Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We're overwhelmed': Nurses strike to protest COVID working conditions

Something needs to be done about the for profit, and especially these “non profit” hospitals that cut and cut the staff down to a nub and yet somehow they have money to take over every clinic or medical service for 300 miles.

How did the hospital system get so bad? This was before Covid. With the 10 hour ER waiting times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 7:10 PM

"We're overwhelmed at work!"

So we're going to take a day off, walk outside, and hold signs to convince you that paying a union more money will solve this crisis.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 2:47 PM

Huh r1? They want better working conditions and higher pay.

Why is that a bad thing? Answer for yourself. Why would you muck up the discussion with a cheap shot?

These people are brave and have more integrity that you could ever dream of having. You have become something awful. Or maybe you always were.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 2:58 PM

Holding a sign isn't brave.

Doing the job is brave (to a point - they're still being paid, and can quit anytime). Millions of nurses are working hard every day, and they're not sucking up media attention with strikes and stunts.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 3:01 PM

R4 then those people will never get a raise. You have to fight for it, sadly. These companies will happily make you a slave if you let them.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 3:33 PM

“Holding a sign isn't brave.”

Another disingenuous cheap shot.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 3:34 PM

Fight for it by leaving people to suffer from even WORSE medical care while you're outside drinking union coffee and calling in to podcasts?

This is the problem with unions. They make it all about themselves and their wants. Not about the job, or the value of work, or the dignity of work. It's all about "me-me-me!" Meanwhile, productivity grinds to a halt, sick people suffer, and robots or immigrants step in to do a reasonably good job replacing all of them.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 3:36 PM

I hope R6 is a covid nurse so she has some basis for dictating her belief system. I wonder if she’s considered that substandard working conditions in healthcare means substandard care for the patients that she’s expressing “concern” for. But keep working in substandard conditions so there is someone to sue or prosecute when the substandard conditions lead to adverse outcomes.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 3:47 PM

I feel like these is some anti-union troll who just has to crap on every thread.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 3:57 PM

Why would that hospital be running dangerously under staff r6? Can’t they get someone else to cover the missing shifts?

If they can’t, they’re not paying enough. Hospitals should be non profit and not out to squeeze their employees for every dime. As much as they charge for procedures, they shouldn’t be pinning any staffing shortages on the union members.

If it was a better place to work with adequate pay, replacing the strikers would be easy. The hospitals is putting those poor patients in danger by not raising wages and improving egregious working conditions.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 4:01 PM

My former healthcare company cut MD pay by 20% and cancelled productivity bonuses at the start of Covid. We lost a few MD's after this (quit) then lost a few more (Covid). Raises, we will wait and see due to the financial risk of an epidemic. Eventually: 2% for cost of living (2021). All the admin/non-clinical staff were sent to work from home however their managers seemed to exist in an 'out of sight, out of mind' mindset so tracking them down to get actual work done in a timely manner - nope.

Personal protective equipment: supply your own as we've run out. Arrive at work 30-60 minutes early so you can queue in all weather to get you temp taken because for some reason we want just ONE entry with two people to manage the thousands of employees who all show up at the same time. Oh, by the way- if you are late because the queue was too long- pay docked and a tick on your evaluation. And socially distance at work---which it great if the physical environment allows -- it didn't. Wear your mask- which half my colleagues didn't - Then watch as one after another get the disease. All the while put a big smile on your masked face. Twist yourself into knots actually providing care as you notice more and more big and small things fall through the cracks. And don't complain. Don't question Covid guidelines and the political mess it brings. Be the ultimate gumby and cheerfully float to specialty units you are unskilled for because SOMEONE has to.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 4:35 PM

(cont) All the while realizing that my job could kill me. This fact: you spend your days around illness and death caring for your fellow humans is built in to the job. What's not any more is the lack of safety/flying by the seat of your pants/ oh well, just do your best, as the tools to do 'your best' just aren't there anymore. Nurses as a group can be a mean and vicious bunch especially if you don't measure up in terms of skill. We will chew on each other but our ultimate contempt if for administration- especially at times like this one.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 4:50 PM

I’m sorry that you have to go through all that because some accountant told you to. It’s messed up.

And then to have people like r1 with their nasty, hateful comments just puts salt on the wound.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 4:53 PM

R12 As an accountant, FUCK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 4:56 PM

R13 accountants are good with numbers but horrible with humans. I bet you drive your spouse nuts. I’m sure the bills are paid in time but that type of skill set is anti-human and im sure you know that. I’d love for you to do my taxes but not to be in charge of my healthcare thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 4:59 PM

R14 Did a CPA molest you as a child? Are you the crank who's been posting all over DL this morning about how awful accountants are?

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 5:03 PM

This thread is so ugly my Gods😶

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 7:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!