Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Fox. No crickets, please. Really looking for responses.

When James Fox first hit the British cinema in the early 60s, he right up there with Finney, O’Toole, Hemmings, Bates, Stamp, Williamson, et al. He was edgy, dynamic, made very creative acting choices, and was anything but conventional. Four outstanding performances: The Servant, King Rat, The Chase, and Performance. If he doesn’t write his autobiography, we will never know what happened to that early spark. Whether it was exhaustion or a breakdown, when he came back in the late 70s, it was as if he had been subjected to daily electro shock treatments. His acting was dull, conventional, stuffy, and simply boring. Just right for the parts he’s played since: mainstream, button-down, square, English fuddy-duddies. Didn’t happen to his brother, though Edward Fox did become rather one note. His niece Emily is brilliant. Looks like his son, Lawrence has taken up the ballsy mantle with his un-woke convictions. Aside from the fact he's got talent.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2022 9:21 PM

Dear Joseph, you need to stay way from the cordial.

James was never 'edgy, dynamic, creative nor unconventional.'. He has explained all his issues about Jesus and Christianity in a few TV interviews which all seem to degenerate into silent meditations.

He was cute half a century ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2022 8:55 PM

OP, I've read that he was traumatized from the filming of 'Performance' and disappeared for awhile. This would be Fall 1968.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2022 9:04 PM

Edward has some interesting things to say about film-acting here.

(He's wearing a big beard from a recent stage production)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2022 9:07 PM

Yeah I know about the road to Damascus conversion, but there's got to be something more to it than that. I mean walking away from a career when you are in demand....got to have a screw loose. Especially when you were getting screwed by the hottest chicks, I men, Birds, every day.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2022 9:09 PM

Edward is lucid in that interview at R3 but all of James' interviews are opaque and he seems incapable of finishing his own sentences.

R4 You have no idea about the technicalities of James Fox's sex life. Gentleman put their penises into ladies; 'chicks' do not 'screw' men.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2022 9:14 PM

I saw Edward Fox perform on stage in the West End as Bernard Berenson in "Old Masters" about fifteen years ago--he was terrific. He's a small man, but he was energetic and very physically agile.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2022 9:18 PM

James says there's a tension for Christians being IN the world but also not being OF the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2022 10:03 PM

Reply 5..... Now you've listened to my story Here's the point that I have made Chicks were born to give you fever Be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade You give me fever.....

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2022 10:19 PM

James' performance in The Servant (1963) is remarkably good especially considering it was his film debut. It's truly a first-rate film in every respect

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2022 10:28 PM

Close. Loneliness of the Long Distant Runner - 1962 -was Jame's first

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2022 10:37 PM

One word...Tapioca

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2022 10:44 PM

Nah, check out those 60s performances. Tapioca after his come back for sure.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2022 10:48 PM

I want to say Performance messed him and I believe he got a divorce around that time, too.

However, I disagree with you about his post-Performance movies. He is pretty good in A Passage to India, The Mighty Quinn, The Russian House, The Remains of the Day, Sexy Beast, The Golden Bowl, and Sherlock Holmes.

Edward is a good actor, too. I never understood why people don't like him.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2022 11:02 PM

Tapioca, 1967

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2022 11:13 PM

[quote] I never understood why people don't like him

Because he's an actor with a scar on his face.

Because he's asked to play snipers, cads who are cruel to women and military men who set off The Amritsar Massacre of 1919.

This Simon Gray play is sympathetic and sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2022 11:37 PM

Gee what a real swell guy.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2022 11:46 PM

I've always gotten Edward and James confused. Until this thread I don't think I could have said which brother played which role, even which one was in Thoroughly Modern Millie. Are they twins? If not, who's older? Is there a big difference the way they've been perceived professionally and talent/wise?

But I think I'm seeing now that the big difference between them physically is their nose, yes? James' nose turns up and Edward's is more hawkish.....have I got that right?

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2022 11:46 PM

R9 Did you notice ANYTHING homosexual in that dry, acetic, antiseptic unsatisfying movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 12:04 AM

Yeah, it's hard to tell them apart. They both act queeny and faggy, especially James in Thoroughly Modern Millie, and The Servant. But then most Brit men act queeny and faggy to us Americans. Can you imagine Americans saying, "My dear boy," " My dear chap?" And we're supposed to be cousins? Limey, please.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 12:12 AM

dry, acetic, antiseptic unsatisfying movie?

Are you bloody serious, mate??? Perfect direction, perfect casting, perfect blend of Pinter's script with Losey's Mise-en-Scene. Notice how Losey builds tension in the clip, reply 18. Subtle, unobtrusive but there. Look at this film again, or take a course in cinema storytelling though editing, lighting, sound, casting, script, and camera placement.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 12:23 AM

Also, another spectacular performance by Dirk Bogarde, proving once again how neglected he is when people speak of great film acting. He's a master.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 12:29 AM

[quote] Dirk Bogarde

Appears nude on screen.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 12:35 AM

R18 There is an underlying suggestion of homosexuality as the servant comes to dominate his master and they both share the same woman. The Servant has thematic similarities to both Performance which also starred Fox and Dead Ringers.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 1:56 AM

[quote] underlying suggestion of homosexuality

The author of this tiny little novella may have been an overt homosexual but I watched this dry, acetic, antiseptic unsatisfying, short, little movie and found no depiction or allusion to homosexual behaviour.

