Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fuel injection cleaning

Dealership service centers try to push this. Is this necessary or just bullshit to rip you off?

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 2:02 PM

Rip off. Most gasoline contains cleaners in them.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2022 11:44 PM

Bullshit. I’ve had the same car for 15 years and never once had this done. Still running great.

Dealerships try to push all sorts of fake shit. Don’t trust them.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2022 11:50 PM

You can buy fuel injector cleaner at any auto parts store to add to your gas. Costs about $5

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2022 11:51 PM

If your car starts having the injectors fail no amount of cleaning will fix it.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2022 12:40 AM

Anything a dealership tries to push is fuckery. It's like bringing the car in for an oil change and when you pick it up there's a seven page tiny font printout from a dot matrix fossil detailing how and why your vehicle will not last the night with all the things wrong with it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2022 12:41 AM

Fuel additives are a waste of money. There are legitimate reasons for having the injectors cleaned, for instance if you know you got fouled fuel, but to just do it as preventative maintenance is BS. Find another shop.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2022 1:38 AM

Thanks. It did seem like a con job to me.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 12:03 PM

Is your car misfiring?

It's usually not something you do unless you're trying to diagnose a misfire--and the usual suspects (spark plugs, valve cover seal, etc) look fine.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2022 11:02 AM

It's a ripoff. However, it's a good idea to always use Top Tier fuel brands...which contain the detergents recommended by most car manufacturers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2022 11:07 AM

R8 my car DID misfire. It was a spark plug and coil. Car had to towed to the place for safety.

After they fixed what was wrong the guy told me I should have fuel injection cleaning once a year and it would prevent future misfires.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2022 2:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!