Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

University of Michigan Fires Its President Over Inappropriate Relationship

The president of the University of Michigan, Mark S. Schlissel, has been fired for having a relationship with a subordinate that the university’s Board of Regents said violated university policy and was carried out “in a manner inconsistent with the dignity and reputation of the university.”

The board terminated Dr. Schlissel’s employment effective immediately after a special meeting on Saturday, ordering him to return all university property and canceling an agreement that would have continued paying him his base salary of $927,000 for two years after his contract was supposed to end in 2023.

The board named a former president, Mary Sue Coleman, as interim president.

In a letter to Dr. Schlissel on Saturday informing him that he was being fired, the board said that it had received an anonymous complaint on Dec. 8 that Dr. Schlissel had been involved in an inappropriate sexual affair with a subordinate.

“There can be no question that you were acutely aware that any inappropriate conduct or communication between you and a subordinate would cause substantial harm to the dignity and reputation of the University of Michigan,” the letter said.

Allegations of sexual misconduct in academia are not rare, but they more commonly involve students and professors, not university presidents. Dr. Schlissel’s firing is notable because it involved the leader of one of the country’s most prestigious universities.

Dr. Schlissel, who is married and has four grown children, according to his university biography as of Jan. 1, could not be reached for comment.

The investigation found that Dr. Schlissel had sent dozens of emails to the employee from his university account over several years. The board posted 118 pages of those messages on the university website in the interest, it said, of full disclosure.

In one email exchange on July 1 that was cited by the board, the employee said that her “heart hurts,” and Dr. Schlissel replied, “i know. mine too.”

The email finished with Dr. Schlissel saying, “I still wish I were strong enough to find a way.”

The emails continued, and in November, Dr. Schlissel wrote to the subordinate that he was disappointed that he might not be sitting next to her at a University of Michigan basketball game. He wrote, “the only reason I agreed to go was to go with you.”

The emails used “inappropriate tone and inappropriate language,” the letter from the Board of Regents said, and showed that Dr. Schlissel had used official business to carry out the relationship. Dr. Schlissel’s conduct was “particularly egregious” because he had taken a public position against sexual harassment, the board said.

After a provost, Martin Philbert, was accused of sexual misconduct, Dr. Schlissel had sent a letter in August 2020 to the university saying that “the highest priority” was to make the university “safe for all,” the Board of Regents’ letter noted. Mr. Philbert left the school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133January 18, 2022 11:25 PM

Rebekah Modrak, a professor of art and design, sponsored a successful faculty no-confidence vote against Dr. Schlissel in September 2020, primarily because of concerns about pandemic policies. She said that she and other faculty members also believed the administration had not been sufficiently attuned to complaints about sexual assault and harassment on campus.

“For many of us and for me, the reaction was huge relief,” she said of the firing. “Because he has been such an arrogant leader and so dismissing of faculty concerns.”

Dr. Schlissel announced in October that he would resign in June 2023, a year earlier than originally planned but that he would continue working as a special adviser and president emeritus. That contract has been terminated.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 12:06 AM

Does DL think that the subordinate should also be named and/or fired or do we subscribe to the idea that because she was his subordinate, he exercised a fundamental power imbalance, so she is not to be blamed for her actions since such a power imbalance fundamentally makes it not her fault.

I think I know which way DL will go, but am curious.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 12:13 AM

[quote]The emails used “inappropriate tone and inappropriate language,”

I thought tone policing was a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 12:18 AM

These presidents are paid an obscene amount of money. They should act respectably.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 12:24 AM

David Daniels is probably having some schadenfreude right about now.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 12:24 AM

There's gotta be more to this. IMO, this guy & whoever he was having an affair with were probably both difficult to work with. He's not very attractive, so I'm guessing that his on-campus paramour was using the relationship to her advantage. People got sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 12:24 AM

Why would we care about this?? I don’t give a damn who is fucking who if it’s consensual.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 12:28 AM

The firing of a president at a top university is pretty big news, r7

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 12:29 AM

Is that 900k PER YEAR? He is ridiculously overpaid.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 12:29 AM

They posted 118 pages of his emails to his paramour? Even if he/she isn’t named, people are going to know who they are. How embarrassing and unnecessary and vindictive. They may have trouble filling that post permanently. Even at almost seven figures.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 12:29 AM

That salary is obscene.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 12:31 AM

1.7 million to 6.2 million

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 12:45 AM

One would think that a pres of any university would be smarter than to use emails to his paramour.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 12:46 AM

Those are obscene pay levels R12

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 12:54 AM

Wake up Americans. The .1% are running a racket.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 12:56 AM

WTF does a college President even do to warrant anything even near those levels of pay??

