Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are dates the most underrated natural food ?

Especially Majdool dates.

They are very tasty. They are a healthier choice to those who are scared of refined sugar. They can be used in cake batters, smoothies or eaten as is, as a post meal dessert.

My simple dessert recipe with dates.

Cut a date open and create a small cave inside. Stuff it with Maranatha unsweetened Almond butter and sprinkle some roasted and finely chopped pecans and almonds on the top. It's the most delicious thing ever and very healthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2022 11:39 PM

I’d say so.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]Cut a date open and create a small cave inside. Stuff it with Maranatha unsweetened Almond butter and sprinkle some roasted and finely chopped pecans and almonds on the top.

Divine!

[quote]Thank you

who are you thanking and why?

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 6:32 PM

So sweet and kind of bland.

Hadley's date shake if I'm going to the desert - that's how to consume dates.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 6:32 PM

Dates and figs are way too sweet for me. I prefer tart/sour flavors over sweet notes.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 6:57 PM

I like them stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon, so not exactly healthy.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 7:33 PM

I haven't had a date in years but then I am 70 years old.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 8:14 PM

I don’t eat my dates unless we go out a second time.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 8:20 PM

OP loves Medjool dates but can't spell the word. There are several accepted spellings in a few languages, and Madjool is not one of them.

I got 3 boxes in the mail from on Monday. From an old friend, a Berber, who owns a palmeraie in the Drâa Valley. They aren't THAT sweet, guys. My friend is sweet. Well, he's getting old, but he's still handsome. Let me tell you about Berber cock someday. Not to mention Kabyle, but Kabyle, well, that's another land.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 8:31 PM

Really, I think it’s all about the fig.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 9:05 PM

Figs and dates are very different. Figs grow pretty far north you know.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 9:09 PM

Healthy, unless you have type 2 diabetes or are no longer insulin sensitive. A single medjool date has nearly 16g of sugars. A teaspoon of granulated sugar has only 4g of sugars. The amount of fiber per date (1.6g) is not sufficient to effectively slow the rise of blood glucose.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 10:14 PM

Are journalists paid to write thousand words gobbets of drivel?

Let me tell you about Gefilte Fish and Goose Fat!

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 10:42 PM

Too many calories, especially if you are adding almond butter.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 10:45 PM

All the dates I ate gave me heartburn. J. Dahmer

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 12:54 AM

Disgusting texture combo of unpleasant skin exterior, sticky gummy interior. I hate dates.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 1:13 AM

overrated. they hurt palestinians.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 1:14 AM

Would someone please stuff a coconut down the OP's throat.

Now the shits have moved from calling award-winning celebrities "underrated" to applying the idiotic term and definition to fruits enjoyed for thousands of years by many millions.

Fuck you, OP. and OH, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 1:19 AM

Medjool dates are used instead of sugar in this excellent recipe by the (gorgeous) John Whaite. I've made them a few times and they are amazing. My family and friends love them. He also uses rye flour so it's a lot lower in gluten content.

"John Whaite's Sugar-Free Chocolate Brownies"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 1:22 AM

Dates and Figs are used pretty extensively in Christmas food in the UK, they are fairly cheap here at about £1.80 ($3) per pound, sometimes half that dependent on season.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 1:41 AM

Dates are underrated by Americans but not by Arabs. I love dates but I prefer figs.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2022 1:49 AM

I'd rather have fresh figs than dried, usually with Parma ham and fresh Mozzarella. They cost about 30p (40c) each in the UK in summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2022 2:04 AM

I’m withholding my judgement till I hear from Greg. This is a topic suited to his culinary expertise. I wonder if dates can sub for prunes in a cod dish…

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2022 2:11 AM

Dates go better with my honey glazed unagi fritters. It's Asian fusion and all my clients rave about it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2022 3:19 AM

[quote] "Dates and figs are way too sweet for me. I prefer tart/sour flavors over sweet notes."

