Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

America will protect Ukraine

Right?

They are not just going to sit by, right? What do we have this huge military for?

This is a test of American might. Too many attacks have gone unanswered. Now is the time to respond.

by Anonymousreply 243January 27, 2022 2:20 PM

Where is Ukraine?

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2022 12:44 AM

Pay us first.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2022 12:45 AM

OP Only if the UN become involved, the US effectively invading the Ukraine to protect it would be unpopular and problematic.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2022 12:46 AM

Have you heard the joke about Edna Everage giving an atlas to George Bush?

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2022 12:48 AM

America can’t even protect its own goddamn border, we’re supposed to be worried about Ukraine’s?

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2022 12:51 AM

Russian, or other state actor, thread taking the temperature and beat testing ideas…

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2022 12:53 AM

Does Ukraine have oil?

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2022 1:24 AM

We'll be sending Biden Hunter to get Russian soldiers addicted to crack.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2022 1:31 AM

I'm ok with this but in exchange they should allow us to go back to calling them "The Ukraine." I always forget.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2022 1:31 AM

Ukraine should be used as an excuse to have Putin assassinated. Little fucking mongoloid creature. Almost as ugly as the Trump clan.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 2:23 AM

Putin will invade. The US won't do anything except freezing some savings account. EU will send some stern notes to Moscow and debate sanctions for five years. China will offer Russia some deals in the meantime.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2022 2:32 AM

Why would any foreign country trust the Americans to help them? When the going gets tough, the Americans run and leave the allies behind to get slaughtered.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2022 2:33 AM

Well so far the UK, France and Germany have issued warnings to Russia. Though they're not sending troops but will probably consider sanctions post invasion and refusal to withdraw. Good luck guys?

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2022 2:52 AM

[quote] I'm ok with this but in exchange they should allow us to go back to calling them "The Ukraine." I always forget.

When I was a kid it was called Ukrania

Then the Ukraine.

Now Ukraine.

I’m a little sick of their nonbinarism.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 4:03 AM

America is not going to protect Ukraine. Russia has always known that.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 4:04 AM

Why is everybody all “no boots on the ground” about it all. This is war. How long are we going to let the fascists kick us around? We spend 700 billion a year on the military just to watch all that equipment sit there and rust.

Let’s stop all these attacks once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 5:53 AM

Whatever happened to war hawks?

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 5:53 AM

Here come the refugee floods all over again. Watch everyone complain about the refugees and not talk about why they are there like last time. They don’t come from Pluto you know.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 5:54 AM

Why hasn’t the squad tried to do anything to help Ukraine?

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 5:57 AM

“the US effectively invading the Ukraine”

Who is saying that?

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 5:58 AM

They could just do some light bombing, for the faint of heart.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 5:58 AM

*feint

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 5:59 AM

The military is useless if you can’t use it times like these. There are only a handful of free countries left. We have to have each other’s backs.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 6:02 AM

Can you imagine all the slaughtered Ukrainian children? The millions of immigrants driven into the heart of Europe? I think the world has suffered enough at the hands of the fascists.

Biden is the Commander in Chief. Surely he will defend our allies.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2022 6:04 AM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2022 6:05 AM

Let Europe worry about it

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 6:06 AM

This is going to be another Syria. Then on the next country. This is never going to end at this rate.

Can the world handle another 25 million immigrants? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 6:09 AM

Nip it the bud.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 6:09 AM

The U.S. used to be able to slap a war together in a long weekend. It’s getting rusty.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2022 6:11 AM

A war can bring the country together. Finally. It can give us all something really around and give us another 50 years of prosperity. Sometimes it must be done. To save democratic ideals and all the things our veterans have died for.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 6:13 AM

Isn't America tired of being kicked around by all these despots? They just can’t be happy with their billions and palaces?

I think deplorables and liberals could agree on that.

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2022 6:15 AM

CFR intern, you need to clean the espresso machine after you make a mess. Same with you Bechtel and Raytheon interns. And then get back to work demanding war.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2022 6:45 AM

No. We will not. We will use sanctions and embargo, and maybe supply the Ukrainians with weapons and technical support, but we will not have boots on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2022 6:58 AM

[quote] How long are we going to let the fascists kick us around?

[quote] Isn't America tired of being kicked around by all these despots?

Eh... in what way are we kicked around when Russia invades Ukraine? How is America kicked around when Putin invades Ukraine? There are some pretty precise rule sets that state when the US should get involved: When the US or a NATO partner gets invaded. Or: When the UN okays sending troops. Otherwise: Stay out of it.

The USA won't get invaded by Russia. NATO hasn't even considered making Ukraine a partner. (I don't believe Ukraine didn't ask either.) So, no emergency on the NATO front. The UN won't say much because you know who sits in the security council. So I don't see any immediate need for the US to send troops. If you're concerned about long term repercussions of Russia's imperial itches, do something in non-armed ways.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2022 11:34 AM

Militarily? No. We'll make Russia pay with stronger economic sanctions. The USA can not be the bodyguard of the rest of the world. If the rest of the European continent doesn't care enough about Ukraine to send their troops in to help, then that's on them, not us.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2022 11:42 AM

“but we will not have boots on the ground.”

Why not? This is a red line that is a lot of media people say but I’ve never heard that officially.

American companies are being attacked every day by the same players. It’s the same enemies as Ukraine and I hope America finally fights back.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2022 2:13 PM

^ Fill me in please. Which companies, which same players?

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2022 2:49 PM

If Russia invades Ukraine a couple of things will happen almost immediately.

1. Russia is cut off from SWIFT, crippling its economy which will be felt by nearly everyone in that country.

2. Russia will cut off supplies of gas to Europe. This will cause some short term pain but it can be mitigated by LNG brought in from the Middle East and Norway.

3. Ukraine’s army is significantly better trained and equipped than it was during its last confrontation with Russia in 2014, including Javelin anti-tank missiles from the U.S and missile-armed drones from Turkey which have already proven effective in Donbass and has Putin nervous (see teh recent conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia where the former’s use of these drones won the war for them).

