was off the charts. My brother was the opposite and used to marvel at what I could eat and not gain weight. I was also far more active when I was younger. A desk job and aging slowed my metabolism. I am an avid walker when the weather is nicer. I am pretty active in that sense for three of the four seasons. But I'm pretty inactive in the winter.

As I aged, my metabolism got slower and slower compared to my youth, which is of course natural. My mother, who always had been thin, warned me that was coming. I'm 5'8 and up through my mid-30s I weight between 140 to 145 lbs. I never worried about a 5 pound fluctuation as it was usually added in the winter and then it would drop in the summer. As I got older, I started to gain more weight. I noticed alcohol would put on a lot of weight, so I restricted it to low carb beer, which I hated. Over the years, I went from 145 to 150 to 155 and so on up to 185 about two years ago. Then during the pandemic I added another 8 lbs to that. I felt bloated and awful with constant GI issues at age 53.

I actually started the ketogenic diet about 9 months ago when looking up what diet could help reduce bloating and GI problems. I do a modified Mediterranean version of it. In two days my GI issues disappeared and I've lost 32-33 lbs (on keto you usually fluctuate between anywhere from 2-4 lbs but the weight loss eventually sticks and you go down another level then fluctuate again at the new level). I feel so much better.

OP, you don't have nearly as much to lose. I think you'd lose it pretty quickly. I lost about 13 lbs in 4-5 weeks of starting keto.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2022 1:56 PM

R46, I get protein from eggs on occasion but mainly from lentils, beans, peas, oatmeal, and nuts.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2022 7:31 PM

R44, yes, I use avocado oil.

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2022 7:33 PM

[quote]Stevia or Monkfruit to use as sweetener in you coffee.

I wish stevia tasted good in coffee, but it just doesn't for me. With tea it is great, but coffee, it just doesn't work. I use a bit of sweet creamer and no sugar. Maybe I will try monkfruit

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2022 11:39 PM

OP Monkfruit does go better with coffee than stevia, I use either.

Another tip, do not eat raw spinach on keto diet, it is very high in phytic acids and oxylates, which hinders the absorption of other minerals and will kick you out of ketosis. Cook your spinach instead, preferably saute them in a little olive oil, it will reduce the oxylates by 80-90%.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2022 12:23 AM

I went back on Weight Watchers and lost four lbs. However....I had a little plate of tortilla chips tonight so I'll probably pay for that tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2022 3:47 AM

OP- You're a classic POCKET GAY.

I like slim smaller guys.

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2022 3:56 AM

I was 115 when I started college and maybe 120 on graduation day. I’m 5’10” and think those weights looked fine on a very young, small-framed man, but didn’t want to be that thin after 25.

I started strength training and eating lots of protein, and got up to 165 pounds, my current weight.

For me, getting bigger made me feel more masculine and sexier (I got a bubble bum in the process). At this point, significant weight loss would make my face look older and more tired, too.

My advice would be to exercise regularly, eat nutritious food, and not worry too much about the number on the scale as long as you’re in the healthy range for your height and frame size.

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2022 4:37 AM

Surgery. Liposuction on the stomach and hips, bum lift, tit lift, lose a rib.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2022 5:52 AM

No sugar, no bread. No pasta. SWEAT more, don't just exercise, and mix up your "routines." From the way you type, I can tell you have a lot of routines.

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2022 6:44 AM

I think too have a good body and be able to eat relatively normally (pasta, bread, dessert, wine - in low moderation), you need to hit the gym 5-6 days a week for about 1 hr. I think to have a fantastic body, I would do the same thing but add in R59 suggestions plus be on a very detailed and custom eating program. I like to feel good, feel hot shirtless at the beach or party, but I also don't need to have the hottest body in the room. Enjoying good food and drink in moderation is a pleasure in life to me. 155 @ 5'6 is heavy. I'm 175 at almost 6'2. 180 is the the danger zone of clothes not fitting and 185 is dad bod territory. 188 was my peak fatness during quarantine, but lost it once the gyms opened back up.

Also, think lifestyle instead of goal. Fluctuating weight = bad. Try to figure out your maintenance weight and then just adapt a lifestyle that support it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2022 5:41 PM

[Quote] From the way you type, I can tell you have a lot of routines.

What do you mean, R59?

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2022 6:02 PM

[quote] I get protein from eggs on occasion but mainly from lentils, beans, peas, oatmeal, and nuts.