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 1:01 AM

Presidents are fundraisers. The outgoing Penn president made even more.

The language in the letter is so ridiculous, it makes it seem as if using the Michigan e-mail system was just as bad as the affair, like he’s guilty of telecommunications fraud.

The emails were completely banal, nothing obscene or sexually explicit. So they were fucking, if thats serious enough to merit immediate dismissal then fine, that’s partly what contributed to the Met museum director resigning a few years ago, but why does public shaming and airing of what should be confidential documents need to be a part of the punishment? The vindictive nature of this maneuver is beyond baffling. Getting ousted by a damn art professor, lord.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 1:03 AM

The base salary is often around a million and then the graft kicks in. Also huge golden parachutes. Many of the highest paid are at also ran schools. Johnson & Wales? RPI - OK respectable school but small and 2nd tier - paying over 5 million total compensation?

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 1:04 AM

As a Michigan resident, this is interesting. Up in Marquette, our NMU president was fired immediately late last year, merely for the way he ran things. Those big salaries can make these men feel untouchable, but it can also put a price on their head...

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 1:05 AM

Here's the "truth teller" art prof. She's a woker than woke white chick who has a hard on for diversity. Doesn't she look fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 1:06 AM

[quote]Does DL think that the subordinate should also be named and/or fired or do we subscribe to the idea that because she was his subordinate, he exercised a fundamental power imbalance, so she is not to be blamed for her actions since such a power imbalance fundamentally makes it not her fault.

I think I know which way DL will go, but am curious.

I don't think either of them should be fired. He's being fired for having an extramarital affair. Is this 1915? I couldn't care less if she's a subordinate, or if there's a power imbalance - doesn't mean he abused that imbalance. They're both adults. The world is becoming very rule bound, rigid, and intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 1:07 AM

"Wake up Americans. The .1% are running a racket."

But they don't like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 1:10 AM

Remember that is only base salary as those contracts typically have many other benefits like housing, car, generous additional retirement and insurance payments, yearly bonus and lots of paid first class travel for president and spouse.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 1:12 AM

It sounds like the faculty wanted him gone for many reasons. The provost was also ousted for sexual impropriety. Like someone else said, Michigan will have a hard time finding someone willing to take this job.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 1:14 AM

I'm trying to get Robby Benson to apply for this position.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 1:16 AM

Are they going to put him in the stocks in the town square and throw rotten vegetables at him ? Maybe brand his forehead with a scarlet A? Maybe the woman involved should have her head publicly shaved. Are we living in 1790 now?

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 1:18 AM

I want to know how old his mistress is.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 1:23 AM

I don't think it was JUST that they had an affair. It was probably that he bestowed upon her many special favors. And that's going to be unpopular in ANY era, r26 -- just ask English kings James I and Edward II!

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 1:24 AM

What posters are missing is that this email thing was only the last straw on the camel's back. Schlissel made himself loathed on campus over the course of various incidents, and the Board of Regents had been divided over what to do with him for a couple of years. They were probably grateful for a legitimate reason to get rid of him.

What I want to know is what emerged from the weird email kerfuffle from Ron Weiser, Board of Regents member and former chair of the MI Republican Party. I've found one DL thread about it but it didn't get much of a response, and I never heard anything further about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 1:47 AM

Haven't they heard of texting?

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 1:50 AM

R30, In most public institutions with state public record laws, texting may be just as vulnerable to disclosure as email, voicemails and written communications. Only your unrecorded conversations and thoughts are private. So far.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 2:32 AM

yeah , R31, but the emails at issue seem to be from their .edu accounts. That’s not exactly a private way to communicate, at work, about person matters.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 2:35 AM

Academia is filled with those suffering from arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 2:38 AM

They must really want him out. This is humiliating to his wife, an innocent party. Did they really have to publish the emails? Which, by the way, were extremely tame.

The whole thing makes me feel sorry for him. His wife lives in another state. He seems very lonely. Not that I'm trying to excuse cheating, but the man is human after all. People have physical and emotional needs.

