Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We now live in such shitty times

The new normal pretty much sucks.

by Anonymousreply 127January 19, 2022 12:19 AM

You have no clue what shitty times are.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 3:00 AM

Its bad. I am trying to figure out what to do. In general. I’m lost and I hate it here.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 3:00 AM

There is actually a name for it = Social Cohesion Erosion....Link......."Social cohesion worsens upon rising divisions and polarization in society—as income inequalities are exacerbated by the pandemic’s lopsided recovery, for example, with 51 million people projected to live in extreme poverty by 2030 while billionaires grow richer than ever.".............Sooner or later the POOR are going to get very tired of the Super Wealthy owning everything....And according to this story even THEY know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 4:22 AM

I'm grateful Trump is no longer POTUS. There's that.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 4:26 AM

First world problems, but everyday clothing sucks - at everyday stores. And we've (not everyone, but the collective society) has accepted it. We can't be bothered to spend $90 on a high quality sweater or jeans. Fat fraus love the thrill of a "deal" and manufacturers know that and make clothes for those deals.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 4:57 AM

Shitty times, OP? Do the words The Final Solution mean anything to you? The fact that you're free to piss and moan should tell you that you're a fourth rate drama queen whose sense of history begins and ends with Billie Eilish.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 5:01 AM

R5, at least there's now an awareness of "fast fashion." I have a friend who can't understand why I pay "so much" for an article of clothing, even though she knows I keep and wear my stuff for years. She just gets stuff at Ross and will buy some horrible new ensemble for a wedding, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 5:02 AM

I've felt this way ever since they discontinued the "Supersize" option at McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 5:05 AM

Fuck off and die in a grease fire, R6. Everything is relative. You can always find people or a a situation or a time in history that is worse, but the fact remains in modern times we are currently in a fucking mess with no end in sight. Except of course for the planet literally fucking dying as a result of unstoppable climate change. So maybe there is actually an end in sight. A final one.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 5:15 AM

There can be more than one shitty era, it’s not a contest for shittiest era of all time. And, yes this is a negative time of societal decline.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 5:16 AM

I lived in NYC for two decades and this book, written in 1966 is frighteningly accurate, describing overcrowded cities, homeless, and a breakdown in supply chains and the general chaos overpopulation brings. Wealthy have ALREADY started building enclaves and purchasing large swaths of forest and space do build more secure cities of tomorrow. We left NYC about five years ago because there were senseless attacks on the street and my salary was capped while everything became more expensive. As much as I loved living there, it’s become a slow rolling boil of a situation, we carefully planned to move but I know many people that went out not with a bang but a whimper.

Maybe real estate might cool off a bit Rent is NEVER GOING BACK DOWN AND STILL PROJECTED TO STEADILY BE GOING UP EVEN MORE. I think that alone should be very frightening for those that don’t own their own homes. I’m talking about whole families doubling up together, renting out garages, sheds, parking RV’s in the driveways aand living on small boats. You can also expect to see boarding houses, dorms, SRO’s and “pod living” coming to the USA. There’s really no other option.

With over 20 environmental disasters last year, government is ill prepared to help poor people secure housing. Wealthy control spending and have tied knots in social services. We were on vacation in LA and couldn’t believe how bad the homeless situation has become. I really think people that expect the government to bail them out are going to wake up to a very rude awakening.

Read the book, it’s very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 5:18 AM

So many people are depressed right now

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 5:37 AM

I expect a rush inland in the US as weather conditions worsen and make many areas uninhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 5:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 6:08 AM

R13 = Exactly. There won't be a Florida 30 years from now with Global Warming and flooding. Never wonder why the Billionaires are trying to leave the planet. They know what is going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if a giant meteor is headed for earth and only the Government and Rich people know about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 6:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 7:14 AM

We live in godless times.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 7:38 AM

The Jews of Hollywood are relinquishing their power to angry blacks who have mistaken race for class and look at everything through a lens of race. Everything. As if black people are an entirely different species. It’s so dumb. So embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 7:41 AM

—Margaret White, R17 is that your real name or a pseudonym?

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 8:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 8:05 AM

R19 It's my reel name - I pray you find Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 8:07 AM

I think it's a matter of perspective. A lot of things in the world do seem shit, but you need to remember what is good in your life and be grateful for that - I have food, warmth, shelter, electricity, entertainment, family and generally good health - which is a lot more than many people in this world.

