Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix Is Raising Its Prices (Again), Will Now Be the Most Expensive Streamer

It will soon cost a bit more to stream shows like "The Witcher" and "Emily in Paris."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2022 2:33 AM

I like both, to be honest. Netflix also has some great foreign shows like Elite.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2022 12:00 AM

Thank God for torrenting. And shared accounts.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2022 12:02 AM

Soon we will be even MORE expensive! And there's nothing you can do about it! NOTHING! BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!@!

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2022 12:02 AM

I’ve just started going on and off these services by month. For Netflix I only care when Borgen comes out.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2022 12:02 AM

The twelve people who watch Emily in Paris will be pissed!

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2022 12:03 AM

The stock sharply rose $3 a share after they announced it. There’s nothing Wall Street loves more than a company fucking over the common man.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2022 12:03 AM

HBO Max brings the most value to me out of all the streaming services. Although Hulu is surprisingly stocked with great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2022 12:03 AM

Time to cancel my subscription. Netflix has become my least-watched streaming service (even behind Criterion Channel).

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2022 12:07 AM

The Duchess and her manservant must be ecstatic to learn about this.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2022 12:08 AM

Honestly, Tubi (free!) has the longest-ass list of documentaries I've ever seen on any streaming platform. I was actually getting fatigued and annoyed trying to scroll through the entire list. Highly recommend Tubi, although the commercials obviously suck (and have recently become more plentiful). Over my dead body would I pay $15.50/mo for Netflix. I'm already on someone else's account and rarely see anything new on there of interest. I've stopped even checking!

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 12:11 AM

I just dropped Netflix two weeks ago and signed up for Criterion. Glad I switched. A lot of the new Netflix stuff seems to be geared toward young airheads falling in love.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2022 12:13 AM

123movies, bro

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2022 12:15 AM

I'm going to cancel. I hardly ever watch it anyway. Maybe I'll sign up again to see the end of Grace & Frankie and then re cancel. Although so far the first 4 episodes of G&F really sucked. I don't think they're going out on top.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2022 12:16 AM

Perhaps if this company didn't blow money like it's infinite ($80 million to Dave Chapelle for three specials? Seriously? He wouldn't have done them for $30 million?) then they wouldn't have to incessantly raise their prices like this.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 12:21 AM

It might be worth it if they didn't keep cancelling all their good shows.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 12:24 AM

[quote]Thank God for torrenting. And shared accounts.

I agree. For the rest of you, most of this streaming stuff can be found online for free. Even pay-for cable series and films can be found online.

Music? That goes without saying.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 12:26 AM

Piratebay is the cheapest of them all. In fact it is free.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 12:26 AM

I'm partial to rarbg.to myself.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] Piratebay is the cheapest of them all. In fact it is free.

Just make sure you have a virus checker running.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 12:37 AM

Primewire has everything. Just make sure you have ublock origin to stop the popups.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 12:49 AM

My streaming bills are more than my high priced directv bill ever was.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 12:52 AM

There is not quality control on Netflix and maybe that is the point as it's something for everyone. I have watched a lot of their films this year though. I like sex education. I watched Emily in Paris and I will watch The Crown. And selling sunset. Ok I watch a lot of their stuff. Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 1:01 AM

[QUOTE] My streaming bills are more than my high priced directv bill ever was.

Then you’re subscribed to too many, R21. There’s no need for more than three streaming services at any one time. Binge whatever you want on there and then cancel and add a different one. Rinse and repeat. Nobody told you to subscribe to every service available, and if you’re too lazy to cancel then that’s your own fault.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 1:10 AM

I agree that Tubi has a very respectable lineup, especially of things like anime and older movies.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2022 1:18 AM

$15.50 is such a strange price. Where will it end?

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2022 4:20 AM

I got rid of Netflix about 3-4 years ago because their content is full of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 4:35 AM

They want you to pay for Dave Chapelle’s $80 million paydayfor his shitty specials and they want you to pay for the cast of Don’t Look Up.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 4:37 AM

t0rr3nt and VPN, people. Be smart.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 4:38 AM

[quote]I got rid of Netflix about 3-4 years ago because their content is full of garbage.

