Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anders Behring Breivik is up for parole

I'm appalled he only got 21 years. They are too lenient. Apparently, he's shown no remorse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2022 6:50 PM

Why don't they get their shit together and find him dead in his cell.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 10:27 AM

This guy is clearly deranged and should never be allowed his freedom again.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 10:31 AM

He should have been put to death. And I hope his parole hearings keep getting turned down for the rest of his sick life!

Better yet I hope he offs himself or someone does it for him.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 11:10 AM

21 yrs for killing 70 people???

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 11:15 AM

That's a typical western European sentence. I guess their violent crime rate is so low they don't realize what kind of demon they're dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 11:23 AM

He won't be released, but the parole board intends to gift him a brand new PS5 so he doesn't feel his time was wasted.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 11:30 AM

I believe 21 years is the maximum prison sentence in Norway. They have a much more enlightened approach to incarceration than America does.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 1:20 PM

He's a hero to magats here.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 1:22 PM

R7 is trying to stir up anger with his "enlightened" comment.

Any justice system needs an extreme punishment option for the rare cases of extreme cases like this.

Breivik is only 42 and has only 11 years left on his sentence, and shows absolutely no remorse for his politically motivated terrorist massacre. He'll be 53 when he gets out and he'll do it again.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 1:30 PM

Their prisons are like bed and breakfasts.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 1:34 PM

[quote] They have a much more enlightened approach to incarceration than America does.

You mean pro-murderer approach. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 1:35 PM

U.S. mass shooters usually off themselves.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 1:37 PM

The cops couldn't even send a helicopter or boat to save those kids because they were all on summer vacation and there was no coverage plan.

And the leader of youth labor jumped on the first boat that showed up to get off the island, leaving his friends to die.

Now they're going to let this animal out? Some kind of enlightenment, Norway.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 1:38 PM

He won’t get parole.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 1:46 PM

Will he continue posting on DL?

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 1:58 PM

How's his dick? Is it big and juicy?

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 2:02 PM

They aren't enlightened, they're naive and dumb. He killed 70 people and is probably living a fairly nice life behind bars due to their "enlightenment". If he has not expressed any remorse he needs to stay in until he's dead but he sounds like a stone cold psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 3:17 PM

What's the recidivism rate for ex-convicts in Norway? It's 76% in the USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 3:31 PM

I know we have some Norwegians who post here. What do you guys think and what's the talk there?

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 3:42 PM

ABOLISH PRISONS AND DEFUND THE POLICE! Carceral feminism is the enemy of progress.

We need to increase funding for mental health services to men like Breivik are supported and nurtured and have someone to talk to and get therapy when they want to go and mass murder people.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 4:09 PM

Preach r18! I love it when posters totally ignorant of any facts, history, or experience, completely criticize, judge, and demonize how another country approaches justice.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 4:17 PM

Has Trump tried to extradite him to go golfing with him at Mar-a-Largo yet?

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 4:17 PM

They should release him to your neighborhood, R20.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 4:18 PM

If Norwegians feel like it's safe to release him, good luck to them.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 4:19 PM

R18, the difference is this guy is an unrepentant right wing mass murderer. This isn't your neighborhood prostitute or dealer.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 4:20 PM

He's got dead eyes.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 4:20 PM

I don’t think he should ever get out. Even a year for every murder would do. It’s an insult to the victims’ and their families if this bastard is released.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 4:23 PM

He's not remorseful at all, apparently

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 4:24 PM

[quote]He'll be 53 when he gets out and he'll do it again.

[quote]Now they're going to let this animal out? Some kind of enlightenment, Norway.

[quote]If Norwegians feel like it's safe to release him, good luck to them.

The only thing on this thread that's jaw dropping is the number of posters who think he'll ever see the light of day again.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 4:30 PM

Explain how he won't be released when his 21-year sentence ends, r29. Seriously, explain it to me, I'd like to know.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 4:32 PM

He has been imprisoned with a clause that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered dangerous and there is no chance that he will be let out on parole. As he shows no remorse he will likely never be free again. This type of clause exists for these types of cases.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 4:34 PM

[quote]In 2012 Breivik was handed the maximum 21-year sentence with a clause — rarely used in the Norwegian justice system — that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered a danger to society. It is this clause that means he can demand a parole hearing after 10 years. And while this likely means a lifelong sentence, it also opens the possibility that Breivik can demand annual parole hearings where he can broadcast his views, says Johnsen.