If you feel generally negative about things, why don't you get out there and do something positive, like volunteering/charity work?

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 9:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 9:39 AM

These threads are always weird to me because the main complaints on DL about "society in decline" tend to be along the lines of "fat people wear shitty clothes" and only later does someone try to qualify it and make it sound justified, like "fast fashion is hurting the environment." I really doubt the guy complaining about fat women refusing to pay $90 for a quality sweater like he does was upset about the environment. He was upset at fat poors who aren't aesthetically pleasing. It's bringin' everybody down, man.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 9:58 AM

R18 Hit the nail on the head, but its more than just the “jews in hollywood”, Pandering to low intellectual, tribal bullshit. This WILL end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 11:33 AM

R24 Yeah, he just sounds like an asshole. Im surprised he even has friends.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 11:34 AM

This OP doesn't know tough times. What about before the wheel was invented? I was around then. THOSE were tough times.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 12:10 PM

I feel Darfur Orphan may have an opinion on this.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2022 12:17 PM

[quote] The Jews of Hollywood are relinquishing their power to angry blacks who have mistaken race for class and look at everything through a lens of race. Everything. As if black people are an entirely different species. It’s so dumb. So embarrassing.

Wrong thread, hon.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2022 12:23 PM

I have a theory that there is actually no longer a middle class in the US. Enough people own homes and have saved enough that we haven't much noticed the change yet, but within a few years as the savings run out it'll become clear that 40 years of trickle-down, radical free-market economics have created a tiny class of the wealthy and a vast class of have-nots with very little in between. Then the Republicans will do away with what remains of the social safety nets, including the already appalling health care system, and it will be obvious that the US is basically just some failed third-world oligarchy that had been running on the residual fumes of mid-century social democracy.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2022 12:25 PM

I so think (to the extent possible), people should try to get away from their phones and computers and go walk in nature, spend an hour at a park - somewhere outdoors, where they can still feel socially distanced but get some fresh air - be surrounded by nature instead of negativity.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 12:27 PM

I think housing has become so unaffordable that this is one of the biggest factors in the fall of the middle class. I live part time in Asheville, and many locals can no longer afford rent or to buy a house, and this extends to 30 miles around Asheville. There is nowhere affordable for people to live within a commuting distance of the city.

Another pernicious trend is that investors are buying up all the housing stock in Asheville and turning them into furnished rentals for tourists (tourism is a major industry in Asheville).

Without stable and affordable housing, life is unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2022 12:45 PM

Exactly, R32. Same everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2022 12:56 PM

Housing prices are whatever the market can bear, and when you have a small number of super-millionaires and billionaires staying in different places for short periods, the market can bear a lot.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 12:58 PM

Republicans got their way.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2022 1:02 PM

R30 is a little too accurate and it’s painful. That is the sad truth.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 1:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 1:05 PM

Buy an island.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2022 1:08 PM

Florida sinking is a negative?

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 1:13 PM

Not funny, R39. You sound like you are part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 1:23 PM

R4 This is true, but I am afraid Trumpism has led us into a different era for this country.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 1:25 PM

Ingrates.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2022 1:25 PM

Trump didn't get us here -- the tech bros did. Trump is a symptom of a much larger problem that began with the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2022 1:31 PM

R30 Welcome to what has been obvious to the now defunct middle class since 2008. I really wish people would have listened to warnings. Trump is abhorrent but he is the result of this, as we now all know. Hillary, whom I obviously voted for, standing at a podium and calling people deplorables was the nail in the coffin. Union and Labor towns who consistently voted Democratic then shifted.

Their jobs were sent away and the world shifted to a new technological reality that left them behind. Now you have what would have been working middle class whites (and blacks and hispanics, etc-people of all races worked in labor) who have since fallen into poverty, lost their homes to foreclosure during the crash, terrible health from losing healthcare provided by jobs, addiction, etc. The middle class is now the underclass; problematic and angry. Jobs are gone, wealth and power were shifted, empty promises were not fulfilled by government and now we have millions of disenfranchised people on our hands. Growing up and still living in Detroit I have witnessed it first-hand, and let me just say few things are more depressing.

