Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Was Your Favorite Show On ABC TGIF Friday

So what show as a kid did you absolutely have to watch on ABC TGIF

Vote below and discuss

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2022 9:33 PM

none of the above

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2022 10:09 PM

OP the superlative and most gay-friendly one TEEN ANGEL is missing.

It’s such a pity that the young men of the cast didn’t do more in entertainment. Lead actor Mike Damus was hilarious and so clever, Corbin Allred was appealing and natural onscreen, and Jordan Brower was beautiful and endearing as well as magnetic. They all could have had fantastic careers. But who knows, maybe they’re happier and better off out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2022 12:13 PM

Dinosaurs is very underrated. It was a sitcom with tons of dark satirical humor about modern society but with dinosaurs. Definitely in may ways ahead of its time. Deserves to be up there with The Critic, Duckman and The Oblongs for obscure satirical comedies that deserve some type of reboot.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 12:32 PM

Just the Ten of Us

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 1:08 PM

r4 heather langenkamp?

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 1:10 PM

The underappreciated and sadly-forgotten ODD MAN OUT (2000) is also missing. Writers from the 90s-era of THE SIMPSONS wrote for this show. It should have gotten one more season, or at least a double-length finale special.

Boasting the talents of the luminous Markie Post (aka Christine from NIGHT COURT!), Jessica Capshaw (aka Arizona from GREY’S ANATOMY!), & Natalia Cigliuti (aka Anita Santos-Warner from ALL MY CHILDREN!), and also starring a teenaged Erik Von Detten, Trevor Fehrman, & Vicki Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2022 1:32 PM

When I moved out at age 19 (in 1999), 'Sabrina' was still appointment viewing. I didn't realize it at the time, but I enjoyed the camp aspect...and definitely the talking cat. The guest stars (Britney, etc.) were also all on point for the time.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2022 3:52 PM

Going Places with Heather Locklear and Alan Ruck.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2022 6:03 PM

I watched a lot of Step by Step starring Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2022 6:07 PM

Was Mr Belvedere on TGIF? I don’t remember that. All I remember about that show is my mom pointing out the actress who played the daughter got a bad nose job

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2022 6:08 PM

NO! Mr. Belvedere was NOT a part of TGIF. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2022 6:13 PM

Correct r11 it was on with that shitty Benson.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2022 6:15 PM

Apart from Dinosaurs, I also loved Boy Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Mainly because if you look behind the corny premises, they both had some things I think were resonant to millennials.

Sabrina was campy and very subversive. It featured funny, intelligent and attractive female characters with strong female relationships too. It was Sabrina had her two hilarious aunts and her best girl friends who she was loyal to. Her boyfriend Harvey while an air-headed jock was sweet, sensitive, very caring and always supportive towards her. In fact, he only breaks up with her because she lied to him about her magical powers (a very realistic and very valid reason for a breakup too, not some lame TV trope of petty misunderstandings, cheating and jealousy). Salem was great comic relief and his voice (by Nick Bakay) was amazing. He was a jerk but with a heart of gold. The show definitely seemed very feminist in retrospect.

Boy Meets World resonates because it had well-written male relationships and portrayed a healthy masculinity. Not many TV characters have that type of male intimacy. I love how the writers even put in sly jokes about Cory and Shawn and Eric and Jack coming across as gay couples to strangers. Also Shawn's whole backstory is handled well, it's sad and relatable. I didn't like Cory and Topanga together, always felt forced, no chemistry. I think the writers could have had them break up and stay friends. I always thought Will Friedle was hot, nothing sexier than a good-looking guy who is funny and make fun of himself.

Step by Step really needed the gorgeous Sasha Mitchell to be funny. It really could have been Cody and Dana bantering back and forth because that was the only funny moments I remember. I kinda like that it was a more cynical version of The Brady Bunch because the kids hated each other and the parents while well-meaning came across as self-absorbed and clearly had a sexually-charged marriage.

