Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Proud to Still Have Cable TV!

I am tired of being portrayed as a technically challenged geezer because I haven't "cut the cord". I am a proud cable subscriber and do not care what you think!

Let's start a list of good things we like about cable. I'll go first. I love to zone out in the front of the tv and bounce around from channel to channel, often stopping on live events/sports . The HD channels are crystal clear and the channel changes are instantaneous.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 10:39 PM

New York 1 (now "Spectrum News")

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2022 1:49 AM

Thread sponsored by AARP and Metamucil.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2022 1:50 AM

We love to overpay for 90% of the content we will never watch. I’m very proud of that.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 1:51 AM

I love seeing things as soon as possible and not having to wait for them to be posted online the next day.

I love being able to watch even if the internet is down.

I love getting both local channels and obscure channels that wouldn't normally be included in streaming services.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 1:53 AM

I condole u :)

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 1:55 AM

if you cut cable (which I did), you still have to pay for internet, usually at least $60/month including taxes etc, and that's low.

Now add in Netflix $10 and Hulu $7 or $11, maybe Disney or Apple TV plus II think $5 each), HBO Max $15, you start getting back up to what you paid for cable.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2022 1:56 AM

yes, I still have cable too. I kept saying I'm gonna cut the cord but never did...one of these days maybe.

Streaming is not very reliable.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2022 1:57 AM

You watch too much television, OP.

Seriously.

Get off your ass and do something useful with your time. Or read a book and learn something!

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2022 1:59 AM

Not OP, but drop dead, R8. I've learned a ton of things by watching a lot of TV. And I walk more than four miles every day, too.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2022 2:02 AM

I, too, am an old guy who hasn’t cut the cord. But this discussion prompts me to wonder what becomes of the Fox News audience when its older cable subscribers die off?

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2022 2:07 AM

thinking of cutting the cable. If I have netflix and amazon, is sling any good?

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2022 2:11 AM

Being able to get the Yes Network and see the NY Yankees in the spring and summer is worth the price. I do wish they would allow customers to get rid of Fox if they want. I hate that some of the money I pay is going to them.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2022 2:16 AM

R6). There are so many options outside of those premium channels, like Kanopy, Roku Channel, YouTube, hoopla, Crackle, that are free. You are already probably paying for Amazon Prime. I don’t think my internet, + Netflix is even half as much as I paid for crappy, overpriced Spectrum cable. If something interesting comes on HBO, I can add it for one month for about $15, watch the program and stop the subscription without having to battle some customer service re-hard sell. Cutting the cable was the way to go for me. Cheap, cafeteria style and on-demand. Downside is getting an antenna for local channels. But those are already starting their own streaming channels.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2022 2:18 AM

If it makes you happy, OP, then keep subscribing.

I have cable for my internet only now. It's pretty reliable and fast (internet connection, Wi-Fi routing, etc.), knock on wood.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2022 2:22 AM

I have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Roku and still keep my cable. There are things you just can't get on the streaming services. Oh and I'm really pissed at Hulu for taking one of my favorite shows, Medium, out of the $15.99 no commercials streaming service to the much more expensive Hulu live service. Why would they do that with an old show like Medium. If they do the same with Modern Family and Frasier I'm going to give up that service.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2022 2:22 AM

I have a Mohu antenna. I get about 30 channels with it even though I'm 60 miles north of Orlando in Deplorable Heaven, FL. I pay for internet and a VPN, but that's it. Anything else I can torrent or stream.

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2022 2:23 AM

We switched to YouTube tv. I don’t notice any difference. I hadn’t had fast channel changing with cable in over 10 years. I miss the old days of fast channel surfing.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2022 2:26 AM

R16) The torrent thing is just stealing unpaid content. Why would I be jealous of that bad karma? Anything worth watching is copyrighted.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2022 2:28 AM

For $40 more I get a few channels I like and the option of randomly scrolling through channels for something I like that happens to be on a random channel that I would never have sought out or found on streaming. Not a big deal. It’s a few drinks a month that I used to have going out to a bar.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2022 2:28 AM

R10 - that very thing is a theme in this season of Succession. Can’t get here soon enough, especially low that Jesse Watters is there Walter Conkrite.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2022 2:35 AM

Is your television on every hour you are awake, r9?

If so, you are addicted and likely have no friends to do stuff with.

