Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYT Accused of Homophobia

This sentence about the Atlantis Gay Cruise amid Omnicron

“It’s time to start living our lives again and vaccines and tests allow us to do that. This isn’t Covid 2020,” said Andre Mayer, a graphic designer from Germany who paid more than $4,000 for the weeklong cruise on board Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas. “This is going to be the wildest party for our community in two years. I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom.”

Gay men are OUTRAGED over being stereotyped like that

"The author of this article, ironically, has in her bio that she fought for gender equality issues in Turkey. How ironic that she doesn't understand how her article is slanderous towards gay men," writes Darren in a long post.

Another — Danielle — says she works for a cruise company and disputed the Times reporting.

"This article is garbage, because without the homophobic 'gay' sensationalist clickbait it wouldn't have been published. As someone who works on cruises I can attest that all the cruise lines are sailing with thousands of guests, and all are vaccinated and tested as is the crew. The ratio of Covid cases to guest counts is remarkably small (on a Christmas cruise I was on there were 1500 guests and 3 Covid cases). Cruises are doing a great job considering the nature of their business. The only reason this article exists is to have mention of orgies and drug taking. How about writing about the heterosexual swinger's cruise I worked on in October, on the same ship, which is far more "debauched" than a gay cruise? No? Didn't think so."

A Times reader named S.S. writes: "As a gay man, I'm personally perturbed by this portrayal of gay people - and the quote below from Andre Mayer, a self-appointed spokesperson for the gay "community", is most repulsive !"

Anon wrote a pointed response: "What happened to the woke N.Y. Times (or are gay males now part of white male supremacy and thus good targets for its wrath)? This coverage reminds me of early coverage of AIDS as the "gay plague." Thanks for pointing out that gatherings of gay men are not necessarily orgies. Who even thinks like that anymore? Your reporter, I guess."

Paul writes: "You've just given Fox News their next homophobic story, complete with graphic quotes about "the decadent gay lifestyle" that Democrats are plotting for the viewers' children and grandchildren . . . thanks NYT!"

Times reader Whaaa? asks, "Seriously, NYT? This is not newsworthy in mid-pandemic-omicron-surge-governors-banning-mask-mandates-jam-packed-school-cafeteria-petri-dish America.

"Nor does it have anything, except coincidence, to do with gay culture, and so your title is, as others have pointed out, nothing but cheap (or expensive, as the case may be — I don't know what what the per-word rate or writer salaries are these days) clickbait. Homophobia-promoting clickbait, at that."

David M was confused as to the writer's intent: "I'm not clear what novel insight about the pandemic the writer was attempting to convey with this article. The risks of taking a cruise are well known and have been previously publicized. How safe is any cruise with 5,500 passengers? What about a Disney cruise with unvaccinated three and four year olds running around? This reads like cheap sensational reporting. Disappointing, NYTimes."

And a Times reader named BigGuy offered a reality check to the pic (one from Atlantis) used in the story:

"A man like the fellow in the photo does NOT buy a ticket for a cruise. A man who desires his company buys the ticket. I'm 66, 5'8", and 345 pounds with a 58" waist. Many, many more men aboard look like me than look like him."

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2022 9:50 PM

You seem so desperate to start 30 threads a day

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 1:28 AM

[quote] You seem so desperate to start 30 threads a day

That is what subscriptions on DL is for

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 1:30 AM

Hysterical cunt ^

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 1:30 AM

The quote is 100% fact. The types who go on those cruises are trashy and fit the worst gay stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 1:34 AM

I'm confused. What are they mad about? Andre Mayer's comment that the author included in the article? So, technically, they're mad at a gay guy for saying what he was going to do on a cruise he paid $4,000 for?

I am very confused and need an adult.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 1:34 AM

R5 because that is the only quote they included - some gay men are claiming that this cruise is NOT about Sex

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 1:35 AM

Ah, got it. Well...is it? :-/

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 1:36 AM

Interesting, I read this article and this exact sentence stuck out to me and I felt that she stuck it in their on purpose to discredit the entire notion of Gay Cruises. Never been on one, wouldn't go on a cruise gay or straight, but several friends have gone and loved it...they have said it is what you make of it and for her to continue the stereotype was disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 1:40 AM

I read the comments.