Every few months, they have something I want to watch but the rest of the time I have no interest in what they offer.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2022 4:42 AM

I'll sign up for Grace and Frankie and again for the Crown. But trying to keep off the service otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 4:48 AM

[quote] Honestly, Tubi (free!) has the longest-ass list of documentaries I've ever seen on any streaming platform

It also has me, judging you all silently while I pretend to be a font of wisdom and warmth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2022 4:50 AM

Netflix streaming is cool, but the dvd/Blu ray plan SUCKS! It takes like 3 months to get a newer film & their blu ray stock (which costs more) is very puny!

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2022 5:41 AM

R28 I want to know what this means and how to do it, I am really at the bottom of the barrel & I can’t afford anything except HBO, and then only until March when the sale ends. I tried installing a VPN app once but it didn’t seem to work. And every time I try torrent sites they mess up my ipad. Tx.

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2022 6:00 AM

Netflix should suffer significant subscription losses.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2022 6:56 AM

Inflation is making everything more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2022 7:31 AM

I get a subsidised Netflix price (couple of dollars cheaper pm) and if I was to unsubscribe and resubscribe at a later date, id lose that. its the only thing keeping me on Netflix even though its shit now.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2022 8:41 AM

Netflix still doesn't produce a lot that I love. I did get sucked into the Great British Baking Show and Call My Agent, but there's so much on there that I don't like very much. To me, the best thing about Netflix is that it's so easy to pick up and drop the subscription so you only need to carry it when there's something you want to see. If they made an annual membership mandatory or made cancelling difficult like the New York Times does, I wouldn't ever bother to subscribe.

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2022 8:56 AM

Like R4, I move around the services, picking them up every few months and dropping them again when I've seen what I wanted. I've just come back to Netflix after nearly 12 months and am genuinely surprised at how little it's changed. Some of the little, cheaper ones change more.

For anyone missing the theatre during Covid, National Theatre at Home and Digitaltheatre.com both have streaming services, as of course does BroadwayHD.com. Of these, NT is the most up to date. (There are plays on there where the audience is wearing masks.) They're relatively expensive in relation to other streamers, but very cheap in relation to plays.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2022 11:21 AM

[quote]t0rr3nt and VPN, people. Be smart.

Or be ethical. Some of us believe in paying people for their work.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2022 1:16 PM

I have been watching Ghosts on Pluto - and was browsing their live stations. One of them is a Parmount Plus selected shows and was watching the original Hawaii 5-0 that seemed like it had been restored. Really sharp colors for the 1968 season and for that channel there was no commercial breaks.

Between Tubi, Pluto, Crackle, Roku etc. - you can find some good stuff. There might be a searching inconvenience and commercials can be a pain (depending on what you are watching they can be minimal or just as bad as network TV.

I probably do watch Netflix the least and have thought about dropping it, especially if I pick up HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2022 1:30 PM

There are so many free legit apps and services, they take up so much of my time, I don't even have to pay for streaming. I support PBS so I get their streaming passport service at $5 monthly. And I'm a semi trekkie so I'll pay for paramount for a month to binge watch the new series. Picard season 2 is coming out soon. I'll wait until half the episodes are out, sign up for a month and catch up so I'll watch the remaining episodes as they go live.

Aside from all the free roku options, I can access hoopla and kanopy from my library. I can't see myself having time carrying commercial streaming services indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2022 1:53 PM

I only paid for Disney + to watch the Beatles thing, but I loved that so much I was thinking of maintaining my subscription so I could keep going back to it. But luckily they’re putting a DVD of it out soon - of course, I’ll need to buy a DVD player for that, ha.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2022 2:09 PM

Before the pandemic, I would go to the theater almost every weekend to watch the newest movies. Last November, I invited a friend to see The Eternals at a local AMC, the first outing (thanks to having gotten the booster in October) to a theater in more than a year. The place was virtually empty that evening. Two movie tickets, two smallish popcorns, and two soft drinks cost me almost $70. The worst part was that the movie was so dark, all I could think about was that I'd have been better off waiting to watch it at home on my 65-inch UHD TV. I decided I'd never go to the movie theater again. Now the movie is on Disney+ and I can watch it as often as I want.

