Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Losing hope.

I am not a concern troll. Quite the opposite. I always try to find a glimmer of hope in even the direst circumstances. That said, I am losing hope for our country. The Republicans have won. Dems will lose the Senate and the House. Impeachment will begin immediately and it will work. McConnell will immediately eliminate the filibuster. States will choose which electors are acceptable, Trump will return to the White House and never leave until he dies. Without voting rights, we are done. Manchin and Sinema will go down in history as the ones who chose to put the final nail into the coffin for democracy. To believe otherwise would be denial. My only hope is some kind of "Deus ex Machina" to save us in the final act.

by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2022 5:56 AM

Eldergay, to some degree I feel the way you do.

But all we can do is the live the best life we can no matter what happens.

I have long given up on the hope that life is fair.

The world is corrupt and there is evil that most people do not even want to speak of-

Hopefully, Trump will pass on or some justice will prevail.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 5:47 PM

I donate to Democrats. I attend protests and I’ve cut all Republicans out of my life. But I’m at the point where if my loved ones, my pets and I are housed and fed, I don’t give a fuck what happens in DC. Just do what you can.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 5:53 PM

Lord help us OP.

It’s not just about rethugs and democrats though.

It’s decency vs barbarism

Intelligence vs Dogma

Good vs evil.

Good wins out eventually, or it used to before the internet and the era of high tech.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 5:57 PM

Yes hope looks very bleak. We’re in for some fascism. No one seems to have woken up in time.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 5:59 PM

Good doesn’t always win out. That’s something that the forced positivity people spout because they can’t handle bad things.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 6:02 PM

Yesterday’s failures were it. That was the last great hope.

I sure hope that Sienna was paid enough to sleep and night. Manchin too.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 6:02 PM

I feel the same way as OP. But what to do? This is as grave a situation as I've faced in my half a century on this planet, but I have no idea what to do about it.

Sometimes, disengaging is tempting. Focusing on making my life as good as possible so I can help others.

I'm very distraught at the state and the future of my country.)

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 6:21 PM

We need a quiet revolution. The 18th Century solution to how to bring together 13 colonies does not work in the 21st Century,

1) Elect the President by popular vote nationwide.

2) Proportional representation in the Senate. Note, the Constitution prohibits this amendment, so we’ll need to break with the past—a Second Republic.

The large blue states need to demand these changes and move forward without any states that refuse. 3)

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 6:31 PM

None of my friends care one way or another. I wonder if they're right and smarter.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 6:33 PM

How can the Republicans win when most of their mouth breathing demographic suffers from COVID-19 complications, because they don't believe in fact based vaccines? Liberals will not allow Deplorables to steal an election by refusing to accept the official results. Us Liberals know what's at stake, and we will show up and vote.

No matter how many concern trolls and "we are all doomed!" trolls post on social media.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 6:35 PM

So this is going to be a long slog. Some of us may not be around to see it through to the other side. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

That said, this will not be all cute and fun for the GOP. I think they really think it will be. Boy are they in for a surprise.

I believe there will be massive institutional resistance to them once the country is full-tilt fascist. Also, us "normies" truly do outnumber them.

Additionally, blue states and cities are the economic engines of this country and blue voters make up most of the braintrust that drives innovation. So we will probably go the way of South Africa. They were fucking brutal, but apartheid was all brought down when the business community stopped supporting Prime Minister Botha and his regime - because it was really bad for their profit margins.

Here in the states, once big business sees how truly awful fascism is for profits, they may intervene. *May.* In the meantime, life will totally suck.

Been nice knowing you, girls!!!

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 6:37 PM

Was Trump reelected, as some posters insisted he would? No, he did not get reelected. Was he reinstated last year, as some insisted it would happen? No, that did not happen.

The Republicans are the greatest motivation for Liberals to keep voting.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 6:42 PM

I agree with you OP. Unfortunately as long as old white men continue to dominate politics this will be the norm. Dems have to hold the line, and eventually we will win.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 6:43 PM

R10 I truly hope you're right. I think you're a lowlife for making fun of and/or dismissing valid concerns, and that you're likely a miserable scumbag, but I hope you're right.

