Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I had a kidney stone

Alas bitches, I lived!

I have never had one before. Thankfully the one I saw was tiny and I was able to work without having to go to the doctor. Does this mean that I am going to get them all the time now?

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2022 7:07 PM

Not necessarily. I had a small one about 10 years ago and haven't had a recurrence.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2022 11:33 PM

There are more festering inside you.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2022 11:34 PM

Whew r1!

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2022 11:34 PM

It's likely not the only thing festering in me r2

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2022 11:34 PM

Did it come out of your vagina?

How did it compare to giving birth?

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most painful), how painful was it when you gave birth to your kidney stone?

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2022 11:35 PM

Nah but I think avoid certain foods?

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2022 11:35 PM

I drink water all the time, but excuse while I pour another glass...

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2022 11:37 PM

r5, that's why I initially didn't know it was a kidney stone. I wasn't peeing the same way I usually do and didn't have pain at first. Then my flank was a 4 out of 10 pain, I thought I slept weird or had weird pms. Then the pain went to 5 or flared to 6 when I moved and I knew it likely wasn't either of the above.

I would say it topped out at a 6. I have had way worse pain and didn't think it was a stone for certain but peed in a container each time just in case. I eventually saw a little stone but if I hadn't I would not have been convinced that is what it was because I was not fainting or clawing up the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2022 11:41 PM

r6, that is advice I have never taken #fatbitchlife

r7, what's weird is that I have never been one to drink anything but coffee during the day and maybe some iced tea at night. Since I started smoking pot I have been drinking a ton of lemon water or seltzer water and NOW I got a kidney stone.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2022 11:44 PM

Glad you’re feeling better rescue chick!

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2022 11:46 PM

thanks r10!

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2022 11:48 PM

Interesting, R9. I guess it's probably linked to food intake then (I'm not a health pro), as R6 suggested? In addition to having a reputation for being incredibly painful, do kidney stones ever tear the urethra? I shudder to think.

Anyway, I too am glad you're on the mend. I sure as hell wouldn't want to endure that.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2022 11:53 PM

Hydration is the most important part as it should keep anything from precipitating in the kidney, but I think diet has a lot to do with it. If you can remember anything that you ate, google "oxalate rich foods" and then see what matches. For example, I once ate grape-nuts cereal for breakfast every day for a week, and it gave me a kidney stone. Another time I was not staying well-hyrdrated and had a piece of strawberry-rhubarb pie, and came down with an extremely painful one. Even trying to be healthy... ate a quart of strawberries, and boom, kidney stones.

I have had stones so painful that they have left me wretching, so if you only hit a six, you are lucky. I've had attacks where the pain radiated into my groin and I thought my testicles were going to explode. Women who have gone through childbirth have told me kidney stones are more painful.

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2022 11:56 PM

I’m glad you’re feeling ok

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2022 11:58 PM

In my reading, r12, I learned that the biggest kidney stone was the size of a coconut. once they're over a centimeter they are usually removed by surgery. There are smooth (er) stones and ones that look like jagged pieces of rock. the jagged omes can scratch /tear and you get blood and puss in your pee. The pain actually comes when it is descending from the kidney to the bladder, not as much from the bladder through the urethra because the urethra is fairly large in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2022 11:58 PM

r13, I just googled that list (thank you for that!) and haven't had any changes to my diet, I do eat a ton of spinach and beans because I am usually low iron. I will keep an eye on that though.

I have exceptionally painful periods (I know, I know, you don't want to know!) and have vomited from pain from that before so I definitely have empathy. I have a freakishly high pain tolerance unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2022 12:02 AM

Glad to hear you're doing well. Poisoned Dragon mentioned months ago he had them, perhaps he'll chime in to answer questions. From my knowledge, there are two distinct types. I would assume different diets or prognoses.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2022 12:05 AM

Gotcha, R15. Thanks for the explanation. That totally makes sense. I just typically hear more about surgery where gall stones are concerned.

And ye gods...A COCONUT?!