The point is that Netflix prices may have gone up significantly since the service started, but it's still cheaper than a single outing to a cineplex.

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2022 4:08 PM

I still love the movies and that experience so I go. Netflix works for me though. Always something new to watch every month for me so I stick to it

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2022 4:38 PM

I got Netflix for the first time only recently. The amount of content is overwhelming. It would take me years to go through everything that looks interesting. People who are saying that there is only one or two things on Netflix that they want to watch must be incredibly selective.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2022 6:56 PM

I don't think going to the movies is worth the cost anymore for the most part. The sound usually hurts my ears, and I am very hard of hearing in one ear and worry about additional hearing loss from the sound.

But I am glad I saw West Side Story in a theatre. It was thrilling.

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2022 6:59 PM

[quote]The place was virtually empty that evening. Two movie tickets, two smallish popcorns, and two soft drinks cost me almost $70.

Are you kidding me? Can you break down the prices for us, because I can’t believe that.

No wonder it was virtually empty. People can’t afford that.

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote]People who are saying that there is only one or two things on Netflix that they want to watch must be incredibly selective.

Most of their stuff is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 8:06 PM

R48 Yes. There’s a difference between quality and quantity.

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2022 8:09 PM

R47 I’m not R43 but it’s similar story for me here In New Zealand. Went with a friend to see Matrix 4. 2x tickets, 2x medium popcorn, 1x glass of wine and 1x bottle of water. All up it cost us $90 ($60 USD)

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2022 4:18 AM

[quote]All up it cost us $90 ($60 USD)

A blowjob would have to be included for me to justify that kind of price to go see a movie.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2022 4:23 AM

Thanks for letting me know. I just cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2022 5:27 AM

Well, “The Witcher” is worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2022 5:35 AM

it's a strange move because everyone wants to cancel netflix. Maybe this is why? Just raise the cost on the people who want it still.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2022 6:06 AM

I’ve been a Netflix subscriber since 2004 (back when you’d get DVDs through the mail). It’s amazing how they expect customers to subsidize the shitty deals they cut with undeserving talent.

I’ve thought long and hard about the truly great things I can only find on Netflix, and the list is embarrassingly short:

House of Cards, Season 1

The Crown, Seasons 1-4

Bojack Horseman

Set it Up

Dead to Me

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul / El Camino (only because I missed BB when it originally aired, as well as seasons 1-4 of BCS)

Marriage Story

Sack Lunch Bunch

Oh, Hello!

Hulu has consistently better shows, and HBO Max / Amazon Prime have the best movie catalogs. Canceling Netflix is no longer an empty threat for most people now that they’ve increasingly become a joke.

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2022 7:11 AM

yeah, i think its time to cancel my subscription. I don't watch it enough to justify 186.00 a year for netflix. when i first subscribed i think i was paying 6.00

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2022 7:40 AM

Also excellent shows on Netflix:

The Queen's Gambit

Babylon Berlin (subtitles, not the dubbed)

Unbelievable

Mindhunter

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2022 11:11 AM

Torrenting is free.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2022 11:14 AM

r33, you may benefit from a seedbox. Download files to the seedbox which is not connected to your ISP in any way. Then, download from the seedbox to your PC.

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2022 11:24 AM

[quote] I don't even have to pay for streaming.

[quote]I support PBS so I get their streaming passport service at $5 monthly.

“I don’t pay for streaming. Except….”

🤔

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2022 12:53 PM

Welcome to the real world r60

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2022 3:07 PM

HBO Max has really stepped up their game in the last 18 months or so and have become truly competitive with Netflix. If I had to make a choice I would pick them hands down. Apple TV I was hot for awhile and now I'm indifferent. Hulu is much better and is Peacock.

Once The Crown and G&F is over I will probably cancel. There is too much content.

