Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

LGBTQ activist who took on Florida anti-gay marriage ban found dead in landfill

Sad.

Detectives are investigating the death of Jorge Diaz-Johnston, who took on Florida’s anti-gay marriage ban and won a landmark same-sex marriage case in Miami-Dade County.

After vanishing on Jan. 3 from Tallahassee, detectives found him dead in a landfill on Saturday morning in Jackson County. He was 54.

Diaz-Johnson is survived by his husband, Don Johnston, and his brother Manny Diaz, the former mayor of Miami.

“He touched so many people with his kind and generous heart,” Johnson wrote on Facebook.

Diaz released a statement saying in part, “My brother was such a special gift to this world whose heart and legacy will continue to live on for generations to come.”

Detectives are asking anyone with information about the homicide to call 1-850-891-4200.

Diaz complete statement

I am profoundly appreciative of the outpouring of support shown to me, my brother-in-law Don, and my family after the loss of my brother, Jorge Diaz-Johnston.

My brother was such a special gift to this world whose heart and legacy will continue to live on for generations to come. I am also so very grateful to the Tallahassee Police Department- with the support of Mayor Daley and City Manager Reed- who have worked tirelessly to locate and investigate the circumstances surrounding my brother’s disappearance.

Their commitment has meant the world to my family and will continue to mean the world in our search for justice. We kindly ask for privacy and continued prayers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2022 1:58 PM

This is horrible. It sounds like he was a real trailblazer. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 2:03 AM

Well that's terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 2:04 AM

people on twitter are screaming that it must be a hate crime. i am guessing the guy who did this will end up being a hookup from an app.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 2:07 AM

Gay men have always and will always have a target on their backs

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 2:10 AM

The Datalounge Web Sleuths should be all over this case!

"It was the Soft Butch Sous-Chef ... in the swamp ... with a hookup!"

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 2:13 AM

Does Pastor Davey have an alibi?

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 2:14 AM

"When asked about a potential motive and whether any evidence pointed to a hate crime, Turner said that the investigation’s findings so far do not suggest that Johnston-Diaz’s death was linked to his history of activism, but the investigation is ongoing."

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 2:15 AM

Obviously the first person they will look at will be the husband, my bet is still on an anonymous hookup.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 2:17 AM

Well, if the screaming hordes on Twitter say it's a hate crime, that's enough for me!

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 2:18 AM

Sounds like he was a gay activist, not an LGBTQ activist.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 2:26 AM

A rather long-in-the-tooth baby to toss out with the bath water.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 2:36 AM

Isn't it always the husband?

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 2:45 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 2:49 AM

I bet it was a message to the brother for not playing ball with his political cronies.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2022 2:55 AM

Rough trade.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2022 3:02 AM

Fugettabotit, Jake... it's Flarda.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2022 3:17 AM

He probably got the goods on Rick Scott

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2022 3:33 AM

hopefully they will do better at finding his killer than they are with the lesbian in atlanta

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 9:29 AM

R18 what lesbian in Atlanta ?

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 12:17 PM

It’s very sad that gays are always subject to an increasingly hostile environment and frequent targets of hate crime. Straights don’t understand this. 🙁

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 12:26 PM

R20 gay men in particular

In fact over 90% of all violent anti LGBT crime is aimed at men though to be gay

And we can’t even get a good discussion about this, even though it’s killing gay men , be the trans fuckers have to lunge at their victim hood and take it from us and even lesbians (as they’re women and women love playing the victim) swear that they get hate too.

Practically, nothing, nonexistent, compared to what gay men get

And LGBT organizations do NOTHING and go along with it

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 1:10 PM

Gays need guns. Train in physical self defense, gun training, conceal-carry, etc. The Constitution allows this, just wondering why more gay folks do not jump on board? And know the Law, what the law allows and does not allow, etc. No one needs to be a victim, you have to prepare and defend yourself, everyone should. We live in a crazy unpredictable world. Gays need guns.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 1:22 PM

[quote]be the trans fuckers have to lunge at their victim hood and take it from us and even lesbians (as they’re women and women love playing the victim) swear that they get hate too

You're incoherent, and you're wrong. There are no trans people on Datalounge. There aren't that many people here at all, let alone trans people. The reason we can't talk about this is because nitwits like you come along and stir up shit about trans people and derail the threads.

You want to talk about crime against gays? Then talk about it! Don't whine like a helpless little bitch baby about something unrelated.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 1:29 PM

[quote]Gays need guns. Train in physical self defense, gun training, conceal-carry, etc.