In DL-ese they are "This is why they hate us! And how dare you print it!"

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 1:40 AM

They vote Dem so it's ok

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 1:40 AM

OP you really do seem mentally retarded with your quest to OMG I'M GOING TO POST ANOTHER THREAD 5 SECONDS AFTER MY LAST ONE.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 1:55 AM

R11 that is what DL subscriptions are for

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 1:56 AM

Hysterical cunt^

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 2:21 AM

Those Dirty Dancers are ruffians. Just because I requested a Flash Dance number I was called “gramps” and accused of having a Depend under garment under my thong bathing suit.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 3:35 AM

How can y’all tell “anonymous” OP has been posting over and over?

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 3:51 AM

R15 you put them on ignore and look at their history

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 5:57 AM

Anyone got a link to the actual article?

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 7:55 PM

Here r17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 8:01 PM

This is our Sturgis. Gay people can be stupid too.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 8:12 PM

If the fist fits…

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 8:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 8:18 PM

[quote]This is going to be the wildest party for our community in two years. I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom

As if those motherfuckers stopped doing any of that over the past two years

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 8:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 8:20 PM

I haven't read the article but I would agree with David M based on the need for this to be written in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 8:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 8:21 PM

R17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 8:22 PM

R6 Bullshit, they quoted a number of people

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 8:24 PM

Most noteworthy is the poor writing and/or editing. The author fails uses "is" after a plural (when she should use "are") and I caught two misplaced commas. Oh, yes, and then there's the rather repugnant stereotyping. Imagine if she had written something similar about an all-Black event or an all-women's event?

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 8:29 PM

I don’t see it as homophobia. Neither does the shit-stirring OP.

But the NYTimes WILL embarrass you with your own quotes and be real dry about it. It’s kind of their thing. They will allow you to take yourself down a peg and they don’t have to do it for you.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote]Most noteworthy is the poor writing and/or editing. The author fails uses "is" after a plural

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 8:33 PM

R28 " The author fails uses"

I wonder if your concerns should be about something other than someone else's writing capabilities.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 10:27 PM

This boat has EVERYTHING… dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies, sex swings, pups, a midget gloryhole, and sweet, sweet freedom!

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 10:36 PM

Dirty dancing!! Mon dieu!

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 10:43 PM

Wire me a telegram when they evolve into a gay cruise line featuring Lambada-the Forbidden Dance.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 5:17 AM

[quote]Gay men are OUTRAGED over being stereotyped like that

There's always at least one gay around like this who just cannot wait to get interviewed, and always a newspaper or magazine or cable news show itching to publish it.

It's like how there's always one black person being a dingdong or one enormously stupid fat white person who cannot resist the siren call of the news camera.

The problem does lie with the news outlets constantly amplifying those voices instead of the voice of the more average person. They want attention because attention translates to ad dollars, though, so they're going to get the Eurotrash German saying "this COVID orgy is the best thing we've ever done for the gay community!" for their article.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 7:54 AM

[quote]It's like how there's always one black person being a dingdong

Yeeep. And now it's even worse with the internet. So, the whole entire world gets to see us acting a damn fool on TV to reinforce stereotypes. I gave up being tired of that, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 8:36 AM

In 2022 there are people on the DL defending the New York Times?

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 8:44 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 8:48 AM

Even if gay men want to party hard, so what? Straight people party hard as well, and no one says fucking anything.

—DARKGEMINILORD But, but, aren't most gay and bi males much more promiscuous than straights, thus a much higher likelihood of spreading Covid and other diseases?

Some or many gay males could have five or ten partners in one night when on a crazed high on these cruises; not as easy for even the most desirable straight man to attain that for various reasons.

Thus the societal panic, understandably.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 9:31 AM

[quote] “This is going to be the wildest party for our community in two years. I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom.”

I’ve never been on one, but several friends have, including one right now, and this is an accurate description. So what? Most people are DONE with COVID; I’ve been triple-vaccinated and I’m not going to bide under my bed. Let people live.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 10:15 AM

Who fucking cares? Let them go on their cruise. It's their life.