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2022 3:24 PM

[quote] was hot for awhile

Oh, dear,

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2022 3:28 PM

If you have Tmobile's one plan, you can get Netflix for free. SD edition and upgrade tot he top tier for 5 dollars a month more.

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2022 3:29 PM

HBO Max has a lot of great content.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2022 3:29 PM

It’s that greedy piece of shit CEO. He has been raising it just about every year. Especially since they started doing those big budget movies. That are lousy. They are playing top dollar to A- actors.

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2022 3:39 PM

Awwwww, I feel so sorry for Netflix. The cost of streaming has so skyrocketed. Greedy motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2022 3:57 PM

Why would anyone pay for anything that you can get on the internet for free?

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2022 6:27 PM

R68 do you honestly think no one else in this thread has said that same thing already? You're as bad as the "people still watch SNL??" posters who show up in every Saturday Night Live thread. Incidentally before Gawker went down the shitter they used to ban commenters juat for saying that in their posts because it was cliche even then.

Regardless, someone has to pay for it or there would be no content for you to steal, not everyone wants to deal with sketchy internet sites and lag. It's the same reason iTunes was popular even though people could find a lot of the music elsewhere for free - convenience, higher quality etc. And this has been explained many times to all of you "why don't you just pirate this, you losers?" people but you either don't grasp it or don't care.

by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2022 4:14 AM

I've got Paramount Plus, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. There are some free ad-supported services like Tubi and IMDb TV you can watch shows on as well. Had Netflix but dropped it last time they raised prices because I wasn't watching it much at the time.

The infuriating thing is that the content owners resell rights to their content every few years, so shows move around over time, even to the point of seasons being split so that one network/streaming service might have season one, another might have season two, and in some cases even certain seasons are split amongst different services. It's all annoying as hell.

by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2022 4:19 AM

I'll pay $15.50 a year for it just to save me the trouble of torrenting. $15.50/mo is laughable when barely anything good ever gets added! I forget to even check my Netflix app when I'm looking for things to watch (I'm on a shared account). And if you want 4K, which I do, that's $20/mo and much of the stuff still isn't in 4K.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2022 4:23 AM

$240/year to rent movies and you have nothing to show for it in the end. I can buy a lot of blu rays for $240!

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2022 4:26 AM

Quitting Netflix for the stated reason of there is a lack of quality programming is an excellent way to be pretentious, and to hide the actual fact that you are cheap or poor.

by Anonymousreply 73January 17, 2022 7:37 AM

I’ve said this before in other threads but if you have a good local library like I do, you can check out a lot of new releases on DVD for free.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2022 7:39 AM

R69 PirateBay is neither a sketchy internet site nor is there any lag.

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2022 12:03 PM

With so many good streaming channels available now, who needs Netflix? I pay for Hulu and then get the rest free. I watched the original Martyrs on Pluto not too long ago. Yeah, it had some commercials but so does the other crap I watch on regular Tv

by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2022 12:45 PM

We signed on for Netflix a couple months ago because we wanted to watch Star Trek The Next Generation again but really don't want to own the DVDs, we're already dealing with clutter. We go through the episodes so slowly though that it'll be 6-8 months before we're done, and do I want to pay $125 just to watch one show and maybe a few other shows here and there? It's just not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2022 1:49 PM

R75 oh, yes it is, and it's taken down frequently too so you have to hunt for it. There's so many mirrors of it on different domains you don't know if you're looking at a legit copy or if it's an agency version. Do you think they scan or validate everything posted there like a business might, regardless?

There's actually better alternatives to it, but they all have some sketchy factor, you still can't always find what you want or get high quality or all episodes, etc.

I realize to some people it may seem amazing but it's easier to just pay for things.

And keep in mind you're still stealing, regardless of whatever you tell yourself about "big faceless corporations". If you can afford it, you should pay.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2022 2:02 PM

Netflix has always sucked. I canceled last month. I watch Pluto TV more than I was watching Netflix

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2022 2:06 PM

Netflix was the only option for a long time, and had practically everything for years. They basically created the market for streaming services. Say what you wish about them but it's silly to pretend they've "always sucked" unless your experience with them is fairly limited / you're too young to have the full picture.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote]If you can afford it, you should pay.