If the wife divorces him, I'll bet he ends up with the mistress.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 2:54 AM

This university seems to put out more than a tour of degenerates.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2022 2:55 AM

That was expensive Poontang.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2022 2:58 AM

He probably got fired for being so dumb he thought it was ok to use his University email account to send emails to his “boo”.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2022 3:09 AM

I'm glad to see Universities taking action about inappropriate sexual relations, though in this case it was probably an excuse to fire him. I went to school in the late 70s and early 80s before there were very few behavioral rules except for cheating on exams. I was stalked and assaulted by a female prof and there were no procedures in place outside of criminal charges. Stalking wasn't really talked about until Hinkley, then it was treated as a one off.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2022 3:17 AM

Maybe he just liked to watch...

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2022 3:19 AM

R35 so having an extra- marital affair now makes a person a "degenerate" ? Thank you, Church Lady.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2022 4:47 AM

Is he accused of sexual harassment? Did the woman file a complaint? If so he deserved to be fired. If it was a consensual relationship between adults, why is the board trying to monitor it? It sounds like they were upset with him for other reasons and this is what they could get him on. I don’t like the policing of people’s private lives (again, assuming it was consensual which it appears to have been.)

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2022 5:15 AM

who are the idiots here who think it's ok for a university president to sleep with a subordinate? you guys must be living in some other world

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2022 5:18 AM

R42 If it's two adults who had a consensual relationship there's nothing wrong going on. Which makes me agree that this guy did something else to piss someone higher up than the scorned woman off. The rules and guidelines Gen Z/Millennials want over all adult relationships are crazy and regressive - these people pretend to be "progressive" but want someone fired for having sex like it's 1950....

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2022 5:23 AM

How long before a black woman is named the new president?

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2022 5:34 AM

He was so dismissing !

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2022 5:47 AM

But his emails!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2022 5:57 AM

In grad school I had two profs (English lit) who had been married to each other, until he knocked up a student! They divorced & still taught at the same school like 20 yrslater. I had classes with each of them, & liked him & hated her. He used to wear eyeliner, & his eyes really “popped.”

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2022 6:02 AM

Sleeping with a subordinate creates a hostile work environment for everyone else, because of favoritism. The fact that other people at the university knew about the affair and were pissed enough to drop a dime on him demonstrates that it was having a detrimental effect on the work environment.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2022 7:30 AM

Diddling each other is best left to the lower ranks. A University President must focus on important matters unrelated to his dick.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2022 1:11 PM

When I was getting my PhD, the married chair of my dept was allegedly having an affair with a female grad student in another, disciplinary-adjacent program at the university. They were rather public about their "friendship" and were frequently seen together on campus at all hours. She was Asian and there was also a weird yellow fever element to it. (He had a penchant for working with female students from Korea.) He gave her many professional opportunities that should have gone to his own students, or at least students in his own dept.

Eventually, enough students became disgruntled and they instigated a Title IX investigation. The only outcome was that he was ousted from his role as dept chair. But what did it matter if he was, or was not, having an actual romantic affair with the student? The favoritism was egregious either way and created a very toxic environment in the dept, especially for his own graduate students.

I have a feeling situations like these have long plagued higher education, probably all the way back to the founding of the Università di Bologna in 1088!

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2022 1:11 PM

Yeah, it's the favoritism.

That's why I look askance at "family companies." Who wants to work in a place where half of the "employees" are spouses, brother, sisters, etc. You can't really talk freely. They're getting away with stuff that you can't get away with, etc.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote]Is that 900k PER YEAR? He is ridiculously overpaid.

Meanwhile, one-third of non-tenured U of M faculty members made less than $25,000 in 2019 and another third made between $25,000 and $50,000, per the American Federation of Teachers.

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2022 7:04 PM

R52, can you post a link? I’m surprised at how low those numbers are. I’m wondering if they are including p/t adjuncts.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2022 7:12 PM

It's kind of like Willie Brown and Kamala Harris, huh?

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2022 7:13 PM

Toxic situation.

Had a well paying job in a decent sized office where a new mid-level hire soon began having an affair with the boss.

Really messed things up.

He effectively began delegating to her authority over people who didn’t report to her (she’d just “drop in” on meetings and make ridiculous suggestions she expected to see carried out in his name. If someone complained to him he never backed them up, even if what she proposed was bonkers . . . because . . . thinking with his Dick)

Screwed up the office.

