Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your favorite smooth jazz tune?

We got the jazz standards thread, so, I figured I'd embellish. I don't really have just one favorite. But I'll start with the one playing now: "After Hours" by Ronny Jordan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2022 1:39 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2022 6:30 AM

Barefoot on the Beach by Michael Franks or anything by Chris Botti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2022 4:20 PM

This cut by Grover Washington Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2022 4:38 PM

'What You Won't Do for Love' written and performed by Bobby Caldwell. One of the best, if not THE best Smooth Jazz song ever.

Arguably, one of the greatest songs ever, period. It's been covered by 42 artists. Among others, Phyllis Hyman does a great version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2022 4:55 PM

Pat Metheny "To The End of The World"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2022 10:30 PM

r4 I remember when I first found out that Bobby Caldwell was White...3 years ago, lol. Tripped me out. And I'm not the only one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2022 10:33 PM

Here's another great Smooth Jazz tune. It's not well known, but there are a few different versions and if you listen to it, you'll realize that you've been hearing it for years.

Kenny Loggins gets a bad rap (Yacht Rock), but he's written a lot of great songs that are buried in his albums.

I got a friend of mine that was a DJ playing this as morning music. I've told that story on DL before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2022 10:57 PM

The ubiquitous smooth jazz piece is Wave by Antonio Carlos Jobim. (They named a cool jazz station after it!)

I really love this one by Manu Katche . It fuses cool jazz with smooth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2022 11:01 PM

Bookmarking this thread. Thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2022 11:10 PM

"Desire" by Paul Hardcastle. Honestly, anything by Paul Hardcastle belongs here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2022 7:54 AM

This classic counts, I think. Art of Noise "Moments in Love (Quiet Storm Version)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2022 4:01 AM

Smooth jazz is the aural equivalent of methadone.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2022 4:05 AM

Gabor Szabo & Bobby Womack's original version of "Breezin" (later made more famous by George Benson)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2022 4:08 AM

Nile Rodgers coulda been a jazz guitarist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2022 4:09 AM

Ronnie Laws, Always There

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2022 4:16 AM

Richard Elliot, Street Beat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2022 4:17 AM

Smooth Jazz (and openly gay) saxophone player Dave Koz did a cover of Bacharach/David's "This Guy's In Love With You" several years ago. Not known as a singer, he has a very pleasing voice, perfect for this tune. I like his version more than Herb Alpert's, who was the first to record it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2022 4:22 AM

CTI Records was kinda the progenitor of smooth jazz (for better or worse). I have to admit a weakness for a lot of their output.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2022 4:23 AM

Artists like Antonio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto aren't really "smooth jazz" artists. They were part of the "Brazilian Invasion" that hit the U.S. in the 1960s, bringing the sounds of sambas and Bossa Novas to mainstream U.S. audiences.

Smooth Jazz didn't really become a prominent music genre until the 1970s/80s with artists like George Benson and Spyro Gyra.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2022 4:32 AM

Whatever women listen to at concerts in depression commercials when they show them getting better.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2022 4:41 AM

Cal Harris Jr. / "She Loves The Water"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2022 4:49 AM

r17, good pick! Also, if you notice at the end he sings, "I'm in love with this guy."

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2022 8:09 PM

Bobby Caldwell, "What You Won't Do For Love." I love his voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2022 8:25 PM

I admit I don't know the definition of smooth jazz vs jazz. Is smooth jazz Kenny G? Anything played on 'radio?' A hot, high trumpet?

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2022 8:33 PM

Hiroshima - One Wish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2022 3:35 AM

R24 Smooth jazz is to jazz what Muzak was to rock and roll.

It's just a lighter, more palatable version of jazz. No harsh notes or dissonance. Nothing played too fast. Mostly instrumentals, but not always. Instrumental versions of pop/R&B hits became ubiquitous and at one point seemed to overtake the entire genre.

It was music you could put on while you were studying, or on Sunday mornings when you had a hangover. For me, it was always mostly "background" music...to be enjoyed, without much effort or attention having to be paid.

And yes, most of Kenny G's catalog would be considered "smooth jazz". He was/is, in fact, one of the titans of the genre. Maybe the best-selling smooth jazz player of all time.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2022 3:42 AM

"Smooth Jazz" is actually a misnomer, as it has very little to do with traditional jazz. It's more like pop instrumentals (with occasional vocals). You couldn't listen to a smooth jazz song and in any way confuse it with a traditional jazz tune.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2022 4:34 AM

So good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2022 5:03 AM

This is about as upbeat and lively as smooth jazz ever got.

"Freedom at Midnight" by David Benoit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2022 1:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!