Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What weather event is the most memorable for you? And why?

I grew up in the south and we got nearly 2 feet of snow in the March blizzard of 1993.

The thing that sucked was that it happened during spring break. So I did not miss one single class.

Also, I had never seen a storm like that ever in my life - I was MARY’d by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 4:15 PM

The first that came to mind was Sandy. It was cold and there was no power for a week.

Plenty of blizzards I remember too.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 9:00 PM

The NY1 weatherman show.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 9:03 PM

I remember lots of blizzards too, OP. What's worrisome is that there are far less of them now and a lot less snow on average. I know most everyone hates winter and cold, lack of snow is a good thing climate change wise.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 9:06 PM

A tornado that ripped through the heart of St. Louis in the early morning hours in February, 1969. My mother was up waiting for my father to come home from work. She saw the tornado warnings on TV and woke us kids up and took us to the basement. The tornado missed our neighborhood, but other neighborhoods weren't so fortunate. I think at least 30 or 40 people were killed, mostly buildings that collapsed while the occupants were asleep.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 9:08 PM

Rejoice, r3! It looks like we could get some very bitter bitter cold temperatures in the northeast – deeply unseasonably cold.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 9:08 PM

That should be February of 1959.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 9:17 PM

The four hurricanes that hit Florida in six weeks back in 2004. Three went through the county I lived in, and two eyes went directly over my house.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 9:18 PM

Winter, 1978, in New York. It was so cold, and so snowy, the snow piled up so high we were walking through tunnels of snow for weeks. There was already a ton of snow on the ground when a blizzard hit in early February, 1978. I've never been so cold for so long in my life as I was that winter. Thankfully, my apartment in the Village was plenty warm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 9:21 PM

Hurricane Harvey and the weeklong freeze last year in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 9:24 PM

I would have said the North Texas Super Bowl ice storm in February of 2011 that shut down the entire Metroplex for the whole week while they were trying to hold Super Bowl events. I didn't leave my house for five days during that. But since I lived through last year's power grid failure deep freeze, I would have to choose that instead.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 9:28 PM

For me, it would be when Hurricane Juan hit Nova Scotia on September 29, 2003. Nova Scotia is relatively lucky regarding hurricanes, which generally diminish greatly before hitting this province. Juan, however, arrived with a vengeance. The beautiful Victorian Public Gardens in Halifax lost many old elms, but the waterfowl population who live there had the good sense to hide themselves away in safe places. A few days later, many of them left, however, spooked by what had occurred.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 9:31 PM

December 23, 1997. I was recently out of college in the Twin Cities and working in Bismarck, N.D. I was supposed to drive back home, to just outside Minneapolis, as a huge blizzard was descending on the Upper Midwest.

I made the extremely regrettable decision to set out at about 1 p.m. on what was normally a 7-hour drive home. Because of the path of the storm, instead of taking my normal route east through ND and into Minnesota on I-94, instead I drove south into South Dakota, with plans to eventually head east on U.S. Highway 12. I thought I would miss the brunt of the storm.

I did not. I can still vividly remember driving along empty SD highways, as drifts were forming across the road and the sun was setting, and I was in the absolute middle of nowhere. I really became certain that my car was going to get marooned and that I'd freeze to death out there.

Finally, sometime around 8 p.m., I made it into a small SD town that happened to have a Super 8 motel, and I was able to get a room for the night. Never in my life, before or since, had I felt such an overwhelming sense of relief.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 9:36 PM

OP I well remember that blizzard. And it was in March rather than the coldest months of Jan & Feb.. Thousands of cars stranded on the freeways all over the Atlanta metropolitan area. People climbing up freeway embankments on foot looking for a hotel/motel room, many of them having to sleep in the lobbies because all the rooms had been taken. Some areas got up to 35" ofsnow. But, as fast as it came it was gone. Just a few days after the blizzard the temps had risen and melted most of it.

I also remember the huge blizzard of 1973 in central Georgia. Up to 2' of snow fell across a region that usually sees maybe an inch or 2 at the most every few years. That was a 100 year blizzard. Atlanta had just gone through a massive ice storm the preceding month, but got no snow from the blizzard.