Absolutely. Gays, lesbians, and I'd go so far as to say liberals in general need to start thinking long and hard about where our society is going and how little help we get from the legal system. There was a big movement in the 1980s toward gays and lesbians arming themselves for protection and that fell by the wayside over the years, and I think we need to bring it back. Too many predators online and on dating apps these days, with cops not caring much more about us than they did a few decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 1:32 PM

Don't even. Andy was with me- makin' hot munky love!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 1:38 PM

R23 I know there’s barely any trans on DL because there’s barely any trans period, that’s my point, for a small percentage of the population, they make the most noise and jump on the bandwagon from the work that gay men have done for decades

And many of these trans are straight men playing dress up and wanting to live out their “lesbian “ fantasies

The point I’m making is too the average straight person, trans has now become intertwined with gay, even though they’re two completely opposite, I know straight people that came around to be OK with gays but then you he trans lunacy took over and they’re not so OK anymore and you try to explain to a straight person that they’re two separate things and they think you’re nots

In fact, trans is actually anti gay

R22 nope, gay men are instead pushing to ban all guns and the police, because they’re liberal overloads tell them that, hence my earlier post of gays jumping on every liberal cause, when their own people are still being bashed

I love how most gay men are pro choice, wait until they find the gay gene, Will they still be pro choice then?

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 1:40 PM

R5

They don’t care about this case because it’s an older gay Latino. If this was some straight or masc white man of a certain type they’d be all over this thread.

And these idiots need to stop blaming trans for everything. These same ones are the same who actively ignore gays of color.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 1:41 PM

It was that thrown-pie-faced Anita Bryant!

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2022 1:43 PM

Your language skills are terrible r26, and you refuse to even talk about crime against gays despite whining incessantly that you're forbidden to talk about it. You're not, you can do it right now, and you refuse.

Why do you refuse? For the same reason you can barely type coherently: because you're a troll.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2022 1:46 PM

I feel like the fact that he was found in the landfill makes this far more likely to be organized crime or a targeted hit than some hookup gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2022 1:47 PM

You won¨t hear about this in the mainstream news, OP. He was gay and not a POC trans woman. Gays are at the bottom of the oppression pyramid.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 2:14 PM

R31

Actually it’s mostly white women the MSM covers. I don’t hear about trans women of color on the MSM at all. The only place I see them being talked about is Twitter, but that has even died down significantly after 2020.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2022 2:16 PM

R32 even so it’s still not gay me

We’re both gay and men

Two groups you’re now allowed to hate

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2022 2:18 PM

Stop trying to twist every thread into an anti-trans thread, you right-wing troll.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 2:22 PM

Holy shit, the troll(s?) is acting like his murderer is trans. Please fuck off. People like you have ruined DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote] even lesbians (as they’re women and women love playing the victim) swear that they get hate too

Imagine....criticising lesbians (at the crossing point on the axis of gay/women)...and telling them to shut up...for reporting the very real and frightening assaults that happen to them at an ever-increasing rate....almost always at the hands of men (some in womanface disguise to add insult to injury)....in a misogynistic world...oh wait....

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 3:03 PM

I wants some facts, people!

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2022 3:30 PM

R36 sorry cuntbag but according to actual statistics , lesbians are rarely specifically targeted in hate crime attacks compared to gay men or even men perceived to be gay who make up over 90%of anti LGBT attacks

I know two gay men, one who died from cancer and one who is in a wheelchair after being gay bash for the rest of his life, who were gay bash victims

I know zero lesbians, I know that fact drives you nuts doesn’t it?

Unfortunately women are still treated, raped, killed and beaten as well but that’s be they’re…women not because they’re lesbians ….

Male homosexuality still really pisses straight people off

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote] Unfortunately women are still raped, killed and beaten as well, but that’s because they’re…women not because they’re lesbians ….

MANY women—many MORE women than men—are raped, killed and beaten by men daily, let’s be crystal fucking clear on that.

And you don’t see anything wrong with this, do you? Given the way you talk about females (‘cuntbag’ is just fantastic, by the way), I’d even venture to say that you’re deliriously and euphorically happy about it. You get off on it, somehow, that women you view as entitled whining sluts die so that you get a clearer road to the straight Chad you so crave (a man who, by the way, hates you for your betrayal of conventional ideal masculinity, and wants you dead too).

Know this—ALL men, gay and straight, profit from misogynistic violence, because ultimately to kill women and remove their problems and struggles from the chessboard clears sexual and/or social pathways for all men.

And allow me to emphasise that this misogyny really isn’t only about sex (meaning, I’m not fucking judging gay men for their orientation). Hey, you don’t have to take of your ageing mother if she’s dead long before you have to lift a finger, right? And you don’t have to worry about legitimate workplace competition if the highly-competent female middle-manager isn’t living anymore, yes? And you don’t have to feel weird about feeling resentful of your teen niece for ruining quality time with your parents or siblings if she’s hacked into bits in a skip somewhere, do you?