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2022 12:09 AM

Oxalate in spinach will cause kidney failure soon.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2022 12:12 AM

my friend gets them all the time. She hates drinking plain water. Last time she had to go to outpatient surgery to break up the stone. It was a big one. I've never had one before but they seem terrible. I'm glad you are feeling better, rescue-chick

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2022 12:13 AM

I've had two bouts with sonnavabitch kidney stones. Knock wood, I haven't had them since a doctor told me that when I pee, if it's too deep yellow, that's a sign of dehydration and to drink more water. If pee is lighter yellow, you're ok basically.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2022 12:15 AM

Seltzer and other drinks count as water too, though probably not as much caffeine, which sorts of acts as a diuretic and makes your body lose water.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2022 12:16 AM

I went through a period of getting kidney stones about every 9-10 months for seven or eight years. My urologist said the worst food and drink items for forming kidney stones were dark sodas...Pepsi and Dr. Pepper being the worst...as well as spinach, chocolate, nuts, and peanut butter. Apparently clear sodas like Sprite and 7Up don’t have the same effect. Avoiding oxylates is evidently the key. When I stopped drinking Cokes every day, the kidney stones definitely slowed down. The urologist also said to drink lemonade In addition to lots of water, as the citric acid helps keep stones from forming. Good luck, Rescue Chick...hope this helps.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2022 12:16 AM

huh, peanut butter has become my go to 'just smoked a bowl' snack. maybe that on top of the spinach and beans tipped the balance r23

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2022 12:18 AM

R23 I have heard tea, especially iced-tea with lemon is THE absolute worst for oxalate based stones. Some are calcium based, so it would help to know which kind Rescue-Chick has been afflicted with.

Just out of curiosity, are you someone different to Elderlez of the many Covid threads?

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2022 12:21 AM

I had one like you had OP, 25 years ago. Haven't had another problem since then.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2022 12:21 AM

Are you sure it wasn't a pearl?

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2022 12:29 AM

I flushed it r25, I didn't think to save it. If I get and catch more I will strain and save it.

r27, I don't know what swine before pearls means but I am compelled to post it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2022 12:40 AM

R23, no...I’m not the original Elderlez. I’ve been a DL lurker for 5+ years and finally started posting a little bit just recently. Should have paid more attention in choosing a screen name, I guess. Silly me!

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2022 12:51 AM

Can't really have too many elderlezes. you know?

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2022 12:55 AM

R29 No worries... just happen to be a fan of Elderlez. I like reading posts by our lesbian sisters here. So very nice of you to reply.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2022 12:56 AM

Rescue-Chick, yeah, I suppose that's some tricky business! Especially if you were not sure that was about to happen. Wishing you all the best!

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2022 12:59 AM

I had one about 21 years ago. I was in terrible doubled over pain for 2 days and then it just stopped. I don’t think it ever came out. Haven’t had one since. Watch your calcium intake if you are worried about a recurrence.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2022 1:00 AM

For those who have had a stone, how long after passing it before the pain went away completely? Do you think I may have more if I am still really sore (not like I was before)? Has anyone had a series of them in the same time period? Or, do you just get one at a time?

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2022 2:12 AM

I had my first one at 18, a second one at 32, and was just two months ago. The first was was the worst because it was the largest and took 3 days to pass. The last one passed in about 3-4 hours. Not fun.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2022 2:27 AM

Rescue-Chick, do some googling to find out what foods to avoid, but I can tell you right off the bat: eat less spinach and drink A LOT of water--not sparkling, though.

Always drink water--at work, at play, in the office, while bowling. Water is the key to everything.

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2022 2:36 AM

I’ve had kidney stones three different times in my life. The last time, the stone lodged in the connector between the kidney and bladder. It felt like my kidney was going to explode. Screamed in pain in hopes of blacking out. Spent the night in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2022 2:42 AM

Rescue chick, are you smoking real pot or are you still on D8?

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2022 2:44 AM

I don't think I can give uop spinach 🙁 I am chronically low iron and supplements make my stomach sick. I did read that citrus helps prevent stones so maybe I can balance spinach with really upping the lemon in my water I go through about 2 liters of lemon and lime juice every few weeks (the concentrated lemon)

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2022 2:44 AM

D8 r38 but if I say D8 I feel compelled to explain what it is so I just say pot. I hope you never have that kind of pain again r37!

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2022 2:46 AM

Do kidney stones make your pee stink?

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2022 2:46 AM

They do if you also have an infection brewing r41 from what I read.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2022 2:47 AM

Dont eat spinach, because of some kind of acid it has it can produce kidney stone. And drink alot of fluids.

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2022 2:52 AM

Cucumbers help.

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2022 2:55 AM

I am not falling for that r44. naughty naughty

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2022 2:56 AM

R444 Bwahahaah ya manky whore.

Glad you are feeling better Rescue, a friend of mine had them and never stopped talking about the pain. Endlessly.