Pity you.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2022 6:32 AM

I am sure the Darfur orphan will weigh in here but I miss HBO On Demand as the stupid HBO Max takes forever to queue up a show. On demand would be pretty much instantaneous.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2022 12:32 PM

I think sports and Fox News is what keeps cable going. I suppose you can stream a lot of games now (don’t watch sports, so not really sure). As for FOX the younger generations probably won’t have it running on the TV all day like the old folks do, so that may decrease over time. Lots of people don’t watch shows as they are broadcast anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2022 1:43 PM

OP, you’ve got something in common with the perennially exhausted DL iconess Roxane Gay! You must feel very proud indeed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2022 1:51 PM

I, too, still have cable through Optimum/Altice One. Yes, I have a zillion channels I don't want or need (religious, Spanish language and sports) but I like randomly finding older shows to watch. I'm watching the early seasons of Grey's on Lifetime. I watch it from 9 - 11 am.

For the poster who said they miss Medium on HULU, I can watch a couple episodes in the afternoon. That same channel shows Cold Case and Crossing Jordan.

I pay for Netflix and was considering paying for HBOMax (I can't watch White Lotus on demand) but I'm not sure I really need it.

Optimum is no longer offering their mini cable box. They are offering Apple TV devices so I can get a few more things with that. Money-grabbing company gives you ACCESS to HBOMax app with your HBO subscription but not any shows. That you have to pay for so, essentially, I'd be paying $30 for both services.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2022 2:09 PM

Yes, R21, my television is on from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. or so every day if I am home and inside and don't have visitors. You do realize it is possible to read at the same time the television is on, correct? Also, due to the wonderful invention of the DVR, I can pause it whenever I need to leave the room and don't want to miss something, or I can record it and watch later while skipping all commercials. Loving television doesn't keep me from doing anything else that I want to do when I want to do it.

Besides, I'm wealthy so I don't care about trying to save $40 or $50 a month that cutting cable and getting an extra streaming service like YouTube TV would net. The benefits I have received from television far outweigh that cost.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2022 2:12 PM

I remember growing up before we had remote controls. I would sit close to the TV and change the channels and adjust the volume with my toes.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2022 2:24 PM

[quote]I am a proud cable subscriber and do not care what you think!

Which is why I started this stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2022 2:43 PM

I love the fact that the price continues to skyrocket every year...I get 4000 channels, even though I only watch The Golden Girls, and Antiques Roadshow. And I have the Bundle option, so I get my landline included; it comes with voicemail.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2022 2:54 PM

Time was when THE biggest selling point on cable was that you got the Local Forecast on the Weather Channel. Satellite viewers didn't get one. Now, most people have weather information when they want it via the internets.

R10: The problem with right wing tv is, there are about 10 right wing channels total, a good chunk on streaming. Look at Pluto TV, they have OAN, Newsmax, The First, America's Voice and one other one. There's a whole universe of right wing propaganda out there beyond Fox Nazi News.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2022 3:29 PM

I gave up on cable when reality programming took over.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2022 3:36 PM

RERUNS! RERUNS! RERUNS!

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2022 3:47 PM

New American Masters program on PBS TONIGHT on Alvin Ailey.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2022 3:49 PM

I am too lazy to cut the cord. I have FIOS, bundled with my WiFi and I still (GASP) have a landline - price of the bundle is the same with or without it. I cancelled Hulu because it kept crashing and I had to constantly had to reinstall it. Gave up Netflix a year ago. Still have Prime and free Apple (they never billed me).

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2022 3:54 PM

I still have cable since I'm a news junkie.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote]thinking of cutting the cable. If I have netflix and amazon, is sling any good?

I tried Sling a few years ago but the UI was sluggish (e.g. changing channels had a 1-2 second delay). Not sure if it's better now.

Friend of mine swears by YouTube TV but it's not cheap (I think it's like $50).

I did cut the cord like I said above and pay for Hulu no ads $11) and getting Netflix and HBO and Prime via family sharing.

But i kinda miss live TV but for now I don't want to pay another $60 for it. I get NY1 now via the Spectrum app on Roku and use a friend's pw. (but it only gives you a few channels if not on Spectrum internet)

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2022 4:23 PM

I don't consider the fact that I cut the cord as a badge of honor. I have no choice but to keep cable at my primary residence in a high rise as it's part of my condo fees, but I have a summer house I was paying $130.00/mo for cable to watch less than 10 channels. A few years back I dumped the cable, bought a high power antenna for the back yard and subscribed to a streaming cable service for $35.00/mo. I get all the channels I used to watch on cable and a few new ones I didn't even know about, that I enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2022 4:51 PM

This thread has dinner at 4pm

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2022 5:16 PM

I just turned 65 and I'm ENTITLED TO CABLE!