What exactly is a "concern troll?" Someone who is pretending to be concerned? I'm not pretending.

Fuck you, R10. You're a real piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 6:46 PM

[quote]Impeachment will begin immediately and it will work.

You think the Republicans will have 67 votes in the Senate a year from now?

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 6:47 PM

They will almost certainly retake the house this year. And many of the safeguards that prevented them from stealing 2020 are being systematically removed. And most of people people who kept it from happening are being replaced.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 6:50 PM

R15 and others, they won’t have 67 votes but the difference is, they will make changes to the rules without a second thought. Simple majority all that should be needed.

Democrats were too artificially moral or something to change the rules when we had a chance.

We are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote]I am not a concern troll.

You are the epitome of a concern troll.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 8:34 PM

Things never seem to happen the way I think they will. That’s what makes me hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 8:38 PM

This "concern troll" is a tactic used on the Democratic Underground, a useless place of centrist Democrats that always have the answers until they are proven wrong, which is mostly all the time concerning who will be indicted, or what comeuppance a republic party member will get. They are always in it for the long game and are all chess players with certainty that somehow things will turn out if we just hold on and let the republic party members be themselves.

Everyone on that site that questions any deviation from the centrist message there is a "concern troll".

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 8:42 PM

But what do you suggest we do, OP? Stop voting and keep stuffing our pie hole with shit food like you do? Not me, I never give up fighting.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 8:44 PM

When I was a little boy, not that far removed from the end of WWII (yes, I'm an eldergay), I wondered how the Germans let Hitler come to power and come to kill 6 million people, destroy their nation, and change the course of world history.

Now I know.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 8:46 PM

Hope is overrated. One should strive not to become addicted to it.

If there isn't any, "then we must do without hope. There is always vengeance!" ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 8:49 PM

I will fight to the end. I will do what I can to help get Dems elected. Losing hope is not the same as giving up. Anyone who is not alarmed is living in denial. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 8:55 PM

[quote]You think the Republicans will have 67 votes in the Senate a year from now?

They'll only need 65!

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 8:56 PM

There's a lot of that going around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 8:57 PM

The media needs to start embracing telling both sides. One thing the Biden administration and representatives can still do is bring back the fairness in broadcasting laws. The New York Times has a preaching to the choir reputation. No one can convince a political opponent of something if they aren’t willing to engage with specific components of the opponent’s argument. Like for trans issues, that would be refusing to publish de transition narratives. Not publishing those doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Anyone who wants to can look them up online. Refusing to acknowledge the reality of things that people can easily look up on the internet is a mistake- acknowledge it and talk about it in a non-hateful way and you’ll get supporters and maybe shift some narratives. But don’t talk about it at all, and then people look elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 9:01 PM

[quote]You are the epitome of a concern troll.

And what are you, R18? Seriously. If OP, expressing a sincere and not unreasonable thought at this point in the proceedings, is a concern troll... what are you?

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2022 9:02 PM

Um, it is a Constitutional provision that the Senate requires a 2/3 majority to convict. The Senate cannot change that.

But by all means, carry on with the hysteria, since that seems to give some of you a hard-on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote] But I’m at the point where if my loved ones, my pets and I are housed and fed,

That’s really what it all boils down to, innit?

The most important things.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2022 9:08 PM

R27, 'bothsiderism' got us where we are today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 9:18 PM

OP, move to Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2022 9:26 PM

[quote] OP, move to Sweden.

uh, better kill yourself, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote]The media needs to start embracing telling both sides.

What I think this poster means is bring back the equal-time rules.

But I'm with OP:

Datalounge, we in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 9:30 PM

R31, but even if both sides of an issue are not equally strong, that doesn’t mean they can’t be talked about or covered. If you cover something, you can bring up research and substantiate your viewpoint. If your opponent is the only one that covers it, any substantiation is left to the other side. It’s like having a witness testify with no cross-examination.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2022 9:32 PM

I may have read it on this site but “ those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”.