When there is nothing standing between the poor and the uber rich thats when things go very bad. Its all encompassing; it reaches music, art, the culture in which we live are all controlled. Dismiss them as flyovers but they stood between what we see happening now. All the threads on here starting with “This Sucks, Life is Shitty, I’m So Depressed” well, this is why. The only thing that will get us out of this is understanding and unification but the powers that be have won. We will continue to tear each other apart for years to come in this era of anti-intellectual tribalism. Godspeed.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2022 1:52 PM

R43 Yes

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2022 2:00 PM

R44, not sure why you're identifying "flyovers" with the vanishing middle class (which is much larger) or trying to justify their voting for the Republicans' anti-union, pro-outsourcing, pro-trickle-down policies. It's actually not that "obvious" that you voted for Hillary Clinton, when you misrepresent her using "deplorables" of the white-supremacist third of Trump voters (I'd actually say it's higher) as being directed against "people" "in union and labor towns." In any case they were already shifting with Nixon, and definitively with Reagan—to the benefit of the outsourcers and über-rich.

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2022 2:05 PM

Republicans ruined everything with the help of the tech CEOs. Let’s pull the plug on them both.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2022 2:07 PM

If democrats could get organized again, maybe bring back Acorn or something like it, then none of this would be happened. They are the majority and should start acting like it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2022 2:08 PM

*happening

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2022 2:08 PM

Funny how everyone has a different, personal view of what this very real decline is about.

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2022 2:12 PM

R46 We are in agreement, not sure why you are trying to argue. I was adding to what you were saying, not challenging it. I did vote for Hillary, and I agree with R47 that CEOs, Republicans and Tech bros are the true scourge. I will never vote Republican, I just saw it play out in real time and wanted to add.

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2022 2:13 PM

R17:

I’ll drink to that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2022 2:34 PM

Calm down R40. If the waters flooded out a thousand Trumper trailer parks that would be a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2022 2:35 PM

R48 I'm unhappy with the extremists in the Democratic Party, which in my opinion have far more in common with Marxist revolutionaries than they do with most Democrats. In fact, politics more and more resembles a Tower of Babble. The two-party system is broken. With a parliamentary system all these factions could march around under their own banners and stop undermining progress.

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2022 3:14 PM

Well our elites these days do seem like mere grifters and box checkers.

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2022 4:13 PM

The republicans are to blame for all of this.

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2022 4:15 PM

You think Kammy Harris is a selfless public servant R56? Get serious.

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2022 4:16 PM

[quote] I pray you find Jesus.

Is he lost? Is there a reward?

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2022 4:19 PM

R34 In areas that draw large number of tourists, such as Asheville, private investors/real estate have bought up housing stock to rent for high prices to short term guests. That is a key reason why real estate prices/rents are so high. When an investor can make thousands more from short term rentals, it greatly reduces the available housing stock. I don't think billionaires are swarming into Asheville and raising rental prices.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2022 4:20 PM

Well isn't Asheville a rich person's place anyway?

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2022 4:22 PM

Dude, get a time machine and go try living as a peasant in the medieval ages. Unless you’re in some desperately poor country without running water, you have little to complain about. You clearly have internet connection, so you likely have food, clothes, a roof over your head…and time enough to moan. Even though times are stressful without doubt, we still have so much to be grateful for.

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2022 4:24 PM

[quote]The republicans are to blame for all of this.

If only it were that simple. In general the Democrats are as stupid and unfocused as the Republicans are soulless and evil. And when it comes down to it, they're all self-serving corrupt idiots running the country. For a recent simple example just take a look at Pelosi's recent statements on how she sees no conflict with members of Congress being allowed to trade stocks.....when it's the fucking Congress who controls regulation. Conflict of interest, much?? Insider trading, anyone?? In the end the wealthy care about wealth, nothing else. And the rest of us, i.e., the overwhelming majority of the country, end up being completely fucked over. And it just keeps getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2022 4:25 PM

R61 is yet another ostrich with their head buried in the sand. At least I have internet access! Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2022 4:26 PM

Karma's a bitch Ethel @ R1.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2022 4:31 PM

r62 there's too many diehards to get them to look into the corruption of democrats.. it turns into the pre-trump era when girls took to the street to strip down, take a public shit and wipe their arse with the flag while screaming like a wounded maniac. plenty of videos on all that. that ws before the berkeley incident which lost a lot of alumn. it's just as the republicans ahve become mainstream loons. the real pity is that fence sitters are nowhere to be seen. at the time, they just had a curiosity. the need to hear both sides as fundamentalism began breeding. now they've either gone into hiding--sticking to neutral zones and teritories or absorbed into -- there's little in the way of neutral PoVs even the neutral voices have pushed further left or further right.