This is a scene from downtown Augusta, Ga. during the '73 blizzard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2022 9:38 PM

Oh, hey, R12. I was a university student in Winnipeg at the time of the 1997 blizzard and the resulting flood which was also insane. I remember both well. I had just had knee surgery for a torn meniscus and was relived of sandbagging duties during the flood, much to my relief.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 9:41 PM

Spent my first 12 years in Houston, then dad got transferred to the DC area. Our first winter there we woke up one morning to snow. Our cars were covered with only antennas poking out. We were woefully unprepared. None of us had ever needed big heavy winter coats and boots. It was some historic blizzard that year.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 9:42 PM

Winter of '78. Killed my grandfather. Then we moved to Florida.

Hurricane Andrew. Killed my stepfather.

Hurricane Irma. Destroyed my house.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 9:46 PM

Hurricane Wilma

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 9:49 PM

The ice storm of 2014 in Birmingham. Shut the city down for a week.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 9:52 PM

Oct. 4, 1987 freak (and destructive) snowstorm in the Albany, NY area. Power outages lasted for days, trees and wires down everywhere, and we didn’t have school for a week!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 9:54 PM

The Big Chicken in Marietta, Ga. was almost destroyed in the 93 blizzard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2022 9:57 PM

Atlanta ice storm of 1973.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2022 9:59 PM

Another one was Hurricane Ike. I lived in a small community near Kemah and when we came back (to a flooded house) it was to see large yachts wedged between houses. It was surreal.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2022 10:01 PM

I remember the 78 blizzard. I lived in a trailer in the valley of the mountains and we hadto pop the window on ome side of the trailer to get out. with snow drift from the wind we were able to sled off of the top of the trailer.

The one I really remember was the ice storm of 98. I was stuck in the house for over a week with no heat or power. linked is long but interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2022 10:05 PM

The 1965 New York blackout. My parakeet Twinkle was a casualty. He froze to death. I'm seeking reparations.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2022 10:49 PM

The blizzard of 1978. My parents were stranded with my sister outside Traverse City, MI for a week while I was staying with friends in Grand Rapids. When the roads cleared and I finally got home we still had no school because so many other people were still without power and the snow was piled higher than kids' heads and they were afraid a kid would get hit by a car trying to cross streets because cars wouldnt see them until they stepped into the streets and out from the 6-feet snow piles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2022 11:04 PM

Drought

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2022 11:09 PM

I wrote Harvey and last year's winter storm above because they caused the most disruption. But the most memorable was Hurricane Alicia when I was a kid. I grew up near Kemah (small world!) and the eye passed right over us, as did several tornadoes. It was a very traumatic experience.

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2022 11:14 PM

The entire winter of 2013-2014 in Chicago. Record snow (over 80 inches) and below zero for what seemed like four months. My partner and I escaped to Hawaii in late February/early March. When we got back it was still ten below.

Fucking polar vortex. Noted Eldergay Tom Skilling loved to say polar vortex.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2022 11:16 PM

The blizzard of 1978.

I was 7 and was pushed out a window to shovel out the kitchen door.

The other was hurricane Bob/The Perfect Storm. My parents were on the Cape and refused to be evacuated by the National Guard.

It took off the back roof but it blew down most of the trees out front. The view has never been better.

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2022 11:27 PM

The Long Island/New York City Blizzard of 1978. My normal 35-40 minute drive from LI to Queens, NY took 6 hours on the Northern State Parkway. I was lucky to get through. (Never should have left the office but it got very bad very fast.)

The next day I had to drive back to work on LI and spent the next three days working and sleeping there. (We were processing payrolls for companies all over LI.)

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2022 1:58 AM

The freak October icestorm in 1996 in the KC area. Didn't have electricity for more than a week. It was such a mess for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2022 2:35 AM

When it was raining men. For obvious reasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2022 2:55 AM

The tornados that rolled through Xenia Ohio in 1974. My mom and dad were outside arguing in the driveway for whatever stupid reason, and probably for the 100th time that week. The children (including me), were trying get them indoors in the basement pointing at the oncoming twister that was within eyesight and heading our way. They finally stopped and went indoors.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2022 3:03 AM

I grew up in Portland and ash fell from the sky when Mt St Helen’s erupted.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2022 3:59 AM

The Peloponnese, August 2007. Thousands of fires. Temps of 104f every day. The smoke blocked out the sun and ash fell from the sky all day.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2022 11:47 AM

I was only 2.5 years old when this happened, but I remember it. My dad opened the back door and all I could see was a wall of snow. He had to dig his way out of the front door, which wasn’t as bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2022 4:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!