Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prefab Sprout's "Steve McQueen" (aka "Two Wheels Good" in the US)

Yes, I did a search on Google first. But the threads I found were more about the band in general. I wanted this thread to focus on this particular album. And what an album it is. I loved it when it was released in 1985 and I love it just as much today. "When Love Breaks Down" is one of my favorite tracks of all time. The rest of the album is just as good. Thomas Dolby produced most of it. Paddy McAloon wrote and sang the majestic songs. Just an amazing album that only gets better with time.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 6:33 AM

For your convenience:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2022 12:21 AM

And it has a beautiful cover photo.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2022 12:42 AM

Wow, haven't thought about this group for a long long time. A friend who was a music critic for a freebie paper in SF loved this album. I loved the bizarre name of the group.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2022 1:25 AM

Thanks for the post OP! I loved this back in the day and haven't really thought about it in years

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2022 2:16 AM

Just wallowing in nostalgia listening to “When Love Breaks Down”, how I really miss that time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2022 3:13 AM

The 80s.... It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. As we discussed in the earlier 80s/90s being gay thread. But that album -- and that song in particular -- is the epitome of mid 80s Sophisti-pop.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2022 3:57 AM

And one of the best albums of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2022 4:00 AM

It’s brilliant. Songs from this album get stuck in my head for days at a time even now.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2022 4:53 AM

It's a shame that albums like this just get lost when albums like "Hysteria" by Def Leppard and "Back in Black" by AC/DC just keep selling and selling and getting more and more popular.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2022 5:21 AM

I've struggled to get into Steve McQueen. The later albums are all heaven but there's something too raw about it for me.

Nightingales, We Let The Stars Go, Scarlet Nights, If You Don't Love Me, Prisoner Of The Past are more my Paddy songs to go to.

He always gets credited as an amazing songwriter but for me his voice is one of the best. There aren't many straight men who let themselves sound so soft and vulnerable and when Wendy Smith comes in as well it's sublime.

Lisa Stansfield covered When Love Breaks Down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 6:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!