If DL gurls to prefer to barricade themselves in their apartments with their cats and tea-sets until they die -- have at.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 10:43 AM

[quote]aren't most gay and bi males much more promiscuous than straights,

No. Males, in general, are equally promiscuous. Straight men are just limited by their "target prey" (females) having a lower sex drive, on average, and socially conditioned to be sexually cautious/prudent. Females also have the higher sexual burden to risk (pregnancy and caring for offspring). Rest assured if none of that applied to females, there would be no different in the level of promiscuity.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 11:07 AM

*No difference

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 11:07 AM

OP's post is badly structured so it's confusing how the NYT is being accused of homophobia until you scroll down further.

The gay cruise is a bigger deal than the dozens of normal cruises happening at the same time because 1) gay men will not be social distancing on a cruise of 5500 gay men, 2) it's currently a drama topic on gay Twitter, so gays themselves are divided over it and attacking each other about the cruise, and 3) scolds are trying to cancel gay people on this cruise the same way they did other gay festivals (remember Puerto Vallarta) during the earlier parts of the pandemic.

Does that need an article in the NYT? Probably not, but it's not exactly homophobic to write an article about something drama-loving people are turning into a much bigger deal than any normal cruise would get.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 11:09 AM

So the COVID/flu hybrid found in some pregnant women has been dubbed "flurona." What new hybrid will be born as a result of this cruise? COVAIDS? Gonnorhona? SARS-HIV-1?

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 4:02 PM

For the people claiming the article if homophobic, have you every been on a gay cruise because the line " I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom" is really a mild description of them.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 4:30 PM

Where are the comments in OP's post from? Was there a follow up article or are those comments posted on the original article? I must have missed the comment section if so.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 4:46 PM

[quote]dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom

For me, that's a slow weekend.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 4:55 PM

[quote] Thanks for pointing out that gatherings of gay men are not necessarily orgies. Who even thinks like that anymore? Your reporter, I guess

I think this is why people are saying the article is homophobic. The author points out that not all gatherings of gay men are necessarily orgies. Why did that need to be pointed out? Do people think every time they see a group of gays that it’s an orgy?

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 5:54 PM

Why the article in the first place ? Make no sense. Who cares . People need to learn to quit sticking their nose in other peoples business !!!!

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2022 6:07 PM

This is one of the few instances of the NYT being accurate in their reporting.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2022 6:12 PM

Why an article on a gay cruise when all other types of cruises are operating right now too? Why not an article on Disney cruises and how little kids are running Petri dishes who aren’t vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2022 6:21 PM

[quote]or are gay males now part of white male supremacy and thus good targets for its wrath

Everything else aside, I am noticing that gay males are being thought of in this way more and more these days.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2022 6:27 PM

[quote] I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom!

Is this a made up quote? I can’t imagine a real person saying “and sweet, sweet freedom!”

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2022 6:30 PM

Explain why that quote is offensive but Gay Pride parades are not.

(Or maybe they are offensive to OP?)

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2022 6:42 PM

I'm not the OP, but I find aspects of Gay Pride Marches alienating and troubling.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2022 7:56 PM

It's the walking, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2022 8:03 PM

Ha, as a "legacy member" of the biggest Atlantis group on Facebook (they just roll it over each year to the next years cruise), the queens were INCENSED about that article. They published the author's address saying to write complaint and threatened to sue(!)

But I didn't see anything overtly homophobic. Of course journalism goes for the extremes. And they gave the owner of Atlantis a chance to comment. I don't think his "We won't cancel because we'd lose money" was necessarily the best quote on his part. Sure, that's completely true, but it made him completely seem like an asshole who didn't care about the safety of his charter because he'd rather make a buck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2022 8:24 PM

R58, is the screen showing a tutorial on how to give a blowjob with a dildo?

I see someone getting a blowjob in the lower right corner.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2022 8:46 PM

Can you post some of the cancel tweets?

Is the cruise out now? Some pictures should start flowing in.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2022 8:53 PM

R59 I thought that he was eating a slice of pepperoni.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2022 9:28 PM

R58 So many harnesses and yet I bet the kinkiest thing any of them are into is getting spanked while they get fucked

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2022 9:33 PM

R58 That's the pizza gay. A video that made it's rounds a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2022 9:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!