—Voltaire

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 9:32 PM

I just waltzed out of the ICU, my friend is almost dead! I even got to confront a transit rider without headphones! I shit on him so hard, felt great! Made a fool of myself, at least there were tears in my eyes. Plus, my cat has diabetes. Nothing left now, except wine and music! Anyone want enchiladas? My treat!

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 9:33 PM

Even if all the stars aligned and we lived in a Democrat-run utopia, half of you would still be miserable cunts.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2022 9:38 PM

[quote] I donate to Democrats. I attend protests and I’ve cut all Republicans out of my life. But I’m at the point where if my loved ones, my pets and I are housed and fed, I don’t give a fuck what happens in DC. Just do what you can.

You need to shake off that kind of complacency. Republicans are villains intent on empowering a corporate oligarchy at the expense of people and the environment. To get there they must abrogate all human rights. The folks you love and the folks they love are in imminent danger.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 9:40 PM

R38 Fuck off, scumbag. I'm not rah rah Democrat person myself. But the other party is trying to do away with democracy, so there is little alternative but to support the Democratic party.

Take your strawman and shove it up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 9:40 PM

R22 Yes, exactly. And my GOD, I wish I didn't know. So fucking sad.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 9:42 PM

R40, take a Quaalude dearie.

P.S. Behind your back, people call you a narcissistic bore.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 9:43 PM

R35, you either don't understand the issue or you're evading it. Presenting bullshit as if it had equal standing for everyone to have to sort out is a bad idea.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 10:23 PM

Voters who are likely democratic are being restricted from voting. Votes will be counted by the Zombies. Neat.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2022 10:31 PM

Zombies suffering from COVID-19 issues. Republicans are their own undoing.

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2022 10:33 PM

R43, can you imagine if the people who claimed to be supporting history or culture when they endorsed those statues saw the dates many of those statues were put up? They weren’t put up over a hundred years ago. They were put up decades after the Civil War as a direct response to the civil rights movement. But if all you followed was right wing media, you’d have no idea. They talk about these things as “history” or “culture” and movement against it as “riots”. The war dead had separate memorials for their families put up close to the time of the war. They have no idea, probably, that as recently as 1964, dozens of people involved with a Mississippi Sheriffs’ Dept. murdered and mutilated a group of activists and that the local government refused to even prosecute the crime. Both sides means all facts can get published- not speculation but various facts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2022 10:38 PM

80-year-old, near-death, demented Repugs can come out to vote, but why not healthy 20-ish Democrats? We all have to go through many obstacles to voting. It always boggle my mind that the Democrats are the whining ones.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2022 10:40 PM

Turn off the TV. Just detox. CNN is toxic.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2022 10:42 PM

They were put up decades after the Civil War as a direct response to the civil rights movement......

R46 Like when, 1950s? I'm genuinely curious.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2022 10:44 PM

They were put up decades after the Civil War as a direct response to the civil rights movement......

R46 Like when, 1950s? I'm genuinely curious.

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2022 10:45 PM

If you take a look at almost all of American history we've been a yo-yoing mess between reason and illogic. Just a pandemic level case of the latter at the moment. Money does rule and whatever the future brings it will be based on whatever system creates the most profits. Up to this point it's been neo-liberalism and I don't think those in power are ready to change this yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2022 10:45 PM

Civil war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2022 10:50 PM

[quote] Impeachment will begin immediately and it will work.

So the Republicans will put a black woman in the White House? Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2022 10:52 PM

R50, between 1890 and 1950s from what I’m reading now; so in some cases more than 100 years. But remember we had our first black representatives in Congress between 1870 and 1897, and the Jim Crow era followed that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2022 10:52 PM

When they have it all (House, Senate, Presidency, and the already right wing Supreme Court) plus all the hard right wing states like Florida and Texas, how crazy will it be? Republicans have always been horrid, but now it seems you have to out crazy the other guy to get on the ballot and get elected. It’s going to be so dismal. Most of them are lunatics who get off on hurting people.

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2022 10:53 PM

“By the 1890s, most Black Americans had either been barred from or abandoned electoral politics in frustration. Advocacy for Blacks in Congress became substantially more difficult. After North Carolina Representative George White’s departure from the House of Representatives in March 1901, no African American served in the U.S. Congress for nearly three decades.“ The statues all date to the Jim Crow era, the disenfranchisement era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2022 10:56 PM

R55, I'm guessing if it will help the bottom line, you can kiss it goodbye, so that's any kind of regulation, especially where the environment is concerned.