Family Matters was pretty good. It had some edgy humor, meaningful episodes and by the later seasons, it abandoned its family-oriented aspect altogether. The characters were far from idealized too, Eddie was a horndog, Laura was self-righteous and Carl had a short temper. Steve though needed to be reared in because his antics got so tired and he really was the reason people see the show as cornier than it was. Other characters made that show funny too like Mother Winslow, Aunt Rachel, Waldo and Myra.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2022 9:06 PM

Cory x Shawn should have been endgame😔

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2022 12:08 PM

None. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2022 12:18 PM

Not the mama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 12:22 PM

Who was home on a Friday night?

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 3:07 PM

They all had that same raspy-voiced white male singer Jesse Frederick singing about nostalgia and the big bold yellow font.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2022 12:24 AM

[quote] Was Mr Belvedere on TGIF? I don’t remember that.

The TGIF lineup in 1988 was

Full House - Mr. Belvedere - Perfect Strangers - Just The 10 of Us

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2022 12:59 AM

Why is "None" not an option?

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2022 1:03 AM

When ABC Family started around 2001 (after Disney bought Fox Family which Fox bought from CBN - hence The 700 Club still airing till this day). All ABC Family daytime line-up consisted of was 80s and 90s sitcom reruns like Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, Who's The Boss, Sister, Sister, and Growing Pains. By the late 2000s, it included many early 2000s sitcoms like 8 Simple Rules, That 70s Show, My Wife and Kids and Grounded for Life. It was the TGIF network basically.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2022 1:07 AM

I also forget ABC Family also aired reruns of Boy Meets World and Sabrina in the mid-2000s as well. The network is the major reason why younger Millennials and early Gen Z know these shows.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2022 1:09 AM

Step by Step theme song was a masterpiece and I loved the opening credits where they didn't bother to replace one of the kids who was recast from the pilot lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2022 3:35 PM

R17 Most of us were at home on a Friday night when we were 12 years old. Sorry you weren't, you stinkin' whorebag!

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2022 3:41 PM

Patrick Duffy was such a DILF and Suzanne looked hotter in Step by Step than she ever did on Three's Company.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2022 5:42 PM

I'm surprised Perfect Strangers has the most votes so far.

I picked Boy Meets World for the same reasons as r13, plus I liked Shawn and Angela's relationship. Sabrina is a close second.

Is it just me, or were Frank and Carol from Step by Step asshole parents? They got married in secret, then told their kids, "This is your life now. Deal with it."

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2022 6:47 PM

Shawn and Angela's relationship felt more organic, there was buildup and I also respect the writers stuck to their guns about the interracial angle. Apparently there was controversy from parents similar to the Zack and Lisa relationship on Saved by The Bell. But the BMW writers stuck with it. Angela was also dark-skinned and wore her hair in natural styles and she was not a stereotype and they made never a big deal about her being black too.

Cory and Topanga just felt like the writers caving into fan pressure. Also I hated how they retconned their relationship. In the first season, Topanga was this weird hippy girl and Cory found her annoying. It's implied they didn't even know each other until they were forced to work on an assignment together. Yet once they start dating in high school, Cory claims he and Topanga were in love since preschool. Granted, the show retconned a lot and rebooted itself at least 3 different times during its run.

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2022 6:56 PM

R23 I love how the fake CGI ocean looks near the rollercoaster at the end and the fact the show is set in Port Washington, Wisconsin but they're at Six Flags in California too.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2022 7:09 PM

Perfect strangers was the only one that wasn't focused on teens and families.

That being said, I do have a soft spot for Boy Meets World. The boys were cute and grew up nicely over the run 0f the show.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2022 7:19 PM

I imagine that's why Seinfeld, Frasier and Friends seemed fresh and groundbreaking at the time. Neither were focused on families, teens or workplaces. Something that we take for granted today.

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2022 7:52 PM

R30 Those examples also had outstanding writers, which this TGIF bullshit never had.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2022 7:54 PM

Most DLers were in their 30s or 40s when this line-up was on OP and spending Friday nights at the Velvet Spike trolling for cock.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2022 7:59 PM

Wow, there are people that old here? I wasn’t even alive when this lineup was on.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2022 8:05 PM

R1, None of the above was my favorite too.

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2022 8:41 PM

R34 I preferred NBC's "Must See Thursday" myself.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2022 9:00 PM

Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2022 9:20 PM

Boy Meets World for sure.

I feel really lucky to have had the 90s childhood I did.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2022 9:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!