Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gingerbread Cake With or Without Lemon Sauce?

Which do you prefer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 6:16 PM

🚫

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 4:27 AM

This should've been a poll.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 4:28 AM

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 4:31 AM

Is this a parody thread?

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 4:35 AM

I'd rather have toothpaste with an orange juice back

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 4:39 AM

[quote] Is this a parody thread?

No its not. I need to know so that I will be prepared. When I invite you over for tea.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 5:08 AM

I prefer to sauce around the cake down on the plate—the diner can wipe it up with gingerbread.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 5:19 AM

I love lemon, & it pairs well with ginger..but I don't want it in this case. And I've never understood blueberries (which I love) in gingerbread cake, either

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 5:33 AM

Cake without frosting is like sex without cum. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 5:55 AM

On the side.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 6:13 AM

No lemon anything! It’s a vile, acidic fruit, that monopolizes/ dominates/ ruins, every food it touches.

****** The only way I find lemon palatable, is when it’s mixed in a recipe with a fuck-ton of sugar; i.e. lemon meringue or lemonade.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 6:17 AM

It certainly lacks eye appeal, based on the photo, which I find off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 6:27 AM

[quote] The only way I find lemon palatable, is when it’s mixed in a recipe with a fuck-ton of sugar; i.e. lemon meringue or lemonade.

The sauce is really all sugar. Certainly more palatable than the very tart lemon meringue.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 2:10 PM

I would happily eat lemon sauce with my gingerbread. My favorite gingerbread cake is Laurie Colwin’s Damp Gingerbread.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 5:55 PM

A lemon cake with ginger frosting might do it, though.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 6:13 PM

R13 - “ The sauce is really all sugar. Certainly more palatable than the very tart lemon meringue”

Uh, no, R13. If you read the thread title, it’s not “really all sugar”. There’s lemon in it …. Mostly sugar? yes, likely.

And, you can decrease the tartness of lemon meringue, by increasing the amount of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 6:38 PM

I've never had this combination.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 7:05 PM

Every cake is better with sauce.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 7:07 PM

The more the merrier! Fat whores rejoice!

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 7:10 PM

Okay, then. I'm going to say with lemon sauce because maybe that will disguise the awful taste of gingerbread.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 7:44 PM

I like hard sauce and whipped cream for gingerbread.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote] I like sauce from something hard, and whipped cream for gingerbread

There, fixed that for ya. 😀

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 9:30 PM

That looks like cotton balls and piss colored cum on that chocolate cake.

Hard pass!

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 10:09 PM

Gingerbread is nasty.

Can I have the lemon sauce on a poundcake instead? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 10:12 PM

With lemon. The lemon should not be too sweet. My mom made a dynamite Gingerbread cake w/ lemon.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 10:28 PM

Gingerbread doesn't need sauce.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 10:31 PM

I made this tonight -- never heard of this particular combination. Husband and I really enjoyed it, and he's not a fan of gingerbread

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 11:47 PM

WITH lemon sauce, which must be warm.

As a young teenager I worked in the kitchen of a Girl Scout camp up in the Adirondacks one Summer. The cook was retired Navy(it was the first time the kitchen staff was all male) and he was very good at his job, the girls loved everything he made. Gingerbread with lemon sauce was on the menu about once a week. The cake was a bit on the mild side for my taste, but the combo of the the sauce and cake was very good.

What the girls REALLY enjoyed though was the same cake spread with a highly-spiced applesauce(I remember it being particularly clove-y) tinted a pale pink. The moisture from the applesauce eventually seeped into the cake and made it even more luscious. When the head of the Girl Scouts organization came for an inspection/visit, she liked it so much she asked for a few pieces to take home with her.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2022 2:12 AM

The photo looks like a piece of gingerbread topped with marshmallow creme and a raw egg yolk.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2022 6:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!