it's a bad 90s reboot

of the christian reich

except now we have a left as well causing as much damage and blind to their own hypocrisy like the Qanon loons no amount of evidence will convince them the social transactions have long been in place. and pushing their way into the mainstream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2022 4:37 PM

R60 Asheville, as does NYC, has a poverty rate of 14%. There are many working class people in Asheville who work in the service sector taking care of the tourists and the rich. You see, the lack of affordable housing in areas where rich people visit, has started to hamper the lifestyle of the rich. This has led to worker housing initiatives in skiing resort towns in Colorado such as Telluride. Why would you spend millions on a home, or take a vacation there, when the local restaurants are unable to open due to staffing shortages.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2022 4:39 PM

link for above

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 4:39 PM

I have personally felt there is a link between boredom and depression. And being stuck at home or having limited options in terms of travel/going out/museums/social life can be boring.

It IS depressing.

But today I tried reframing it—how lucky am I to be bored.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2022 4:42 PM

R61: eat your gruel and like it!

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2022 4:47 PM

R63 look, no matter how hard you have it, there are others who have it far worse. I hate stage 4 cancer. Wanna trade places? I choose to appreciate life and the small things, or I’d go crazy. I could be complaining about how shitty life is…but it’s short, so why waste it?

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2022 5:06 PM

Not doing anything about things that bother you is wasting time. We have to take action in this life. Not the next one. We have to demand what we want and need. We have to fight for it.

Not all of us were handed everything to the point where we would see voicing concerns as a waste of time. The alternative is to be a door mat sheep who takes what he gets and never complains. That’s no life either.

by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2022 5:14 PM

That being said I’m sorry you’re in that place and am happy you see the silver lining in life. That is not nothing. And in a way, it’s not giving in. It’s a sort of a fight in itself.

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2022 5:16 PM

Questions: what are you comparing your current circumstances to in determining this is the worst of times? Your youth? Pre-2008? The 1960s?

I'm genuinely curious about the premise of this line of thinking.

I feel even developing a vaccine this quickly and getting it in my arm was such a goddamn win. But I'm an optimist.

by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2022 5:42 PM

Was a win for me, R73, and would have been a win for the country if not for the 30-40% who are deluded MAGAts, owning the libs and slurping up rightwing lies. Pre-2008, and certainly in the 1960s, the vast majority would have understood the vaccine was safe and would have been grateful to get it; the only holdouts would have been mocked and wouldn't have made a difference. But now that minority (thanks to the Republican party, including the Supreme Court majority) determines life for the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2022 6:29 PM

It beats dying in shitty times.

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2022 7:18 PM

[quote]It beats dying in shitty times.

In most cases it ends up being the same thing. You live in shitty times; ergo, you die in shitty times.

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2022 7:27 PM

Our Republicans dream economy was America circa 1900 . Took us 40 years but be finally made goal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2022 7:27 PM

r69

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2022 9:45 PM

r74 Democrats were exclaiming they would never take the Trump vaccine and that would take years, possibly decades to create a safe vaccine. So, there's enough idiocy to go around. It's unsurprising when Biden won that positions shifted on both sides of the divide. And, all this we could trump up to the problems of relying too heavily on the political duopoly. But alas, the current third parties are broken, there's more incentive for them to desperately try to get 1% of the votes in a national race than it is to build up their political base in small towns and rural communites, eventually expanding to cities and gaining the sort of power, respect and just a public identity they can point out on a map and say represents their party. Plus third parties often attracts failures, castoffs from the duopoly... than presenting a true alternative to them.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote]We now live in such shitty times

I prefer to think of them as interesting times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote] Democrats were exclaiming they would never take the Trump vaccine and that would take years, possibly decades to create a safe vaccine

Link? There was certainly an expectation that the vaccine would take longer than it did, and rejoicing when it was rolled out as quickly as it was. But this "shift" that you cite over confidence in the vaccine after Biden was elected is pure make-believe. Democrats weren't talking about a "Trump" vaccine; we were paying attention to the progress of the various trials by AstraZeneca, Pfizer, etc. and gauging our expectations according to the evidence.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2022 10:11 PM

Ahem..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2022 5:22 AM

[quote] If democrats could get organized again, maybe bring back Acorn or something like it, then none of this would be happened. They are the majority and should start acting like it.