Socially, depends on how much sway the Christians have.

There will be more inaction than action by the feds... they will just let the states go mad. So the former Confederacy will be true to form. Anything a California or New York does that Republicans don't like, I'd guess the feds would interfere with that.

I don't know what it does to international relations.

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2022 10:59 PM

Life is a cabaret

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2022 11:01 PM

[quote] I am not a concern troll

No dear, just delusional and hysterical. Turn off MSNBC. You'll feel better.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2022 11:06 PM

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2022 11:08 PM

^ Martin Luther King shot in the face at 39

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2022 11:09 PM

R53, they will impeach both Biden and Harris. Duh.

And not provide votes to approve a new vp.

Republican speaker will be president.

I am not a super vigilant democrat (independent) but you all that rely on checks and balances are very naive. They are way ahead of us on the planning process. Fascism is almost inevitable now.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2022 11:33 PM

There are plenty of things to be hopeful about!

The Ohio GOP just got knocked back by their State Supreme Court for their gerrymandered maps - they have 30 days to resubmit. They aren’t getting away with it. Overall, the gerrymandering with GOP-controlled state legislators hasn’t been as impactful as a lot of people feared.

There’s been a lot of justice activity in FL with Gaetz and MI’s AG referred those fraudulent crimes to the Feds for criminal charges - and they can/will bring the same charges in state. Plus the first of Garland’s seditious activity indictments this week! It’s a long way to the midterms for all of the likely indictments of GOP figures. It’s only January.

It would be great if voting rights passes. Don’t lose hope.

Plus, no matter what, we’re far more clever than they’ll ever be. For instance, there’s no way they’d ever be able to state an impeachment trial against Biden - are you all forgetting the 61 cases that Trump’s goons lost contesting the election? Are you not aware of all the legal professionals who have been fined and lost their licenses, which is on-going, and the billion dollar law suits against Guiliani and the other one?

We have to show up and drive like-minded people to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 63January 15, 2022 12:01 AM

Will the impeachment-obsessed please read R29 carefully?!

by Anonymousreply 64January 15, 2022 12:03 AM

Who will halt this slow coup unfolding before us? I doubt the Democrats can or will defend democracy.

by Anonymousreply 65January 15, 2022 11:59 AM

R63 is living in a fantasyland.

by Anonymousreply 66January 15, 2022 12:14 PM

OP, volunteer at a homeless shelter for battered women of color with children.

You'll see how cushy your life actually is.

by Anonymousreply 67January 15, 2022 1:02 PM

Cushy, R67. Those beaten up bitches aren’t even TRANS women of color. Check your privilege.

by Anonymousreply 68January 15, 2022 1:13 PM

Sweet Jesus, this thread. Switch off the news, have a cup of tea and get a hobby. The world has been a mess since the advent of human civilisation, yet we’re still here, for now at least. Do something uplifting and make the best of things.

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2022 1:15 PM

Every week 150 elderloungers are losing hope and ready to give up.

You guys are like bugs to the zapper with these threads, I swear.

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote]There are plenty of things to be hopeful about!

Absolutely, and there are a lot of people on Datalounge who want you to think there is NOTHING to be hopeful about.

You'd think that, just out of sheer spite, DLers would say "fuck you, Sad Sack Troll, I'm going to make a difference" but that rarely seems to happen.

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2022 1:19 PM

^^^ Because that might require them to actually leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2022 3:11 PM

[quote] I am not a super vigilant democrat (independent)

Oh honey, no. You're more than that. You're a comedian!

by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2022 3:12 PM

This is how it's going to happen. The denial on this thread is why the slide is underway. The Republicans just have to bide their time.

by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2022 3:18 PM

@ R74

The End Is Nigh -- and has been for the last 5,000 years.