4. There will be a mysterious nationwide power blackout in Russia, lasting days to weeks before power is fully restored. Meanwhile thousands either freeze to death or die of carbon monoxide poisoning from portable gas heaters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2022 3:19 PM

Forgot to add to #2 above. Sure, Russia can retaliate by cutting off gas supplies but they’ll be cutting off their nose to spite their face: they lose their primary source of revenue.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2022 3:23 PM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2022 3:29 PM

What's the blackout (4) about? Where would that be coming from?

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2022 3:29 PM

Well that’s wild card I added to the list. You can bet that both Russia and Ukraine will engage in cyber warfare at the start of any conflict, the latter possibly getting clandestine help from the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2022 3:45 PM

I hope so, Ukrainian men are sexy, or at least the ones I've met in the US. Like getting a Russian guy without the baggage of Russia. Tall, lanky, uncut, dry sense of humor, sexy accent. Please protect those sexy men.

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2022 4:23 PM

R38/r43, I can see cyber warfare starting to make splash in some way. And I would welcome that.

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2022 4:40 PM

[QUOTE] Can you imagine all the slaughtered Ukrainian children? The millions of immigrants driven into the heart of Europe?

Yeah I can imagine that—if we got involved and turned it into a war. The next thing you know, Ukrainians will be in the streets burning American flags and blaming us for everything that happened.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2022 6:40 PM

I feel like the U.S. has been tricked into receding into not defending itself, and freedom at large, and is letting itself be done in by a thousands cuts.

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2022 9:32 PM

This will give this deplorable something focus on and let off some steam.

If they love freedom and liberty so much they should be fighting for our allies.

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 9:33 PM

Where is the squad. You haven’t heard a peep from them. Mainstream Democrats are calling for action.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 9:34 PM

OP replied in this thread 18 times already, most notably in blocks from R 16 to 24 and 46 to 48. Didn't realize it at first, but will stop feeding the troll now.

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2022 10:05 PM

Right? Right?

OP, let's don't.

by Anonymousreply 50January 15, 2022 10:07 PM

Remember it was Angela Merkel who vetoed Ukraine NATO membership.

by Anonymousreply 51January 15, 2022 10:07 PM

OP you reply to yourself a lot you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 52January 15, 2022 10:08 PM

The EU needs to build up their own army. Putin's aggressiveness has A LOT to do with Merkel and Macron appeasing Russia.

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2022 10:13 PM

Excuse me, Miss Ukraine, with all due respect, I have problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 54January 15, 2022 11:32 PM

OP, why is it incumbent on America to protect them? Europeans have spent the last 20+ years telling America to keep our military out of other countries, to stop meddling in other countries' politics, stop engaging in military conflict, to stop using our position on the world stage to 'bully' other countries, to get our military bases out of Europe, to scale back our military because the size is unnecessary, to stop spending so much on defense because it's excessive, and to generally fuck off because the world would be better off without our constant interference and perfect if we didn't exist. We shouldn't help them, nor should we help any other European country. The rest of the world wants us to stay out of their business, let's show them what that looks like in practice.

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2022 6:55 AM

Is it OK to be gay in Ukraine?

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2022 7:22 AM

R34 central Europe would wecome every Ukrainian here. They're decent people. However, that's not the point here. Actually we're dreading both options: Russia setting a precedent, simply invading a country and no one can do anything about it, and Russia invading the Ukraine and a war next door. For those advocating airstrikes and similar: Have you lost your goddamn mind? Even the Ukrainians I know play it close to the chest concerning what they think is more awful - that a foreign power assists them or that no one does. At the Merkel/Macron hater it's a popular narrative that poor Putin has to retaliate out of self defence because the NATO (or the EU) are diminishing his influence. It's obviously not true. Russia did nothing to endear itself to its neighbours, at all. That's why there is absolutely no love lost between the Ukraine and Russia nor has there ever been. That and, you know, the clusterfuck the USSR was. Have you seen how Russia actually is? It's okay if you're an oligarch.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2022 7:43 AM

Ukraine has the biggest plane in the world, the Antonov 225 Mryia.

Fascinating!

Little Putty would love to get his hands on that one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2022 8:41 AM

OP has switched IP addresses and now posts as 51, 53 and 58. From his 20-something replies I'm assuming he's a Ukranian troll. He could be Russian, too. Trolls from Russia do not necessarily try to further a certain point of view. They're usually content to just stir up shit and spread confusion and uncertainty to destabilize.

Strictly legally speaking, Europe or the US, or any other country are not obligated to support Ukraine. They are actually prohibited to interfere with military action. If Ukraine wants military support it would need to shore it up with treaties or NATO membership. And Ukraine doesn't have any of it. They opted not to request joining the EU, and they have not joined NATO. Trolling for support in a gay online forum may not be the most effective way to get this type of support. Joining NATO like the Baltic states did may have been a much better way to accomplish this.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2022 1:50 PM

They haven't joined NATO because Merkel vetoed it.

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2022 2:30 PM

Um..Russia supplies Europe with petroluem products. Delivery lines run through Ukraine. They can turn off the taps any time and screw everyone. So, sanctions and UN backed softcore measures are the only mitigation here.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2022 11:20 PM

Of course not. Ukraine is just a tool to screw with Russia. Once it's no longer of use, it will be abandoned to its fate just like Afghanistan. The US influence overseas is falling like dominoes. The whole "encirclement" strategy is failing badly. Both Russia and China are turning the table and extending their influence in the world. Soon, the US and its allies will be the ones encircled.

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2022 11:34 PM

What do you think NS2 is for R61? The transfer contract of Russian gas running through Ukrainian pipelines to the EU expires in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2022 11:45 PM

Fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2022 11:46 PM

R30, wanting to unite America is not sufficient reason to start a war. War involves the suffering and death of thousands. And some in Ukraine want to be part of Russia, or at least don't strongly oppose it...they are cultural cousins, not bitter enemies who want to kill each other. Meanwhile, Russia has been suffering inflation and poverty levels for near 44 percent of the population. I don't want their soldiers to die just because I don't like Putin, or American soldiers, or the Ukrainian people who would suffer terribly in a war. Prevent the war, maintain the peace. The US needs attention to it's domestic conflicts, not a war.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2022 11:50 PM

R59 is the stinking troll in here. Who made you the boss? You don’t get to make decisions for America. Have you even even been here?