And cum, darling. Don't forget cum.

by Anonymousreply 62January 26, 2022 12:18 PM

Sigh, the "welcome to middle age - nothing you can do" is not true. However, it won't be as easy as your 20s/30s. I lost all my extra weight (37 lbs) when I found out I was prediabetic and reduced my sugar intake - significantly. No/low sugar led to less cravings and reduced appetite which led to less calories and weight loss. It reversed my prediabetes also. Now, I have a dessert on vacation or major holidays only and I have kept the weight off easily for 5 years. I still enjoy my weekly Thai and wine, but no extra. However, you have to be willing to make changes that work for you and stick to them. Male, Age 52, 5'10", 158 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 63January 26, 2022 12:57 PM

Yes, tubby, just buy lots of clothes with spandex to contain your abundance of blubber.

by Anonymousreply 64January 26, 2022 12:59 PM

Go back on Weight Watchers but this time when you reach your goal weight instead of quitting, stay on a maintenance diet. Check with your health insurance provider; they may actually pay for the monthly WW fee (mine did, which I discovered only after I'd paid myself for five months).

If you go back to eating the way you did when you gained the weight, of course you'll gain weight again. You need to not just change your eating but maintain those changes in order to maintain your weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 65January 26, 2022 1:01 PM

After three weeks on the 8 hour a day food window diet I lost 0 pounds, I went off it for a week and dropped two pounds - very odd, but I only need to lose four more pounds to get to the weight I want so my fingers are crossed.

by Anonymousreply 66February 27, 2022 12:08 PM

The stress of worrying about that excess 10 pounds is worse for your health than carrying around the 10 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 67February 27, 2022 12:11 PM

OP, you sound quite healthy from all your posts here. If the issue is purely annoyance with the number on the scale, I think you’d do better to throw it out (against the prevailing wisdom on DL). If you aren’t feeling quite right, it would be worth talking to a nutritionist.

I’ve had IF and low carb work for me over the years, but as someone above said, eating that way has made it tougher for me to get the kind of aerobic exercise I like (an hour of swimming). And if I’m focused on my swimming, I then eat like a horse, or more like a pig, scarfing down everything in sight. It’s all a balance!

by Anonymousreply 68February 27, 2022 12:28 PM

Its *always* possible to lose more weight.

by Anonymousreply 69February 27, 2022 12:31 PM

Don't accept it or you'll be moving the goalpost for the rest of your life. You really have to be more conscious about what you are eating. Your metabolism has slowed down. You cannot eat the way you used to. The key is a better diet, not more exercise. As long as you are doing a decent amount of exercise you should be fine. Plan your meals and be very aware when you stray from the plan so you can reduce the strays.

If you don't get a handle on it you will eventually be typing fat like most of these heifers on DL.

by Anonymousreply 70February 27, 2022 12:32 PM

One thing I'll say watch the sugar intake. It is added to everything.

by Anonymousreply 71February 27, 2022 12:37 PM

Weight is a really inaccurate goal OP as it varies depending on your most recent eating or not eating (by recent I mean within the last 24 hours)

What is your waist size? Are your clothes tighter than they were? Is there a belt that you now have to use a different hole for? That sort of thing is more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2022 12:38 PM

I feel like we are twins OP. I fall somewhere between you and r10 weight wise. I think weight goals are very personal and should be relatively only to your previous weight. I will admit it, I am 5'5", I usually say 5'6", ha. It's like the difference of saying you're 38 vs. 41. Anyway I reached my highest weight after quarantine from too much drinking and not enough at home weight training of 176lbs. I remember in my 20s thinking 140 was the limit. Then in my 30s 150 was the fattest I could ever let myself get. Then I hit 160 in my early 40s before covid and this year I turned 46 and hit 175lbs on the scale. For my height, I have a well proportioned muscular frame, chest, strong core, strong legs and I carry my extra weight well. It's just my clothes don't fit like they did before and I refuse to buy new stuff.

So as a poster said above, part of it IS getting older and your body changing. I would never want to get back to 145lbs again. I think I would look sick at that weight - personally. But 155lbs would be fine for me. I started IF a couple of months back. I have coffee in the morning with a teaspoon of butter, which helps with any cravings. I even go to the gym during this time and train, which is odd to me. I thought I would be hangry, lethargic. But when I am done at the gym, I feel like I have more energy. If I was slightly hungry before, I am not after. But I do have my first meal of the day after I get home from my workout. I around 2pm and my last meal is around 9pm because I eat late. I have lost about 8 lbs and I am down to 168 now.

You have to know what works for you and what your body responds to. For me weight training has always been the key, and especially my legs. I don't have to train hard on everything. But because of my build, my legs have always been the engine for burning fat, and overall health. I work my legs harder, building muscle and toning them, and the weight just melts off. My goal is to be at 155 for my 47th birthday in May.

by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2022 12:56 PM

Eh? That’s not even heavy OP. It’s not concerning for an adult man to be just over 10 stone ffs.

