Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is rewriting the rules today?

This picture makes me ask the question.

Most celebs now seem to be cautiously playing from a script, rather than kicking down barriers.

Who is refusing to play the game? Who is daring to carve out their own path?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 2:57 PM

You may not like all these people or their work, but they seem unafraid to take risks in their art—

Margot Robbie (as a producer, not an actress)

Lin-Manuel Miranda

Yorgos Lanthimos

Jordan Peele

Danny Strong

David Hockney (even now)

Christine and the Queens

Leos Carax

Joanna Hogg

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2022 12:44 PM

I would guess that most celebrities and their management are terrified of social media. The days of candor, humor. and risk taking are gone, at least for now. The J.K.Rowling story is surely a cautionary tale for them.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2022 12:53 PM

That COVID-ridden superspreader stud, Djokovic.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2022 12:55 PM

Everyone kind of has to play from a script these days. As noted, the least little controversial remark and you’ll have a braying mob desperate to destroy your career. The media plays along to it. Someone mentioned JK Rowling and she’s a perfect example. Whenever she is mentioned in online newspapers or articles she is derided as “transphobic” or having expressed “transphobic view”. She did nothing of the sort. She simply dared question the prevailing narrative. That boldness is rare. Most people don’t want to rock the boat. It’s sad but a sign of the times.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 1:01 PM

I don’t see making controversial (and in my view, perplexingly stupid) public statements as “rewriting the rules.” It should be about the art or work someone produces.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 1:02 PM

If we’re talking about celebrities to throw caution and good sense to the winds, the answer is Kanye West. He doesn’t play by anyone’s script for success, but he’s also either mentally ill or a moron.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 1:04 PM

G.

She plays all sorts of roles, fails and just keeps coming back for more. Gotta admire that about the old gal.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 1:08 PM

R6 he is clearly both. And a malignant narcissist. People like that don’t qualify shouldn’t qualify as groundbreaking and bold; they simply have no empathy and don’t care about social rules or anything but themselves.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 1:09 PM

Kanye is currently in Russia which he calls his second home. I am not a fan of provocateurs. Or he’s just mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 1:10 PM

Is OP nuts?

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 1:14 PM

[quote]Someone mentioned JK Rowling and she’s a perfect example. Whenever she is mentioned in online newspapers or articles she is derided as “transphobic” or having expressed “transphobic view”. She did nothing of the sort.

She's rarely mentioned as such except in terms like "X suggested her opinion was transphobic."

And it hasn't hurt her at all. She hasn't been cancelled one bit.

Your pathological need to turn every thread into an anti-trans thread where you wail and gnash your teeth and rend your garments over this fake cancellation of JKR is duly noted, and while I know you'll never understand this, I feel it's worth mentioning yet again that your behavior says a LOT about you and absolutely NOTHING about the culture, trans people, or even JKR.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2022 1:15 PM

Freddie and Kenny are both characters in a short story in the collection At Danceteria (alongside Princess Diana).

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2022 2:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!