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2022 11:54 PM

I have had enough of these foreigners trying to tell America what to do.

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2022 12:07 AM

R62 let the cat out of the bag. So we are anti US now? Disgusting pigs.

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2022 12:41 AM

The foreign trolls protest too much

What are they afraid of? Ukraine having allies? I hope these fascist get what’s coming.

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2022 12:42 AM

R59 thinks he can control U.S. foreign policy from his hovel. Good luck with that. His dial up internet is why it takes so long to respond.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2022 12:43 AM

Why don't Germany, and the countries like Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary which are all in Ukraine's backyard worry about protecting it? It isn't America's problem.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2022 12:47 AM

Must be bedtime in Moldova.

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2022 12:48 AM

Robby Benson says we should hold off on invading Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2022 1:20 AM

These bully fascists are a plague.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2022 1:26 AM

R59 is 100% correct

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2022 1:30 AM

Biden is the commander in chief.

Mighty Joe is old school and has something up his sleeve.

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2022 1:33 AM

R73 is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2022 1:36 AM

France, Australia, UK, Japan also need step up and any other country who likes freedom and liberty.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2022 1:40 AM

Where is the celebrity crusade to #saveUkraine ?

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2022 1:41 AM

Where is Bono and his concert?

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2022 1:42 AM

R79 No Jews to blame, so no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2022 5:50 AM

Please Americans, stop protecting democracy. Didn't you see all the Middle Eastern refugees roaming around Europe.

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2022 6:40 AM

[quote]And some in Ukraine want to be part of Russia, or at least don't strongly oppose it...

That's false, again and again Ukrainians expressed they wanted less cooperation with Moscow and more with the EU and USA. Why do you think they kicked Putin's puppet Yanucovich out of the country?

But nice try Dimitri!

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2022 8:04 AM

The question of whether the EU should build up their own combat ready army has been rejected by several NATO generals. The aim was always 2% of the GDP goes to military spending for NATO, but not for the EU doing their own thing.

Most senior NATO officials don't think the EU is ready for pulling off a unified army that doesn't fall into the chaos of discussing dozens of strategy options once things get hairy. The forces that are tearing the EU apart are strong in the last 5 years, they can't agree on anything any more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2022 8:18 AM

The Ukraine?

How about we kill the insurrectionists and traitors in the U.S. like you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2022 9:12 AM

This is Europe's problem. I'm sick of us being the police of the world and getting into everyone's business around the globe. We have problems right here at home that needs to be dealt with aggressively. I really wouldn't mind if we became an isolationist country once again. I think FDR had the right idea by being isolationist when he was president. We really need to put focus on building America back up again. So much focus on the rest of the world is why we're in the predicament we're in now domestically.

It's time to put America first again. Because the lights are flickering. It's time for the UK Australia France Japan and Germany to step up and take some of the global policing burden off of America's hands for a while, just like a poster up thread said. Everything always seems to fall on the United States to take care of. I'm really to see more of a focus on America again. The time is now!

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2022 10:30 AM

R83, it’s become much more rancorous since 2014, but still there are many people in Ukraine who have family in Russia, as well as a significant minority of around 17 percent who support Russia. So if this became a war, it could be a civil war. And a war fought in Ukraine would be terrible for everyone involved- all those weapons would just end up causing the deaths of thousands of people, and after that was over, the bitterness and hate that led to the war would still be there and probably cause even more wars in the future. If there was a war, there would have to be a lot more at stake than thinking a war would unite the US - wars cause bloodbaths; no one wants to be united by a war. If there’s a way to handle it diplomatically that’s how I hope it’s done.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2022 12:02 PM

Who's pulling up troops on the east Ukrainian border, who invaded Donbas and annexed Crimea. The only one warmongering is Putin.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2022 12:07 PM

Ex-Nato secretary general: "Finland and Sweden could become members overnight"

In an interview with Yle published on Saturday, former Nato Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen discussed this past week's series of talks between Russian, European and US officials aimed at de-escalating tensions surrounding Ukraine

"In practice, Russia is demanding a veto over Nato enlargement. The doors of Nato will remain open, and we do not want Vladimir Putin to serve as a doorman," he said.

Rasmussen said he does not believe that Russia will attack Ukraine.

"I think a Russian attack would provoke a discussion in Finland and Sweden regarding future Nato membership…so the price would be extremely high for Putin to attack Ukraine," said the former Danish prime minister.

According to Rasmussen, Finland and Sweden are Nato's closest partners.

"If Finland and Sweden applied for membership, we could decide on it overnight. You could be a member the very next day because you meet all the necessary membership criteria," said Rasmussen, who was Nato Secretary General from 2009 to 2014.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2022 12:14 PM

R88, yes, he is the only one warmongering. But he’s doing it because he’s in a position of power - he probably doesn’t care about how many people die in Ukraine as long as he, himself, looks good. So, whatever can be done diplomatically to make him feel in less of a position of power, that’s what I would want. A war in Ukraine wouldn’t harm Putin himself. He’ll be far from the front lines - all the physical consequences of war would be felt by Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2022 12:19 PM

I switch between thinking Putty bit up more than he can chew and he is looking for a way out to save face and Putty is so nuts he will risk Russia's collapse with a full scale war on Ukraine, a war he can't afford and cannot not win.

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2022 12:20 PM

Good luck with Putty's oligarchs coughing up the money to sustain years and years of war on Ukraine when the West has cut off all his money. Me thinks Putty will have some polonium put in his tea in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2022 12:25 PM

Who keeps telling America to cower away in the core we and abandon all their allies? That was Trumps thing.

He is gone now.

by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2022 1:15 PM

R93, diplomacy is not cowardice. Apparently some 44 percent of people in Russia or possibly as many as 60 percent are living at the poverty line. What could NATO do as a good will gesture that would shift Russian public opinion against Putin’s aggression? Right now Putin is framing it in Russia that NATO are outside military forces trying to interfere; if a war happens he will blame the death toll of the war on NATO refusing to remove military bases. Any war will make Russia particularly bankrupt since it is already deeply struggling, and I believe that war would also destabilize the US, because the cost of it would be tremendous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2022 2:03 PM

Nobody in the current US government is talking about direct military intervention.

