Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida Evans

Why did Florida Evans not wear black to her husband’s funeral? White and gray aren’t really acceptable for a grieving widow.

Why didn’t Willona help her? She could have borrowed something from the boutique she worked in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2022 10:02 PM

It's funny, I did not watch that show, in fact I had reached the age where I didn't watch television very much at all, but looking at that link of her in that scene, I do remember clearly seeing that moment when she explodes with grief after the husband's death. It was pretty shocking, and she was a fascinating actor.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 2:55 PM

Acceptable to whom? You, OP?

1. Money was an issue, as you mentioned. 2. Not all cultures wear black for funerals. White at funerals is very common with Black families, and for some folks funerals are not about "appropriate" clothing. 3. I don't think Florida was looking for your approval.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 2:56 PM

[quote] 1. Money was an issue, as you mentioned.

She had no problem smashing a punch bowl.

[quote] 2. Not all cultures wear black for funerals.

Not all cultures go around smashing punch bowls either.

[quote] 3. I don't think Florida was looking for your approval.

Her husband was always yelling at everyone, her oldest son was goofy with one catchphrase, her youngest son was a gayling always spouting useless statistics and preaching to people from a place of no power and her best friend just walked into the apartment without ever knocking.

Perhaps Florida could use a bit of advice.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 3:07 PM

The most important question, OP, is who the fuck cares about a costuming or script decision concerning a tv show that’s been off the air for 40+ years?

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 3:09 PM

I remember seeing this as a kid. Me and my mom cried.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]Why didn’t Willona help her? She could have borrowed something from the boutique she worked in.

Oh, honey. It was a boutique, not Georgia Tent & Awning.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 3:12 PM

How do you know she didn't change when she got home from the funeral OP? Maybe she wore her best or only black dress to the funeral and was very careful with it?

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 3:17 PM

She had no neck.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 3:18 PM

She had no neck.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 3:18 PM

Did she have a neck?

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 3:22 PM

Why do yall think it's called a punch bowl?

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 3:31 PM

Gray is a version of black and is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 3:33 PM

The thing OP hates the most about poverty-stricken new widows is their questionable fashion choices.

Noted.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 4:02 PM

OP thinks it would have been appropriate for Willona to steal from her employer.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 4:02 PM

"Me and my mom cried."

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 4:11 PM

John Amos wanted off the show so they rushed his 'death' too quickly and it came out of nowhere. Sort of like what Bea Arthur did on the Golden Girls when she wanted out. . ONE episode where she meets a guy and gets married and bye bye Dorothy instead of having a relationship develop duing the season and have it make sense.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 4:41 PM

My understanding is that John Amos gave Ebony an interview in which he criticized Good Times, and as soon as it was published, Norman Lear personally called to tell him he was fired. That's why James' death was shoehorned in out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 7:27 PM

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 7:36 PM

Looks more like a uniform Maude's maid might have worn to me.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 7:38 PM

R3- Michael ALWAYS seemed like a little queen to me.

He supplemented his meager income by turning tricks at the train station with married men before they returned to their suburban families.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 7:44 PM

Damn, damn, damn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote] Looks more like a uniform Maude's maid might have worn to me.

That’s it!! For a long time, I’ve been trying to figure out why the dress never fit the scene. And you’re right. It does look like an outfit the maid would wear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 9:12 PM

My mom wore bright green to my dad's funeral. Because he liked her in green.

I wore dark green to my mom's funeral. Because I like green, too.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 9:16 PM

This thread’s not about you, though, is it r23?

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 9:19 PM

I’ve seen funerals for black people in Harlem where everyone wears all white clothing (and shoes). Not sure if it’s a cultural or religious custom, or what. It’s kind of cool. I don’t know if it happened back in the day; seems like a recent development to me. Like Kwanzaa.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 9:31 PM

[quote] She had no neck.

You’re thinking of Weezie Jefferson.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 9:34 PM

That kind of thing wouldn't fly today. Her wearing blackface and especially that face is offensive.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 9:40 PM

No Neck Evans. She was a sweet lady.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2022 9:43 PM

It's about not wearing black to funerals, R24.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2022 10:32 PM

Do you think Jesus would approve of her using the “D” word? Three times, no less.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2022 2:04 PM

Michael had a really nice ass in that otherwise insufferable video, r21!

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2022 3:26 PM

If you're a white person asking those questions, OP, you're a racist.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2022 8:38 PM

OMG, Ralph Carter looks like hell now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2022 9:49 PM

[quote]Not all cultures go around smashing punch bowls either.

She also broke the bowl while shelling peas in Driving Miss Daisy.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2022 10:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!