This disgusting screed you posted is transparent as Windex. Just admit that you support corrective rape and murder, babes, because if you can’t keep from being a scumbag you may as well have a shred of dignity and be honest about it.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2022 5:09 PM

R31 is stupid. Gay men get way more coverage than trans people, because there are tons of gays in the media and hardly any trans people

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2022 5:53 PM

Reminds me of the Dallas A gay. Any news on the Dallas A gay?

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2022 6:08 PM

I live in Florida and I watch the news every day and I never heard a peep about this.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2022 2:44 AM

He was separated from his husband when he went missing. He moved out and moved in with another man.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 9:34 PM

"2 weeks before he was last seen alive, someone stole and wrecked his car and he reported items pilfered from his apartment... His neighbor said in the days around Diaz-Johnston’s disappearance someone drove the roommate’s BMW into the backyard and left it parked there for two days. He hasn’t seen the roommate or the roommate's girlfriend since Jan. 9, the same day police first contacted him."

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2022 9:36 PM

The police are saying that this was not a random act

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2022 9:43 PM

Oh yes. A gay man is attacked; he shoots and kills the perpetrator to protect his life. The perpetrator is arrested. The case goes to trial. The criminal will claim the “gay panic” defense. He’ll find God in a Fundie church. The homophobic jury will rule as “not guilty.”

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2022 9:55 PM

R46 When is the last case that you can point to where that happened? Gay Panic" defense has been banned in most states. I'm not sure about Florida, but I don't think that is likely to happen here. If the police are saying that it's not random then it is probably his new roommate or someone he knows trying to rob him.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2022 10:00 PM

Was Milo with him?

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2022 10:17 PM

It was a soft butch sous chef

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2022 10:20 PM

I hope its not another case of some old queen chasing rough trade.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2022 10:23 PM

Faggot got what he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2022 10:26 PM

Updates?

by Anonymousreply 52February 7, 2022 6:18 PM

Mission accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 53February 7, 2022 6:41 PM

His roommate was arrested for the murder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2022 3:23 AM

Finally some closure for the family.

by Anonymousreply 55April 16, 2022 3:32 AM

Well, you got your defunded police, if you're wondering why these cases aren't solved. Happy, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 56April 16, 2022 3:43 AM

Most violent crime is men on men, whatever sexual orientation. I believe next is men on female sexual partners.

So that mostly gay men more than lesbians would be victims of violent crime of any sort fits that pattern.

by Anonymousreply 57April 16, 2022 3:46 AM

"Well, you got your defunded police, if you're wondering why these cases aren't solved"

LOL, defunding the police has nothing to do with solving crime. Ask the red states that have tons of unsolved crime. And they just arrested someone for this crime so why are you whining?

by Anonymousreply 58April 16, 2022 3:51 AM

R21 another one of those assholes who has to.make every thread an anti-trans thread and then bitch about too much trans on DL.

by Anonymousreply 59April 16, 2022 3:55 AM

Roommate is a demon .

by Anonymousreply 60April 16, 2022 4:26 AM

And a white man. So the conservatrolls can’t blame it on trans or black people.

by Anonymousreply 61April 16, 2022 4:41 AM

I wonder if roommate hated gay men ?

by Anonymousreply 62April 16, 2022 5:34 AM

[quote] Diaz-Johnson is survived by his husband, Don Johnston.

So the roommate is not the husband? Sluttiness has it's penalties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 16, 2022 6:09 AM

Apparently, according to the ex husband, he and this convict met at alcohol treatment facility. Victim invited him to stay with him As the loser was homeless. He killed a good man

by Anonymousreply 64April 16, 2022 6:15 AM

Probably paid by the governor to do it

by Anonymousreply 65April 16, 2022 6:28 AM

Jesus, poor victim but you don't invite a homeless man to stay

by Anonymousreply 66April 16, 2022 6:30 AM

This is a tragic story for the 'Touched by A Hobo' thread.

by Anonymousreply 67April 16, 2022 6:42 AM

I thought this death might have been another Eric Bohleart suicide.

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2022 6:58 AM

The victim was married to Sonny Crockett?

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2022 7:21 AM

Did he and his murderer (the homeless man) fuck?

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2022 12:56 PM

"Diaz-Johnston’s roommate, who was an acquaintance from an alcohol recovery program that he took in while separated from Don, has now been charged in his murder." His own stupidity killed him. So many similar stories. It's incredible how naive grown ups can be.

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2022 1:23 PM

So he was a kind hearted lonely alcoholic who was probably estranged from his family, including his ex husband, his brother the mayor of Miami, and his nephew the Miami Hurricanes football coach. The last two are why it would be a big story, at least in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2022 1:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!