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2022 2:57 AM

Fizzy drink once or twice a week is good for dissolving phytobezoars in your gastrointestinal system.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2022 2:58 AM

R-C: you don't have to give up spinach altogether. Just eat less of it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2022 3:00 AM

Just had one up near my kidney last year. Was super painful - enough that i was dry heaving. The symptoms were very close to a blood clot and I'd had my AstraZeneca vaccine a couple weeks previous, so I went to the hospital. They offered me IV morphine and at first I was reluctant but then the pain was too much. The poor people in the waiting area were empathising with my pain!

I was pretty relieved when they said it was a kidney stone. Once it got out of the ureter, the pain eased significantly. After the 2nd bag of morphine I didn't need any more.

There are two types of stones, uric acid and calcium. Ideally you can get the stone tested and see which foods you should avoid... the oxalic acid ones for the uric acid (less common unless you've had gout) and high amounts of calcium for the calcium ones. However, moderate milk and lemon juice is supposed to be beneficial - and of course lots of water.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2022 3:01 AM

(cup of milk a day, and lots of lemon juice, I should've said)

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2022 3:02 AM

jesus, the life long other half of my diet is dairy. cheese and ice cream, I don't drink milk. I hope this was a one off, I literally can't imagine no cheese or spinach every day.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2022 3:14 AM

I've had three so far. Two had to be removed surgically -one had me in the hospital for ten days. DRINK MORE WATER. However much you drink, drink more. You can never drink enough water. Trust me.

You haven't lived until the doctor sends a probe up your dick to find and pull out a surgical stent left in place to help you heal. I swear to god it was the size and shape of a bungee cord -complete with hooks on the end. And, yes, I mean to scare and horrify you. DRINK THE FUCKING WATER.

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2022 3:27 AM

I definitely will have lived if a doctor ever sends a probe up my dick r52 😉

by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2022 3:30 AM

R13 here again. In regards to how long it takes to pass a stone - I was fortunate that one of them was during the pandemic and made it really easy to piss in a urinal and filter it since I was WFH. The initial flareup, I went to the ER, got a CT scan, confirmed what it was, and came home with some oxy's, flomax, and zofran. I only needed those for a few days, I strained my urine and only saw some tiny blood clots so I figured I must have somehow passed the stone without noticing. A week later, I felt horrid again, went to the ER, had an ultrasound instead to avoid more radiation, and confirmed that my kidney was enlarged enough that normally they'd just go do what they did to R52, go in and pull it out, but due to pandemic measures, as I was not showing any risk of going into septic shock, sent me home with more drugs and told me to drink more water and push that bugger further, monitor my vitals, etc., and come in if it seemed like I wasn't improving. And of course, in a few days, everything was back to normal.

About three weeks later my urethra started to feel, perhaps the right word is, sandy and mildly painful. I was straining more when peeing, and still into a urinal. Under normal circumstances I'd usually do that for a week and then give up because honestly, I'm not gonna take a urinal to work, but being home all the time made that less of an issue. A few days later, huge strain, and out popped a 6.5 x 3 x 1.5 mm stone along with nearly a liter of urine and a few tiny blood clots. Yes, it took a month to pass my kidney stone. There is also some week long urine collection diagnostic they can do to determine the chemistry of your stone, but quite honestly, nothing can describe the satisfaction of being able to strain out that little motherfucker and seal him in a collection jar.

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2022 3:51 AM

r54, that was fascinating, I read it twice (no sarcasm)

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2022 3:54 AM

R52 I read your post, did an inward shriek and still haven’t uncrossed my legs.

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2022 4:01 AM

I peed mine out.

by Anonymousreply 57January 11, 2022 4:03 AM

High phosphorus foods are not good for the kidneys. Limit dairy and poultry(if you eat meat). If had kidney issues all my life and recently switched out cow’s milk with oat milk. Chicken is a tough one because that’s pretty much the only protein I eat. Dark colas are also high in phosphorus. If you drink sodas, only drink ginger ales and Sprite/7-Up. I drink an occasional ginger ale because I have bad GERD and sometimes that’s the only thing that helps during an attack. Potassium is also bad for the kidneys. Watch chocolate and tomatoes. Tomatoes are also bad because they cause inflammation.

Kidney stuff in any capacity is no joke. Best thing to do in any situation like this is to alter your diet first.

by Anonymousreply 58January 11, 2022 4:18 AM

[quote] Women who have gone through childbirth have told me kidney stones are more painful.

That's what my mother said when she had one in her sixties, adding: "And you had a square head!"

by Anonymousreply 59January 11, 2022 4:25 AM

I used to get them years ago. Excruciating. Good look getting opiates at an ER these days (they’re so phobic about giving them out for ANYTHING with the abuse problem).