[quote] they both share the same woman

Are you saying that the servant and the employer both fornicated with that flat-faced scrubber or that pointy nosed woman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 2:19 AM

R24 and dry, acetic and antiseptic describe the style and tone of the film perfectly. The LA Times described it as "brilliantly icy" and the NY Times said 'it wafts a thick and acrid air of smoldering truth'

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 2:41 AM

Swinging 60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 2:43 AM

He may have been cute very briefly before he became so wrinkly.

Some Datalounger insists that he played a character who had a repressed homosexual attraction to another character in this dreary black and white movie.

But I didn't detect any.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 2:50 AM

Never seen Bryan Forbes King Rat, but it looks like an interesting film. Actor, writer and director Forbes had made several good films none of which are alike in subject matter: Whistle Down the Wind, The L-Shaped Room, seance on a Wet Afternoon, The Whisperers. Long Ago Tomorrow and The Stepford Wives (1974)

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 3:46 AM

Bryan Forbes had a good career going in the 60s unfortunately he tarnished his reputation by insisting he put his wife Nanette Newman in more than 20 of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 4:08 AM

Nanette Newman is memorable in 'The Stepford Wives' repeatedly saying, "I'll just die if I don't get this recipe'" and she and Malcolm McDowell are excellent in Long Ago Tomorrow' in what seems to be the only starring role she had in one of her husband's films and she's fine as the mother of the kidnapped girl in 'Seance on a Wet Afternoon'

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 4:48 AM

The Fox dynasty is like the Redgrave's, only wider. James and Edward's father was a big time agent. I think their other brother is an agent. Then there's actors Lawrence, Emily, Freddie, and....one more, I believe

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 4:54 AM

R31 You forgot to mention the well-connected casting director and "éminence grise" Miss Celestia Fox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 5:23 AM

R27 I detected that repressed sexuality thing you are talking about too. He’d become so attached to the George segal character by the end of the movie, their goodbye scene was heartbreaking how segal just left and it seemed clear the fox had more to say and wanted a bigger goodbye. It was a similar feeling I got from watching Sal mineo and James dean in rebel without a cause.

With regards to other gay leaning characters:

His character in “the loneliness of the long distance runner” while not gay was very soft in comparison to the Tom Courtenay one and rather camp too, in a public school boy kind of way, a sort of precursor to his character in “the servant” but softer than that.

The servant - as someone already pointed out, this had a very interesting homosexual subtext.

Thoroughly modern millie - this whole film is like a gay wet dream. Wonder how fox and John Gavin interacted behind the scenes, both were hot at the time.

Performance - already mentioned the similarities between this and “the servant” in terms of the possible homosexual subtext.

Fox was also in at least one of those roddy mcdowall Malibu beach videos. He accompanied George segal from what I remember.

I believe he deliberately chose to imbue his early characters with this homosexual subtext and it was quite different at the time as not many others were doing this or taking on these types of characters.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 6:11 AM

His character in absolute beginners was also gay wasn’t he? I think he was portrayed as closeted but I could be misremembering. But I think I remember watching it and then remembering all the other gay leaning characters the actor had portrayed previously.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 6:17 AM

Laurence Fox is a douchebag anti-vaxxer.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2022 6:22 AM

His first movie credit, at age 11. was "The Miniver Story", as Greer Garson's son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2022 6:31 AM

That film also starred John Hodiak, short lived hunk, who was even more hunkier in "Lifeboat." Talluah and he had great sexual chemistry together. No gay overtones there, unless you think Talluah was secretly a chick with a dick.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2022 7:03 AM

Thoroughly modern millie - this whole film is like a gay wet dream.

yeah, cause it was produced by Ross Hunter. What do you expect? To quote Fred Allen: "It's the fairies baseball."

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2022 7:09 AM

English male actors - straight, bi, and gay - past and present are by default very campy. I had a friend who worked at the National Theatre when was head master, and he described Larry as very high camp. Maybe with one exception.....

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2022 7:24 AM

[quote] Loneliness of the Long Distant Runner

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2022 7:26 AM

Look for James in the Roddy McDowell Malibu 1965 beach party home movies. He's seen there with Jane Fonda, Julie Andrews and George Segal.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2022 1:21 PM

^ James worked with Jane in The Chase, Julie in TMM and Segal in King Rat

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2022 2:55 PM

James Fox was good in High Season with Jackie Bisset.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2022 3:28 PM

He could hold his own with Anthony Hopkins in The Remains of the Day.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2022 5:00 PM

[quote] He could hold his own

You sound like R33 who sees non-existent sex.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2022 7:55 PM

I am the instigator for this thread, and thanks to the many responses, I am going to revise my opinion of James's work after his come back. Yes, indeed he still had his mojo working and gave some intense and creative performances in the 80s. It wasn't until the mid-90s when he could no longer play those jaded romantic leads that his work became dull, conventional, stuffy, and simply boring. His parts became mainstream, conventionally button-down, square, and as a result, he excelled in playing nothing more than English fuddy-duddies.

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2022 8:57 PM

R46 Actors are paid to impersonate other persons. You should make NO assumption about their personal personality.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2022 9:06 PM

The only thing I know him from, is "Thoroughly Modern Millie". And upon seeing the film...I wanted to fuck him immediately. I need to brush up on the work of James Fox!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2022 9:20 PM

He never had any body. Actors weren't expected to have bodies in those days.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2022 9:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!