And if you can't afford it, you could try, y'know, doing without.

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2022 2:09 PM

R81 no, I want everything all the time now!!

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2022 2:11 PM

You sound like a bunch of paupers!

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2022 2:31 PM

Whenever I've tried to watch 'Emily in Paris', I start wanting to pull her head off like she's a broken Barbie doll. What an annoying show!

So, the price increase just adds insult to injury.

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2022 2:45 PM

r69 you might want to try the medicated douche instead of the regular douche.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2022 2:47 PM

r35 fixed it.

I̶n̶f̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶ Price gouging is making everything more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2022 2:58 PM

Since you don't need to go to the movie theatres and pay $15 per movie, you can stay home and be safe and watch the same at $15 per month.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2022 3:01 PM

R78 Been using it for about 15 years now never had any of problems that you have mention. Also, it hasn't been down in a long time now

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2022 3:02 PM

I cancelled my cable about 3 years ago, and don’t miss it. I subscribe to HBO Max on a permanent basis and share a Hulu subscription with family. I’ve switched Apple TV, Disney+, and Showtime on for a month and then off to watch something particular. I’m going to move Netflix from the permanent list to the temporary one because I’m just not getting value for it anymore. When Borgen or The Crown comes back I’ll pay up for another month. For me that means I’m paying far less than I used to for a cable subscription, in part because I don’t mind no access to sports or cable news. I get the basic channels with my digital antenna.

My bigger decision is whether to cancel Amazon Prime in the coming year. I don’t like supporting that company and don’t feel I’m getting much value for it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2022 3:08 PM

Primewire is the best imho.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2022 3:09 PM

The Datalounge misanthropes claiming that Netflix has no good shows and then hyping up the D-list movies and shows on Tubi and Pluto. How ironic.

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2022 3:10 PM

R77, STNG, is on every night Sunday - Friday at 9pm on the heroes and icon channel. It's a free antenna channel for me in Maryland. My mom gets it as part of her spectrum cable package in LA.

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2022 3:53 PM

Sure, can I borrow yours, r85?

by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2022 9:50 PM

Don't come for Tubi! I'll cut a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 94January 18, 2022 4:48 AM

AMC Theaters now has a subscription service where you pay $21-24 per month for up to 12 movies, ANY showtime, any movie including 3D and IMAX with no additional charges. And you can reserve your seats several days in advance. You can also see how crowded the theater will be before leaving home. There are some tiny theaters where even 5 other people puts you in close contact....But there are tons of empty theaters in off hours where you can be 20 feet or more away from the closest person.

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2022 8:17 AM

Are you Larry David, R84?

by Anonymousreply 96January 20, 2022 12:06 PM

Netflix Narrowly Misses Subscriber Target In Q4; Stock Tumbles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 20, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote]AMC Theaters now has a subscription service where you pay $21-24 per month for up to 12 movies, ANY showtime, any movie including 3D and IMAX with no additional charges.

Just you wait until the pandemic ends and/or people start going to theaters again. AMC did this before - it started as described and then they started cutting out evening showtimes and then cutting out the biggest hit films, to the point the subscription was unusable.

by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2022 9:55 PM

R98 People aren’t interested in going to theaters anymore with those ridiculous prices. You can get a 65” 4K UHD TV for $500-$600 and watch movies at home instead of dealing with ridiculous ticket prices, snack prices, annoying people in the theater with their phones, or dealing with assigned seating.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2022 1:03 AM

R99 has a point. Except for the most hard-line extraverts, a lot of people have got over other people during the pandemic. Between being locked away from them for so long, and alternatively suffering their inconsiderate behaviour regarding masks, social distancing and so on when we're out, many of us have got to the point where we'd like to be anywhere but where the general public is.

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2022 2:23 AM

So many people are inconsiderate assholes now, and a fair amount are also batshit crazy. R100 is right. It's best to limit contact with the general public, because you don't want to deal with all of their shit.

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2022 2:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!