In time he lost his job and it messed up his marriage (she wasn’t quite bunny rabbit stewing with jealousy - but Close).

It is Not just a “consenting adults” situation.

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2022 7:14 PM

Sounds like Donald and Ivanka!

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2022 7:15 PM

He was fired for sending cutesy-poo little love notes to female subordinates? Seems excessive.

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2022 7:19 PM

If sex with subordinates had been prohibited in my day, I would never have graduated from law school.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2022 7:20 PM

According to this, the lowest UofM salary is $20,800 (for a professor emeritus who may not even be teaching). The next lowest is $30,801 for a clinical instructor, which definitely sounds like a faculty position. Then there are dozens of lab techs and clerks in the low 30’s. No faculty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote] Like someone else said, Michigan will have a hard time finding someone willing to take this job.

No they won’t. Michigan is one of the most prestigious universities in the country, it sits squarely in the very highest echelon of research institutions. Administrators will line right up to present themselves as a candidate.

If this was Kalamazoo State University, you might have a point.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2022 7:29 PM

At most state universities , the football coach is the position with the highest salary.

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2022 7:30 PM

So where does a high level official in an institution like U of M find some nookie, or even tru love?

In a town like Ann Arbor, most of your eligible singles are going to work at the University.

Does someone have to quit their job if, say, they wanted to marry or even be a couple? Seems unfair.

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2022 7:37 PM

R62 They are getting paid lots of money--they can go elsewhere to find true love. I mean, Ann Arbor is not that far from Detroit. And virtually all colleges and universities now have stated, binding clauses about romantic relationships with a subordinate being a fireable offense.

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2022 7:40 PM

[quote][R52], can you post a link?

Sorry, picked it up from a tweet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote]Ann Arbor is not that far from Detroit.

I'm sure Detroit is teeming with suitable love interests for a university president.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2022 7:44 PM

Thinking with dicks aside for a moment, I can't imagine going to work for a university these days. I'm a white guy with a big mouth. I wouldn't last the first week.

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2022 7:45 PM

Actually, I realize as a white guy I'd never get hired to begin with, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2022 7:47 PM

Work emailssss

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2022 7:48 PM

I have second-hand embarrassment from these emails. He’s sending all these romantic and flowery notes and she barely puts any effort in to respond, with a few grammatical errors thrown in. This guy was totally blinded by his loneliness or lust. I feel especially bad for his kids, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2022 7:49 PM

Yeah, that’s not reliable, R52. I know I sound like a jerk, but it’s usually a good idea to confirm any numbers that either surprise you or really prove your point.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2022 7:51 PM

R65: Greater Detroit has millions of people and one very large university Wayne State and a bunch of mid-sized ones like Mercy/UDetroit, plus Ypsilanti (next to Ann Arbor) has Eastern Michigan which is a large state school. Plus you have well-educated people associated with large corporations, philanthropy, etc. Also, it's not unusual for senior academics to have long distance relationships because the job opportunities often are for very specific expertise.

The relationship with the faculty member is nothing like nepotism in a family business, because the rules and laws are different. This was just one of many questionable things that this guy did. UofM is a big school with a lot of prestige---they will have no trouble finding a suitable replacement.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2022 7:54 PM

The article referenced at R64 was conflating universal college stats with what's going on at U of M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote] Which makes me agree that this guy did something else to piss someone higher up than the scorned woman off.

This guy belonged to the wrong synagogue.

The members of the main synagogue have the numbers and want total control.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2022 8:11 PM

Schlissel tempted his victim with “i can lure you to visit with the promise of a knish”

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2022 8:26 PM

He told her the secret UM motto is "She Shtups to Conquer."

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2022 8:31 PM

R73 Gooey knish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2022 8:34 PM

The rumors online are that it was either his assistant/secretary who was a longstanding member of the president's office staff, or a grad student in organizational management who had been his student as an undergrad. It looks to me like it is the older assistant/secretary.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2022 9:01 PM

I read somewhere that it was a university museum curator r77

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2022 9:02 PM

His exec assistant is the mistress. She's in her 40s or 50s.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2022 9:03 PM

Past presidents talked about how lovely and passive she was to work with, that she was well connected, apparently of British background. It sounds like she was only answering him with few details, and she probably had been familiar with the kind of closeness some university president secretaries have with their boss, traveling with them and so on.

Wouldn't it be funny if she leaked the emails?