As a younger woman I’m about your height and seem to settle at about 150lbs too. I’m not skinny but I’m certainly not fat either (think a few of those lbs are in the titmeat tbh).

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2022 1:06 PM

Titmeat? OMFG you vulgar cunt. Get your black ass off the DL.

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2022 1:08 PM

OP, I vote that you eat whatever you want, and find a boyfriend who likes chubby guys. Lots of guys do, you’ll be happier.

by Anonymousreply 76February 27, 2022 1:33 PM

OP, start hanging around fat people. You'll instantly feel thin by comparison.

But if the fat gets you down, drink more wine. It solves everything.

by Anonymousreply 77February 27, 2022 1:33 PM

R75 Racebaiting makes you sound insane babes...

And anyway I’m the same colour as magnolia paint you clown. Only melanin visible on my body is one tiny mole. Can’t even troll with any accuracy or relevancy, can ya?

by Anonymousreply 78February 27, 2022 1:40 PM

[Quote]OMFG you vulgar cunt. Get your black ass off the DL.

The vulgar cunt is you! That was a tasteless and racist comment. You deserve to be a fatty.

by Anonymousreply 79February 27, 2022 1:57 PM

You are a man, you need muscle; you can't lose weight like a woman, eating a diet of glorified birdseed and only doing occasional bursts of cardio (I'm going out on a limb and assuming you've never done a bench press or squat in your life). Eat more protein and lift weights and you will look better.

by Anonymousreply 80February 27, 2022 2:06 PM

OP don't take this the wrong way, but chubby people are just not attractive. You must lose this weight. You don't need a six pack, but at least not chubs.

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2022 2:11 PM

You're pleasingly plump OP. If you're hairless and pasty and have childbearing hips, give me an inbox.

by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2022 2:32 PM

OP I'm 5'4" and before I quit drinking, I weighed 180lbs at full bloat. My BMI (think what you will of it) was 29, and by the numbers I was essentially obese.

After I dropped booze, I did nothing else for two months just to see what would happen. I lost twelve pounds. That isn't a lot if one is actively trying to lose weight (in fact, I'd call it a fail, in an able-bodied individual like myself), but I did nothing else but avoid booze. I've since added more exercise (on top of walking everywhere anyway), and have consistently planned and prepped my low carb (not keto) snacks and meals. I'm continuing to lose weight. I'm becoming genuinely excited about life again for the first time in years.

As an added bomus: I recently took my blood pressure and for the first time in recent memory, it registered in the "normal" range. I'm hoping when I see my doctor again, that he'll remove me from that medication. Additional weight loss will only improve my blood pressure, and increase my energy levels. I'm not looking to run a marathon, but I can't wait to wake up without feeling lethargic.

I don't think I'll have a huge problem keeping it off once it's gone. But time will undoubtedly tell.

by Anonymousreply 83February 27, 2022 2:37 PM

Good sensible post ^ keep going and good luck!

by Anonymousreply 84February 27, 2022 2:43 PM

R78 Whatever, black ass. Just STFU.

by Anonymousreply 85February 27, 2022 2:52 PM

It's funny, my friend is skinny BECAUSE he drinks. He drinks so much he forgets to eat.

by Anonymousreply 86February 27, 2022 3:11 PM

R86 Smokers are also often the same way.

by Anonymousreply 87February 27, 2022 3:26 PM

Months back someone on DL mentioned just giving up sugar will cause you to drop the pounds. I did and i lost about 15 pounds pretty quickly. I still have 20 pounds to go.

by Anonymousreply 88February 27, 2022 3:27 PM

[quote] "It's funny, my friend is skinny BECAUSE he drinks. He drinks so much he forgets to eat."

I had an uncle who was the hardest drinker I've ever known. It killed him, in fact. He was always rail thin. Almost sickly skinny. I don't know what his eating habits were, but he stayed very thin his entire adult life.

It was probably a good thing that booze bloated me the way I did, because while it wasn't the only reason, it played an immemse part in my decision to quit.

by Anonymousreply 89February 27, 2022 3:28 PM

Why are there so many Little People on DL?