I don't know if anyone else saw this, I had to click "read more" on OP's article before I saw it, but r31's comment alerted me to this clause so I went looking.

That's actually good news and I'm glad to hear about this clause.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 4:40 PM

[Quote]He has been imprisoned with a clause that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered dangerous

Thank you, r31. I was wondering how extraordinary cases were treated. I now wonder if people like him are eventually released, if there's a type of monitoring program, or registry, that would permanently keep tabs on them.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 4:40 PM

R7, R18 First, recidivism is commonly measured by a return to prison for the same crime, violation of parole (technical or new charge) within 3 years of release. Researchers with a particular end goal like to skew the time from release. That drops the rate to about 50% returning to prison. In my state it’s about 60%-66%. This does not count misdemeanor offenses or spending time in a jail. Second, our Norwegian mass murderer has a serious problem in that he wants to murder folks based on serious neo-nazi sympathies. He should have been given life without parole and some intense psychotherapy. Third, no amount of job training, education or dialectical behavior training will change his desire to murder people. And lastly incarceration has another purpose, to fulfill satisfaction for a crime. Satisfaction being the sentence imposed by the state on behalf of a victims and relatives. 21 years is less than 1 year per murdered person. Norway kind of said, “each murdered persons life is worth around .27 years, but it’s sentences being served consecutively.” That they can hold him indefinitely is dangerous, it leaves it to the prison system to determine what is best for society, which is not what prison systems are for, that is for the courts.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 4:44 PM

[quote]Will he continue posting on DL?

I seriously think it's possible he posts here (or has posted here). He has full internet access and perfectly good English, if I remember correctly, plus I believe he's gay. And we get plenty of creepy right-wing posts here (mostly anti-Muslim, right up his alley).

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2022 5:12 PM

He has a computer but without internet access, R35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2022 5:16 PM

His mother was a diplomat. Years ago I worked with a son of a diplomat and he was a nasty right winger prone to racial slurs. It's funny how someone raised in a relatively open minded environment could turn out that way.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2022 5:19 PM

If he does get out could he possibly come here if allowed?

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2022 5:21 PM

I doubt he would ever get a visa for the US.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2022 5:22 PM

R37, Susan Rice’s son is very right-wing and pro-Trump. Maybe it’s just rebellion. (Note, I’m not comparing regular Alex P. Keatons to this mass murderer, he’s a different beast altogether.)

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2022 5:23 PM

r35 well, as long he throws in someothing about freeing palestine, it should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2022 5:40 PM

21 years is the maximum initial sentence but it can be extended when the time comes.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2022 5:43 PM

Oh that sucker will pay dearly for what he did just like all the other hate filled creatures that walk this earth.

Karma is a real bitch when you fuck with her long enough.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2022 5:49 PM

[quote]I seriously think it's possible he posts here (or has posted here). He has full internet access and perfectly good English, if I remember correctly, plus I believe he's gay. And we get plenty of creepy right-wing posts here (mostly anti-Muslim, right up his alley).

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I seriously don't understand how R35 could be so naïve.

Why would Breivik be given full internet access???

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2022 6:05 PM

[quote]Why would Breivik be given full internet access???

I looked it up and it turns out R44 is correct, I was wrong. He has a computer but no Internet access. He appealed his sentence to the European Court of Human Rights saying that being deprived of Internet access (among other things) was inhumane treatment, and I was thinking he won that case, but he lost.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2022 6:15 PM

Oh, great...So we'll have another weekend troll if he's granted Internet access...

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2022 10:45 PM

^The absolute cheek of this cretin wanting internet access like he deserves it..🙄

Oh his day in hell can’t come fast enough!!!

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 12:56 AM

I think his father worked in diplomacy, not his mother. I read an article about her and his childhood and let’s just say I’m surprised he turned out as well as he did.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 1:55 AM

R43 No such thing, dear.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 1:58 AM

As expected, his request for parole has been denied

[italic]"There is a clear risk that (Breivik) will return to the behaviour that led to the July 22 terrorist attacks," the Telemark District Court ruled, rejecting the request for release.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 1, 2022 6:21 PM

It's 21 years and it can be extended indefinitely if he deemed a threat. This thread brings out all the willfully ignorant hot takes.

by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2022 6:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!