Plenty of discussion going around regarding cyberattacks and kneeing Russia in the nuts. (see SWIFT)

Not sure what NATO's plans are at this point.

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2022 2:24 PM

“This situation looks like a classical example of the “prisoner’s dilemma” in game theory. Neither NATO nor Russia is willing to initiate cooperation, because it may lose its position if the other side uses this at its expense. One way or another, such logic takes place in diplomacy. As it is known from the dilemma, and it was also proven mathematically, the best tactic for both sides is to cooperate. But, as prisoners, NATO and Russia separately choose to maximize their own benefits at the expense of the other side, and this leads to losses for them. It is a trap, and as I demonstrate later in example of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the only way out is to trust your partner.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2022 2:47 PM

BREAKING:

British military aircraft rapidly supplying weapons to Ukraine

Germany denies air rights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2022 11:02 PM

America needs to at the least give Ukraine some of these old rusty weapons that nobody is using.

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2022 11:05 PM

Where does it say that Germany is denying air rights, R97?

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2022 11:14 PM

“The C-17 transport aircraft are in flight as we speak, Germany has apparently denied overflight rights judging by the path taken.”

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2022 11:51 PM

That's a very vaguest assumption R100, there is a myriad of reasons for that particular flightpath.

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2022 12:07 AM

Could have been a courtesy but the real question is why isn’t everyone helping? Germany should be helping too.

This would have never happened 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2022 12:33 AM

Word is Putin is just doing it to flex his muscles because of so much bad publicity over the past few years: his decadent palaces; poisonings; stolen elections; foreign election interference...

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2022 12:47 AM

It looks like Canada will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2022 2:29 AM

Come on U.S. You can do it too!

by Anonymousreply 105January 18, 2022 2:31 AM

The US has supplied Ukraine with a large amount of weaponry, yes?

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2022 3:27 AM

We need to send in the deplorables. Let them work out some of their aggression.

The love to wave the flag of freedom and go on and on about liberty so where is their voice in this? Now is a chance to put all that patriotism to good use. Americans should unite against the fascists.

by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2022 3:32 AM

Russia has an authoritarian government but I don't think they count as fascist

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2022 4:09 AM

W T F !!

Germany continues blocking arms exports to Ukraine due to new foreign ‘peace’ policy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2022 8:29 AM

Taiwan yes. Ukraine no.

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2022 8:46 AM

Ukraine is a strategically important country, esp to the EU. Ukrainians want to be part of Europe and NATO. 20 useless years and 2 T dollars waisted on a shithole like Afghanistan, ridiculous! Invest in people that actually appreciate and want democracy.

by Anonymousreply 111January 18, 2022 9:09 AM

There has been a foul, yet familiar stench emanating from Germany over the last couple of years. It’s been most pronounced over the last year.

by Anonymousreply 112January 18, 2022 9:14 AM

R112 WW1, WW11 - they'll do it again sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 113January 18, 2022 9:44 AM

“Asked about Germany’s refusal to send defensive weapons to Ukraine, as requested by the government in Kyiv, Baerbock said the government’s new restrictive arms export policy is “rooted in our history”.

Uhhhh…

by Anonymousreply 114January 18, 2022 10:01 AM

Where are all the other democracies?

They should be lining up to help Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 115January 18, 2022 10:06 AM

[quote] Have you heard the joke about Edna Everage giving an atlas to George Bush?

George Bush rings her up in England in the middle of the night (because he doesn't know about time zones).

He thanks her for the present of the atlas, but he's insistent, he asks "Edna, I'm looking in the index in this atlas but I can't find 'A' for 'Abroad'.

by Anonymousreply 116January 18, 2022 10:38 AM

Everyday people don't know anything about Ukraine or care that it exists. Russia is only vilified among white collar professionals, most Americans laugh at TV propaganda against Russia.

A war would be a terrible idea for the Biden administration, it would be massively unpopular with the exact demographics that supply most of the soldiers who fight our wars. You don't want those people protesting a foreign war before it even really begins.

Not to mention war is always a terrible idea.

by Anonymousreply 117January 18, 2022 11:34 AM

R110 Taiwan neither. Biden's hands are tied.

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2022 11:35 AM

“A war would be a terrible idea for the Biden administration, it would be massively unpopular”

This is the great mind trick of 2022. Convincing America that she is not allowed to defend herself nor to help her allies in any way whatsoever.

I don’t agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2022 11:43 AM

R119 That's the most neocon comment I've seen on DL in a long time. Defending ourselves from what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 120January 18, 2022 11:54 AM

The daily ransom ware attacks. They election meddling. The hacking. The cyber attacks. The spreading of guns to Americans through the NRA…they are infiltrating America. On our own soil. The propaganda. The social media onslaught. Sponsoring American politicians. 2016. 2020. What’s next? What are we going to do about it?

If we are being tested, then we have failed the test.

NOTHING?

by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2022 12:00 PM

Not everybody is a shrinking coward.

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2022 12:01 PM

Germany's tied up in a pipeline deal with Russia, yes?

That would at explain (if not excuse) the corrupt motives behind not sending weapons.

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2022 12:03 PM

Look at r20.

Now defending ones sovereignty is now considered “neocon”

Clearly the trick worked to convince America that it’s not allowed to even defend itself. Let alone take preemptive action.

What a fall from power and it was too easy.

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2022 12:04 PM

R120

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2022 12:04 PM

Look, you either deal with creeping threats or they deal with you.

This goes for termites, rust, neglect…. Either you deal with it or suffer.

by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2022 12:06 PM

This war came to us. We were not asking for it. But it’s here now.

by Anonymousreply 127January 18, 2022 12:07 PM

Hi, OP, who is most of the posts on this thread.

Can you go into some detail about what your specific desired action from the U.S. is with regards to the Ukraine?

Are you Ukrainian or something?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 128January 18, 2022 12:08 PM

Everybody get a load of r128:

Spike THREADS Poster has started 0 threads which have received 0 replies, has received 5 WW votes and has posted 7 replies to threads.

by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2022 12:10 PM

The better question is who are YOU?

by Anonymousreply 130January 18, 2022 12:12 PM

Most likely an algorithm or bot from the far east

by Anonymousreply 131January 18, 2022 12:13 PM

The economic situation out there is now so grotesque and bleak.