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2022 3:23 PM

No one is predicting end of days but pretending status quo under this batch of Republicans is foolish. Be a fool if you like and then we can all put up with your outrage and shock and pleas to move to Canada once it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2022 3:28 PM

Actually, they are. But more to the point, subtleties seem to elude you, R76

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2022 3:30 PM

R76

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2022 3:34 PM

What if Republicans win the House and elect Trump as speaker, impeach Biden and Harris and the speaker becomes president. It is possible.

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2022 7:48 PM

R79: NO. IT ISN'T. There will be never be 67 votes to remove any President. Not for the next 50 years and quite possibly forever. The fascist threat is real but not through that crackhead scenario.

The election will be stolen by state legislature refusing to verify the votes of major cities in states like PA, AZ and GA and by voter purges. What happens in many states now is if you don't vote in 2 previous election, including the stupid odd-year ones for water board and jock strap inspector, they cancel your voter registration without telling you. Then you show up to vote for President and get told you're not on the rolls and the deadline was 28 days before the election. Too bad, go home. That and just declaring city votes to be fraudulent are how its going to be stolen. And apparently the Arizona Dyke and the West Virginia Redneck are just fine with that.....

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2022 8:26 PM

Biden and Harris let us down.

by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2022 8:32 PM

What if Uranus swallowed the Milky Way, R79? Not only is that possible, it's happened a few thousand times...

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2022 8:43 PM

[quote] including the stupid odd-year ones for water board and jock strap inspector,

Um, not to derail the thread or anything, but where would one put their hat in the ring (as it were) for this position?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2022 9:43 PM

R83 is running for the Anal Hygiene Party. Her platform is full inspection on of all athletic supporters using live models for maximum efficiency.

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2022 2:31 AM

This thread reminds me of "Don't Look Up".

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2022 5:11 PM

The Republicans are dying off. They will never win another election without stealing it. They are a criminal mafia and dead as a mass party.

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2022 5:24 PM

I went through two years waiting for Mueller and his report-nothing happened. Then two impeachments-nothing happened. Country is going to -not sure. But not a democracy.

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2022 5:52 PM

Insanity is baked into America. Southern Baptism was founded to defend slavery. Evangelicals twist the Bible to justify whatever they want to believe. Reason and science are resisted.

by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2022 5:53 PM

How can a party which only represents the 3% wealthiest Americans own populism? They can't. Continually confront and they will collapse like the tissue of lies they are.

by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2022 5:56 PM

the GOP may win this battle, but they will not overcome their successors, their victory will be bitterly pyrrhic

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2022 6:11 PM

I have a friend who was born in Germany in the 1930's, then moved to the US to be an US citizen in the late 1940's.

She told me in early 2016, way before tRump was elected that we had better watch out for him. What was going on here in 2016 is what was going on in Germany in the 1930's and that it continues today.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote] How can a party which only represents the 3% wealthiest Americans own populism?

What? Where the fuck are you getting your information? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2022 11:01 PM

R91 - Bullshit. You have no friends, let alone some 77 year old (at youngest) who remembers Weimer Germany as an infant. Try better.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2022 11:03 PM

R99 do you know r91 personally? I've often wondered if some DLs know, each other's IRL. Does R91 know who you r99 are too?

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2022 7:27 PM

Don't be stupid R92. That's why Trump ran as a Republican. Both John McCain and Mitt Romney won their Republican nominations with fewer than 10 million votes, less than 3% of the American population. And that pretty much represents their constituency: the rich, the military brass, and some crazy preachers. THat they do so well on the state level is due to their redistricting efforts. The Democrats are in perpetual danger of losing the Senate, but in Senate elections they usually poll between 10 and 20 million more votes than the Republicans. That's why the rethugs always refer to democratic controlled areas as "the one party state." It's true. Republicans are not a political party: they are a criminal gang and if we had functioning democracy, most of their officials over the last thirty years would be in jail and the party itself illegal.

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2022 1:08 AM

Certainly Treason is their game.

by Anonymousreply 96January 18, 2022 1:09 AM

I grew up Republican but I haven't met any years that were not dedicated to the destruction of our country. I don't think they know what they want to replace it with. Joker style, they just want to watch the world burn.

by Anonymousreply 97January 18, 2022 5:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!