There’s no majority. There’s a split: neoliberals vs communists.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2022 5:32 AM

R81 didn't Kamala say she wasn't taking any vaccine if Trump recommended it?

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2022 2:06 PM

I can't figure out if Kamala has GREAT political instincts -- after all she made to VP office, while being unlikeable and unqualified -- or horrible ones, since her statements come back to bite her so often.

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2022 2:07 PM

R84, tactics like yours are tiresome. Harris said she wouldn’t take the vaccine if *only* Trump recommended it. This can be found anywhere on the internet, except for disinformation sites.

by Anonymousreply 86January 15, 2022 2:13 PM

what tactics, take a chill pill R86

by Anonymousreply 87January 15, 2022 2:22 PM

I'll answer for R86: "tactics" here = "lies."

by Anonymousreply 88January 15, 2022 2:26 PM

I am comfortable with my life. I have everything, or easy access to it, I need. I remember the stories of how my grandparents and parents got by during the Depression and World War 2. Those periods went on for years. I live a cushy life in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 89January 15, 2022 2:47 PM

R89, shallow fuck

by Anonymousreply 90January 15, 2022 3:18 PM

Gotta love how some people here are saying how grateful they are because THEIR lives aren’t all that bad, as if the state of the world is all about one person’s existence. Look around, folks. It’s pretty fucking bleak. Irreversible climate change, Covid, the overwhelmingly large antivaxxer movement, democracy literally in danger, destruction of the middle class, homelessness and poverty on the rise….to name a few. We don’t live in shitty times now because YOUR life sucks, it’s because the fucking world situation is a fast approaching disaster.

I wonder what lies ahead for babies being born today. Is there even going to be a sustainable planet for them to have a future?

by Anonymousreply 91January 15, 2022 3:59 PM

Sure are a lot of people who want us to feel really bad, even hopeless, about everything.

[quote]I wouldn't be surprised if a giant meteor is headed for earth and only the Government and Rich people know about it.

[quote]yet another ostrich with their head buried in the sand

[quote]We will continue to tear each other apart for years to come in this era of anti-intellectual tribalism. Godspeed.

[quote]Look around, folks. It’s pretty fucking bleak.

If anyone here is really that worried about the world, then I suggest you go out and do something about it. You don't have to do anything big, but just find something and try to help. Volunteer or donate or recycle or grow your own vegetables, something. Don't just sit on Datalounge and listen to people who tell you the end is nigh so you might as well give up.

by Anonymousreply 92January 15, 2022 4:12 PM

[quote] I feel even developing a vaccine this quickly and getting it in my arm was such a goddamn win. But I'm an optimist.

Yes! I was surprised that the vaccine came out quickly like that. Makes you wonder what else is possible if it really needs to get done.

I wonder if Trump got paid off by a pharmaceutical company to change his stance on vaccination.

by Anonymousreply 93January 15, 2022 4:45 PM

Here, OP.

You can thank me later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 15, 2022 4:45 PM

R70, if you're still checking this thread, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I wish you the best. Please start a thread if you think it would help you. DL is pretty good about that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 95January 15, 2022 4:54 PM

R91, one of the reasons I am happy to be gay is I have no one's future to worry about in the sense you raise. I look at my friends and their children and think that privately they must have such fears for the future. I can't imagine contemplating children today. Things are in such an intractable mess.

by Anonymousreply 96January 15, 2022 4:58 PM

R90 Nitwit with no sense of proportion.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2022 12:20 AM

R96, exactly

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2022 1:07 AM

Black Americans should wake up every morning and write gratitude lists. They’re so fucking ungrateful for what they do have.

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2022 10:33 AM

Wow R99, you couldn't be more racist, vile, and cunty with that one.

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2022 7:20 PM

[quote]I am comfortable with my life. I have everything, or easy access to it, I need. I remember the stories of how my grandparents and parents got by during the Depression and World War 2. Those periods went on for years. I live a cushy life in comparison.

I can't understand this level of disconnect from the world around you. Or the inherent selfishness. No doubt your life is cushy. Do you realize you aren't the norm in that respect? Does that fact even penetrate your existence?

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2022 3:10 AM

R100 the truth hurts

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2022 3:29 AM

No R102, your unfortunate existence hurts.