For every sucker paying inflated rent there is some millionaire raking it in. They are swimming in money. Not to mention the mega large rental companies. They are printing money. Pure profit.

by Anonymousreply 132January 18, 2022 12:15 PM

^ wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 133January 18, 2022 12:16 PM

This situation is changing by the hour.

Germany has the cards here. Let’s see how this plays:

Germany cannot rule out Nord Stream 2 as means of pressure, says foreign policy expert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 18, 2022 12:35 PM

I'm really curious to see what Merkel will do now that she's retired from chancellorhood. If she's accepting a job on a Russian or Chinese industry board or bank, like her predecessor did, it will be a huge blow for Germany. People are already delusioned about government, if they find out mutti Merkel was really a commie stooge all those years, it will have irreparable consequences.

by Anonymousreply 135January 18, 2022 12:38 PM

Indeed. It will be interesting to see.

by Anonymousreply 136January 18, 2022 12:39 PM

Turkey's Erdogan says Russian invasion of Ukraine not realistic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 18, 2022 12:55 PM

Interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 18, 2022 12:56 PM

We didn’t protect Georgia when Russian-backed separatists declared South Ossetia and Abkhazia “independent.” See also Transnistria and Nagorno-Karabakh, not to mention Russia’s control over dictators like Lukashenko and Kadyrov (in Chechnya). Putin already took Crimea, arguably more important than the Donbass. We didn’t do shit when separatists shot down MH17, the Dutch didn’t even recall their ambassador from Moscow. The Kremlin has also been backing Serbian nationalists politicians in Bosnia in the hopes of splintering that country’s fragile peace—a strategy that seems to be working. But now because weaponry and troops are being moved to the border (again) we’re supposed to be all up in arms? Not convincing.

by Anonymousreply 139January 18, 2022 1:08 PM

WASHINGTON, Jan 18 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden's top diplomat will visit Kyiv this week after talks with Russia ended in a stalemate last week amid concerns in Washington that Moscow is preparing to invade Ukraine.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken will meet Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Wednesday, the U.S. State Department said on Tuesday.

Blinken then heads to Berlin for a meeting with German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock to be followed by a meeting with the Transatlantic Quad, the department said in a statement, referring to a format that involves the United States, Britain, France and Germany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 18, 2022 1:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 18, 2022 1:21 PM

. @PewResearch

: 62% support Ukraine becoming a NATO member; 28% oppose.

56% say US shd use force to defend NATO ally v. Russia; 37% say don't

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 18, 2022 1:22 PM

@jonathanvswan Is so hot I can’t take it.

by Anonymousreply 143January 18, 2022 1:22 PM

It’s all going to come down to Germany, Im afraid.

And the U.S.

but the U.K. and Canada deserve some major respect.

by Anonymousreply 144January 18, 2022 1:27 PM

Speaking of Afghanistan - over 40,000 civilians in Afghanistan died in the war, compared to about 2,500 US soldiers. The toll of the war was so heavy in Afghanistan itself that it would put in question how much it could help them, no matter how good the cause, because the war was ongoing and impossible to win. There was one point about 20 years ago when Putin actually wanted Russia to join NATO. For the actual people that live there - not those with money but the average person on the ground- it would be better if this was solved without war. NATO can send troops too as a show of strength but only showing the stick and not the carrot is wrong. Give Putin something he wants and ask something in return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 18, 2022 1:28 PM

Terrible. But can you imagine how much worse it would have been without the US fighting back the taliban?

Definitely a mess over there given the terrain. Ukraine is nothing like this. Completely different circumstances.

Shouldn’t even be in this thread. Apples to grapefruits.

by Anonymousreply 146January 18, 2022 1:33 PM

We don’t negotiate with terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 147January 18, 2022 1:33 PM

Biden's handlers want war.

by Anonymousreply 148January 18, 2022 1:35 PM

War is effectively changing from actual combat to financial sanctions. I've thought for a long time that future war will be like that OST episode where Kirk and party land on the planet that does computer war and then their citizens report to the disintegration chambers if their quadrant is hit.

by Anonymousreply 149January 18, 2022 1:36 PM

Make Putin a cup of plutonium tea. Invite Dump over, too.

by Anonymousreply 150January 18, 2022 1:38 PM

R147, not wanting to compromise and make an attempt at coming to a truce on things has the potential to destroy humanity. In the name of the Cold War we have super-weapons that could destroy cities even by accident. And the US actually spent 11 times what Russia did on national defense - Russia is going through a period of extreme inflation and economic recession such that many think what he’s doing in Ukraine is more posturing in an attempt to gain ground rather than an actual war attempt, since Russia can’t really afford a war. Can you imagine if the money we allocate towards weapons we hope to never use was used on rebuilding the government infrastructure, which badly needs it? That’s what Biden needs, to rebuild the trust in government efficiency and ability to ensure everyone has access to food and shelter. He can’t do that and also fund a war.

by Anonymousreply 151January 18, 2022 1:58 PM

Germany signals it could halt gas pipeline if Russia invades Ukraine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152January 18, 2022 6:26 PM

The last thing we need is to get into a war with Russia.

by Anonymousreply 153January 18, 2022 6:32 PM

We are already in a war. The question is are we going to fight back or just sit back and take it?

by Anonymousreply 154January 18, 2022 6:57 PM

R154, it’s more complicated than that. NATO has sanctions on Russia because of what happened in Crimea in 2014 - but aside from the way the annexation of Crimea cost 10,000 Ukrainian lives - and despite that was called a “bloodless war” - the majority of Ukrainians in Crimea had been ethnically Russian - 65 percent. But it’s not as though being ethnically Russian means being pro-Putin; Putin has been suppressing free speech and any opposition parties; people in Russia don’t have much choice. Whether a war would solve things - well, this is a war on Ukrainian soil, and to the extent Russian soldiers would be fighting it, they don’t even necessarily want to be fighting it. Many of the ethnically Russian people in Crimea supported an independent Ukraine but they also had family in Russia and did not want to fight Russian soldiers. So, a show of force by NATO is good, but Putin has too much power not to yield to him on something. He will just throw other peoples’ lives away if he doesn’t get at least something he wants. But with a show of power by NATO maybe that would be less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 18, 2022 7:50 PM