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2022 5:16 PM

But can you DVR, R37?

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2022 5:19 PM

I’m in the Bay Area & pay about $230 for a bundle of cable, landline, internet, premium channels like HBO, Showtime, TMC. I also get Peacock Premium & HBO Max included. I’m sure I’m overpaying somewhat but I’m happy with their service, which works 24/7. My streaming is hit or miss.

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2022 5:20 PM

When I cut off my cable (except for internet), my bill went down by about $80 per month. I didn't even have an extensive package. I was purchasing one step above "basic" cable, which is like 1970s TV with 12 channels.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2022 5:22 PM

Does anyone know if the US internet infrastructure is ready for everyone to ditch cable? Something tells me it would be a disaster, so appreciate those of use who still have cable.

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2022 5:27 PM

OP still gets VHS tapes from Columbia House

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote]I would sit close to the TV and change the channels and adjust the volume with my toes.

As one does.

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2022 5:35 PM

[quote]Does anyone know if the US internet infrastructure is ready for everyone to ditch cable? Something tells me it would be a disaster, so appreciate those of use who still have cable.

I think a lot of modern cable (Xfinity X1, Optima Altice etc.) are delivered over the internet (i.e. IP) vs. the old copper cables.

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2022 5:37 PM

TV is r26's "friend."

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2022 5:43 PM

To each his own, but I would not want a TV on all day while I'm at home. Especially trying to dodge commercials. Also, reading while watching TV: that would be difficult for me.

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote]Also, reading while watching TV: that would be difficult for me.

Really? Are you over 75?

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2022 6:10 PM

I pay more annually for cable & internet bill than my property taxes. That’s fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2022 6:14 PM

^ Not from New York

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2022 6:16 PM

I'll go you one better. I am still using an aerial on my roof for free t.v.

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2022 6:16 PM

Tubi and Crackle are all I need.

by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2022 6:26 PM

[quote]Being able to get the Yes Network and see the NY Yankees in the spring and summer is worth the price.

You might as well have written this in French. I have every sports channel blocked as well as Fox, don't even see them in my guide.

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2022 6:27 PM

I'm no spring chicken and I cannot just surf the Internet or watch TV without doing the other too. I get bored and need to be doing something with my hands to keep from snacking. Right now I'm watching TV while I'm typing this and at the same time checking the map for when my Amazon Fresh delivery is coming and on top of it I'm disabled.

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2022 6:48 PM

The main argument for cable is that it's EASY with a seemingly endless buffet of built-in choices. No usernames, no passwords, no separate apps to manage. It's just there and it's easy and familiar, like a coffee maker. Sure, you'll flip around searching with no satisfaction, but you'll come back again and again just like you do your empty fridge, hoping something will materialize.

I've had an antenna and DVR for about 5 years, along with Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and a couple of shared subscriptions. I'm not even tempted to take the periodic great deals I'm offered for cable tv. That said, I understand its appeal. If you're a couch potato with old habits, a house can feel very lonely without cable.

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2022 7:13 PM

All y'all paying for Fox 'News' with cable. Demand they take it off.

by Anonymousreply 57January 11, 2022 11:39 PM

The search function and ease of use with the programming menu is so much more advanced with cable too. All these internet based apps can be draggy when you're scrolling through their menu.

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2022 1:11 PM

[quote] But can you DVR, [R37]?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2022 1:58 PM

R57 is a retard.

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2022 1:59 PM

[quote] Does anyone know if the US internet infrastructure is ready for everyone to ditch cable? Something tells me it would be a disaster, so appreciate those of use who still have cable.

Cable is already coming through internet, Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2022 2:01 PM

[quote] Cable is already coming through internet, Einstein.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2022 12:04 PM

Gimme some fucking money, OP.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2022 12:05 PM

The cable monopolies basically charge the same for internet and internet + cable in NYC. How do people get around that?

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2022 1:46 PM

Another thing I hate about the streaming services is the herky jerky way rewinding, pausing and fast forwarding work.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2022 1:48 PM

Hey, I just got CLOUD DVR! Three days and so far, so good.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2022 1:54 PM

[quote]The cable monopolies basically charge the same for internet and internet + cable in NYC. How do people get around that?

No you can get internet only for $50-70 depending on Spectrum vs. RCNetc. and the deal you get.

Internet plus any type of real TV Package is going to run you $100+ once you include the taxes and box cost.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2022 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!