Same, R4.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2022 4:17 AM

I always thought they were disgusting until the Kurdish grocer gave me one to try, and now I love them. But they have to be the big, soft, kind of fresh ones. They have a really nice, deep flavor. If they're too sweet for you, stuffing them with cream cheese or soft goat's cheese is great.

Another yummy, less unhealthy snack: a piece of very dark chocolate spread with cashew or almond butter.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2022 4:37 AM

The brownies may be free of cane sugar R18, but at 16g of sugars each, dates are just as bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 1:48 PM

r21 Is "Parma ham" the British term for Prosciutto? For some reason Brits love to give stupid, unappetizing names to food.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 1:56 PM

R27 Parma Ham is exclusively made in Parma. Prosciutto can be produced anywhere, it's usually used for products that don't have a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin).

The correct term is of course ' Prosciutto di Parma' but if 'di Parma' isn't on the label it isn't genuine.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2022 2:21 PM

They're nasty looking. They remind me of cockroach eggs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 1:29 AM

I grew up eating these guys: dates with a dusting of coconut and an almond on top.

Agree that dates and figs are sweet without much complexity.

The prosciutto, bacon, feta cheese combos sound like the best way to eat dates and figs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 1:41 AM

They’re good but they have way too many fucking calories.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2022 6:54 PM

Natural and unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2022 6:58 PM

Never tried but as a kid my mom received a box and they unfortunately looked like packaged tree roaches aka palmetto bugs to the exact color. Grossed me out.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2022 7:05 PM

I love them...and figs, too...dried or fresh. I need to buy some. I cut them up and put them in oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2022 7:08 PM

Date and fig farts are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2022 8:01 PM

[quote] I like them stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon, so not exactly healthy.

Similar, cut in half, stuff with peanut butter and then roll in table sugar. Healthy, probably not, tasty, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2022 8:03 PM

They are quite sugary, but maybe the fiber helps mitigate the glycemic load? I think pairing them with a fatty and/or fiberful thing also helps.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2022 8:52 PM

I heard an annoying and exciting old cow berating an unfortunate Fairway employee today. She was bitching that the Medjool dates were mixed with some other kind of dates and “it’s just not right. It’s very very wrong and something needs to be done about it”

It made me recall the poisoned dates in “Raiders of the Lost Ark”.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2022 8:55 PM

Dried dates and figs are both tasty.

Frankly, prunes get a bad rap, but are also rather tasty.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2022 8:58 PM

No R35. Prune farts are -by far - the worst.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2022 9:20 PM

Dates are good in banana bread, too.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2022 9:29 PM

R35 No, that would be egg farts.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2022 8:23 AM

1) Stuff your dates with cheese as stated, maybe mascarpone, & top with a pecan.

2) Put dates in food processor. Add quality unsweetened cocoa powder. Process until mixed (won't take long) then roll a heaping teaspoon into a ball. (You could then roll in coconut, or ground nuts too.) Voilà! Such a brilliant snack: only 2 ingredients, wonderful dark chocolate, can be a great gift - put in those little pleated candy paper cups (like miniature muffin cups) and package with flair, channeling your inner Fanny Cradock. "Remember, you're among professionals now."

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2022 10:07 AM

Coconut is probably the most underrated natural food.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2022 8:16 PM

Love Dates, but started to put on too much weight so switched to Prunes which have less sugar and more fibre and don't linger long in your digestive system.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2022 8:23 PM

I like coconut flavor...but don't like the meat, too chewy and hard to swallow.

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2022 8:37 PM

I just bought some dates, because of this thread. I also bought ricotta cheese. I'll try cutting the date in half, and fill with the cheese. Sounds good...

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2022 8:39 PM

Coconut also comes in butter and oil. It doesn't have to be the coconut meat.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2022 9:30 PM

I've hated coconut every since I was a kid, we were almost force fed Bounty coconut filledchocolate bars (they were about four times the size they are now).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2022 11:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!