DL is neoliberal land. Lots of armchair generals with nothing on the line advocating military engagement on the other side of the planet.

by Anonymousreply 156January 18, 2022 7:55 PM

R142, that's from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 157January 18, 2022 7:56 PM

Is there a single current service member here? Among all the DLers pushing for "protecting our interests" in Ukraine?

by Anonymousreply 158January 18, 2022 7:59 PM

Ukraine: We want to join NATO for protection

Russia: Don’t worry, we are protecting you! Here comes Army, Air Force, all kinds rockets.to keep you safe. Sleep well, friends!

by Anonymousreply 159January 18, 2022 9:09 PM

Most people in Russia do not want a war with Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 18, 2022 9:38 PM

Lord help us.

by Anonymousreply 161January 19, 2022 9:23 AM

Never give up your nukes in return for a guarantee of protection. You won't get it. Never give up nukes for any reason. For anyone watching.

by Anonymousreply 162January 19, 2022 9:32 AM

Even if they turn into loose nukes, R162?

by Anonymousreply 163January 19, 2022 11:43 AM

The funny thing is Russia doesn't like all it's neighbors joining NATO but the reason they are joining NATO is because they are afraid of Russia invading them.

by Anonymousreply 164January 19, 2022 4:10 PM

[quote] Never give up nukes for any reason. For anyone watching

I hear ya.

by Anonymousreply 165January 19, 2022 4:12 PM

I don't see why Ukraine doesn't declare that they will never join NATO, doing so would remove Russia's excuse for invading.

NATO isn't going to invite Ukraine to join while Russia has 100,000 troops on the border, so Ukraine will be giving up nothing. Putin isn't going to live forever, future Ukrainian leaders can claim it wasn't them that made that promise and join NATO if they still want to after Putin. It is better than being invaded.

by Anonymousreply 166January 19, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]I don't see why Ukraine doesn't declare that they will never join NATO, doing so would remove Russia's excuse for invading.

Oh you sweet summer child. What makes you think that Russia wouldn't generate one of 1000 other excuses and use that as a pretext?

by Anonymousreply 167January 19, 2022 5:43 PM

R167, because most Russian people don’t want to go and have a war against Ukraine. More likely Putin would want to gain sway through under the table financial influence with oligarchs. Actually invading, and having Ukrainians and Russians going in and killing each other, and NATO joining, and then China possibly joining as Russia’s ally - that would possibly bring on World War III. You have the three strongest military forces in the world- US, Russia and China, fighting where Russia has a distinct geographical advantage sharing a border with Ukraine, and the ultimate outcome is that the U.S. and NATO lose, hundreds of thousands of deaths later. Putin wanted to join and negotiate with NATO at one point. If he still wants to, I’d say let him, on the condition that he is willing to not run for President after 2024 and to reinstate term limits in the Russian constitution. Aside from the benefit to Putin himself, which I don’t care about, this would lift Russia out of its recession with the end of sanctions and increase positive feelings in Russia towards the West. Also, they will stop their retaliatory embargo on US food imports, which will help the US economy.

by Anonymousreply 168January 19, 2022 6:01 PM

Much of eastern Europe is and always will be a basket case. Ukraine included.

by Anonymousreply 169January 19, 2022 6:09 PM

When did Republicans become such pussies? The seem to be taking the side of Ukraine belongs to the motherland.

by Anonymousreply 170January 19, 2022 8:31 PM

Does America still belong to England?

by Anonymousreply 171January 19, 2022 8:37 PM

There are a lot of Russians in Ukraine. It was a point of Stalin’s to put Russians into other parts of the USSR to dig in, keep an eye on things and prevent majorities of other ethnicities from trying to detach from USSR. A large minority of Russians in those “republics” would make a lot of noise and trouble if nationalism were to rise among majority.

So Russians in Russian federation may feel sympathy for Russians in eastern Ukraine and feel justification to “save” the Russian minority in Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 172January 19, 2022 8:46 PM

There are a lot of English people in America but they don’t claim that America is part of England.

Let the past go. Embrace the future.

by Anonymousreply 173January 19, 2022 8:47 PM

Countries break up. It’s part of life.

It’s time to move on from 1960.

by Anonymousreply 174January 19, 2022 8:49 PM

Republicans went from being war mongers to “no boots on the ground”

Are they being paid off?

How many more attacks on American soil are we supposed to tolerate.?

The republicans do nothing to help the thousands of business that have suffered ransomware attacks.

The republicans probably get a cut of the stolen money. That’s how they finance their campaigns with foreign money thought international super PACs.

by Anonymousreply 175January 19, 2022 8:52 PM

As if Putin cares about what Russians think R168, they are not a democracy.

by Anonymousreply 176January 19, 2022 8:52 PM

R12 are you speaking of Afghanistan? 20 years is not enough for you?

How long do you want? 40? 60?

How many other countries were supporting America over there? The last 10 they were alone.

by Anonymousreply 177January 19, 2022 8:55 PM

Where is John Bolton when you need him.

by Anonymousreply 178January 19, 2022 8:55 PM

I don’t get the point of having a huge military if we are not going to defend ourselves and allies. Such a waste.

by Anonymousreply 179January 19, 2022 8:56 PM

"Siri, how much laundered money does the Republican party receive from the Russian mafia?"

by Anonymousreply 180January 19, 2022 9:05 PM

If Ukraine wants republican American politicians on their side they have to emphasize their Christianity. Deluge self-identified American Christians on social media with videos of old head-scarved ladies inside candle-lit churches with hands clasped, praying and crying. They should wear crosses, but not crucifixes.

“We pray to our savior Jesus Christ for peace for Ukraine, whose people have been devout Christians for over a thousand years. We remained Christian during occupation by soviet communists. Our faith never wavered. Help Ukraine remain solidly Christian. We don’t wish that godlessness reinvades this country by communists pretending to be Christian. Please pray with us.”

Some kind of shit like that. Present Ukraine as Christian & Russia as clever atheists disguised as Christians. Some kind of Mark of the Beast shit.

by Anonymousreply 181January 19, 2022 9:10 PM

[quote] I don’t get the point of having a huge military if we are not going to defend ourselves and allies.