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2022 3:33 AM

R101, 💯

It’s truly unbelievable the disconnect some people have. “My life is good; therefore the world isn’t so bad.” So fucking incredible.

by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2022 3:37 AM

r104 Preach. So true!

by Anonymousreply 105January 18, 2022 3:41 AM

If you think it's shitty now...wait until after November, after the mid-term elections.

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2022 10:34 AM

Oh yes.

Life was much better when homosexuals were routinely fired from their jobs, subjected to ECT, and thrown in jail.

Life was much better during AIDS and Polio. And MUCH better for penicillin.

Life was much better during the Vietnam War and WWII.

Life was much better during the Black Plague.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2022 10:40 AM

Gratitude lists? Save those for your sponsor, twelve stepper.

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2022 10:59 AM

Modern times peaked under Obama.

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2022 11:00 AM

Republicans have sadly merge with the international cartels.

See NRA for proof. The foreigners have beachheaded all the Republican institutions, including the RNC.

America is being destroyed from within. It was the only way they were going to take her down.

The republicans are neck deep in treason.

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2022 11:02 AM

troll thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 18, 2022 11:06 AM

The vaccine was never widely available under Trump so that whole argument is moot anyway. The idea that Democrats "refused" the "Trump vaccine" is laughable. There were restrictions on who qualified well into 2021. I know few people who had an opportunity for even one jab before Biden was sworn in almost a year ago. Was anyone here vaccinated one year ago? On January 18 2021? Because most people I know didn't get their first shot until March or April, and not because they dragged their feet.

by Anonymousreply 112January 18, 2022 11:07 AM

I agree on one hand that things are pretty shitty — I can’t even begin contemplating what we’re doing to the environment, corruption is rampant, we’ve been stricken by two years of plague and we live in a world that actually voted a loathesome cunt like Donald Trump to power. I frankly wouldn’t want to bring a child into such a world.

Yet, if you look into the stats you actually see that, contrary to what we might think, we actually live in the most peaceful and prosperous period in recorded history. We have reasonably stable wealth, violent crime is down massively (at least in repeated stats I’ve seen), healthcare is a thing of marvel—never forget that for virtually all of human history a simple cut/infection could potentially kill you. Go study how things were in the middle age and tell me if you’d really prefer to live then than now. Unless you were aristocracy, life was a veritable misery and hell. People fought and killed each other over the tiniest of things, hygiene was nonexistent, rape and abuse was a way of life and for entertainment people did appalling things like throw cats on fires. These days we see luxury as necessity and take so much for granted. Everything is relative. As bad as things are, I think we’ve been through far worse.

by Anonymousreply 113January 18, 2022 12:01 PM

Over the next 20 years, due to climate change, billions of people will need to move to locate water sources and food sources. They will do what they must, and this means migrating to wealthier countries where life can be sustained. Such as mass movement of billions of people has never been seen before and it will be calamitous.

The world has never had 8 billion people, so this is new and different. We now have billions of people living precariously, facing floods and droughts, loss of fish which feeds billions, etc.

The earth has never been in this state, where people have killed off most of the fish and animals, destroyed much of the earth's land.

by Anonymousreply 114January 18, 2022 12:07 PM

I've been waiting for this moment.

by Anonymousreply 115January 18, 2022 12:14 PM

Livin’ In Desperate Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 18, 2022 12:27 PM

Bash AA all you want but at least it breaks false victim narratives and forces people in recovery to accept their own part in things and agency.

Here’s a meme that captures of one of the false boack victim narrative…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 18, 2022 1:40 PM

R113, it must be so nice living in that fantasy world of yours. We are truly living in the Golden Age because your statistics say so!

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2022 5:46 PM

R113 Some 80 million souls lost their lives in the last major war of the modern era. This is killing and mass destruction on a level unseen at any previous stage in history. If anything, humans have been so much effective at killing large groups of people.

by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2022 6:00 PM

Escape with books. Fiction. It's wonderful. I just started in the last year reading about a book every two days. Do it . It's great.

by Anonymousreply 120January 18, 2022 6:18 PM

OP, do you like Harry Potter? Try reading it: it's a great escape.

by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2022 6:21 PM

R113. Which period if history do you king to live in ?

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2022 6:30 PM

The Obama era

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2022 7:48 PM

Or the Clinton era

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2022 7:49 PM

FDR’s new deal was life changing.

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2022 7:49 PM

ONJ has a song for this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2022 7:54 PM

R117, you sound tyrannical. You miserable cult follower

by Anonymousreply 127January 19, 2022 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!