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2022 9:03 PM

He seems like the kind of putz who wanted to be with a woman who was subordinate and submissive, picked up his calzones for him and so on. His wife seems like she had her own life going and was never going to be that.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2022 9:05 PM

University president secretaries normally do outlast a number of presidents, and are well connected to donors and the local community. Her own salary was 200000. I wonder if it got to the point where they had to get rid of him, and she helped it along.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2022 9:06 PM

[quote] He seems like the kind of putz

And he's no Adonis either.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2022 9:07 PM

liverpool. the way these ex presidents do go on about their assistants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2022 9:09 PM

[quote] Actually, I realize as a white guy I'd never get hired to begin with, obviously.

Maybe you can find a job, elsewhere, though.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote] I realize as a white guy I'd never get hired to begin with, obviously

You belong to the wrong synagogue.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2022 9:30 PM

I think it's romantic.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2022 9:34 PM

R40, look up the Dr. Robert Anderson scandal at U of M.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2022 10:10 PM

R79, the girlfriend is 54.

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2022 10:18 PM

R20, Crazy eyes anyone?

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2022 10:46 PM

He really did screw up a number of sex scandals at UM, let alone his own. He had to go.

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2022 11:08 PM

Gross!

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2022 11:11 PM

Now, it sounds like it might have been a grad student?

Found this BITCHY datalounge esq thread..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2022 11:14 PM

I think the concensus is that the emails were about situations the president's assistant/secretary had to be at - grad students normally don't sit with big donors at games, for example.

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2022 11:18 PM

I love how some commenters have turned into pearl clutching Little Miss Prissypants. A married man having an affair with a co-worker! Why bless ma soul, thats just plain sinful! Banish him from polite society forevah! If he was being sucked off by a hot grad student you'd be cheering him on and asking for photos.

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2022 11:41 PM

Not the issue, r95.

See eg r50

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2022 11:42 PM

I'll be disappointed if those emails are confusing "Individual 1" and one of the PII notes! (I think the president's assistant is individual 1 and one of the PII is the grad student, but we'll see)

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2022 11:43 PM

University presidents can be very stupid. They are there to entertain donors, and the more of an ignorant drunken playboy they are, the more fun the donors have.

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2022 11:44 PM

Does the subordinate lose their job too ?

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2022 11:53 PM

Well this is the wife though.. just saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 18, 2022 12:05 AM

Nobody in this story is attractive, including the possible grad student. It's a strange mix.

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2022 12:10 AM

The wife won't divorce him. I'll put money on it. She won't want to be single at her age. Unless he's leaving her for his mistress, they'll reconcile, he'll be in the doghouse for a while, but eventually it'll be back to (placid) normal.

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2022 12:13 AM

I love your cuntiness, r101!

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2022 12:13 AM

R100 Did Grant Wood take that picture?

by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2022 12:48 AM

R34, why not reveal the emails?

They are public record. The guy was at a state school and he knew the deal before he wrote them.

by Anonymousreply 105January 18, 2022 1:10 AM

R104

Bless you, I got it.

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2022 1:19 AM

Who is the grad student r101?

by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2022 5:36 PM

r100 - that photo. Hair, make-up, glasses, dress - does that woman get any fashion detail right?

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2022 5:47 PM

The policy he broke is one that was put in last year after a series of sexual harassment scandals (which he handled badly). At the time, Schlissel made a big deal about how important this new policy was, saying nobody was above the law, and so on—then he's found to violate it, and in an entirely pathetic, meme-worthy way.

This at least is the narrative I'm hearing from friends who work at U of M.

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2022 5:47 PM

These rich people are divorced from the ordinary, unpleasant things of life in their self-obsessed, well-appointed ivory towers.

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2022 5:52 PM

R108 She's a Princeton grad, UVA law, and works in the San Francisco office of a big-name law firm. She should know how to dress. It looks like she purposefully dresses like a Midwestern farm wife when she visits Michigan in order to fit in.

by Anonymousreply 111January 18, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote] “There can be no question that you were acutely aware that any inappropriate conduct or communication between you and a subordinate would cause substantial harm to the dignity and reputation of the University of Michigan,” the letter said.

Nobody would even know about this consensual affair if you didn’t publicize it so you’re the one causing harm to the reputation of the university. Streisand Effect.

[quote]The investigation found that Dr. Schlissel had sent dozens of emails to the employee from his university account over several years. The board posted 118 pages of those messages on the university website in the interest, it said, of full disclosure.