That’s not what our military is for. It’s for invading non-nuclear countries & stripping them of their valuable resources.

And lots of military funding goes towards private army mercenaries conducting secret wars in poor countries in central & South America and Africa so we can strip them of resources.

by Anonymousreply 182January 19, 2022 9:13 PM

I smell a whiff of Anti-Americanism in this thread.

America is the greatest country that ever existed. For a millions reasons this is true. To the people who don’t know that, they are living in a North Korean-like outpost where the truth doesn’t get it.

But she is under siege. This scenario will see the death of America by a thousand cuts. There has to come a day when the people say no more!

The day must come when deplorables and liberals must stop fighting each other and work together to fight the real enemy.

We have done it before. And we need to do it now. We shouldn’t be attacking our cousins, but we should collectively turn our eyes overseas where the threat is getting closer and closer, and has now arrived on our own soil.

by Anonymousreply 183January 19, 2022 9:21 PM

Hard-left = Anti-America

Same with the hard right.

by Anonymousreply 184January 19, 2022 9:26 PM

I think that foreign organizations have set up millions of Facebook accounts and have radicalized some fringe radicals to enact their agenda in the US.

Remember all those foreign website were behind the riots? And they were being a lot of other American conflicts. Charlottesville was orchestrated from overseas. I believe Jan 6. was also funded with the help of foreign money. There was at least one wire transfer that was reported.

by Anonymousreply 185January 19, 2022 9:30 PM

The FBI needs to pull down the veil and show everyone how neck deep they are in repeating anti-American propaganda.

They don’t even know they are doing it.

by Anonymousreply 186January 19, 2022 9:30 PM

People overseas are pulling Americans stings and it’s a form of warfare. What does America do in response?

by Anonymousreply 187January 19, 2022 9:31 PM

The FBI is so woke. They will never protect Jews or gays. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 188January 19, 2022 9:32 PM

It seems to me that Republican elected officials are working to destroy America intentionally at the behest of their foreign donors.

But I don’t believe rank and file Republican voters know this. They are being used to being down their own country.

And people on the “left” like Jill Stein, Tulsi Gabbard and others are supposed to do the same to “progressive” liberals.

They got their assignments. Turn the American people against each other while we come up the middle.

Deplorables would be furious if they realized that while they were attacking their own relatives, foreign interests were buying up all their farms, loosening environmental regulations to the point of toxic rural wastelands, and using the NRA to dump millions of guns into the hands of brainwashed people.

The deplorables need to wake up. We need them back. American needs them to see the truth. The real enemy is the foreign players who want America to be reduced to smoldering ashes.

by Anonymousreply 189January 19, 2022 9:35 PM

We need the Christians and the oath keepers and the q anon people to turn their sights.

Christians need to look overseas to the real evil, the oath keepers need to fight the foreigners that really wish to extinguish liberty, and Qanon to the real human traffickers that fund their third world fiefdoms through human suffering as a business model.

by Anonymousreply 190January 19, 2022 9:40 PM

R72 if that’s true, shouldn’t America make some moves to counter that?

Should they just sit back on their keister?

by Anonymousreply 191January 19, 2022 9:43 PM

I meant r62

by Anonymousreply 192January 19, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote]The FBI is so woke. They will never protect Jews or gays. Ever.

*blinks several times*

I do not believe that word means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 193January 19, 2022 10:08 PM

[quote] Germany signals it could halt gas pipeline if Russia invades Ukraine

Yeah the “signal it” but they don’t say it.

by Anonymousreply 194January 19, 2022 11:51 PM

Sweden is sending tanks and troops to Gotland.

by Anonymousreply 195January 20, 2022 9:21 AM

Go Sweden!

by Anonymousreply 196January 20, 2022 10:19 AM

Supposedly Sweden sending troops is not a big deal because they often do that.

by Anonymousreply 197January 21, 2022 2:42 PM

No. And don’t let their refugees here either. Send them to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 198January 21, 2022 2:46 PM

R198 Based.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199January 21, 2022 2:49 PM

US won't protect Ukraine with force, nor will US protect Taiwan. Get real, people. Russia is a super-power.

by Anonymousreply 200January 21, 2022 2:50 PM

R183 r189 Nice try. But the real enemy of the deplorables, the hard-left and everybody in-between is the domestic 1% fleecing all of us.

Explain why a US military response to ransomware attacks by Russia etc makes any sense. You don’t think the US isn’t doing the same cyber warfare right back at Russia et al.?

by Anonymousreply 201January 21, 2022 3:40 PM

R183, America is a melting pot of different people, different cultures. We’re not going to defeat Cyberterrorism by fighting involuntarily conscripted Russian teenagers in Ukraine. Our IT experts can fight that war. Russian people are not just Putin’s little tin soldiers, they’re actually people and a war would actually kill them and Ukrainian people too, and US and NATO people.

by Anonymousreply 202January 21, 2022 5:53 PM

Is Turcker Carlson in here? Man that guy hates America. Why doesn’t he move to Easter Europe already?

Tuck can’t stand the sight of black people which is why he fetishizes the Easter bloc.

by Anonymousreply 203January 21, 2022 6:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 21, 2022 6:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205January 21, 2022 6:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206January 21, 2022 6:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207January 21, 2022 6:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208January 21, 2022 6:33 PM

R8, how about sending Don Jr for that?

by Anonymousreply 209January 21, 2022 6:34 PM

Don’t click on any of those shady YouTube links.

You’ve been warned.

by Anonymousreply 210January 21, 2022 6:53 PM

WTF Germany!

Germany Blocks NATO Ally From Transferring Weapons to Ukraine

Refusal to permit Estonia to transfer artillery that originated in Germany points to strains in Western alliance over Ukraine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 21, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote]US won't protect Ukraine with force, nor will US protect Taiwan. Get real, people. Russia is a super-power.

