Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Traveling in Poland

I’ve recently been reading about Goral music in Southern Poland, and it’s been sparking an interest in a trip to Poland soon (Zakopane and Krakow). Anyone travel there frequently? And yes, I know about the anti-LGBT zones, and the racists. I’m only going to experience the culture, listen to music, try the cuisine, etc, not hook up.

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2022 7:05 PM

Get the fuck out of there. I am of Polish decent and that region is NOT LGBT friendly. This is the country that has “LGBT FREE ZONES”. I’ll never go back not even to visit family.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 2:31 PM

Not sure what it's like now with the pandemic, but if you have time to visit Wrocław, do it. Lovely city, very lively with some excellent bars.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 2:35 PM

Again, I’m just traveling through and observing, no hooking up or cruising. I would probably travel with a Polish friend who is a straight female.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 2:40 PM

Having a guide is a great idea. My roomie travels to Poland once a year. They visit historic sites, and soak up the culture. They also get dental work done, as the cost of flying half way around the planet is still cheaper than those heinous American dentists. Pierogi and crowns for everyone!!!

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 2:51 PM

[[quote]They also get dental work done, as the cost of flying half way around the planet is still cheaper than those heinous American dentists.

As my grandmother used to say, "You get what you pay for."

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 3:11 PM

I wouldn’t get dental work done there, from what I understand, the water isn’t the best quality. I know people who have ended up with mouth infections from just drinking Eastern European water.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 3:22 PM

Inherently, endemicaly bigoted people. Filled with religious superstition, which is all that keeps their homicidal urges in check.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 3:25 PM

I’m R4. Thanks for the heads up.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 4:50 PM

Brush up on your Polish jokes. They love them there, especially the dock workers.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 4:53 PM

So no one has been there or knows anything about the culture? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 6:43 PM

Very cultured people, great artists and musicians there, very good universities, the young women are very pretty, the young men, well, I could never see past their homophobia and religiosity. And Poles are NOT stupid. That's an American myth unknown in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 10:53 PM

My wife and I went to Krakow many years ago and loved it. But it was many, many years ago before the country devolved into fascism. We didn’t experience any hostility, but so much has changed since then.

We stayed at the Pod Rosza (sp). It was a great location, the room was very nice and the breakfast Buffett was exceptional. I have no idea if it still exists or what it is like now if it does.

The central square is charming. The food was uniformly good. (I like beets, cabbage and schmaltz; if you don’t like to spread chicken fat on your bread you might disagree) The vodka was plentiful.

We did the typical tourist excursions to the salt mine and Auschwitz. My wife’s mother’s family were largely gas chambered at the latter so it was like visiting a family grave site in a way. The new Polish suburbs came right up to camp, which was… odd.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2022 12:32 AM

Krakow is a beautiful city , one of the best in Europe. Poland has the misfortune of being in the middle of the three greediest empires: Germany, Russia and Austria and has paid the price …

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2022 2:26 AM

I visited Poland 2 years ago. Krakow is truly a magical city. There is an intimacy to it that made it a feel familiar. It's steeped in history. I arrived by train from Warsaw and wish that I had planned more time in Krakow. Only spent a day in the mountains of Zakopane but the geography is superb. It has an enchanted feel to it. Was there with my partner and didn't feel any anti gay sentiment. We shared a bed in the hotel and felt no animosity from the staff. The country may be leaning right but so is the US and much of Europe. My impressions of the Poles were surprisingly positive. On the whole, the Poles seem more refined and polite than the people I'm surrounded by in PA/NJ. Food was great.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2022 3:18 AM

Malbork is fantastic of course, but not exactly Polish culture. POznan is the cradle of Polish culture, along with Lichen Stary and the charming Gniezno.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2022 4:49 AM

Lichen Stary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2022 4:55 AM

OP is a fake. There's only one reason anyone goes to Poland. Hot guys!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2022 4:57 AM

Vicious Jew hating/murdering scum, the lotta'em.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2022 4:59 AM

The hotel seems to still be there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2022 6:08 PM

A lot of people told me Budapest was turning backwards because of their government. I went last summer. It was like a dick buffet. Tons of gay sex to be had. But then I'm black and good enough looking so I'm sure I was an exotic option. Poland may be backwards but if you stick to the cities I'm sure it's manageable. I'd also like to see if I can replicate the magic from Budapest because I have never felt so wanted, for sex (but who cares), in my life.

beside treating those Hungarians as sex objects, I had thoughtful conversions with each of my grindr hookups. After the business was handled. Wonderful people that were curious, insightful, engaged with the political climate, yet still optimistic.

Op, give Poland a chance if you want. Be careful, avoid being that gay guy in the country area and see for yourself.

The most conservative states in the US, have gays living their lives, trying to make it all work. The more I travel the more I understand that good people are everywhere.Apps make it easier to connect with them, but be it financial, social, or personal reasons, people remain someplace but don't count out the experience you may find in even conservative nations.

by Anonymousreply 20February 1, 2022 6:58 PM

Home of two of my favorite musicians:

Post-twink countertenor (and breakdancer) Jakub Józef Orliński. I think he is gay and I’m a long term relationship, but there’s no way he’s coming out while still living in Poland.

Twinky percussive guitarist Marcin Patrzalek. Super adorable, though I don’t get any gay vibes from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2022 7:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!