Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One America News is "almost dead" to me

DirecTV to Drop Right-Wing News Network OANN

90 percent of OAN revenue in 2020 came from DirecTV (AT&T) contract

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2022 10:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 11:48 PM

Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2022 12:05 AM

AT&T pretty originally bankrolled OAN, and they got outed for it recently. This is damage control.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2022 12:09 AM

Imagined Fox News' outrage at being out-Foxed.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2022 12:11 AM

OANN is one terrifying fount of propaganda. It’s got a super creepy villainous vibe to it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2022 12:14 AM

When is Devin Nunes going to have the Trump channel ready?

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2022 12:16 AM

[quote] AT&T pretty originally bankrolled OAN, and they got outed for it recently. This is damage control.

AT&T no longer owns DirecTV, They spun it off in an effort to reduce debt but you are correct that they bankrolled OAN in the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2022 12:31 AM

AT&T retains a 70% share, that's ownership to me.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2022 12:33 AM

One of their accountants once said that without the deal with DirecTV OANN's value would be "zero". We'll see if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2022 2:16 AM

About MF time. It is beyond shocking that they would bankroll fascist propaganda. It is no different than Pravda.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 2:20 AM

skanky network

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2022 2:20 AM

I never knew it was alive. Thank you for the information, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2022 2:25 AM

OAN is still on AT&T U-verse.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2022 4:02 AM

Don’t get too excited. Cable/satellite companies routinely announce they’re dropping Fox News when they’re really renegotiating their contract & feel Fox is asking too much from the cable/satellite company. After negotiation, they pick Fox up again.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 4:07 AM

Their viewers stream it online and on Roku. Doesn’t matter. Most Americans don’t have cable or DirectTV.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 4:09 AM

[quote] OAN is still on AT&T U-verse.

and it is still on DirecTV until April when their contract expires, since AT&T U-verse is now controlled by DirecTV I would imagine it will go away from there in April also.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 1:53 PM

R14 I don’t think this is the case here. I think this network is a money loser, hence why they’re not being renewed.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 1:55 PM

[quote] Their viewers stream it online and on Roku. Doesn’t matter. Most Americans don’t have cable or DirectTV.

This isn't so much about the number of viewers which is quite small, it is about the carriage fees that DirecTV is paying to OAN, which an OAN executive testified under oath is about 90% of their revenues. DirecTV is losing money and viewers cancelling the amount that DirecTV pays to OAN will save them money of a channel whose viewership is very low.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 1:58 PM

[quote] I think this network is a money loser, hence why they’re not being renewed.

My impression is that AT&T was basically keeping them afloat. Now it appears they’ve changed their minds.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 3:53 PM

Between this and the Dominion lawsuit, they’re fucked.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 3:54 PM

And if we could only get direct TV and all cable systems to drop Fox, the world would be a better place.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 5:03 PM

Old people still have cable and keep the tv on dusk till dawn

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 5:33 PM

This is a great start. Every time I go visit my parents they have this channel on most of the time. It's really preposterous that anyone would think this is news. It's all opinions, no factual evidence supporting what they report unless it's the weather and even then. I pointed it out to my folks and did fact checking on Google irt and, my parents STILL believed what they were talking about. It's pure propaganda started by a Russian operative.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 5:43 PM

R22 I wonder what happens when those old people croak? Who is still watching far right cable news besides baby boomers?

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote] It's all opinions, no factual evidence supporting what they report unless it's the weather and even then.

All cable news is nothing but opinion. Hate these networks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2022 6:23 PM

I never got to view it.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 6:25 PM

Out of curiosity, since I'm not a legal expert: does DirectTV have any liability in the Dominion lawsuit since they carried OANN?

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 6:52 PM

I hope every company and individual associated with this odious and seditious network is held financially responsible by Dominion Voting systems for their lies. AND THEN, I hope that the personal, civil suits take every penny and every personal asset that those individuals have, as well.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 7:12 PM

No, R27, DirectTV has no liability for what's on their network. Without doing a bunch of research, I believe it is what the fabled "Section 230" of the Communications Decency Act (ha!) refers to when companies like facebook and twitter are not held accountable for the content they carry (and in the beforetimes was the same principle as the Fairness Doctrine, in that station operators were not accountable for the content so long as they presented a level platform for all to participate). It's a quaint concept and one that should either be upheld provided the networks actually do provide a level playing field or rescinded if they show bias toward one side or the other. For example, facebook should be exempt from Section 230 protections because they favor conservative sites and opinion (by their own admission, they're much more afraid of conservatives than they are of liberals and therefor delete liberal and Democratic pages all the time but leave conservative and Republican pages up to continue misleading the public and wrecking the nation).

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2022 8:43 PM

I was reading some of the comments on this article on Business Insider, trolls there also because some are complaining they already miss OAN, but it isn't leaving DirecTV until April. Trolls or are they just that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 9:52 PM

Orange Asshole Nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2022 7:06 PM

Only Appealing (to) Nazis

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2022 11:00 PM

Rand Paul cancels DirecTV subscription after it drops OAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2022 2:22 AM

[quote]Why give money to people who hate us?

I think that every time I pay my red state taxes.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2022 3:15 AM

I don't recall liberals or moderates screaming about "censorship" when Air America went under.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 4:18 PM

Now they're calling for people to "dig up dirt" on the chairman of AT&T.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 9:37 PM

Rand Paul is a piece of shit. Even his own family hates him.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 9:42 PM

How can they think getting dirt on the board chair is the best way to get the provider to keep them?

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 9:42 PM

R38: Fucking right wing idiots. ATT spun off DirecTV into a separate company. Whenever ATT needs some more cash, it'll sell another 10% to TPG Capital or whatever the owner is called. But operations of the thing are not in ATT's hands. They're attacking someone with no power over the outcome.

And you can you just imagine if anyone to the left of Attlia the Hun said to dig up dirt about the CEO of Cox Cable or whatever if they dropped MSNBC? "LIBERAL CANCEL CULTURE COMMUNIST BLM ANTIFA TERRORIST STALINISTS!!!!!111!!!!1!! Fucking hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 9:45 PM

You mean, doxxing and threatening people (and their families) when they don't do as told or what you want isn't "The American Way" or classy, Christian values, R38? I was starting to think they were a part of Genesis or Leviticus, that the fraus on my social media hadn't managed to post memes about yet.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 10:55 PM

Apparently Newsmax is getting dropped from several cable operators as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2022 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!