Oh dear, sounds like R200 is on the Krokodil again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 21, 2022 8:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 22, 2022 3:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 22, 2022 3:53 AM

Not one servicemember on DL wants war. Armchair generals want war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 22, 2022 6:03 AM

R179 proudly served in the Army. Surely. /S

Ukraine isn't an ally, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 216January 22, 2022 6:14 AM

Russia has legitimate beefs about hostile foreign influence in Ukraine politics.

by Anonymousreply 217January 22, 2022 6:16 AM

R217 = Victor Yanucovich (proud Putin puppet)

by Anonymousreply 218January 22, 2022 9:13 AM

The talks have gotten a little calmer in the last day or so and the head of the UN thinks war will be averted.

The political scene today just involves each side reflexively taking the opposite position of the other side. I’m anti-war in most cases, just to save peoples’ lives, not because of Fox News. Pew research shows the political party stance was the opposite in 2015 of what it is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219January 22, 2022 11:19 AM

Not really R219

Russian bombers and naval ships are set to test missiles off the coast of Ireland. The Journal has learned that the Irish Government has received a warning of a major exercise by the Russian navy and air force in the Atlantic off the South West coast.

by Anonymousreply 220January 22, 2022 11:53 AM

It does appear that they have backed down and aren’t going to do much. I hope the whole word comes sound in support of Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 221January 22, 2022 11:55 AM

OP is the QUEEN OF WARMONGERS Hillary Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 222January 22, 2022 12:02 PM

That’s not too sharply divided.

by Anonymousreply 223January 22, 2022 12:06 PM

Why the hell should we care about what's going on in Europe? That's across the fucking Atlantic Ocean and it's not here in America. This is Europe's problem not ours. We have our own bullshit to deal with here in America. We help then with the first two world wars, it's time fir them to stand on their own two feet and fix their own fucking mess.

I'm sick of Europe's bullshit and white on white crime over there. Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 224January 23, 2022 7:04 AM

^^^ Posting from 1940.

by Anonymousreply 225January 23, 2022 7:23 AM

R224 you think they are going to stop after they take Ukraine? This is a test of America. We are next on the list for an attack

I think it’s much better if we neutralize them overseas instead of letting it come here.

They’ve already attacked this country to death. America has been hit by fascists attacks daily for the last 5 years. The damage is done.

When do we say enough is enough? When do we fight back?

by Anonymousreply 226January 23, 2022 5:46 PM

R226, fight back with a show of force, not actual force, if at all humanly possible. The last 100 years show how horrible war is. Each country engages its soldiers with training to make it easier for them to kill, and hate festers afterwards. To make it worse, the soldiers themselves don’t even want to be fighting a war. Russia has mandatory conscription for 18 year olds; they don’t want a war. Killing them because you actually want to get at Putin is pointless. The IT war can be fought by IT experts and maybe someone will be able to figure out how to support fair elections in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 227January 23, 2022 5:57 PM

But they are starting the war. Not the US. Stop blaming the west from defending itself against constant, daily attacks.

It has to stop.

by Anonymousreply 228January 23, 2022 6:23 PM

Russia is the aggressor R227.

by Anonymousreply 229January 23, 2022 6:47 PM

R229, Putin is the aggressor. But given that his country is not behind him in wanting to start a war, war is not inevitable. He has not started an invasion yet and apparently the President of Ukraine hopes he won’t at this point. Ukraine doesn’t want to be invaded but also doesn’t want a war.

by Anonymousreply 230January 23, 2022 6:55 PM

Why is everyone OK with being kicked around by these people?

We have racists in this country that will run over you with their truck, and cry about how much they hate liberals, but these foreign antagonists actually want to take away our liberties, and not a peep from them about the foreign fascist that are ripping this country apart through social media and these fake groups and have infiltrated the NRA and and are funding America’s demise.

by Anonymousreply 231January 23, 2022 7:00 PM

R231, more attention to the manipulation on social media would be great and yes, that’s cyber-terrorism and it has to be stopped. But the idea that fighting a war is somehow a good thing because it could unite the country is flawed. For one thing, wars lead to widespread death and destruction disproportionately amongst poorer people and there’s disruption to world peace for years afterward because when you go to war, you’re killing someone’s children. We need a plan to unite the country that doesn’t involve war. If it becomes inevitable that’s not the same thing but all this talk about it uniting the country is wrong. Biden’s improvements to government infrastructure should unite the country. Not war.

by Anonymousreply 232January 23, 2022 7:13 PM

And that’s why I don’t believe we should start a war.

But we didn’t start this. America didn’t start this and I’m sick and tired of the lie that that we deserve these attacks and we should sit by and take it. There won’t be a county left.

by Anonymousreply 233January 23, 2022 7:18 PM

I'd love Ukrainian refugees. We should bid for Ukrainian refugees.

It's a shit situation.

by Anonymousreply 234January 24, 2022 11:37 AM

I agree with R234.

by Anonymousreply 235January 24, 2022 12:19 PM

1984 isn’t just a novel, it’s a playbook. Oceania vs Eastasia?

by Anonymousreply 236January 24, 2022 12:26 PM

If Putin gets away with this and successfully occupies more Ukrainian territory, what message will this send to Xi regarding China threatening to annex Taiwan?

I made the argument that Obama letting Putin get away with annexing Crimea and Donbas and exacerbating the Syrian Civil war by supporting Assad, was a huge foreign policy blunder.

by Anonymousreply 237January 24, 2022 12:27 PM

The US isn't being attacked, r238.

But Russia will successfully occupy more Ukrainian territory r237 and the US and Nato will not be going into Ukraine with troops to get Russia out. I agree that Obama is to blame for a lot of what's happened in Syria though. Bombing Syrian military targets (which Obama should have done) is not comparable to the US bombing Russian military targets.

by Anonymousreply 238January 24, 2022 12:32 PM

Datalounge is very pro-Obama.

by Anonymousreply 239January 24, 2022 12:57 PM

I'd take some young ukrainian men. Do they like arroz con pollo?

by Anonymousreply 240January 24, 2022 1:14 PM

Pentagon is going live right now. All channels.

by Anonymousreply 241January 24, 2022 6:33 PM

Just no Ukrainian refugees, please.

by Anonymousreply 242January 27, 2022 1:54 PM

R203 Hey stupido, you know why there aren't Blacks in Eastern Europe. Cause Eastern European countries didn't keep slaves and didn't colonize and exploit African countries. You would know that if you used your head for something else besides just to give it.

by Anonymousreply 243January 27, 2022 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!