So not only do you bring the affair to the world’s attention, you publish 118 pages of private emails? You’re the one making the university a laughing stock.

by Anonymousreply 112January 18, 2022 6:10 PM

R111, the wife lives in SF? Why doesn’t she live in Michigan with her husband?

by Anonymousreply 113January 18, 2022 6:13 PM

This Schlissel has the sex-appeal of a Polish pizzle.

by Anonymousreply 114January 18, 2022 6:15 PM

Are you really not supposed to sleep around in the workplace? Grey’s Anatomy has all the doctors sleeping with each other all the time, bosses with interns, managers with subordinates, chief of residents with residents.

by Anonymousreply 115January 18, 2022 6:18 PM

I notice (from conversations at work) people around 30 and under almost seem mentally 'trained' that workplace relationships are wrong, and they make a lot about power differences. Maybe 30-40 do sometimes too, more of a "some do, some don't" - but over that age, not as many seem bothered by it. It's a cultural shift. Workplace relationships were certainly once very common (unless it was against policy) and a lot of people today are married to people they worked with - and obviously they were not always on equal rungs of the ladder.

by Anonymousreply 116January 18, 2022 6:28 PM

Why are workplace relationships bad? Most of the people I know got married to someone they met at work.

Day in and day out trapped in a confined space with someone with the added stress of work really produces a lot of relationships. With working from home now the norm, a lot of workplace romances won’t ever happen and a lot of marriages won’t ever be. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 117January 18, 2022 6:35 PM

"Public record" means something like filed court documents.

I'm not saying that the .edu emails were private, but they're not "public record."

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2022 6:37 PM

I though it was Matthew Perry

by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2022 6:40 PM

It's kind of sad how despite all the gains gays have made over the past 20 years, pussy continues to have a higher fatility rate for men in high-level positions. It's been a long while since someone was busted having an affair with a male employee.

by Anonymousreply 120January 18, 2022 6:40 PM

[quote]I thought it was Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry with Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2022 7:00 PM

Comments from the board at R93.

“So any love between Rochester and Jane Eyre must be prohibited because of Jane's subordination status? If we view any person in such position a full independent being, can we let her make that decision herself? If it's love, it's love. If you find it offensive, you are not considering everyone equal.”

“These rules are horrible. Many people meet their future husbands at work. If a woman wants to date a man who is established and making money why should she be restricted?“

“Can we stop acting like this was some babe in the woods? She was a long-time employee, his age, and made $200,000 a year plus lavish fringe benefits and pension.”

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2022 7:01 PM

Why is it men like Schlissel and r50 and John Darnell at Yale (Google that scandal) can't be discreet and keep their indiscretions quiet? Why do they have to flaunt them? It's usually the flaunting that gets them into trouble.

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2022 7:07 PM

Schlissel didn't flaunt this.

Posters are still not getting that this was just the latest thing in a series of controversies that had the Regents—ultimately a majority of them—exasperated with Schlissel and looking for a way to dump him. It's not just the adultery-over-official-email, although that was the violation (of a policy he'd trumpeted his support for when it was introduced) that was a step too far.

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2022 7:34 PM

R108 Click to see the full image, it’s even worse. She looks like a Midwest granny on her way to a church potluck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2022 9:47 PM

They're both unfortunate looking.

I guess it's true that water seeks its own level

by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2022 10:01 PM

You expect a guy making $1 million/year to look the part.

by Anonymousreply 127January 18, 2022 10:06 PM

How many hookers could he have hired for $1 million and still kept his job?

That pussy cost him MILLIONS. He's got to be kicking himself now.

by Anonymousreply 128January 18, 2022 10:20 PM

Any pictures of the mistress?

by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2022 10:22 PM

He didn't want a hooker, he wanted the girlfriend experience.

by Anonymousreply 130January 18, 2022 10:25 PM

He was in LURVE!

by Anonymousreply 131January 18, 2022 10:29 PM

R118

"Public record" is how the email are described by the University.

"Email messages are considered public records under the FOIA if they deal with university business or are maintained by the university related to university business."

Generally, messages that misuse a company's resources (including the email system itself) are considered to deal with business (even though the topics are personal).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 18, 2022 10:30 PM

And on top of the point R132 makes, the president of the University of Michigan is a state employee.

by Anonymousreply 133January 18, 2022 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!