Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don't Look Up

In my opinion the best and most important movie of the last ten or so years. Brilliant satire. This is our Dr. Strangelove. The final defense against these vile people (Trump supporters, Covid deniers, Anti Vaxxers, climate change deniers) is to ridicule them, and laugh at them. See them as the ridiculous creatures they are.

My God, Cate Blanchett was unrecognizable as the Mika-type "news anchor." Loved that JLaw, once she realized the earth was doomed, got on that hot Timothee Chalamet dick. And what a dream to be in the backseat with Timmy and have Leo driving. But I digress.

Adored this movie. Should be seen by every American. Though 48% won't get it.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2022 5:32 AM

It was entertaining

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2022 11:23 AM

I saw it together with a friend

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2022 12:26 PM

You had me until "that hot Timothee Chalamet dick" - that made me lol.

Sounds like a great movie in spite of that!

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2022 12:35 PM

People who enjoy watching hours of MSNBC will enjoy this movie. It' like being repeatedly hit over the head with one of Joy Reid's wig-boxes.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2022 12:45 PM

One if the best, efficient and funny, commentaries on the same subject was this one scene in the HBO Show Avenue 5. It's actually hilarious. It takes place in the future where space ships are basically cruise ships for three month trips around space. Except Avenue 5 gets knocked off of course and three months turns into 6, into years. People are freaking out and actually begin to believe they haven't left space and this is all just a charade - they refuse to believe what they witness with their own eyes. This show came out before COVID and was way ahead of it's time in this perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2022 12:55 PM

I particularly enjoyed Meryl's face... I mean Meryl's character's face, mauled off at the end.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2022 1:18 PM

Hahaha oh Glen.

I really think this was brilliant satire. Blew me the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2022 1:29 PM

Couldn't agree more, OP! It is funny, smart and touching. Obviously, it's about global warming and the fact that we're all avoiding the disaster barreling toward us. It uses satire brilliantly to highlight difficult and dark issues.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2022 1:34 PM

It was the best movie of the year.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2022 1:37 PM

R9 Glad to hear someone else say it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2022 2:06 PM

You have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2022 4:36 PM

I liked it but thought it was way too long. They could have easily trimmed 30-40 minutes and not affected a thing. Chalamet’s character didn’t add anything and though I liked his final speech they could have given it to someone else. They could have let Rob Morgan have another moment. His presence in the final scene felt forced anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2022 5:40 PM

R11 Oh yeah? What's your favorite movie?

R12 I just loved the notion that this introverted girl who tried to save the doomed world while everyone else turned their backs was rewarded with Timothee's hot wiener.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2022 10:23 PM

it was better than i thought. it was a little long, but i liked it enough to think about it a few days after watching

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2022 10:51 PM

When a problem becomes so absurdly large, and people are so obtuse regarding it, satire becomes one of the few effective means of sounding an alarm. Not unlike Stanley Kubrick's brilliant Dr. Strangelove, this movie did it PERFECTLY.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2022 10:57 PM

Just watched it. Incredible. Even down to the random details like when Dr. Mindy gets out of his in front of a mobile phone store and there's a poster in the window advertising shovels for $599.99. It's just brilliant and biting throughout. DiCaprio was incredible. I haven't been thrilled by a movie in years.

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2022 4:22 AM

Is this out in the movies? Or streaming?

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2022 4:39 AM

That movie sucked. JL, was good, Leo was good, but the movie sucked.

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2022 5:00 AM

Leo, go back to your beard.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2022 5:04 AM

It was good but we’re at a very low bar with movies lately.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2022 5:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!