The only thing that gives true relief is Toradol injection. Trust me on this. (And it’s not a narcotic)

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2022 4:26 AM

R60 My ER doctor prescribed me opiates for my kidney stone. I filled it but it's sitting in my drawer unused. I took Tylenol for 2 days instead.

by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2022 7:44 PM

From Kidney.org:

[quote]Should I cut out all foods that have oxalate or calcium? No, this is a common mistake. Some people think that cutting out all foods that have oxalate — or all foods with calcium — will keep stones from forming. However, this approach is not healthy. It can lead to poor nutrition and can cause other health problems. A better plan? Eat and drink calcium and oxalate-rich foods together during a meal. Doing this helps oxalate and calcium “bind” to one another in the stomach and intestines before reaching the kidneys, making it less likely for kidney stones to form in the urine.

My personal experience, which may not apply to all: I never had kidney stones before but have always eaten lots of spinach and nuts. For years I had spinach salad with almonds every night. The key is add cheese to the salad so there's some calcium consumed at the same time. The calcium binds with the oxalates and prevents it from forming stones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2022 8:00 PM

interesting r62, and that makes sense. Almost all of my bean, spinach etc has been eaten with cheese except for the peanut butter so I likely need to add cheese to the peanut butter (lol, no) or stop with the peanut butter (yup). I love knowing the chemistry /science behind the 'why' of things.

by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2022 8:09 PM

Also look at what type of beans.....navy beans are high in oxalates but kidney beans are not, for example.

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2022 8:16 PM

Does it have to be cheese, or could you take some milk instead?

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2022 9:47 PM

Do take care. Can you imagine this site without you? Yawnsville, possum. Positively Yawnsville. Because you and I are of an age, this gives me something new to worry about... (sheeit!)

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2022 10:53 PM

It's weird r65- cheese is my favorite but I loathe drinking milk. Even typing that almost made me wretch. I can live without peanut butter, it's just munchies when I smoke.

r66, you're an angel who is going to live forever, never fear!

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2022 10:59 PM

This thread is pure body horror.

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2022 11:00 PM

. Cannabis does not cause kidney stones. You should only eat cannabis.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2022 11:04 PM

R17, it's kind of you to remember that of me. That particular bout lasted months, but finally the pain went away. I didn't consciously pass a stone; it just gradually diminished. I think that one may have dissolved (knock on wood), since I had taken to drinking large amounts of water with either lemon or lime juice in it. Something else I've found to be helpful is tart cherry juice and cranberry juice - not the cocktails, but as close to real juice as possible.

In order to encourage my water intake, I've started using sparkling water. It helps me drink more, and I've cut out pretty much all sodas.

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2022 4:02 AM

R70 Hey Dragon, yes I was a bit concerned, as I hadn't read a follow up post from you in that thread... Glad to hear you're past it! (though you may not have actually passed it) From several people I've heard a kidney stone can be more painful than both natural childbirth, and a full facelift.

by Anonymousreply 71January 13, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote]From several people I've heard a kidney stone can be more painful than both natural childbirth, and a full facelift.

Well, R71, from the standpoint of experience, I cannot speak to either of those. ;)

But on the many occasions in which I've passed stones since my first in 1994, to date it's the most painful thing I've endured. The only other thing that has come close is when I ripped a tendon in my left knee, which has popped out of joint on a few occasions since the initial tear. One notable incident was when I was leaving a theater after a viewing of Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. My leg caught on one of the theater seats which was extended out, and the knee ripped again.

When I saw that episode of Family Guy, I totally commiserated. :D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 13, 2022 1:28 AM

R72 Argh... Sounds dreadful! I've broken both wrists (at different times) and each of those instances were the most pain I've ever known. Drugs couldn't touch the pain. I suppose what doesn't kill us makes us stronger for it. Watch that knee!

by Anonymousreply 73January 13, 2022 1:46 AM

The residual pain has passed so hopefully that will be all there was to it. Poison3d Dragon, I am glad you made it through!

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2022 6:35 PM

I'm a fattie. In the past ten years, I've lost significant amounts of weight twice. And each time, after losing over fifty pounds, that weight loss was eventually accompanied by excruciating bouts with kidney stones. I was thinner, but so often in so much pain. And I always drink a lot of liquids, a minimum of a half-gallon daily.

The thing is, I vastly improved my eating habits each time. I was consuming very, very little meat, almost no refined carbs or rice. I mostly ate a wide a variety of vegetables. I really was eating so damned healthy. And I was rewarded with kidney stones each time.

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2022 7:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!