Is there a correlation between that and homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 90February 27, 2022 4:11 PM

OP, I went to a plant based-diet around age 55 ten years later my BMI is 19.5

by Anonymousreply 91February 27, 2022 4:15 PM

I need help with this too. I feel like since I entered my 40s it has become ten times harder.

by Anonymousreply 92February 27, 2022 4:26 PM

R90, We exist, We are here and We have found each other.

by Anonymousreply 93February 27, 2022 5:42 PM

Yep R88! That one change is all it takes, but people prefer all the other more complicated advice. So, they do it the hard way, if at all...

by Anonymousreply 94March 1, 2022 2:42 AM

In 4 sentences you mention "I" 10 times. That's your problem, Princess.

by Anonymousreply 95March 1, 2022 2:50 AM

I've lost about six pounds since this was posted but now I'm stuck! The rest of the weight just isn't coming off!

by Anonymousreply 96April 24, 2022 3:08 AM

Stop drinking and stop being in online forums. Eat protein, don't eat carbs, that includes liquor.

It's not a mystery why you're chubby, OP. There's not a grail with the super special secret written in a tomb.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Eat some roughage and stop drinking. You won't do either of those things and you'll have another "why am I fat" thread within the week.

by Anonymousreply 97April 24, 2022 3:15 AM

I don't drink, R97!

by Anonymousreply 98April 24, 2022 3:20 AM

I'm 6'2" with a linebacker's body. I am so grateful for this. I'm at a great weight for me now (195), but I gained about thirty pounds during Covid and most people couldn't really tell. Bigger frames just hide everything.

OP please don't fret over five pounds. It's actually a turnoff. Lose it or don't. But don't make it a big deal. (I'm talking about in real life. Totally okay to fret on DL!)

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2022 3:25 AM

Also, don't count on the heartless bitches of DL for sympathy or useful advice. Talk to an actual doctor about it if you are concerned.

by Anonymousreply 100April 24, 2022 3:26 AM

R98, lol, that's all you read

by Anonymousreply 101April 24, 2022 3:28 AM

nothing tastes as good as skinny feels

by Anonymousreply 102April 24, 2022 3:40 AM

How does one go about "eliminating sugar"...sweet foods are truly the most enjoyable things to eat, I just don't understand how people can live without sugar.

by Anonymousreply 103April 24, 2022 4:26 AM

You sound cute, R99.

by Anonymousreply 104April 24, 2022 4:28 AM

No, it shouldn't be creeping up at 46. I am 66 and THATS when it started. I eat the same, do the gym regularly and I still gained 10 lbs in the last 6 yr

by Anonymousreply 105April 24, 2022 4:35 AM

R63 Can you share more about your no sugar/health plan? I was recently diagnosed pre-diabetic as well. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 106April 24, 2022 5:05 AM

I’ve eaten snacks that weigh more than 145 pounds!

by Anonymousreply 107April 24, 2022 5:23 AM

[quote] "The weight hits differently for us petite guys."

Seriously. I gain five, and it looks like ten. When I lose weight though...it doesn't take as much to begin seeing results. I lost fifteen pounds after I completely cut alcohol at the beginning of December. That was great, but I want to get down to 130lbs. I have thirty-five to lose. And now I'm actually going to have to work for it. Bring it on! I eat less & lighter in summer anyway, and am pretty active.

by Anonymousreply 108April 24, 2022 5:57 AM

Genetics play a part. My dad eats like a pig and is skinny. My mom ate broiled cod, sliced tomatoes and cottage cheese. She had a cheat day once a week of a light beer. Yet, like me, FAT WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 109April 24, 2022 6:08 AM

Heh I was actually wondering if this was a humble-brag/troll post. I'm 160lb and the same height and I'd LOVE to be 155lb. I do 30 pull-ups as part of my workout every other night and can see my top 4 abdominal muscles so I was kinda hoping that I'd have a six pack at 155...

by Anonymousreply 110April 24, 2022 1:13 PM

You probably have a different build, R110.

by Anonymousreply 111April 24, 2022 8:20 PM

You all should focus less on weight and more on how your clothes fit which is a better indicationo

Stop eating Frankenfoods (Halo Top Ice Cream) and try and only eat non-processed foods.

Cut back on sugar -- plain unsweetened yogurt, not vanilla yogurt which is loaded with sugar

Try and eat raw fermented food- it is great for gut health (sauerkraut, kim chee)

Time restricted eating/intermittent fasting is helpful

Just eat less overall--your body doesn't need it.

Incorporate strength training into your routines along with stretching -- both are as important for people over 60 as cardio (which is still important,)

by Anonymousreply 112April 24, 2022 8:50 PM

The ingredient list on Halo Top ice cream is terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 113April 24, 2022 9:01 PM

Are you happy? Nothing else matters.

by Anonymousreply 114April 24, 2022 9:11 PM

Dieticians on TikTok urge “stop dieting!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 24, 2022 11:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!